Galveston weather concerns

And two stopped in New Orleans first giving passengers the option to disembark. The third ended up in New Orleans too I believe.

Are your facts sure Liberty could have safely sailed into NOLA? It is not currently a port used by Royal. Assuming Liberty could not dock at NOLA, your only other option would have been to head to Miami from Cozumel. How would they have known as even CCL moved to NOLA and closer to Galveston. From what I see on news, don't know what would happen to 4000 + passengers disembarking in Galveston.

Sent from my iPhone using Forums

I guess I don't know enough about travel insurance but if the cruise was "on" even say for Monday and you decided I am not going into that area because I feel it's not safe, is that an allowable reason for you to collect if you cancel your trip 1 day or 2 days ahead of time? Doesn't something else have to happen in order for travel insurance to take effect?

Once we were stranded in the Madrid airport, our flight was delayed with no indication of when or if we would be leaving (all other flights had been canceled). We contacted our TA who told us our travel insurance wouldn't pay for us to stay in Madrid and book another flight unless our flight was actually canceled by the airlines. Our flight never got canceled but we had an 11 hour delay. So travel insurance would have not covered anything if we decided to stay and re-book another flight.

I've had those thoughts too. Based on the travel insurance policies I've read, I am not sure they would've really helped in this situation until the airports actually closed/cruise was cancelled.

Let's agree on that. They should have sent us to Miami when we left Cozumel. The wild goose chase to Galveston is what cost us onboard 5-6 days. Again, Carnival saw the same "window" as RCI and was on the same conference calls according to our Captain. Same information, very different decisions. Who made the right call(s)? Spoiler alert. It wasn't RCI. And the calls they made were all in their self interest.

Or they could've stayed in Cozumel overnight like Breeze and allowed people to get off the ship there if they desired.

BTW: I agree with you letter, and it is good that you are sending it, even if the NOLA part wasn't 100% right.

Like several others, I'd also like to know how you're so certain that Freedom Class ships can go to New Orleans. I suggest actually doing some research before spouting off to the media.

How about I go generic? If not for RCI's focus on their own uninsured self-interest we'd be in port today. That's true whether the port is Miami or New Orleans.

This isn't about New Orleans even though some of you have glommed on to that specific point attempting to defend RCI. It's about a five day detour caused by RCI's reckless, failed, and singular attempt at docking the Liberty in the midst of what's to be known as one of the Nation's worst natural disasters.

Spin or defend that.

How about I go generic? If not for RCI's focus on their own uninsured self-interest we'd be in port today. That's true whether the port is Miami or New Orleans.

This isn't about New Orleans even though some of you have glommed on to that specific point attempting to defend RCI. It's about a five day detour caused by RCI's reckless, failed, and singular attempt at docking the Liberty in the midst of what's to be known as one of the Nation's worst natural disasters.

Spin or defend that.

How wrong you are. You made a false claim and can't admit it. That's on you.

Oh and by the way, I used to work for Carnival Corp, so I'm far from a RCI cheerleader. So, that accusation is a big fail on your part.

How wrong you are. You made a false claim and can't admit it. That's on you.

Oh and by the way, I used to work for Carnival Corp, so I'm far from a RCI cheerleader. So, that accusation is a big fail on your part.

If a 3,600 passenger ship can't fit in New Orleans than me saying that was an option for us was wrong and inaccurate. Has that been confirmed BTW?

But even you and others seemingly defending RCI have to admit diverting us, even to Miami, on Friday or Saturday was the best option. Diverting is the option CCL chose. Three times. Maybe they have business interuption insurance.

I do hope that Royal makes the right (whatever that ends up being) and TIMELY call for the Sep 3rd sailing. We are supposed to be on the LOS Sep 10th cruise, and I wonder how this is all going to play out. My heart goes out to those dealing with all of this right now.

I wholeheartedly agree with this. My family and I are supposed to be joining my brother's family down in Galveston getting on board Sept. 3rd and I hope that RCCL learned from this past weekend and does the right thing EARLY if it looks like we won't be able to sail. I would much prefer to get my money back then take my three little girls and wife down to a dangerous area, if that is what it ends up being by the end of the week.

I hope all of you that were scheduled for the Aug. 27th sailing get your money back and the future cruise credit and that everyone affected by this devastating storm down in Texas will be taken care of and that the rain will stop and flooding subside soon so that people can start to recover and receive the help that they need!

Are your facts sure Liberty could have safely sailed into NOLA? It is not currently a port used by Royal. Assuming Liberty could not dock at NOLA, your only other option would have been to head to Miami from Cozumel. How would they have known as even CCL moved to NOLA and closer to Galveston. From what I see on news, don't know what would happen to 4000 + passengers disembarking in Galveston.

Sent from my iPhone using Forums

Let's look at some stats..

Breeze 1003 ft long at 120k gross ton

Liberty 1113 ft long at 155k gross ton

Obviously the breeze can make it to NO. Now I wouldn't think they would cruise to NO if these size requirements barely allowed them to do so safely. How much leeway is given I have no idea. Obviously the Liberty is a larger boat.

I am no way saying they should have tried as I know nothing about how all this works. I am just throwing the numbers out there so people can see the difference and chime in.

Not to mention RC has no resources of there own currently in NO.

That made me laugh. I'm interviewed all time discussing public facing financials. I also did a weekly travel segment on the NBC affiliate when I lived in Miami. I'm not a hay seed. I assure you I won't say anything not easily verifiable by WAFB before airing.

It's a human interest story not an RCI expose. But it can't and shouldn't reflect we'll on RCI. That's on them, not on me.

If you did a travel segment with an NBC affiliate, why wouldn't you be contacting them?

How does Celebrity equinox compare?

"The longest and one of the most premium cruise ships ever to dock in New Orleans will sail into the Port’s Julia Street Cruise Terminal Sunday, Feb. 26, just in time for the finale of Mardi Gras festivities.

The Celebrity Equinox, a 1,041-foot cruise ship christened in 2009, will make its first visit to the Port of New Orleans, remaining in Port through Feb. 28 – Mardi Gras Day. The ship’s length is equal to 3.47 football fields.

“The Port is thrilled to welcome Celebrity Cruises back to New Orleans for an extended port call,” said Brandy Christian, Port President and CEO. “Celebrity’s brand is synonymous with luxury and we hope their guests enjoy all that New Orleans and the surrounding region have to offer.”

Celebrity Equinox holds 2,850 passengers and is the longest cruise ship to berth in New Orleans to date.

“We are excited to offer our guests the opportunity to experience the deep culture, history and fun that New Orleans has to offer,” said Lisa Lutoff-Perlo, President and CEO of Celebrity Cruises. “Mardi Gras and the amazing city of New Orleans is a big draw for our guests, and the perfect backdrop for them to create memories.”

(Snipped)

https://www.marinelink.com/news/welcomes-orleans-longest422519

How does Celebrity equinox compare?

"The longest and one of the most premium cruise ships ever to dock in New Orleans will sail into the Port’s Julia Street Cruise Terminal Sunday, Feb. 26, just in time for the finale of Mardi Gras festivities.

The Celebrity Equinox, a 1,041-foot cruise ship christened in 2009, will make its first visit to the Port of New Orleans, remaining in Port through Feb. 28 – Mardi Gras Day. The ship’s length is equal to 3.47 football fields.

“The Port is thrilled to welcome Celebrity Cruises back to New Orleans for an extended port call,” said Brandy Christian, Port President and CEO. “Celebrity’s brand is synonymous with luxury and we hope their guests enjoy all that New Orleans and the surrounding region have to offer.”

Celebrity Equinox holds 2,850 passengers and is the longest cruise ship to berth in New Orleans to date.

“We are excited to offer our guests the opportunity to experience the deep culture, history and fun that New Orleans has to offer,” said Lisa Lutoff-Perlo, President and CEO of Celebrity Cruises. “Mardi Gras and the amazing city of New Orleans is a big draw for our guests, and the perfect backdrop for them to create memories.”

(Snipped)

https://www.marinelink.com/news/welcomes-orleans-longest422519

Did they do this during Tropical Storm winds? With two other cruise ships in port?

This isn't about New Orleans even though some of you have glommed on to that specific point attempting to defend RCI.

It's being focused on because you made this specific statement:

• The most galling display of expense management and the reason for me writing this missive is the choice of returning to Miami. There are few ports available for diversion that can handle a ship the Liberty’s size. New Orleans is one of them and in fact RCI has announced using New Orleans as a departure port in the near future. Had we diverted to New Orleans rather than attempting to dock in Galveston we would have arrived yesterday (Sunday) or today (Monday) at the latest.

You're upset. Like I said earlier, I totally get it. RCI made some very bad decisions in the early stages. But my point is, if you are reaching out to the media, you can't include assumptions like this. You specifically said that the decision to not go to NOLA was "the most galling display of expense management." You do not know that.

You clearly are no lawyer. A company cannot sue anyone for telling of their experience with the company and forming opinions as a result.

You also haven't read the facts of the photographer case.

The truth is the ultimate defense. That said, it had better be 100% the truth and the person uttering it had better make sure they have the full facts with zero hearsay. They also must offer any opinion as exactly that--an opinion. There's a big difference in saying, "Royal chose to inconvenience 3000 people in order to attempt to cut costs as they aren't insured for this event" and "I believe that Royal chose to inconvenience us because according to their public filings, they don't appear to be insured for business interruption."

The truth is the ultimate defense. That said, it had better be 100% the truth and the person uttering it had better make sure they have the full facts with zero hearsay. They also must offer any opinion as exactly that--an opinion. There's a big difference in saying, "Royal chose to inconvenience 3000 people in order to attempt to cut costs as they aren't insured for this event" and "I believe that Royal chose to inconvenience us because according to their public filings, they don't appear to be insured for business interruption."

Those are his opinions and his opinions can be right or wrong based on his experience.