Hurricane Irma Watch

Yes, I'm confident that the cruise line's contract would hold up should someone choose to sue. They often fall under Maritime law or where the ship/cruise line is registered - there's a reason so many are out of the Bahamas - who's laws are much more lax than US/EU.

I'm also confident the cruise line would defend itself rather than settle, because then there is a slippery slope of people just suing hoping for a settlement. And they have way more financial resources and better attorneys than you or I do.

But give it a shot and let us know how it goes.

Where did you get your law degree, the University of RCL?

The contract breech didn't happen at sea or even on a ship it happened right here in the good old USA, so maritime law is not in play, where it's registered isn't either. They have the right to change or alter the cruise, but not at the expense of the customer. If this was happening to me, I would expect a refund, in cash, of the portions of the cruise I didn't receive. Not a fcc of any kind. I would expect nothing else as it was an act of God which they have no control. I have the financial resources to fight it and it's not that complicated where they could draw it on forever.

If it was so easy to cancel and keep the money why do they drag their feet to cancel a cruise? If they care about the passengers and the crew they would cancel ASAP so they could make other arrangements. I noticed that they closed most of their call center in Miami, they must not be expendable.

With all due respect, the cruise ships dock in Phillipsburg. If that port isn't damaged, it quickens the time ships can return.

And it's an operating container port- so it can be used for supplies.

The pictures for that show much less damage. If any to the operating pier.

The picture of Marigot that I saw shows a lot of very damaged boats. Hard to really tell if the actual port is that damaged- can't really make a "total loss" call until that debris is removed.

Agree. Until real survey is done it's an unknown. I sailed there 20 yrs ago after they took hard hit, ships returned, had to tender in as the Cruise pier had to be rebuilt as it hit that side hard...

Not disagreeing with you at all. I just feel some are saying it will be quick. Unfortunately it won't be quick, one year min. Also keep in mind you can't see all the cracks in the concrete from the pics, I am sure there are many. Correct barges and containers can be moved, once you can get to them. Btw, they are now under a hurricane watch for Jose.

One year? That seems rather pessimistic. For the ENTIRE island to return, perhaps.

But for cruises to return, I can't see more than a month. Too much money at stake.

Again, the really important structure is the pier. And I've not seen any picture that suggests that it's even damaged.

What's the difference with someone who chooses to cruise during hurricane season and someone who chooses to live in a hurricane zone?

Well...a cruise is a vacation...your domicile is your home...2 very different things. One can't be helped (to an extent).

My point is that if you purchase a cruise during hurricane season, its possible that a hurricane may hit. Therefore, getting upset with RCCL isn't going to help the situation.

Not really. Those beliefs will cause more problems. Find some DOT Cams and look at the traffic, not to mention most gas stations along the interstates are out of gas. Most cars can't get out of harms way from the Keys and Miami on ONE tank of gas. Nothing worse than running out of gas on the side of the road.

Listen to our Governor, he is trying to keep us safe.

Sent from my iPhone using Forums

Have family in area, also more that took direct hit in Texas last week. Times like these I'm happy cars get better gas millage, my parents Equinox gets almost 500 miles a tank. My first car got 8 MPG, my 1987 new Chevy Silverado PU got 12 MPG average...

Hi all! I apologize if this is a duplicate post, I know there are lots of hurricane threads so I wasn't sure where to post. We're on board allure now, enjoying great weather in Jamaica. We were told this morning that in addition to Costa Maya Saturday, we will be going back to Cozumel for another port day on Monday. A lot is up in the air but everyone is doing a great job of keeping us updated and safe!

One year? That seems rather pessimistic. For the ENTIRE island to return, perhaps.

But for cruises to return, I can't see more than a month. Too much money at stake.

Again, the really important structure is the pier. And I've not seen any picture that suggests that it's even damaged.

It may not be a year for cruises to return...but it most definitely will be more than a month. This isn't mainland USA. They are going to be in survival mode for at least another week as they rely on food rations to come in by helicopter. Plus significant rain from Jose is on the way, further hampering recovery efforts. Building supplies are going to be at a premium, there are many islands trying to recover and start to rebuild, not to mention Houston and Southern Florida also taking in building supplies. Its more than just get the port cleared and start rolling in 5k-10k passengers a day. There has to be safe structures for them to go to, roads, infrastructure, etc. The airport is severely damaged, further restricting relief efforts. There are tourists stranded there that they are telling that it will be weeks before they can even get them out of there and home to the US. Getting tourists back in will be of importance to them, as that is there livelihood. But it will not be quick. There are a lot of things that have to happen before they can even think about that.

The time that it takes places to recover isn't nearly as long as most people think. We've been to Puerto Rico after more than one major hurricane, and even after 4 months, you can see the recovery is happening quickly. Heck, my in-laws had a tree fall down, and it was back up and producing avocados within a year. Pretty amazing recovery.

PR is the richest island in the Caribbean.

There are still buildings on islands like Grenada that have no roof due to a hurricane 10 years ago

If the Phillipsburg cruise piers are OK the cruise ships may want to make stops there because they can be a source of supplies as Royal Caribbean was after the Haiti earthquake. Sure, there may not be anything for the passengers to do but enjoy the ship's pool deck...but supplies can be delivered to the island.

There is now a mandatory evacuation for Brevard County (Port Canaveral) for tomorrow @ 3PM.

http://www.wftv.com/weather/eye-on-the-tropics/brevard-county-issues-mandatory-evacuation-order/604585180

BREVARD COUNTY, Fla. - The Brevard County Emergency Management Office announced a mandatory evacuation order, which will be implemented at 3 p.m. Friday, for portions of the county.

This order was issued for Evacuation Zone A, which includes the barrier islands, Merritt Island and some low-lying areas of the mainland along the Indian River Lagoon, officials said.

Health First Hospital plans to a majority of its patients Friday from Health First's Cape Canaveral Hospital, officials announced Thursday.

“Safety is our top priority, and we prepare for these types of situations,” Matthew Gerrell, vice president of marketing and communications said. “As we continue to monitor Hurricane Irma, Health First is taking all of the necessary safety precautions. With Cape Canaveral Hospital being located on a barrier island, we felt the evacuation was needed to ensure the safety of our patients.”

The contract I agree to, when I book a cruise is for a set date, set number of days, and set departure and return to a set port.
That is not the case.

Carrier may for any reason at any time and without prior notice, cancel,
advance, postpone or deviate from any scheduled sailing, port of call, destination,
lodging or any activity on or off the Vessel, or substitute another vessel or portof call, destination, lodging or activity. Except as provided in Section 6(e) below,
Carrier shall not be liable for any claim whatsoever by Passenger
, including butnot limited to loss, compensation or refund, by reason of such cancellation,advancement, postponement, substitution or deviation.
Anything besides that is a breech of contract on their part, an act of god does not nullify that. Their CYA (cover your a--) in that the so called contract,is that they aren't liable for any of your other cost such as nonrefundable airline tickets, hotel and living expenses going to port or a delay in sailing.
Again, the contract allows them to vary much more from the original plan without it being a breach of contract.

You surely don't think they give you a refund out of the goodness of their heart do you?
Actually, in a way they do: It is generosity to some extent, though the intention is the appearance of generosity, good public relations and the positive impact on future sales that that would engender.

They often fall under Maritime law or where the ship/cruise line is registered - there's a reason so many are out of the Bahamas - who's laws are much more lax than US/EU.
That is also not actually the case:

PASSENGER HEREBY CONSENTS TO JURISDICTION AND WAIVES ANY VENUE OR OTHER OBJECTION THAT HE MAY HAVE TO ANY SUCH ACTION OR PROCEEDING BEING BROUGHT IN THE APPLICABLE COURT
LOCATED IN MIAMI-DADE COUNTY, FLORIDA

I'm also confident the cruise line would defend itself rather than settle, because then there is a slippery slope of people just suing hoping for a settlement. And they have way more financial resources and better attorneys than you or I do.
Absolutely.

I have six figures in my savings account...I will bet all of it that it will be more than one month before cruise ships return on a daily basis with passengers.

Looks like a pretty good deal to me.

All of those 50% off offers, are only good for the two extra days. The only thing that the cruise line is giving us is 30 minutes of Internet and a complimentary phone call. I don't think it is a pretty good deal. Most everyone on board will likely occur additional expenses.

Not really. Those beliefs will cause more problems. Find some DOT Cams and look at the traffic, not to mention most gas stations along the interstates are out of gas. Most cars can't get out of harms way from the Keys and Miami on ONE tank of gas. Nothing worse than running out of gas on the side of the road.

They can't? My Accord gets over 500 miles on a tank

There are still buildings on islands like Grenada that have no roof due to a hurricane 10 years ago

Actually Trinidad and Tobago is the third richest country by GDP (PPP) per capita in the Americas after the United States and Canada. PR is drowning in debt. After checking some more it seems they have swapped places but still the debt is a problem.

Edited by Pratique

I wanted to check out what's going on as our upcoming cruise in January has been somewhat totally wiped out, sailing RT St. Martin to Barbuda, St Bart's, Guadaloupe.....:loudcry:

I've been reading the posts and just a couple of comments, maybe they've been addressed before:

#1. This is NOT a new occurrence for the cruise lines. This happens every single year, in one way or another and they have gone down this path over and over and over and over. I did spend a delayed weekend 'hunkered down' in a hotel right outside the evactuation zone in FLL watching the hurricane 'hover' over the islands and the Key's. The cruise lines were unable to give us definitive information because, as we all know, there is no 100% guarantee that the storm will go where they think it'll go or the time line will be what they think or the impact will be what they think.

At that time, our Sat departure moved to Monday, we did have an offer to cancel with a FCC and received additional OBC...when we finally boarded our (now) 5 day cruise the ship was 1/2 empty with lots of escaping Floridians who weren't in the mood to enjoy a cruise but they had to escape.

#2 I seem to NOT remember many, if any, instances of people suing a cruise line for 'whatever' and winning? The contracts for the trip that we pay for require the cruise line keep the safety of it's passengers near the top of the list, along with (I assume) preserving the integrity of their multi Million $$$ ships that they are unwilling and shouldn't be expected to endanger for those passengers who believe they are 'owed' more than what the cruise lines offer, in times like these.

#3 Ships do port in Marigot, I was there last year on Windstar and it was our tender port. This next sailing, again on Windstar, is RT from Philipsburg but the smaller ships use smaller ports, which (at this point) is a challenge since so many of them are damaged/destroyed.

#4 These cruise lines run businesses that not only depend on the good will of their customer base but also on taking care of their customers to the best of their abilities, in times of difficulty. Having watched these boards for years (and many of you have also) the cruise lines make their decisions based on business and IMHO right now they not only have to figure out what to do with those who are currently sailing, but those who are scheduled to sail in the next few weeks and those who are scheduled in the next few months and the conditions of the ports or options they have to change itineraries in light of the storms anticipated on the horizon.

#5 The reason why there's no phones being answered at HQ is because they've evacuated Miami where the HQ's are for RCCL, Celebrity, Azamara, Carnival...they're in that long line up the road.

I am always entertained by those who come on these boards and accuse the cruise lines of not 'snapping to' service each individual person...this is a HUGE industry that balances so many different situations (weather, political unrest, lack of safety in ports, the world stage:eek: think pulling Istanbul off all itineraries) so I personally believe they make their decisions in light of what's best for the company and the passengers, together, not mutually exclusive.

And this is EXACTLY why travel insurance is so valuable. If you're unfamiliar with it's benefits and the different ways to get travel insurance coverage (i.e. your credit card that paid for the trip???) check into it or have your TA do it...this is exactly why insurance is worth the extra investment!

Off my pedestal!!!:cool:

All of those 50% off offers, are only good for the two extra days. The only thing that the cruise line is giving us is 30 minutes of Internet and a complimentary phone call. I don't think it is a pretty good deal. Most everyone on board will likely occur additional expenses.
I think the perception would depend on whether one views the cruise line responsible for having to remain aboard ship the two extra days versus views the planet and its weather responsible for having to remain aboard ship the two extra days. The latter perspective recognizes that the cruise line is losing the opportunity to take a whole new slew of passengers on a cruise and get paid for it, and recognizes that the effects of the disruption that the hurricane causes is something that is rightfully shared, under the circumstances. Would we prefer cruise lines disembarking passengers at any port they can reach on the scheduled disembarkation date, and letting passengers fend for themselves in terms of getting back to the port that is closed due to the storm?

That may be a bit of a Media exaggeration, a good friend of mine left Boynton Beach at 5:00 AM today and is up to Savannah at this point. He said he's stopped three times to top-off the tank and never had to wait in line.

What do you want?

That may be a bit of a Media exaggeration, a good friend of mine left Boynton Beach at 5:00 AM today and is up to Savannah at this point. He said he's stopped three times to top-off the tank and never had to wait in line.

That's awesome. My son is in South Miami , South of airport. He works at Miami Jackson Hospital (where I was born) and is part of their team to support the hospital. He doesn't mind working but is scared to death for his pets. He lives in a 1970's apartment complex. I think he is ready to bail and find a job later elsewhere.

Some of the latest video coming from St. Maarten showing post-IRMA results is horrific.

It could be a year (or maybe more) before that wonderful island resembles anything close to "normal". It raises the question as to when several of these islands will be ready to resume their historical tourism - these are disastrous from IRMA. In one fell swoop...the Eastern Caribbean destinations are mostly a total disaster.

http://www.msn.com/en-us/weather/topstories/astonishing-irma-damage-in-st-martin/vi-AArsHIU

vi-AArsHIU

vi-AArsHIU

Plants don't care about the wealth of a country.

That's what I was talking about when where you quoted me. Unless you missed the reference that an uprooted tree was producing avocados a year later....

Are you kidding?

Puerto Rico may be drowning in debt, but there's far more wealth and money there than any other island. It helps being part of the US.

It's also one of the few islands that has other significant industries other than tourism.

You should drive around- other than the heat, sun, and Spanish, it's very much like any place in the US.