Princess vs Norwegian BLISS (Alaska)

GracefulCruiser76

Hi!

DISCLAIMER: I apologize if this is not the correct spot for this thread and/or if it has been posted before (I searched, but did not find anything).

I just booked what will most likely be my only Alaskan cruise (for the Ruby Princess in July 2018). I am nervous because some of the reviews for the ship are not very good. I was very interested in the brand new Norwegian BLISS ship, but my travel agent said the food & kid's activities are better with Princess & steered me towards Princess instead. I also noticed that the Norwegian Bliss does not see Glacier Bay (which I heard is a must). Instead the Bliss sees Sawyer Glacier.

What are your thoughts? Princess vs the brand new Norwegian Bliss for Alaska?

I am sure that the Bliss is a lovely ship, however, IMHO Alaska is a case where the itinerary trumps the ship. Few cruise lines do Alaska better than Princess and only Princess and Holland America are permitted to cruise in Glacier Bay. It would be a shame to do an Alaskan cruise and not see Glacier Bay. I think you made the right decision. Enjoy your cruise.

As a footnote to my prior response I will say that we were on the Ruby last year for a B2B and I can't think of a single criticism we had of the ship. I haven't read the reviews but I think if you go with an open mind you will not be disappointed with the Ruby.

My suggestion is that you take reviews with a grain of salt. Princess is known for being THE cruise line for Alaska and Glacier Bay is a must in my opinion. The ships in the same class as the Ruby (We have been on the Emerald) are very nice ships. I would never recommend NCL over Princess.

Enjoy the Ruby and Glacier Bay!

Glacier Bay trumps the ship!!!!

Almost any other destination, the ship would be a factor.

But with Alaska, the Princess itineraries have to make the decision.

I would recommend a North or South bound (especially South bound) to see more of Alaska on your cruise.

But, the Coral Princess... while it has many good qualities and has many fans.. is a smaller older ship.

Just got off the Ruby on August 19th. The time at Glacier Bay was breathtaking. The ship's crew were fantastic, engaging and upbeat. From eating lunch in the main dining room on embarkation and various lunches and dinners, the Ruby was a star and every aspect of the trip including the pre and post hotel stays and transfers to the airport went perfectly. The Ruby to Alaska was a great choice and provided me a wonderful vacation.

Have traveled on NCL several times and now only go on princess. If Ruby is the sister ship to Emerald you will love it absolutely the right size public rooms are larger and the Piazza area is great. I think for the first time, and especially the only time, Glacier Bay is a must.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G900A using Forums mobile app

Personally I think if you are on a Princess board you will get those suggesting Princess same if you go on NCL board they would suggest NCL. I will say the Bliss will definitely have a lot for kids to do. If you want to go on a mega ship than the Bliss would be the one for you. We have been on both Princess and NCL and you would enjoy both.

Hi!

DISCLAIMER: I apologize if this is not the correct spot for this thread and/or if it has been posted before (I searched, but did not find anything).

I just booked what will most likely be my only Alaskan cruise (for the Ruby Princess in July 2018). I am nervous because some of the reviews for the ship are not very good. I was very interested in the brand new Norwegian BLISS ship, but my travel agent said the food & kid's activities are better with Princess & steered me towards Princess instead. I also noticed that the Norwegian Bliss does not see Glacier Bay (which I heard is a must). Instead the Bliss sees Sawyer Glacier.

What are your thoughts? Princess vs the brand new Norwegian Bliss for Alaska?

Having sailed on the Getaway I wouldn't wanted to sail on the Bliss...imho....I found Getaway to be very compartmentalized and the public areas small. Just doesn't have the open feeling that the Princess ships have. That being said, the Bliss will have a LOT for kids. And it will have a LOT more kids than the Princess ship will.

I'm in agreement with everyone else...the itinerary is WHY you're going to Alaska in the first place. Glacier Bay is exceptional. I wouldn't want to miss it!

I agree with other posters that the Princess itinerary is likely better, but I disagree with your TA about the kids activities.

an NCL mega-ship like the Bliss will have TONS of kids programs and other kids on board, more so than the Princess ship.

There's nothing wrong with Princess's kids programs - there will be lots for kids to do still... but suggesting it's better than NCL, who specializes in family travel is incorrect IMO.

That being said, the Bliss will have a LOT for kids. And it will have a LOT more kids than the Princess ship will.

I'm in agreement with everyone else...the itinerary is WHY you're going to Alaska in the first place. Glacier Bay is exceptional. I wouldn't want to miss it!

While I agree that there will probably be more kids on any given NCL cruise (especially the mega ships) than Princess, in Alaska there are always lots of families and therefore more kids than might be the case on other Princess cruises. I'm assuming you'll be sailing when school is out, not May, early June or September.

As others have said, Alaska is about the scenery, especially Glacier Bay. In addition, Ruby Princess will have better viewing options than Bliss. I'm basing that on having sailed on the Breakaway twice.

Enjoy your cruise.

I loved Glacier Bay and thought it was absolutely stunning. That said, I am booked on one of the Bliss sailings and it will be my first NCL cruise. I can't believe you were told that Princess was better for the kids. Have you seen the race track, laser tag, and other activities on the Bliss? How old are your children? Did you go to NCLs website and read what they have released so far about the Bliss? Good luck and keep us posted!

For a family cruise princess is wonderful if it's strictly a cruise for the kids then you might want to consider NCL. You will have a better overall cruising experience for this particular cruise on princess. I've done both Cruise Lines. NCL was our favorite but not the mega ships. And have found that Ruby and Emerald Princess provide everything that one could want.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G900A using Forums mobile app

Both NCL and Carnival have permits in 2018 to enter Glacier Bay, so it's not just Princess Cruises and Holland America.

Norwegian Pearl (also goes to Glacier Bay) has an itinerary duplicate of Ruby Princess (roundtrip Seattle), so if you're uncomfortable with your choice, there's another option for you.

Edited by dmwnc1959

The Bliss looks fun, but Alaska is all about the scenery, so I'd stick with the Ruby. I absolutely love the Ruby's sister ship; that class is a blend of traditional and new. The food is supposed to be consistent across ships, and we always look forward to Princess cuisine. Glacier Bay is spectacular and unique.

Sent from my iPhone using Forums

If this this going to be your ONLY Alaska cruise then try and book mid season. We tried to save some money and went early September and ran into rain and fog. While you can get bad weather anytime in Alaska there is a higher likelihood later in the season.

While we have never cruised another line to Alaska, Princess does such a spectacular job I wouldn't entertain another line when we go back.

As others have said I would recommend doing a northbound or southbound, we did a RT from Seattle and when we go again will do one of the other itineraries.

This was Glacier bay for us:

d0130ede14c80b0f2ee18aa539d9605e.jpg

For kids, NCL wins hands down, but for itinerary, it's Princess.

Funny, our niece and nephew preferred Princess to the NCL ships (9 and 11), so I think it's really a personal preference for the little ones.

ETA: I should also say that this was not on one of NCL's newest ships like the bliss.

If this this going to be your ONLY Alaska cruise then try and book mid season. We tried to save some money and went early September and ran into rain and fog. While you can get bad weather anytime in Alaska there is a higher likelihood later in the season.

Actually mid May - to early June is amazing in Alaska (most of the time). Historically this is the driest time.

Ironically - my worst weather was over July 4th. We had fog the entire time and couldn't see anything. So there are no guarantees with dates.

Actually mid May - to early June is amazing in Alaska (most of the time). Historically this is the driest time.

Ironically - my worst weather was over July 4th. We had fog the entire time and couldn't see anything. So there are no guarantees with dates.

Thanks for sharing this, I know Alaska can be so all over the place with weather!