Thinking of trying Celebrity

cruisebabe50

Good Morning! I have mostly taken cruises with Royal Caribbean, some with Carnival and a long time ago went with NCL. Anyway, we have always thought of trying Celebrity but keep putting it off. We are now seriously considering taking the plunge and trying something different, lol. We are booked on the RCCL Allure of the Seas for September and I am thinking about making our next cruise which will probably be in May on Celebrity. The website looks amazing. Way more luxurious than Royal! We cruise with another couple and our ages range from late fifties to early sixties. Tell me about the age ranges I will see on the cruises and is the service like what they claim? Also, we are Diamond members on Royal and our friends are Diamond Plus. I realize that we basically start over with loyalty points but do we get any discounts or perks from being Diamond on Royal? Thanks!

We are 60/64 and have been sailing Celebeitysince 1994, at the Elite level

Our first Royal was in 1989, at the Diamond level.

Celebrity is like a day at a spa or country club, you know the vibe on Royal :D

You will get the benefits of the Elite level. There is nothing like the Diamond lounge, but a morning breakfast, sorta :confused: and a evening HH, tho the drink selection is very lacking.

Here is a link to an age poll from 2016, also very few children during non holiday cruises.

http://boards.cruisecritic.com/showthread.php?t=2410093

Oh, our DD worked on ship for Royal way back in 2004. She went with us on the Freedom OTS in 2011 and said all week, we should have booked Celebrity.

IMHO, you will enjoy sailing on Celebrity.

EW

I've sailed several times with celebrity and with RCL. Firstly on loyalty I'm sure they are interchangeable but as the benefits aren't huge anyway unless you get to top tier not something I'd worry about.

The differences between lines are more important. IMO Celebrity are more luxurious and I find the food better however RCL win on entertainment. So depends on what you want from a cruise.

Sent from my iPhone using Forums

As a first time X- cruiser I think you will be delighted. I also switched from RCI to X- 15 years ago. I liked the RCI - Ships up to Raddiance Class. Voyager, Freedom and Oasis Class have absolutley no appeal to us/me!

3 years back I switched again- to Cunard! Since X introduced that " Modern Luxury" nonsense, which came with loud blarring music all over their otherwise beautyfulll ships I found X just no longer the cruise line for me! In my humble opinion X lost class, style and they no longer earn the " Premium" label!

I will come back to X though- curiosity got the better of me- I will check out the new Edge- unfortunatley again a Class of ships without a propper prommenade deck!

We sail both lines and find more variables of service and cuisine between the ships of RCI than Celebrity. Celebrity offers three dining experiences based on cabin/suite categories plus the specialty restaurants and generic buffets and pool side fare. As you know the only options on RCI are MDR and specialty restaurants, buffet, and poolside menu.

There are subtle differences in staff attitudes too. We find Celebrity's onboard staff to be more amenable.

The Celebrity website is a mess, which has been acknowledged time and time again. RCI's is a little more user friendly.

Diamond/Diamond Plus will get Elite status. The perks have already been mentioned.

Why not try it? You may be pleasantly surprised and book Celebrity again.

I have done pretty much all the lines but Princess so far has gotten more of my business I guess because of timing. That being said RCI and X are very different to me RCI ship are big or very big with lots to see and do. As for X I love the new modern luxury they are giving this line know. The ambiance is geared more now to a crowd that tends to want fun in a chic atmosphere. We hadn't been on X for a few years but now thinking of going back very soon. They got gorgeous ships and you do feel like a Celebrity with them as soon as boarding, with this free mimosa or sparkling wine glass.

Try them you will like them

Sea ya

Eric

Envoyé de mon iPad en utilisant Forums

After the Allure you will be in for a let down.

Totally disagree!

We were on the Allure in January, we enjoyed the entertainment, loved our Aqua theatre suite and enjoyed trying Coastal Kitchen...

However, when back on Eclipse a couple of months later we loved the calm and quiet, the leisurely bars and better food....

Two very different experiences.....whilst we generally now prefer the ambiance of Celebrity we can see the strengths of RC.....Dependant on what you want out of any particular vacation you can enjoy both! You don't need to be disappointed....you just need to know what what the strengths of each line are and have realistic expectations.

Totally disagree!

We were on the Allure in January, we enjoyed the entertainment, loved our Aqua theatre suite and enjoyed trying Coastal Kitchen...

However, when back on Eclipse a couple of months later we loved the calm and quiet, the leisurely bars and better food....

Two very different experiences.....whilst we generally now prefer the ambiance of Celebrity we can see the strengths of RC.....Dependant on what you want out of any particular vacation you can enjoy both! You don't need to be disappointed....you just need to know what what the strengths of each line are and have realistic expectations.

Well said

Sent from my iPad using Forums

The Elite happy hour is great. We love meeting our cruise critic roll call new friends there as well as the free drinks.

It may be great if you are an early diner - since the hours are restricted to between 5 and 7 pm - but for those of us who like to dine late it's of no use at all. You can't pop in for a drink unless you're dressed for dinner and I'm not getting dressed for dinner at that time just to get a free drink and I can meet and chat with people anywhere, it doesn't have to be in a lounge.

It's not just the D/C lounge drinks we miss on Celebrity but the dedicated lounge where you can spend some quiet time or grab a nice coffee at any time of the day and have a dedicated Concierge to help with bookings/billing issues/general questions, there's nothing like this on Celebrity unless you are sailing in a suite.

I would agree that the food is a step up and the ships are beautifully decorated. However I also agree with the person who said that you could be disappointed after Allure. I have sailed on all the S class ships and none of them comes close to the experience offered on an OA class ship.

Of course you will get most people on here saying the Celebrity is a better line than RC. I would sail with both again (and have cruises booked with both) but think that each line has something better (or worse) than the other and I now tend to be itinerary driven.

Why are you constantly bashing Celebrity? It's not helpful to anyone.

How is that bashing Celebrity? He/she is just stating an opinion - and one which I agree with, as I stated in my post above. And it may be helpful to the OP ;p

How is that bashing Celebrity? He/she is just stating an opinion - and one which I agree with, as I stated in my post above. And it may be helpful to the OP ;p

Bobal, the difference is you qualified your OPINION on Celebrity/RC with some FACTS about what you see as strengths and weaknesses of the two lines...far more valuable than an unqualified statement....

Why are you constantly bashing Celebrity? It's not helpful to anyone.

It's helpful to people with an open mind that believe that everyone has a right to their opinion EVEN if it doesn't doesn't agree with yours. I have mine and that's the only one that counts. Let the poster make up their own mind and do what they feel is best. Don't be influenced by the other opinions, good or bad.

This particular poster has nothing but negative things to say about Celebrity...no matter what anyone else posts.

It's helpful to people with an open mind that believe that everyone has a right to their opinion EVEN if it doesn't doesn't agree with yours. I have mine and that's the only one that counts. Let the poster make up their own mind and do what they feel is best. Don't be influenced by the other opinions, good or bad.

This particular poster has nothing but negative things to say about Celebrity...no matter what anyone else posts.

You clearly feel passionate about Celebrity with all the bold type and injured pride but perhaps you should sail with them first before you get so worked up.

Am I wrong in thinking you haven't sailed on X yet?