Chefs Table versus Ultimate Balcony Dining

1emerald1

We have done both. The Chef's Table was fun and the food was good except for the main course, Ultimate Balcony Dinner was the best meal we have ever had on any cruise. We are elite so we have been on aa fair number of Princess cruises.

I've done both three times. I probably won't do another Chef's Table now that the price is raised. It would be good to get a discount if you didn't want another copy of the cookbook. The UBD is romantic. We've done it twice for anniversaries and once for DH's birthday. If you do it, I recommend booking it for early in the cruise. The flower arrangement lasts a long time. Twice we've passed it on to folks we met who were staying on for the next cruise.

I've done the balcony dinner a few times and the chef's table once. Personally I liked the balcony dinner which is why we have repeated it.

That's great to hear. We are doing a 20th anniversary cruise next year and we've never done the balcony dinner. I think we will do that on our next cruise. We have done Chef's table 4 times and it's been great, but it will be nice to try something new.

Way too much food on the Chefs Table:( Haven't had the UBD as we always go inside:D

You can easily do the UBD in an inside cabin. Think of it as an UID - Ultimate Inside Dinner. They just set up and service inside vs on the balcony. Plenty of people have done so while plenty of others have had to do so in their balcony cabins as the weather is poor.. Give it a go!

That's great to hear. We are doing a 20th anniversary cruise next year and we've never done the balcony dinner. I think we will do that on our next cruise. We have done Chef's table 4 times and it's been great, but it will be nice to try something new.

Try to do it earlier in the week so you can enjoy the flowers throughout the cruise.

Congrats on your upcoming 20th!

You can easily do the UBD in an inside cabin. Think of it as an UID - Ultimate Inside Dinner. They just set up and service inside vs on the balcony. Plenty of people have done so while plenty of others have had to do so in their balcony cabins as the weather is poor.. Give it a go!

That's great!! Never thought that was an option!!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Have done both and most enjoyable but completely different experience.

Chef's table starts with tour of galley with bubbly and hors d'oeuvres , then a sit down coursed meal with wine parings for 10-12 people. Pictures with head chef and maître d and complete group. Roses for the ladies and a cook book. Lots of interaction with other guests. Evening usually last about 3 hours. Bring camera or cell phone many photo opportunities. If you choose this ...sign up early to get your name on the list. More expensive than UBD.

"Enjoy an intimate, romantic dining experience with breathtaking views and a special meal served by your own dedicated waitstaff on your stateroom balcony. Ultimate Balcony Dining features a hosted cocktail party, fresh flowers, champagne and a deluxe four-course meal featuring delicate sweet lobster tail or juicy steak among many available delicacies."

UBD is a very intimate coursed meal. Staff sets up room with table topper, table cloth and flowers. Courses are delivered and served and then staff vanishes ...until the next course. Photo staff comes and takes a picture. If you choose this one ...call early as they usually have 1-2 on the evening they serve this.

Another vote for the UBD.

We've done the Chef's Table once and the UBD three times. I have to say I enjoyed the food at the Chef's Table a bit more, but the UBD is so special. Two servers dedicated to us. That is service.

I agree with the idea of scheduling early in the cruise. Not only do the flowers last, but there is no way we can eat the petit fours. So, we nosh on them for the next few days, also.

I think at some point you should try both. The Chef's table is an amazing experience, not to be missed, but once is probably enough for us. Very interesting, you learn a lot, eat and drink a lot and is a fantastic experience. You get a picture and cookbook. Definitely worth it, but like I said, I probably won't pay that much for it a second time. The Balcony dinner was also amazing, but a totally different experience, intimate and personal. And an amazing value, when you consider the crown grill and a bottle of wine, will run about $100. I will do the balcony dinner again for sure. So I would say pick one for this cruise and then the other for your next. Whichever you choose, enjoy!!

I think at some point you should try both. The Chef's table is an amazing experience, not to be missed, but once is probably enough for us. Very interesting, you learn a lot, eat and drink a lot and is a fantastic experience. You get a picture and cookbook. Definitely worth it, but like I said, I probably won't pay that much for it a second time. The Balcony dinner was also amazing, but a totally different experience, intimate and personal. And an amazing value, when you consider the crown grill and a bottle of wine, will run about $100. I will do the balcony dinner again for sure. So I would say pick one for this cruise and then the other for your next. Whichever you choose, enjoy!!

An excellent recommendation.

Here's another idea. Do both on this cruise. Never put off until tomorrow what you can do today--you may like and, so, you can do it, again, tomorrow. :)

An excellent recommendation.

Here's another idea. Do both on this cruise. Never put off until tomorrow what you can do today--you may like and, so, you can do it, again, tomorrow. :)

I like the way you think! Based on all of the comments it sounds like I should do both!