Ship Library

Can anyone tell me how the library works on the ship? Do you check books out for a period of time or the duration of the cruise or is it a leave books and take books type of situation?

There's no check-out system, just take the books and put them back at the end of the cruise.

Sadly most ships have done away with the sit down area of the library. I enjoyed the quit reading. The library is now just a book shelf and can be a little hard to find, on recent Vision cruise there were displays partly blocking it. I added a couple of books

On Liberty (in May 2017, at least) it is just a bookshelf area with a few arm chairs, in the hallway to pass from one side of the ship to the other (deck 9). No system in place, and the shelves weren't full by any stretch. However.....when we were there in May, it was a "good luck finding anything in English" adventure. The books were overwhelmingly in other languages.

If you're relying on it to find reading material....might be better off to bring your own (and then if you feel so inclined, leave it behind for the next guest).

Actually there is a check out system on some ships. Last cruise the librarian kept regular hours and manned the sign-out sheet. It is a shame that the libraries are not receiving the attention they deserve from the cruise line as many wish to use them.

In addition to the books for check-out (they usually have a Royal Caribbean sticker on them), there is usually also an area for book swap or donation.

Actually there is a check out system on some ships. Last cruise the librarian kept regular hours and manned the sign-out sheet. It is a shame that the libraries are not receiving the attention they deserve from the cruise line as many wish to use them.

In addition to the books for check-out (they usually have a Royal Caribbean sticker on them), there is usually also an area for book swap or donation.

Really? Curious what ship. I've never seen a librarian on duty.

I still enjoy reading books and bring my own on cruises. But unfortunately over last 25 yrs Libraries and book selection on cruise ships are going the way of reading on tablets..

Do you mean that both libraries and tablets are both getting obsolete?

Just off Explorer where the library is a library/game room. Tried to sit in there one afternoon to catch up on some reading and it was louder in there than the Promenade.

Sent from my iPad using Forums

I thought the library on Indy just recently was quite good.

Huge amount of space, plenty of seating for reading and playing the table games available to you. EVen some magazines some kind souls had left there. Yes there were books in another language but still enough in the English language to choose from. I enjoyed being there but then again it could be I am just a sad old whatsit.

Youngsters today,whilst not wanting to tar them all with the same brush, concentrate more on those small things that they click on all day. Many I believe are missing out especially on Social skills but then again that's another story I suppose!

Just off Explorer where the library is a library/game room. Tried to sit in there one afternoon to catch up on some reading and it was louder in there than the Promenade.

Sent from my iPad using Forums

I've had that happen too, it's kind of annoying.

I was always taught that libraries are supposed to be quiet, but I guess not so much anymore.

Even our local library is noisy. I rarely go there (I love my Kindle!!) but when I'm getting the oil changed on my car I do walk over there and was shocked at how noisy it was. People talking out loud, kids talking even louder, even the librarians wanting to chat with every single person that comes up to the desk. I couldn't concentrate on reading, I just play Hay Day while I wait for my car.

Really? Curious what ship. I've never seen a librarian on duty.

The Queen Mary 2 has an 8,000 volume library. The books are terrific and on all subjects. There is a librarian and a check-out process. Lovely and clean chairs looking out aft . Books must be returned or you are charged .

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

The Queen Mary 2 has an 8,000 volume library. The books are terrific and on all subjects. There is a librarian and a check-out process. Lovely and clean chairs looking out aft . Books must be returned or you are charged .

Interesting.

I must have misunderstood the other post by truffles2 because I thought the poster was saying they saw a librarian on a Royal Caribbean ship.

Interesting.

I must have misunderstood the other post by truffles2 because I thought the poster was saying they saw a librarian on a Royal Caribbean ship.

Sadly , libraries have been replaced with money making venues .

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Do you mean that both libraries and tablets are both getting obsolete?

Misplaced modifier, but before you point that out, you might address the use of "getting". I know it's a word that has worked its way into everyday usage, but I remember my college professor observing me during student teaching taking off a point for every "get" or "got" in my lecture.

Sadly , libraries have been replaced with money making venues .
True, but I suspect that another huge (and possibly more relevant) factor is the proliferation of e-readers.

I side with the it's-about-money-making-venues argument; but I think the ship, if asked, would use the growing popularity of e-readers as an excuse for this coffer-friendly choice.

When our kids were younger and we sailed with everyone in one cabin, we purposefully booked a room on the same floor as the library. We used the library as a quiet place away from the family room. Additionally, my kids VERY MUCH enjoyed the puzzles that were left on the library desk daily; I haven't looked for them recently and don't know if they're still "a thing".

Yes - that was true on the Freedom in May. A staff member kept regular hours there (at least for the beginning of the cruise) and I had to actually check out the books (limit of two). There was a decent collection of books and more than once I was tempted to stop and sit whenever I walked through. Perhaps this was done because this was a transatlantic longer cruise with lots of sea days??

Yes - that was true on the Freedom in May. A staff member kept regular hours there (at least for the beginning of the cruise) and I had to actually check out the books (limit of two). There was a decent collection of books and more than once I was tempted to stop and sit whenever I walked through. Perhaps this was done because this was a transatlantic longer cruise with lots of sea days??

That was the case in February on Vision for us, there was a lady Manning a desk and she had a computer with book records.

Pauline brought her own book and put it on a shelf in a glass cabinet when she was finished. We passed an hour later and it was gone.

Sent from my Kestrel using Forums mobile app