Soda package on Harmony of the Seas

This will be my first cruise on RCCL. I will be going on Harmony of the Seas in October. I have pre purchased the soda package. Is the soda cup only necessary at the buffet. Will I need to carry the soda cup to bars and restaurants in the evening. RCCL agent said I would have to always have the cup with me wherever I went to get soda. Sounds ridiculous, hoping this is not true. It would never fit in my evening clutch. TIA

This will be my first cruise on RCCL. I will be going on Harmony of the Seas in October. I have pre purchased the soda package. Is the soda cup only necessary at the buffet. Will I need to carry the soda cup to bars and restaurants in the evening. RCCL agent said I would have to always have the cup with me wherever I went to get soda. Sounds ridiculous, hoping this is not true. It would never fit in my evening clutch. TIA

The soda cup is required only for the Coke Freestyle machines. If you are fine with the 6 or so choices from bars and restaurants, you don't need the cup, you just need your Seapass card.

The soda cup is required only for the Coke Freestyle machines. If you are fine with the 6 or so choices from bars and restaurants, you don't need the cup, you just need your Seapass

I was thinking the agent was wrong about this. I am guessing my sea pass card will have something on it indicating I have the soda package.

Thank you for your reply. Much appreciated.

Edited by Host Clarea

The soda cup is required only for the Coke Freestyle machines. If you are fine with the 6 or so choices from bars and restaurants, you don't need the cup, you just need your Seapass

I was thinking the agent was wrong about this. I am guessing my sea pass card will have something on it indicating I have the soda package.

Thank you for your reply. Much appreciated.

Yes, there will be an indication on your SeaPass card (either pre-printed or a sticker) showing you have the soda package.

We were recently on Harmony and had the soda package (perk with our Boardwalk cabin). Seems like nothing but problems using the freestyle machine with either the machine itself or the chip in the cup. Much easier to just get the soda from any bar and at least the glass given was clean and I didn't have to carry the cup around with me everywhere...How many times I would see these cups in the public restrooms.

RCI should come up with a better solution with the freestyle machines...perhaps clean (bar type) glasses stacked by the machine instead of those "souvenir chip cups" and just swipe your SeaPass card to get your drink. JMHO

We were recently on Harmony and had the soda package (perk with our Boardwalk cabin). Seems like nothing but problems using the freestyle machine with either the machine itself or the chip in the cup. Much easier to just get the soda from any bar and at least the glass given was clean and I didn't have to carry the cup around with me everywhere...How many times I would see these cups in the public restrooms.

RCI should come up with a better solution with the freestyle machines...perhaps clean (bar type) glasses stacked by the machine instead of those "souvenir chip cups" and just swipe your SeaPass card to get your drink. JMHO

I have to agree with you. The thought of carting around this giant cup all over the ship is very unappealing.

My first cruise on Allure I carried the cup around with me everywhere and I was so done with it by the end of the cruise.

On Oasis last year, I learned my lesson and I only took the cup with me to the pool and then left it in the room anywhen else. You can get soda from the bars it's just less of a choice. I'll be on Harmony in October too and will only use the cup for pool days or when I want a different soda out the machine otherwise it'll be staying in the room.

Here is a pretty simple hack to make your sea pass work at the freestyle machines.

Kinda sad that this kid came up with a much better solution than RCI.

And I agree that lugging that giant cup around is a pain as well as unsanitary.

Somehow I´m thinking the kid din´t come up with a unique idea RCI had not thought about, but more along the line of RCI actively deciding against the usage of a seapass card at the freestyle machines:confused:

That kid was not the first to smash the cup and use just the chip. There have been posts suggesting that dating back to when the ships first got the freestyle machines.

That kid was not the first to smash the cup and use just the chip. There have been posts suggesting that dating back to when the ships first got the freestyle machines.

But he did such a good job on the video! Personally I don't want the seapass card getting covered with soda from the bottom of the freestyle machine.

But he did such a good job on the video! Personally I don't want the seapass card getting covered with soda from the bottom of the freestyle machine.

The key is the chip, not the sea pass card. Use any plastic card, or anything else for that matter - the idea is something large enough that you won't lose it.

I don't like carrying the mug, so I just order a soda from a bar. I don't understand why, other than to let others get soda for free, which, to me, is stealing, but then again, that's for another thread, why someone would go through that much trouble.

I know there is a symbol on my card that gives me soda or if I have the deluxe package, drinks so I don't see what good it is other than another way to cheat the cruise line out of the money.

It seems as though the scammers, schemers are moving from another line to this one. How sad. If I am wrong though, I do apologize and will look for an explanation. All the schemes will eventually will affect us, but I guess until then, those that do so will succeed.

I don't like carrying the mug, so I just order a soda from a bar. I don't understand why, other than to let others get soda for free, which, to me, is stealing, but then again, that's for another thread, why someone would go through that much trouble.

I know there is a symbol on my card that gives me soda or if I have the deluxe package, drinks so I don't see what good it is other than another way to cheat the cruise line out of the money.

It seems as though the scammers, schemers are moving from another line to this one. How sad. If I am wrong though, I do apologize and will look for an explanation. All the schemes will eventually will affect us, but I guess until then, those that do so will succeed.

There are a lot more flavours of soda (and non soda offerings) available at the freestyle machines than the 5 that are available at the bar.

All his family around him at the end had cups of soda. Maybe they each had a cup they broke to get the chip, but it looks like a way to cheat as well as to not carry the cup around.

I carry a canvas bag on my shoulder to put my sunglasses in, a hat for when outside, etc., and also the cup so I don't lose it, or any of the other things. I would lose it if I had to just carry the cup without the canvas bag.

With the bionic bar, RCCL has the technology to link beverage dispensing to a card. Why they force people into a carrying a cup around is more around discouraging consumption IMHO than providing a service.

• 3 months later...

The RFIDs on the cups only allow the cup to be refilled every 10-15 minutes or so, so I do not believe it is intended as a way to cheat or steal more soda as it is a convenience of not having to carry a big mug around every where you go, lose it, or with the recent Gastroinestinal Virus that just broke out on another RCI ship, using a fresh clean cup every time likely helps reduce. One thread mentioned cups being seen in the public restrooms on the ship. I don't want some kid who just came out of the restroom with his cup placing his cup on the machine where I will be filling my mug next. I agree I don't want drops of soda on my seapass, but swiping the card through a card reader would still allow RCI to only allow the user to use it once every 10-15 minutes just as it does now. Having a mug to carry around does not stop someone from pouring the soda into another cup for another guest. The cup does not stop or encourage dishonest people any more than a card would.... but maybe that is just my thoughts from an honest person who likes the soda machine but do not want to bother with carry a mug around wherever I go just for the convenience of the machine.