Hurricane Irma and Cruises Scheduled from Fort Lauderdale

PismoPat

MS Maasdam is scheduled out of Boston Sep 9 to sail to Fort Lauderdale on the 13th and then on to Panama Canal. I don't see how they can avoid, at a minimum, big (really big) seas. Boston travelers will probably be boarding planes tomorrow and Friday.

The problem is that we have not heard "Boo" from Holand America. Not even a "Stand by for more information." This is not good. I'm scheduled to board in FL.

In the age of communication, Holland America is not doing a good job. Is it this way with all lines?

MS Maasdam is scheduled out of Boston Sep 9 to sail to Fort Lauderdale on the 13th and then on to Panama Canal. I don't see how they can avoid, at a minimum, big (really big) seas. Boston travelers will probably be boarding planes tomorrow and Friday.

The problem is that we have not heard "Boo" from Holand America. Not even a "Stand by for more information." This is not good. I'm scheduled to board in FL.

In the age of communication, Holland America is not doing a good job. Is it this way with all lines?

You might also want to post this on the dedicated Holland forum here: http://boards.cruisecritic.com/forumdisplay.php?f=171

Affected passengers on different cruise lines are also very anxious to be guided, especially those that have flights. Some have also been monitoring on their Roll Call whose members are also eager for developments.

Sent from my iPad using Forums

So far I would think your cruise will be a go. Boston is not likely to be impacted on Sep 9. Fort Lauderdale will likely be thru with the storm by the 13th. I have not seen anything suggesting the canal will be impacted.

Right - and there is a whole lot of Atlantic to go to between Biston and Fort Lauderdale to avoid heavy conditions.

The problem is that we have not heard "Boo" from Holland America. Not even a "Stand by for more information." This is not good. I'm scheduled to board in FL.

Harsh to criticize HAL's communication, iMO. While I understand you and others sailing are likely frustrated, The hurricane center and all th e forecasters cannot yet say with certainty where the storm will hit or when or how hard. . What can anyone communicate until they have informatoin ?. Irma may b[pass FLL and Miami, may hit Georgia C arollinas.... They don't know yet. try to be patient, good luck. Would it be better if they spoke too soon and got it wrong? I think not..

My guess is that you'll still board in Boston as scheduled and any change/diversion if applicable will be announced then. As other have stated, better to "wait and see" than make announce a change now, and then change again later.

I have spent the day watching Irma. Many close friends and former collages live in Puerto Rico. She is not only strong but unpredictable. She took a sharper than expected turn towards the North over St Tomas USVI.

In Miami they are expecting Irma around Sunday or Monday.

All that being said there is no telling don't forget Jose trailing behind.

And Katia in the golf.

IMHO Your cruise from Boston won't be canceled and Irma won't be an issue for your Panama Canal crossing.

It's your choice I would go if it were me.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Harsh to criticize HAL's communication, iMO. While I understand you and others sailing are likely frustrated, The hurricane center and all th e forecasters cannot yet say with certainty where the storm will hit or when or how hard. . What can anyone communicate until they have informatoin ?. Irma may b[pass FLL and Miami, may hit Georgia C arollinas.... They don't know yet. try to be patient, good luck. Would it be better if they spoke too soon and got it wrong? I think not..

They deserve the criticism. I went to R.C's web site and they have a big link on their home page to their Irma information and they were making offers on canceled or changed cruises. This indicates that if there are still problems past the initial days, they will do more of the same. In addition, they were having at least one cruise where people couldn't get off because of the hurricane but they would be dropping off supplies.

I went to Holland America site and one would never know there was a hurricane. This will be my first (and last) time trying them. What a bunch of zits!

I believe HAL only has one ship currently impacted by Irma, and that cruise was changed, I believe, during the cruise, and is not expected to be impacted for future cruises. Maasdam, scheduled into PEV on the 13th, will probably make this, or a one day delay there. Due to Irma's actual track, PEV sustained little damage to the port, and many land-side port operations are up and running, with the USCG expected to give clearance to open the port to ships today. As for there being "really big seas", that's just something you deal with when cruising, especially during hurricane season. I don't see what HAL needed to inform passengers about, as the cruise would have sailed on time, and if the track of Irma had been up the coast, then they would have diverted, but only after sailing from Boston.

Your boarding in FLL is really dependent on a couple of things, like whether the airport is open or not (not HAL's responsibility or fault), and again they won't know until the day it happens. I notice the OP hasn't been back in a week, so they probably got notification sometime after OP that the airport and port were closed (didn't happen until after the OP).

I am not clear what you wanted HAL to do. Agree, there was nothing for them to report. FLL is open. As stated, the USCG is currently completing surveys of navigation channels at PEV so the port can open later this morning.

From the Port Everglades website:

The U.S. Coast Guard Captain of the Port has approved daylight vessel operations at Port Everglades. Ships scheduled to arrive include:

• Carnival Conquest

• Royal Caribbean’s Harmony of the Seas

• Carnival Splendor

• Three petroleum tank ships

maybe they have no ships impacted by the hurricane

Sept 8 (USA Today): "Cruise cancellations may cost Carnival, the parent company of Princess Cruises and Holland America, 3 to 5 cents per share because of the cost of cruise cancellations, Instinet analyst Harry Curtis wrote in a note to clients this week."

Sep 10 (Holland America on facebook): "Hurricane Irma update 9/10/2017 4:30pm PT: We are continuing to monitor Hurricane Irma in Florida. Regarding ms Maasdam’s scheduled departure from Ft. Lauderdale on September 13, an update will be provided tomorrow, following evaluation of the storm’s impact overnight. Our thoughts and prayers are with all those affected by this terrible storm."

But nothing on their web site.