Age requirement for tours

Pilgrim70

December 24, 2017: Millenium Hong Kong Holidays Cruise

:rolleyes::confused:Interested in a day tour to Hanoi. Just read on Celebrity site that there is an age restriction! 80 years is the upper limit. I turn 81 before cruise. In excellent health, never had any problems with extensive walking or moderate climbs. Do the really enforce this?

Thanks,

Al

http://boards.cruisecritic.com/showthread.php?p=53779344

Sent from my iPad using Forums

If it's thru the ship, they might. Otherwise, if it's private, they don't care. They do the "age thing" for insurance/liability" purposes. My mother is 84 and plays tennis 4 times a week (doubles, but still....)..she's in fantastic shape! BUT...they don't really care..it's up to their insurance company what is allowed.

I wish the age thing wasn't there. At age 67, I'm 'fitter' than many people younger than myself. The age limit for riding horses for example is often 70, yet I own horses and ride. I'm ready for the day they tell me I can't ride on the beach or through the mountains. I walk and go to the gym 3 times a week. I guess it would be too much to ask for a fitness test! :-)

This is just like any other insurance. The carrier uses actuary tables to determine when a person is likely to become too much of a liability risk. This makes total sense from an insurers point of view. Take solace in the fact that you are way above the average person in terms of health and fitness.

:rolleyes::confused:Interested in a day tour to Hanoi. Just read on Celebrity site that there is an age restriction! 80 years is the upper limit. I turn 81 before cruise. In excellent health, never had any problems with extensive walking or moderate climbs. Do the really enforce this?

Thanks,

Al

http://boards.cruisecritic.com/showthread.php?p=53779344

If you were allowed on the ship tour (or a private tour where they were less bothered about enforcing the small print on booking) and did have an accident it could impact on your medical insurance....Much as you are healthy, it only takes one small slip and if you were on a tour with a stated age limit your insurance company may refuse to cover your medical cost.

I would suggest you maybe get together with a group from your roll call and arrange a 'private' tour.....This is unlikely to have any restrictions on age as you are organising your own itinerary.

All of the ship's tours are operated by private companies which each set their own rules and regulations. The ship is just passing that information on to the passengers -- Celebrity didn't set the age limit, the tour operator did.

Which is not to say that you can't find a private tour operator in any given port with different requirements. It comes down to are you set on going on a ship's tour, or open to a private tour?

All of the ship's tours are operated by private companies which each set their own rules and regulations. The ship is just passing that information on to the passengers -- Celebrity didn't set the age limit, the tour operator did.

Which is not to say that you can't find a private tour operator in any given port with different requirements. It comes down to are you set on going on a ship's tour, or open to a private tour?

Would be more than happy to take a private tour.

:rolleyes::confused:Interested in a day tour to Hanoi.Thanks,Al

Have you looked at your Roll Call to see if anyone has organized a private group tour where there might be space for you? That's a great place to start.

I am on the same sailing/roll call as you. There are at least two groups that are doing private tours to Hanoi. You might check back on the roll call. :)

This is just like any other insurance. The carrier uses actuary tables to determine when a person is likely to become too much of a liability risk. This makes total sense from an insurers point of view. Take solace in the fact that you are way above the average person in terms of health and fitness.

Three letters, CYA.....

Ran into the same issue with trying to rent a car in Italy. Top level age limit of 75. I did not see if there was a higher rate we could have paid but it was the first time we ran into an issue of being too old. lol

Also just found out this week the reason our insurance was increasing was due to our ages not the cars.

Carol

I am on the same sailing/roll call as you. There are at least two groups that are doing private tours to Hanoi. You might check back on the roll call. :)

Someone should go on the roll call and advise everyone to get up early and get the waffles before Ed gets there, might not be any left....:):):):):)

This happened to us once but the age limit was 60 or early 60's which didn't make any sense. When I contacted Celebrity they said we could sign a waiver to participate in the tour. We normally go with private tours but this was one which was only available through the ship.

This happened to us once but the age limit was 60 or early 60's which didn't make any sense. When I contacted Celebrity they said we could sign a waiver to participate in the tour. We normally go with private tours but this was one which was only available through the ship.

Please note that it is not generally advisable to sign away your rights by signing waivers. At least read it carefully, consider worse case scenarios, and then decide whether you still want to sign.

Please note that it is not generally advisable to sign away your rights by signing waivers. At least read it carefully, consider worse case scenarios, and then decide whether you still want to sign.

I have been on a number of ship's tours where the vendor required everyone to sign a waiver before starting the tour.

This has been true with tours that might have some danger (such as snorkeling) to tours that basically involved just a bus ride and some walking.

I have been on a number of ship's tours where the vendor required everyone to sign a waiver before starting the tour.

This has been true with tours that might have some danger (such as snorkeling) to tours that basically involved just a bus ride and some walking.

Whether purchased through the ship or not, I would think multiple times whether you want to entrust your safety to someone who insists you sign a waiver indemnifying them for their own negligence. Simply not a good idea. Ask yourself why they either do not qualify or why they would not want to carry liability insurance. Foolish thing to do.