Post Final Payment Reduced Pricing

FastandFurious

I am curious about what I just experienced from the experts here. Have a guaranteed inside single thus 2 times the single rate minus police discount for the Summit 10/22. While I'm watching football today I decide to play around on the Celebrity website. Guaranteed Oceanview is now the same price as I paid. So I call. Well that was an interesting 40 minutes. First no way that price is only for Amazing Deals..uh I point out that I don't see that qualifier on the webpage. Then it's only for new bookings. I point out that I don't see that qualifier on the webpage. Then it is our system will not permit it! I was very friendly during the whole call. It's not that this is a trans pacific cruise. On my last hold I told the agent that I had cooked a pot roast during the holding. :D Sooo is it or is it not possible to jump up on a price reduction after final payment. Thanks

It is my understanding that one restriction on upgrading to a higher category after final payment is that the upgrade must be at a higher price. I am not sure what other restrictions might apply. So if the ocean view category is the exact same price you paid, you would not be eligible to upgrade. If it were a dollar more, you might be eligible.

My question was intended to find out about upgrades not trying to get a credit or discount. Maybe I didn't word it correctly. There is a price inversion now. Insides are more expensive that Oceanviews because of inventory I guess. Hey I don't feel this is do or die. Don't intend to spend a lot of time in the cabin. Just curious about whether it is EVER worth it to check prices after final payment versus...watching college football...Go Trojans! Thanx

Yes, it is definitely worth checking prices after final payment. As others have said, if there is a higher class room for $1 or more more than you paid for your room, you can upgrade to it--unless there are those pesky qualifiers about "new bookings only" attached to the price. I have used this several times to upgrade from a standard veranda cabin to Aqua Class (or Concierge Class back when I was interested in the extra Captain's Club points) or an extra-large balcony for an extra $50 or so. Even-steven trade-ups they don't do.

Since you had the police discount for your booking, I wonder if the inside was actually more expensive than what is now being quoted for the ov gty. It could be your police discount that may limit your ability to move up in categories.

Celebrity seems to have lots of rules that come into play when they want them to. I'd call back and speak to another agent.

Thanxs Ms. cold weather girl. I'm on hold again trying follow the advice. My original price was discounted by the police discount as I believe the new booking would be. I found a specific oceanview (6/7) that is 2X $20 more. (from $349 to $369) Now they are saying that I would have to pay $400 more OMG. Clearly they are being very difficult. The agent said " I see where you called in before" yes and I replied I realize same price to same price will not work..I am trying to pay more! Oh well Thanxs everybody for the advice.

I'd try to make the booking on the web site and place a 24 hr hold on it then call. If you can get the price via the web and there's no new bookings only qualifier on the rate (like Xciting Deals) then they should honor it. Sounds like they were willing but didn't come up with the same price.

If you have made your booking through a TA put the TA to work and ask for a costing for an upgrade and see what falls out the woodwork. I had an experience whereby my current fare plus an upgrade was going to cost more than the published website fare. I took the case to Head Office who rang me and advised that the website fare is the max fare that I should pay for the particular class of fare and that is what I eventually paid. That was pre final payment though.

The OP is trying to get an extra bargain after final payment. The cruise line is now trying to fill up unused cabins by offering incentives. In the past I have taken up such incentives which were very beneficial compared with some who had paid pre final payment. I wonder if the OP would be as keen if the prices had increased after final payment which does happen from time to time on popular cruises. The reason for an increase is high demand for cabins which cant be satisfied until the largewr TA's have released unsold block bookings

Generally X if having granted a discount for stock, fire service, defence or whatever don't allow a second discount

I did 2 different upgrades after final payment on a recent completed cruise. The first upgrade that I did - the Concierge Class was $200 less than my booked Veranda stateroom. X changed my room to Concierge Class - no problem. It did not need to be a $1 more. Then Sky Suite pricing dropped. I then paid an extra $3000+ to upgrade the booking to the sky suite. No problem on that as well. The nice thing is that the additional payment was on top of my original paid amount for the Veranda and not against the cheaper Concierge Class.

We got upgrades on our last two cruises when the price dropped after final payment. On our cruise from Amsterdam to Rome the drop was almost $2,000. I called my TA and got the standard "sorry, that is the way it is, too bad" line. I then advised the TA that I had other options for future travel and I would simply take my business else where, especially since they had refused to do anything on our previous cruise when the price dropped $800. I also pointed out that I knew others on my roll call who had gotten cabin upgrades due to the price drop. That got me an "ummmm, errr, let me talk to a manager". The next day I got photo call, we had been upgraded from 1A to A1 and they did the same thing for our friends who were traveling with us. I did switch TAs for our next cruise, Hong Kong to Shanghai, 14 nights. Again, price drop after final payment, quick call to the new TA and she had no problem calling Celebrity and got us moved from a 2B (highest balcony on M Class) to C3. We could have gone to A2 and enjoyed BLU but we were traveling with family from the UK who could not get any help due to UK regulations so we settled for the bigger cabin and the extra points so we could eat with the cousins. So, bottom line is they will do it if you push just a little nicely.......it has to be an apples to apples deal, no apples to oranges.

It kind of bums me out that TA's are able to apparently move the ball versus booking directly with Celebrity. Again I was just sitting watching a game with my I Pad and decided to check the website. Saw the inversion but I understand that an equal price difference would not cut it so called back with the "pay more" still no dice. Have been on 27 Celebrity cruises (from Royal to Inside) so I understand corporate dynamics. Hey as long as my phone does not ring for a couple of days (dang St. Thomas) I would be happy in the pet relief area!

We could have gone to A2 and enjoyed BLU but we were traveling with family from the UK who could not get any help due to UK regulations so we settled for the bigger cabin and the extra points so we could eat with the cousins. So, bottom line is they will do it if you push just a little nicely.......it has to be an apples to apples deal, no apples to oranges.

Nothing to do with "UK regulations" and everyhing to do with Celebrity UK terms and conditions. They could treat UK customers like US ones, but choose not to.

Stuart

Nothing to do with "UK regulations" and everyhing to do with Celebrity UK terms and conditions. They could treat UK customers like US ones, but choose not to.

Stuart

w - do you perchance know if other cruise lines, with a U.S. HQ operate in this manner or is it just X?

Thank you and bon voyage

Wiltonians, why not just book with a US travel agent then? I have done that for my UK cousins when we travel together and it has worked well.

Schiff 1997, We kept our perks. The only things that changed were our cabins and going to A1 we had to pay the extra gratuities that amounted to about $25 for the 12 day cruise. Like I said before, you really need to compare apples to apples.

Stuart

I also agree. Additionally, I think that they (and in answer to another poster, yes, I believe that all the US-based cruise companies operate in this way) are more likely to try to change US booking behaviour/expectations over time than give us Europeans/Australians etc the great terms that North American customers currently enjoy.

Us that Live in the U.K. Is it possible to book Direct from a US TA . Because that mite be interesting

Sent from my iPhone using Forums

It is currently possible with Royal Caribbean companies (Celebrity, RCL etc), but not with Carnival companies (Princess, Cunard, HAL etc). Of course you are then at the mercy of the exchange rate, although if it moves against you, at least you could cancel penalty-free.

Wiltonians, why not just book with a US travel agent then? I have done that for my UK cousins when we travel together and it has worked well.

Schiff 1997, We kept our perks. The only things that changed were our cabins and going to A1 we had to pay the extra gratuities that amounted to about $25 for the 12 day cruise. Like I said before, you really need to compare apples to apples.

Thanks we are being told we will loose our (2) perks if we change, not sure why though as the Summer sales event includes 1 perk but when it goes to pricing the Celebrity website wants to charge us for the perk