Hurricane Irma Watch

As already noted by other poster our resources and economy compared to the islands is vastly different.
Well, compared to the independent Islands. Even though the US is big and rich, the resources it will direct toward USVI may no better than the resources the UK directs at its overseas territories (like Tortola and Anguilla) and not be as great as the resources the French and Dutch direct toward their overseas territories (i.e., St. Maarten). When we start talking about places like St. Barts and Barbuda, that's another story.

If you had paid in advance for a hotel that is now closed because of the storm, you would get a 100% refund. They would not say you should not have booked with them during hurricane season.
True, but if the hotel was open and other guests checked in and stayed overnight, and you didn't simply because you couldn't get there, then that's on you. Anything the hotel might offer you would be more generous than they should be expected to offer you.

No extra gratuities charges, nice!:)
There were a number of very generous accommodations from Royal Caribbean!

I'm on board of Allure of the seas

Captain has announced right now that we are going to Cozumel again next Monday.

We are in Falmouth today. Great weather here

Haiti has been cancelled and we will go to Costa Maya on Saturday

Thanks for the update! My wife, mother-in-law and two cousins are on the Allure as well.

Yes, because the company did not deliver the product that was purchased. Why it could not deliver does not matter.

If you had paid in advance for a hotel that is now closed because of the storm, you would get a 100% refund. They would not say you should not have booked with them during hurricane season.

Read the contract - if they sail, even if the itinerary is altered or shortened, they HAVE delivered the product.

For those sailings that were cancelled, they have refunded in full. For those that they have not yet cancelled, the contract you agreed to says if you don't show up they can keep your funds. They don't HAVE to give anyone a future cruise credit or 50% OBC and 50% FCC, but they are doing just that. If you don't like either of those options and chose not to purchase insurance, that's on you.

PS: Even if you had trip insurance through Royal Caribbean and cancelled, you would be given a Future Cruise Credit, not a refund.

Respectfully disagree on time to recover for these islands. As mentioned before you can't compare island to island. Purteo Rico has many more resources than St Maarten, Barbuda and Tortola. St Maarten has more than Barbuda and Tortola. It will take years not months to rebuild. Yes they have done it before but no were close to the magnitude that they must right now. You need to understand these people have no airport, no port thus no way to get supplies needed. Those must be rebuilt first. In addition while this happens people are homeless there is no money going into there economy at all as there are no business Open. It's a very dire situation for these islanders. May all our thoughts be with them while they get thru this.

Well, don't forget that some of these islands are part of France and the Netherlands. Both of which have mentioned that they have active recovery programs going on. And when it comes to the major airport in St Maarten- that will get help from both countries, thanks to the airport serving both countries.

I've not seen any real pictures that the ports are that damaged, too. The one picture taken of Phillipsburg's port- other than roof damage and the wood structures being gone, plus some flooding on the other side of the road- it looked ok. Which means that it will be in operation to help the recovery.

Barbuda is the island that is in the most trouble.

Still, the damaged plants- that will come back pretty fast. I've seen it happen.

Contract.

Pfft.

The value of a contract is directly related to your financial ability to enforce it. Otherwise they are meaningless. If someone is willing to go the financial distance to either enforce, or disregard, the terms of agreement, there is little his or her opponent can do.

Sure one can sue. You have to be able to afford to sue.

I'm on board of Allure of the seas

Captain has announced right now that we are going to Cozumel again next Monday.

We are in Falmouth today. Great weather here

Haiti has been cancelled and we will go to Costa Maya on Saturday

Still have you back in Ft. Lauderdale on Wednesday morning?

From family- the south didn't get any damage.

And in addition to the ~1M w/o power, there are about 500k without water. I'd bet the two are related.

*Probably* most of those are in the San Juan area- so the access should be pretty good to repair it. The more remote areas with damage will take longer.

But with that slightly northern shift from the VI's, Puerto Rico made it through quite well.

As a follow up- looked at pictures from El Nuevo Dia, one of the news papers in Puerto Rico- most of the bad damage is up in the mountains- lots of downed trees (and thus powerlines), and lots of flooding. Not Harvey/Texas flooding, but flooding none the less.

So it looks reasonably ok.

Read the contract - if they sail, even if the itinerary is altered or shortened, they HAVE delivered the product.
Unfortunately, a lot of travelers unaware of what they're purchasing. We see this on airlines, especially - people flabbergasted that the airline can switch them from a nonstop to a connection, or can switch their seats. We even used to have to deal with being swapped from a nice big jet onto a turboprop, though that's less common now.

Well, don't forget that some of these islands are part of France and the Netherlands.
And the UK.

I've not seen any real pictures that the ports are that damaged, too.
I believe one of the photos I saw was of Marigot, and it looked like a total loss.

HURRICANE IRMA

The U.S. Coast Guard Captain of the Port (COTP) has set hurricane condition X-ray for Port Canaveral: Sustained gale force winds are predicted within 48 hrs.

Port Canaveral is only conducting limited operations at this time and is closed to the public.

Please ensure your businesses and homes are clear of debris that may become projectiles in the wind.

If you live in an evacuation zone, mobile or manufactured home, flood prone area, or you simply do not feel safe, please evacuate in a timely manner; don’t wait and don’t forget to take your disaster supply kit.

Continue to monitor the Port's Facebook, Twitter page (@PortCanaveral), the website (www.portcanaveral.com/fyi), and the Port Status Hotline at 321-394-3411 for updates.

Unfortunately, a lot of travelers unaware of what they're purchasing. We see this on airlines, especially - people flabbergasted that the airline can switch them from a nonstop to a connection, or can switch their seats. We even used to have to deal with being swapped from a nice big jet onto a turboprop, though that's less common now.

I agree that most people don't understand what they're signing up for, but at the same time ignorance of what you are buying is no excuse. There is plenty of information on the web, boards like this, and good travel agents - not doing research is the buyer's fault, not Royal Caribbean's or the airlines'.

I'm sailing in 4 weeks and have sailed during October the last 3 years without trip insurance. If I can't make one in 10 trips I break even, so I'm willing to self-insure. My schedule is flexible and financially $2,000 or so isn't a big deal ( not that we couldn't use it!). We sail a few times a year, so I do purchase an annual medical policy, because I can't fade a $50,000-$100,000 air lift.

We've chosen not to sail in September due to the very high risk of tropical storms and hurricanes - statistically this week and next are the worst.

Florida Gov. just announced "All residents and visitors in southern Florida MUST leave and evacuate."
What Governor Scott said was: "We need to get the fuel out to the people so that they can evacuate... If you are in an evacuation are, do not wait to get out... There is a mandatory evacuation order for the Florida Keys. This means all residents and all visitors... For the remainder of the state waiting on evacuation orders, listen to your local officials. They will tell you if and when to evacuate... Miami Dade has ordered evacuations for Zone A and Zone B."

The distinction is important. They do not want to evacuate areas that don't need to evacuate, because that may make it worse (read: traffic backups) for evacuation of people who actually are in danger if they are unable to get out of where they are in a timely manner.

Contract.

Pfft.

The value of a contract is directly related to your financial ability to enforce it. Otherwise they are meaningless. If someone is willing to go the financial distance to either enforce, or disregard, the terms of agreement, there is little his or her opponent can do.

Sure one can sue. You have to be able to afford to sue.

Yes, and Royal Caribbean has much more financial ability than you to enforce the contract you agreed to. I understand it stinks, but they have given, IMO, pretty fair alternatives that they legally didn't have to do offer per the contract you signed. Time to stop complaining about it.

HURRICANE IRMA

The U.S. Coast Guard Captain of the Port (COTP) has set hurricane condition X-ray for Port Canaveral: Sustained gale force winds are predicted within 48 hrs.

Port Canaveral is only conducting limited operations at this time and is closed to the public.

Please ensure your businesses and homes are clear of debris that may become projectiles in the wind.

If you live in an evacuation zone, mobile or manufactured home, flood prone area, or you simply do not feel safe, please evacuate in a timely manner; don’t wait and don’t forget to take your disaster supply kit.

Continue to monitor the Port's Facebook, Twitter page (@PortCanaveral), the website (www.portcanaveral.com/fyi), and the Port Status Hotline at 321-394-3411 for updates.

Same for Port of Miami, Port Everglades, and Port of Palm Beach. They anticipate Condition Yankee at 8 am tomorrow morning. https://res.cloudinary.com/simpleview/image/upload/v1/clients/porteverglades/MSIB_Port_Condition_X_ray_65bb5391-b647-4c8b-a644-057439564a3c.pdf. Here's an explanation of the different conditions: https://res.cloudinary.com/simpleview/image/upload/v1/clients/porteverglades/MSIB_17_009_Hurricane_Port_Readiness_Conditions_Requirements_2017_signed_81e293e8_922b_439f_8839_c21f10b146f6_dbf9291a-6b79-4180-a54a-b8439fb56b59.pdf

What Governor Scott said was: "We need to get the fuel out to the people so that they can evacuate... If you are in an evacuation are, do not wait to get out... There is a mandatory evacuation order for the Florida Keys. This means all residents and all visitors... For the remainder of the state waiting on evacuation orders, listen to your local officials. They will tell you if and when to evacuate... Miami Dade has ordered evacuations for Zone A and Zone B."

The distinction is important. They do not want to evacuate areas that don't need to evacuate, because that may make it worse (read: traffic backups) for evacuation of people who actually are in danger if they are unable to get out of where they are in a timely manner.

The words were up on my television screen as I typed them....they said "southern Florida" and the governor was standing there talking.

Here is a direct quote from Fox Online: As Irma continues to barrel toward South Florida, residents in parts of the Miami metro area are under mandatory orders to leave their homes.

The words were up on my television screen as I typed them....they said "southern Florida" and the governor was standing there talking.
That's not what he said though - I paused the video several times to make sure I got the quotes exact - and it is definitely not what they want.

No extra gratuities charges, nice!:)

Have not been offered this (yet) on Allure. We have TA provided grats and are wondering how to handle the extra 3 days. Always grat above where deserved though.

We're consecutives and have lots of questions... we are in a GS this next shortened cruise; wondering as well about point distribution. We talked to Loyalty and she has the same questions and is awaiting say so from shoreside.

For those concerned that I am unconcerned for actual victims, you would be wrong.

Have not been offered this (yet) on Allure. We have TA provided grats and are wondering how to handle the extra 3 days. Always grat above where deserved though.

We're consecutives and have lots of questions... we are in a GS this next shortened cruise; wondering as well about point distribution. We talked to Loyalty and she has the same questions and is awaiting say so from shoreside.

For those concerned that I am unconcerned for actual victims, you would be wrong.

I saw a post here on CC of a sheet from one of the Oasis Class ships and it said that RC would cover the extra days of gratuities. It also went into detail of laundry specials, half price dining etc...

Orlando International Airport MCO

Closing at 5 PM Saturday link

ORLANDO, Fla. (WOFL FOX 35) - Orlando International Airport has posted a notice on its website that says OIA (airport code MCO) will cease commercial flights at 5 p.m. on Saturday.

The airport is preparing for Hurricane Irma, which is expected to be a powerful hurricane sitting over Central Florida sometime Sunday into Monday. Tropical storm force winds will arrive sooner, according to forecasters.

The Orlando website says passengers should check with their airline about specific flights.

So what? The length you will go to in order to prove someone wrong is ridiculous. Grow up already.
Wrong. This is serious. The governor has made a specific announcement for specific reasons. He is very worried about fuel and traffic. He specifically asked people to evacuate no further than they need to, going so far as to say that people should not fill their gasoline tanks, and to only take as much as they need to get the shelter in their own county, because otherwise some people won't get any gasoline, and will not be able to evacuate. There is also a very big concern about traffic, and people clogging the highways while evacuating from Miami Dade Zone C (for example - which happens to be where my family is right now) will cause traffic backups that leave those evacuating from the Keys and Zones A and B in harm's way.

Don't ignore what the governor is saying because you are getting some kind of twisted visceral thrill from the erroneous, sensationalized headline that the news station used.