Packing lunch for an excursion

We arrived in NZ via plane, they had Ag meet the plane before it arrived at gate, came on board and fumigated the plane. Never had that happen in any other country.

In this part of the world the flight attendant fumigate the plane before landing.

Wait, really? As long as you do not physically touch the spout it doesn't matter. People put their mouths up to it.

RC specifically asks that you fill all water bottles, etc. by using a clean glass and not placing your bottle to the spout. Staff members will tell you if they see you doing this, even though you may not be touching the spout.

RC specifically asks that you fill all water bottles, etc. by using a clean glass and not placing your bottle to the spout. Staff members will tell you if they see you doing this, even though you may not be touching the spout.

I won't argue that it's policy, but I will argue that if another passenger actually barks at you for filling up your water bottle (when you are not touching the spout) they are being more than a bit uptight.

I wonder if the poor to middle class before about 1950 ever heard of a child being a picky eater?

Well I know my mum was born waaaaaay before 1950 and yep she was a picky eater. And they were certainly working class.

How do you know that "most things will be closed" on Sunday? I've been to Ireland and Italy - both VERY Catholic countries - on Sundays and because I was in touristy areas/cities there were plenty of restaurants open on Sunday

Because I have searched online, and this is what I found.

Palma de Mallorca cruise facts

Language in Palma de Mallorca

The language in Palma de Mallorca is Spanish, but on touristic spots you can also use English.

Currency in Palma de Mallorca

The currency in Palma de Mallorca is Euro (€). You can find ATM’s along the city.

Opening times in Palma de Mallorca

Opening times differ a lot around Spain, but generally are as follows:

Monday to Saturday

from 9.30h - 14.00h

and from 17.00h - 20.00h

On Sundays and holidays shops are closed. Of course there are exceptions

The only saving grace is that it says "Of course there are exceptions"

Of course, when I look up restaurants, most show opening at 1:00pm, so who knows.

Because I have searched online, and this is what I found.

Palma de Mallorca cruise facts

Language in Palma de Mallorca

The language in Palma de Mallorca is Spanish, but on touristic spots you can also use English.

Currency in Palma de Mallorca

The currency in Palma de Mallorca is Euro (€). You can find ATM’s along the city.

Opening times in Palma de Mallorca

Opening times differ a lot around Spain, but generally are as follows:

Monday to Saturday

from 9.30h - 14.00h

and from 17.00h - 20.00h

On Sundays and holidays shops are closed. Of course there are exceptions

The only saving grace is that it says "Of course there are exceptions"

Of course, when I look up restaurants, most show opening at 1:00pm, so who knows.

Gotcha. Yeah, I'd say there's a difference between "shops" and "restaurants" and the latter may well be open.

Hey OP, yesterday when I said protein bars, granola bars, etc., I did not realize it was such an intimate tour group size. While I still recommend those prepackaged items, I think when your group meets up express an interest to grab some local food to take quickly. Since the tour guides are locals they would probably know a shop you could grab some local bites without taking more than 10-15 minutes. consult your group and see if people are amenable to the idea. Sounds like a cool excursion!!

Edited by LMaxwell

Well obviously no one said that and everyone here knows it—including you. But it wasn't all roses and sunshine either. I mean...Jim Crow was not great. The past wasn't universally terrible, but you shouldn't overly romanticize it either.

I shouldn't reply but part of me can't resist. Contempt of cop ;p. Jim Crow laws were from the early 1900's not 1950, Ms. Millennium (self called). I didn't say it was romantic. I didn't say it was right. I said it was a simple time. Simple people with no access to social media, internet, instant #FAKENEWS (as one poster said). Everyone knew everyone else. Your local entertainment was the local grange hall where neighbors got together to pass the time and dance. Neighbors looked out for each other. People respected police. You didn't have to keep your door locked. Your handshake meant something. You haven't experienced this trustfulness in mankind. It was nearly universal. Not so anymore. Con men, robberies, scams taking advantage of elderly trusting people, disrespect for our the people who fought to keep our nation free and able to voice our opinion including millionaires deciding they are so oppressed they will not stand for the national anthem. :mad: I don't pretend everything is or was full of roses and no controversy.

I just thought the 1950's ads were funny as they had recommendations from doctors to smoke because of the filter. Feed your kid 7Up because it is so wholesome. Strap your kid into one of these "kiddie car seats".

I will step off my soapbox now!:o

Not to turn this into a giant debate, but according to Wikipedia Jim Crow laws were in effect until 1965, putting them firmly in the boomer era. And as for people being nice and not having to lock your doors thing...there was way more violent crime in the 50's and 60's than there is now, it just doesn't seem that way because news can spread a lot quicker and further these days. So even though there is less crime, you hear about it more often.

Likewise, you might be surprised to learn that teen pregnancy is currently at the lowest rate it's been in decades. Far fewer teenage girls are getting pregnant...it's just that when one does, she does not mysteriously disappear from school "to go live with her aunt," so the sparse cases are more visible.

Perception is not reality. And be careful about looking at the past with rose-tinted glasses.

Not to turn this into a giant debate, but according to Wikipedia Jim Crow laws were in effect until 1965, putting them firmly in the boomer era. And as for people being nice and not having to lock your doors thing...there was way more violent crime in the 50's and 60's than there is now, it just doesn't seem that way because news can spread a lot quicker and further these days. So even though there is less crime, you hear about it more often.

Likewise, you might be surprised to learn that teen pregnancy is currently at the lowest rate it's been in decades. Far fewer teenage girls are getting pregnant...it's just that when one does, she does not mysteriously disappear from school "to go live with her aunt," so the sparse cases are more visible.

Perception is not reality. And be careful about looking at the past with rose-tinted glasses.

You are so wrong and since you did not live through the time period you have no idea of what you are talking about.

Is Violent Crime Increasing? - The American Prospect

prospect.org/article/violent-crime-increasing[/url]

But what really worries most people is not the short-run trend but theirsense .... crime has increased by a factor of four since 1960 and is now at an all-time high.

Edited by Ocean Dancer

You are so wrong and since you did not live through the time period you have no idea of what you are talking about.

Is Violent Crime Increasing? - The American Prospect

prospect.org/article/violent-crime-increasing

But what really worries most people is not the short-run trend but theirsense .... crime has increased by a factor of four since 1960 and is now at an all-time high.

So, first off I will be taking protein bars with me on my excursions.

Second, your quote is very misleading when it's taken out of context. Here is more of the article.

"But this contrast raises another question. Why should two government agencies constantly reach different conclusions about trends in violent crime? Neither the FBI nor BJS fudges its data for political reasons. But whereas BJS relies on survey data that are collected in the same way year after year, the FBI relies on administrative data, which are generated in a slightly different way every year.

These incremental changes make FBI statistics on non-lethal violence almost useless for analyzing changes over time.

Every year most local police departments calculate the number of crimes committed within their jurisdiction. They forward these estimates both to the local news media, which usually give them considerable attention, and to the FBI, which uses them to estimate the number of crimes "known to the police" nationwide. These FBI estimates suggest that violent crime has increased by a factor of four since 1960 and is now at an all-time high."

Better yet, why don't we check out this new article with more information and isn't from 1991 but rather from 2016

http://www.factcheck.org/2016/07/dueling-claims-on-crime-trend/

Oh, and yeah I am a baby boomer, my dad was a cop in the 50's, 60s and 70s, and a World War II vet.

Now, back to our regularly scheduled programming

Hey OP, yesterday when I said protein bars, granola bars, etc., I did not realize it was such an intimate tour group size. While I still recommend those prepackaged items, I think when your group meets up express an interest to grab some local food to take quickly. Since the tour guides are locals they would probably know a shop you could grab some local bites without taking more than 10-15 minutes. consult your group and see if people are amenable to the idea. Sounds like a cool excursion!!

We've been on private tours where the cost of food wasn't included, there was an opportunity to buy lunch. One of my daughters is gluten free, and guides are usually able to accommodate her.

I'm the OP :cool: . Well, what a response! Sifting through the "civil wars" going on here I can see you are all a bunch of............................seasoned travellers! Thanks about the water I shall take along a couple of empty bottles but agree about not making it obvious (it never fails to amaze me how criminals get caught each time due to lack of planning and avoiding the obvious I've never been caught!) in places like the restaurants. Anyone actually admit to being fined :o ? Food? Shall buy it ashore, we always pop into a local SM if we get time so just drink the water from there. Avoid ice in buckets because we find service staff are not very hygenic and don't want DellyBelly (is that splet right?). Thks. PS. Getting on the boat in Venice next Sat.

doesn't change MY opinion that if I am going to be paying for an excursion that lasts through at least one general meal time frame, then I expect to be accommodated with at least SOME form of nourishment. I will not book any excursion that does not offer either a meal/snack box or a scheduled break to find our own locally.

I doubt anyone on here tries to change your opinion. But maybe you should do the same and respect the different opinions on of others on the matter.

I fully appreciate your personal requirements for excursions and others most likely are looking for the same thing as you. That´s why this type of excursions are offered.

Now I OTOH will not book any tour including meals, snack boxes or lengthy breaks for lunch. When on an excursion I don´t want to waste time with any food breaks. I don´t travel to eat I want to sightsee. Probably there are other people like me, as they do offer excursions not offering meals / snacks or breaks for such things.

So now we have your opinon and we have mine. Do you really think one is right and one is wrong?:confused:

There is food ashore if you get hungry. Some excursions provide lunch, if it's a long excursion.

I understand the 'illegality' of bringing food ashore out of the country, however, it is not always 'safe' to ingest food in foreign ports either (i.e., many Mexico destinations that ships visit).....we have gotten quite ill eating at some ports...so that is not always a good 'tip'.