Warning for AIBP users

satxdiver

Iam on the Ruby right now. Two nights agoI ordered a $9 drink from the menu which of course has a 15% gratuity added. I was under the impression that the AIBPcovered any drink priced $10 or less. Soimagine my surprise when the $9 drink is NOT INCLUDED since the total pricewith gratuity is $10.35 which was billed to my folio. So warning for all AIBP users, the totalprice INCLUDING GRATUITY must be less than $10. Princess has increased the price of their drinks so no quite a few arebeyond the $10 limit on the AIBP.

I'd query that with Guest Services. Mistakes can happen. We kept getting charged for drinks from the Sanctuary and after a few days realised that the steward wasn't using the folio number or something so it hadn't registered that we had the AIBP.

Iam on the Ruby right now. Two nights agoI ordered a $9 drink from the menu which of course has a 15% gratuity added. I was under the impression that the AIBPcovered any drink priced $10 or less. Soimagine my surprise when the $9 drink is NOT INCLUDED since the total pricewith gratuity is $10.35 which was billed to my folio. So warning for all AIBP users, the totalprice INCLUDING GRATUITY must be less than $10. Princess has increased the price of their drinks so no quite a few arebeyond the $10 limit on the AIBP.

Surely that cannot be right. If your AIBP states drinks priced at $10 or less are included, that cannot include gratuity. That is an additional service that you pay for over and above the cost of the drink.

Then it must state that somewhere, either in small or large print.

It does.

Above the Onboard Reservations selection for our upcoming cruise it states:

"Packages are not added to your booking until they are paid for. Prices include gratuity."

And for the AIBP it then states:

"All-Inclusive Package features any drink up to $10 including cocktails, wine, beer, bottled water, sodas, specialty coffees & more! A 40% discount on bottles of wine (below $100 retail) is also offered on bottles purchased in bars, dining rooms or specialty restaurants."

which I understand to mean that the $10 limit is excluding gratuities since:

a) they have already been paid by the AIBP purchase

b) Princess always shows prices excluding gratuities on USD cruises (but inclusive on AUD cruises).

We were on Crown in June and had an AIBP and had no problem ordering drinks up to and including $10. In fact we had quite a few martinis that were $10 and did not have to pay any extra or have the order refused.

This does not sound correct and I would challenge it at passenger services. The actual cost of the AIBP is $49.96/pp/day which covers any drink menu priced up to $10. When you purchase the package the 15% or $7.49 is added to the price for a total of $57.45/pp/day.

Unfortunately it is not uncommon to be charged for a drink even when having the AIBP. It is a pain, but once identified to Passenger Services the charge is removed.

The usual explanation is that the server or bartender didn't run your card through electronically, and just took your information to manually run the charge through later - usually if their computer is down. It is also very common when getting a coffee on the Royal in La Patisserie. If they are busy the staff just write down folio numbers and run them later. In that instance we don't even go to Passenger Services until the last day.

Unfortunately, it looks like you got hosed.

Surely they would not lower the threshold to $8.69 in such a sneaky way. I'm with the others that think it is a mistake or other misunderstanding. As suggested do get these reviewed. Not to spend your valuable vacation time in line just to save a couple of dollars but to confirm this or correct this for everyone on this board, and if it is occasionally happening improperly correcting for others on board, and saving you more than a few dollars testing the bartender's for the rest of your cruise :)

I've only cruised on Princess for the first time earlier this year and did not purchase any packages so have little experience. I wonder how this could even happen.

I'd expect that when the computer would automatically determine the correct price once pax account card has been swiped. This implies the pricing is manual or the server overrode the computer. If that is the case then the situation needs to be brought to management's attention so that they have the opportunity to correct any incorrect procedure.

If though the price us determined automatically then it would happen ship wide and I'd expect more complaints on CC

I too would appreciate knowing the ship management's response.

Wasn't on Ruby but was on Majestic last month, I order $10 glasses of wine.....me thinks somebody should not have posted this without checking with GR or management on the ship.

BTW on this cruise I was charged for 3 drink that had to be removed, 2 in the MDR and one at a bar.

But if this is the future ..I'll be curious what happens on my cruise at the end of this month.

It seems to me that they didn't catch your package on your file... otherwise would you not have just been charged $0.35 for going over $10 if that was truly the rule?

Did someone onboard actually tell you that the gratuity amount has to be included for the $10 drink price, or are you speculating based on your bill?

Gratuity should not be charged on any drink with the AIBP.

It's already paid for when you purchase the package.

OP's server was wrong.

It's ANY drink $10 and under.

That's what I was gonna say, too. It wouldn't make sense to be charged gratuity twice.

Sent from my iPhone using Forums

It seems to me that they didn't catch your package on your file... otherwise would you not have just been charged $0.35 for going over $10 if that was truly the rule?

Did someone onboard actually tell you that the gratuity amount has to be included for the $10 drink price, or are you speculating based on your bill?

For any drink over $10 you pay the full price, not just the difference.

Sent from my iPad using Forums

I did go to passenger services and they insisted that the $10 includes the gratuity. It was late at night and I did not argue at length with them. The AIBP was part of the S'n'S and I had OBC to cover it so I chose not to pursue it at the time. I do agree however that the $10 limit applies to the drink and not to any gratuity to be added. I just wanted everyone to know what they did and you may have the same problem. Be prepared to argue with them.

I bought a bottle of wine on the two formal nights and they charged my folio correctly with the 40% reduction and no gratuity. Last night (last night of cruise) I was in Skywalker's late at night and the male server came very close to dumping a tray of two drinks on me but was able to recover before they fell over. He had come too close to my table and stumbled over my size 12 shoes. He gave me a free drink as an apology so in a way I came out OK.

I did go to passenger services and they insisted that the $10 includes the gratuity. It was late at night and I did not argue at length with them. The AIBP was part of the S'n'S and I had OBC to cover it so I chose not to pursue it at the time. I do agree however that the $10 limit applies to the drink and not to any gratuity to be added. I just wanted everyone to know what they did and you may have the same problem. Be prepared to argue with them.

I bought a bottle of wine on the two formal nights and they charged my folio correctly with the 40% reduction and no gratuity. Last night (last night of cruise) I was in Skywalker's late at night and the male server came very close to dumping a tray of two drinks on me but was able to recover before they fell over. He had come too close to my table and stumbled over my size 12 shoes. He gave me a free drink as an apology so in a way I came out OK.

There is nothing to argue with Passenger Services they are correct. You are incorrect whether you have paid for AIBP or had it as part of the SnS promotion the gratuity has already been paid so you can purchase any drink anywhere on the ship for $10 or under and there is no gratuity of 15% added because it has already been paid.

There is nothing to argue with Passenger Services they are correct. You are incorrect whether you have paid for AIBP or had it as part of the SnS promotion the gratuity has already been paid so you can purchase any drink anywhere on the ship for $10 or under and there is no gratuity of 15% added because it has already been paid.

Did you mean to say Passenger Services was incorrect?

For any drink over $10 you pay the full price, not just the difference.

Sent from my iPad using Forums

oh, really? that's a crap policy.

when i've had drink packages on NCL & Celebrity, they just charge you the difference.

good to know for my next cruise with Princess where we do have a beverage package... we like our nice wine, so that's a bummer to find out.