Embarkment early due to Irma?

Reenie75

Yes, the problem will be the track that the storm takes.

There is also the problem of which quadrant of the storm one is in. One can be far out from the center and have the problems of the tornadoes, violent thunder storms and the storm surge from the rotating bands of the storm.

We, too, are booked on the Divina for September 9th. This is our 24th cruise, and we have never encountered anything like this. We are, hopefully, flying into Miami Friday afternoon. We are in the Yacht Club, so we hope to be able to board early Saturday in the event MSC wants to leave port early - I can't imagine they wouldn't if the predictions are even close. There are lots of passengers flying in on Saturday, so I don't know how all that would work. Good luck and Godspeed to all who are joining us!

I don't think it's bs, I feel MSC will better know come Thursday or even Friday. Im sure they will change their route returning this week or even come in early. They need to be safe for the people who are on the ship prior to us. I've seen so many changes and nervous as hell. We can't do anything this is mother nature.

They've lifted the tolls in Florida starting this morning to get everyone OUT, and MSC is delaying telling people like us not to come in so that they get to steal our money when the cruise doesn't go out and that puts us in danger. It's BS.

The thing about this storm is yes, it could make slight changes from the GFS and Euro, but because it's already WEST of Miami, even if it "heads out to sea" based on it's size and location, Miami is still screwed.

They really should call at least a delay until Tuesday morning. And they aren't going to bring the ship in early - because early enough right now would have us leaving Friday mid-day - which is too far in advance for many of the people who have purchased tickets, etc.

Edited by doitalone

Your question is perfectly valid, and yes, ships have left early due to the port of embarkation being in the direct path of a storm, although very rare and only if absolutely necessary. They are not going to just leave a ship docked and hope for the best.

Ignore the snarky folks. Or better yet, report their posts using the red triangle in the upper right hand corner of the nasty post and the moderators will remove it. If they get enough reports on a poster they will show them the door.

For those of you flying in or driving in early:

1. There is a good chance flights will be cancelled in any airport in the impacted area. This does not mean only the day of the storm, but several days before if the oncoming storm is causing tornados and thunderstorms in the outer bands. Florida airports shut down when there are lightning strikes within 1 1/2 - 2 miles of a runaway. These can cause massive disruptions of flights across the state as flights are grounded or diverted.

In a full evacuation scenario, all the turnpikes and interstates in the state will be strictly be outbound from impacted area (i.e., no southbound lanes).

3. Hotels and motels may not be accepting guests and reservations will be cancelled.

In any case, you do not want to be in an area where storm surge (which can be a problem ahead of the storm as the water is pushed ashore) will flood low areas (all A lot of Florida is a low area).

I am an hour north of Tampa and we a keeping a close eye on the storm.

The Storm is now a Cat 5. Almost all models have Miami right in the path. The cruiseline, and Captain, will do what is right but that decision will likely not be made for a few more days. I have friends on the current sailing; they have not heard anything but are enjoying their revised itinerary.

The Storm is now a Cat 5. Almost all models have Miami right in the path. The cruiseline, and Captain, will do what is right but that decision will likely not be made for a few more days. I have friends on the current sailing; they have not heard anything but are enjoying their revised itinerary.

Hi Morgs,

Nobody knows how this is going to turn out. Irma could easily head out over Cuba and cut across the Gulf to the Yucatan. As things stand right now...it looks like Cuba will be hit hardest. Now...if Irma takes the northerly turn...she might head up the coast and stay at sea or she might turn north and go up the west coast and into the panhandle...or she could stay in the Gulf and go wherever she wants. It is too early to tell...Irma might not hit Miami as hard as everyone is saying/thinking. Keep thinking happy thoughts.:halo:

If they can do it safely they will sail although maybe not south initially.

I have seen cruise lines head way out into the Atlantic to avoid a hurricane and then head south, I have seen cruise lines head way out and then north completely skipping the Caribbean. I have also seen cruise lines bring a ship in, unload passengers, change the next cruise to depart a day or two later and get the ship back out immediately with just crew on-board to a safe area of the ocean. So many possibilities.

I've read so much about this storm, I apologize if this was posted...I just read through and don't think I saw it here. Passengers on the Divina were told late this afternoon that they will be in Miami on Thursday to allow passengers to disembark if they choose to. She'll then head to Cozumel late Thursday until after the hurricane passes and it is safe to return to Miami - after the weekend. The Captain told them that the port of Miami would be closed beginning on Friday. It's not on the official Port of Miami website yet or on MSC. I think we'll be hearing an official statement from MSC tomorrow (Thursday latest) about what will happen with the 9/9 sailing. I feel so bad for everyone impacted by this hurricane. I do hope an announcement is made tomorrow so that people are able to plan accordingly instead of waiting and wondering.

I can only hope they inform us on time. We have to fly into Miami from The Netherlands and we will arrive friday evening at Miami Airport - I don't think that is a realistisc scenario at this time. I am in close contact with our travel agency, but they keep saying that MSC keeps saying that there are no changes at this point - I can't believe it. They must know that there are people from all over the world flying into Florida for their cruises, they have to inform us on time. Nobody wants to fly to Florida, with the next message that the cruise is cancelled!

I already saw that Norwegian Cruises and Carnival Cruises have make cancellations for leaving 9-7, 9-8 and even 9-9. I also find these cruiselines a lot more communicating about all this. It's dangerously silent on the Twitter-account of MSC, while these other cruiselines are reacting on people asking questions about these coming days. Don't like it at all. :(

I've read so much about this storm, I apologize if this was posted...I just read through and don't think I saw it here. Passengers on the Divina were told late this afternoon that they will be in Miami on Thursday to allow passengers to disembark if they choose to. She'll then head to Cozumel late Thursday until after the hurricane passes and it is safe to return to Miami - after the weekend. The Captain told them that the port of Miami would be closed beginning on Friday. It's not on the official Port of Miami website yet or on MSC. I think we'll be hearing an official statement from MSC tomorrow (Thursday latest) about what will happen with the 9/9 sailing. I feel so bad for everyone impacted by this hurricane. I do hope an announcement is made tomorrow so that people are able to plan accordingly instead of waiting and wondering.

NCL Escape is going to Miami Thursday dropping off whoever wants to get off then going back to sea. The 9/9 NCL Escape trip cancelled.

NCL Sky out of Miami also has its 9/8 3 day has been cancelled.

Sounds like MSC is partially doing what NCL is doing based on the post above but MSC site doesn't say anything about that yet.

Monroe County (The Keys) and Miami -Dade are starting mandatory evacuations this morning.

This means tourists are being told to leave so that business owners can close up shop and evacuate.

There is no way a cruise ship is leaving Miami this weekend.

I agree. The port will be closed beginning on Friday. I did hear that passengers onboard Divina currently were told that the 9/9 sailing has been cancelled but there is not official word - yet. I think we're all hesitant to say it, but it's only logical. They really need to make an official announcement for those traveling days in advance and great distances. If Divina is leaving Miami on Thursday late day/evening - there's no way she'll get to Cozumel and back by Saturday, even if it were safe to do so. The storm is due to be in the S. Florida area Saturday into Sunday.

Regarding travel agents - I'm sure we have some on here who could help out with this, but a friend is a TA who is very close to MSC. They really don't know anything more than we do right now. Until MSC makes an official decision/announcement, it's all conjecture. I really feel for all of you whose plans are affected. Stay safe, everyone

Monroe County (The Keys) and Miami -Dade are starting mandatory evacuations this morning.

This means tourists are being told to leave so that business owners can close up shop and evacuate.

There is no way a cruise ship is leaving Miami this weekend.

9/5/2017

MSC Divina (updated September 6, 10:30am)

Hurricane Irma has now been elevated to Category 5 and is strongly affecting ship operations across the entire Caribbean region. The state of emergency has been called across all of Florida and a number of islands in the area.

Due to these extraordinary circumstances, as the safety of our guests and crew is our number one priority, MSC Divina will now head directly to Miami where she will arrive in the morning of Thursday, September 7, ahead of the Port’s likely closure on Friday, to allow guests who wish to disembark to go home. As soon as the disembarkation is completed, the ship will sail to Cozumel (Mexico), beyond Irma’s reach, allowing those guests that wish to remain on board to continue their cruise. She will then stay alongside there until it is safe for her to return to Miami.

Guests who disembark on Thursday will receive a refund for the two days shortening of their cruise vacation and, in addition, will also get a voucher for a 25% discount on the price of a future MSC Cruises vacation. Guests who will continue the cruise after Thursday’s call to Miami will also receive the same voucher.

Due to the timing of Irma’s likely arrival to the South Florida coast, it will be impossible to complete the turnaround operation scheduled for Saturday, September 9. For this reason, we have taken the difficult decision of cancelling MSC Divina’s next cruise originally scheduled to sail on that day. Guests scheduled to depart on this cruise will have the option to either be reprotected on another MSC Cruises vacation or receive a full refund as well as a 25% discount voucher on the price of a future cruise.