Buying or Reserving Tables in Compass Rose

Travelcat2

So it appears that Regent is a tipping cruise line after all. As a Brit I cannot comprehend a culture that thinks employees won't do the job they are paid for unless they are bribed. Tipping after the event if good service is given I do understand and practice, however Regent includes gratuities in the price, what bit of that do people not understand!

Sent from my iPad using Forums

This really isn't a tipping thread but rather a "pay for a table" thread. I understand that passengers may or may not tip and that has been discussed to death on Regent threads. However, IMO, the notion of paying to have the same table in CR is difficult to wrap my head around. If this is happening, they may as well have set seating since it could get to the point that only people that tip the Maitre'd or Head Waiter will get the table they want.

swansong and rallydave, I agree with both of you. And, just because a few people have done this, it doesn't make it right nor does it mean that we should ignore it. I feel strongly that Regent should make it clear to their staff that tables in CR are first come, first served (again, with exceptions for large parties and disabled). If they accept money for a table - they should be subject to losing their job.

And to the veiled comment about having favorite servers, we definitely do and darn well make sure that we are amongst the first to get into CR to get a table (not necessarily the same one) in our servers section. Many people do that and not a penny changes hands.

In any case, as the TS, I would really appreciate if we could discuss paying or asking to reserve a table rather than tipping as that is a "horse of a different color".

Iamheisenberg: that line is one of the great lines in film history.

I see absolutely nothing wrong with a magic handshake and my husband shakes hands on the first day of the cruise. We always tip at the end of a cruise, even though we are on all inclusives, so,why not tip as a tip was originally designed for "To Insure Promptness".

H

Hi Cruisr,

I generally never respond to these posts. But in this instance I totally agree with you and think reserving a specific table in advance makes perfert sense. People complaining about this practice seem to have too much time on their hands and have no idea why the couple referenced may have made that request. Could it be that was the table where the couple got engaged or have a fond memory? Why would anyone think of intervening whithout knowing the backstory to ruin someone's enjoyment of the evening?

Really too many busybodies on these threads. (for all who feel they may fit the definition see Theophrastus Ch XIV if unsure)

Regards

D

...I generally never respond to these posts. But in this instance I totally agree with you and think reserving a specific table in advance makes perfert sense. ...

Perhaps one would rethink this while standing in line at Compass Rose while perfectly good tables stand empty!

I have never had any special seating needs on my Regent cruise--no big family parties, for instance. But I'm confident that such groups get well taken care of in the dining room, without resorting to magic handshakes or tips.

I have also never made a point of being seated in a particular station, with the exception of one cruise, where my TA said to ask for headwaiter Arnold. So we asked for Arnold, and the man himself looked us straight in the eye and said, "Who the F* is Arnold?" That began a longtime affection for him, which extended back to the Paul Gauguin where he was a maitre'd for a while. He's retired now, so I can tell the story. This is the *only* case in our Gold experience of asking for any special place in CR.

Guess I'm just not particularly fussy. Nor am I a busybody.

Perhaps one would rethink this while standing in line at Compass Rose while perfectly good tables stand empty!

Not to stray too much off topic, but I am curious if there is generally a wait in order to be seated at CR? I have read that the night of the Captain's welcome aboard reception can be busy, but aside from that, what about most other times?

Not to stray too much off topic, but I am curious if there is generally a wait in order to be seated at CR? I have read that the night of the Captain's welcome aboard reception can be busy, but aside from that, what about most other times?

No, not often. Sometimes around 7 p.m., but it's a short wait usually.

My point was that if more people do "order" seating ahead of time, then perhaps lineups will start happening more frequently.

No, not often. Sometimes around 7 p.m., but it's a short wait usually.

My point was that if more people do "order" seating ahead of time, then perhaps lineups will start happening more frequently.

Thanks, and I do understand your point and agree that would be a potential consequence.

Believe the bottom line that should really end this discussion is that Regent advertises and states seating in Compass Rose is "OPEN", not preassigned, by reservation, by bribery, or any other description. That means what it says and NO reserved tables, plain and simple no matter what anybody else wants or says. The term "secret handshake" says it all, those doing this are hiding the fact that they are paying for or bribing the Maitre d to reserve their table which is simply vulgar under the circumstances of the Regent policy.

Iamheisenberg: that line is one of the great lines in film history.

I see absolutely nothing wrong with a magic handshake and my husband shakes hands on the first day of the cruise. We always tip at the end of a cruise, even though we are on all inclusives, so,why not tip as a tip was originally designed for "To Insure Promptness".

I always thought TIPS = "to insure proper service."

I am the cruiser who posted my experience with reserving a table with a "magic handshake" that has resulted in this thread's originator getting all upset.

I do not view this as a bribe at all, but a thank you for going above and beyond in honoring my special request. No one else witnessed it or became aware. It was between the two of us.

Fortunately or unfortunately, this is how things work in the real world, on all cruise lines. You have to pay more to get more. This opportunity is open to all. It is no different than someone paying more for a higher suite and then receiving more/better amenities. They paid for it just the same.

Absolutely not. We always tip our stewardess on the first day with a list of (minor) requests. We are thanking her in advance for the extra effort (in supplying certain sodas, waters, bedding, etc. we appreciate what they do or will do and recognize it.

Also, there are people who tip very big at the end of a cruise. They are remembered by the staff and you can be sure that's their requests will be honored the next time around in anticipation of another hefty tip

If you are thanking her in advance for the extra effort, exactly who do you know she will make that effort until after she has made it? You can justify it any way you like but it's a bribe, not a tip. Perhaps since Regent is a self proclaimed six star line they should now advertise that among all the other "free" things provided bribes are now included too.

nfcu, as in all things in life, there are very different views on "how things work in the real world". It appears that your "real world" and my "real world" are not the same. I have never given a "magic handshake", and, with the exception of one cruise on a different cruise line, have always been treated like "gold". I have no doubt that I will continue to be treated the same way on future cruises, thanks to the fabulous crew/staff onboard the ships, despite the fact that I give no "magic handshake".

This whole discussion makes me so uncomfortable. In truth, I have always been uncomfortable tipping. I always feel cheap and inadequate, but even more, i hate the implied power differential. On one cruise, I witnessed a man handing the food and beverage manager an envelope on the last day. He pocketed it. I was surprised by this (perhaps he donated it to the crew fund?). At any rate, if a cruise line says tips are included, they are included, period. Just my humble opinion....

I always thought TIPS = "to insure proper service."

Once again, this isn't about tipping but, since you brought it up again, I do have to ask if you tip your waiters in restaurants on land before you order.

nfcu, what you do affects others by making "your" table unavailable to others! It doesn't matter if someone noticed what you did or not. If 20 people did the same thing, most of the tables that people stand in line (before CR opens) would be "reserved".

It is interesting to see that a solid majority of posters are not for paying cash for reserving a table (or even asking for a table to be received). As Mariners stated, we are already treated like "gold" on Regent.

While rallydave and I disagree quite a bit on the boards, I feel that his last post bears repeating:

"Believe the bottom line that should really end this discussion is that Regent advertises and states seating in Compass Rose is "OPEN", not preassigned, by reservation, by bribery, or any other description. That means what it says and NO reserved tables, plain and simple no matter what anybody else wants or says. The term "secret handshake" says it all, those doing this are hiding the fact that they are paying for or bribing the Maitre d to reserve their table which is simply vulgar under the circumstances of the Regent policy."

Greetings, Everyone, from South Beach. Travelcat2 started this discussion with good reason. Unlike the mass cruise market where tips are added to one's fare, Regent makes their inclusion a major selling point. We have traveled on everything that floats, including a container ship. Tipping practices are determined by the class of the vessel, and company culture. Inclusive gratuities are part of the culture of top luxury cruise companies. If some people feel they must have a certain table in CC, they are on the wrong ship. CC is similar to dining at home. First come, first served, For reservations, there are the specialty restaurants.

In the last analysis, as long as only a few misguided souls get away with an occasional gaff, the rest of us can enjoy a bit of gossip at their expense. We will have to worry if Regent starts to resemble the mass market. At the moment, that seems unlikely to me.

Go, Ye, and dine in peace.

Mary

Edited by warburg
Error, and spacing

nfcu, as in all things in life, there are very different views on "how things work in the real world". It appears that your "real world" and my "real world" are not the same. I have never given a "magic handshake", .........have always been treated like "gold". I have no doubt that I will continue to be treated the same way on future cruises, thanks to the fabulous crew/staff onboard the ships, despite the fact that I give no "magic handshake".

Amen!

And as forgap states" if a cruise line says tips are included, they are included, period. "

We have found a compliment when we leave the Restaurant that we really liked the server and table location that evening has resulted in being seated at that table most every night the rest of the cruise. This has worked on Regent and Seabourn and actually on the mass market lines we sail that have open seating and tips added to each day's bill. Being pleasant and kind to the staff brings many rewards. No need to give extra money to get good service, least in our world.

Amen to Mary's post also!

Carolyn

One more thing came to mind that those who choose to bribe on board Regent need to seriously consider and that was a reporting was made on CC regarding I believe a Maitre d on either Regent or Oceania but, think Oceania that took a bribe and this was reported to management in Miami and this person was summarily fired from his job. Do you want to be the cause of a person losing his or her job and having that black mark on their resume that likely will not allow them to go back to work on another cruise line and probably ruin them and their family.financially.

As others have said, it is NOT all about you like the snowflakes think and what you do affects other passengers as well as the staff you bribe.

On our April cruise on the Mariner we witnessed on several occasions a bartender pouring what I believed was an “extra charge” scotch with the gentlemen “tipping” discreetly. It was never charged to his room, but she made some extra cash and seemed very happy about it.

Nfcu,

This will be the last time I post on this issue. I find your comments and behavior totally unacceptable. In my view you should be ashamed. We all pay for what Regent offers and what you say about paying for more just does not apply here. It is bribery and by doing this you deprive others of what they have paid for. Have you considered that employees just might be insulted by your behavior? Not all cultures are aligned to yours.

I do hope I do not witness any of this behavior in my next cruise which happens to be next week or I might just get thrown overboard. I don't mean to be insulting but where I come from we say what we think!

Lots of knickers in lots of knots here over unnecessary tipping. Generally the best way to get a request honored on Regent is to ask for it and not behave like a jerk. No staffer is going to turn down money if offered, but that doesn't mean that he or she did what was done to get that money. That table likely would have been provided anyway. If someone thinks passing money to get it is necessary, that's his wallet's issue, not ours.

And before people start screaming bribe again, let me remind all that that is essentially what a tip is. In cities where tipping the maitre d' is common, it is of course done up front--that is when the service is provided. When you leave a daily tip for the hotel housekeeper, you are giving it to her before the service is rendered. It's done.

Nfcu,

This will be the last time I post on this issue. I find your comments and behavior totally unacceptable. In my view you should be ashamed. We all pay for what Regent offers and what you say about paying for more just does not apply here. It is bribery and by doing this you deprive others of what they have paid for. Have you considered that employees just might be insulted by your behavior? Not all cultures are aligned to yours.

I do hope I do not witness any of this behavior in my next cruise which happens to be next week or I might just get thrown overboard. I don't mean to be insulting but where I come from we say what we think!

Sorry to hear that you will be leaving this thread but want to say that I understand and agree with your posts. This post is simply to wish you a great trip and to hope that you won't even think about Cruise Critic (until you get home and can tell us about your cruise). :ship: