Ports of Call changes on future cruises

TexasHikers

We are booked on a Caribbean Cruise in March. I know that is a long way off, but if because of damages to the island, etc. if Holland America were to completely change the ports of call on the cruise (since this is the reason we are taking this particular cruise) would they allow us to cancel and re-book in 2019 after final deposit is due? I doubt they would make that decision prior to final payment in December, and I realize I probably should be talking to Holland America, but so many of you have cruised with them for a long time and are very knowledgeable.

Also, we have friends who want to join us on the cruise who have not cruised before, but they say their deposit would be non-refundable, so they are undecided what they should do.

Any information you may have would be appreciated.

If you decide to cancel after final payment is due -- HAL will not automatically change your reservation to a 2019 cruise.

You will have to cancel the present cruise. If you have "Cancel For Any Reason" insurance -- you will get some money back.

Have your friends check what the price of the cruise will be with a refundable deposit.

We are booked on a Caribbean Cruise in March. I know that is a long way off, but if because of damages to the island, etc. if Holland America were to completely change the ports of call on the cruise (since this is the reason we are taking this particular cruise) would they allow us to cancel and re-book in 2019 after final deposit is due? I doubt they would make that decision prior to final payment in December, and I realize I probably should be talking to Holland America, but so many of you have cruised with them for a long time and are very knowledgeable.

Also, we have friends who want to join us on the cruise who have not cruised before, but they say their deposit would be non-refundable, so they are undecided what they should do. Why did they place a non refundable deposit?

The storm is still raging and has not be gun to reach al t he areas that likely will be impacted. . WAY, way, too early for this speclation about cancelling or changing of ports. BUT the answer is No. Read cruise contrract s . they mostly all allow for change or cancellation of ports wtth or without stated reason. If you are so set on cancelling, do so before penalty period and you willl get your deposit back. If you used a TA check to see if they will charge you a penalty. If you must go to a speific place to have the vaca tion you want, don't cruise there. Ports are cancelled and changed frequently for a variety of reasons..

Until the storm is over andd damage assesed, there is nto much hal can t ell you about possible cancellation or changing of ports.

Edited by sail7seas

Also, we have friends who want to join us on the cruise who have not cruised before, but they say their deposit would be non-refundable, so they are undecided what they should do.

If you read your cruise contract you'll see that cruise line can change ports for any reason at any time. So, even if ALL the ports were changed, the cancellation schedule/penalties would still apply.

Just curious as we are cruising the Western Carib in late Feb. If HMC is destroyed where would they route that stop too? I realize it's 6 months off but just curious.

HMC has been hit by hurricanes over the past few years and has bounced back pretty fast. I think you have a better chance of not being able to get off on HMC because of the tendering issues rather than a hurricane destroying it.

Dan

If you decide to cancel after final payment is due -- HAL will not automatically change your reservation to a 2019 cruise.

You will have to cancel the present cruise. If you have "Cancel For Any Reason" insurance -- you will get some money back.

Have your friends check what the price of the cruise will be with a refundable deposit.

KK is absolutely right!

We took her advice a long time ago and had no heartaches!

Denise:)

Just curious as we are cruising the Western Carib in late Feb. If HMC is destroyed where would they route that stop too? I realize it's 6 months off but just curious.

I'd guess Nassau if it's in decent shape... or an extra day at sea.

I'm anxious to hear about port changes also because I have a New Year's cruise scheduled and am actually considering going in Nov... I never cruise anymore to get to a particular port but I will choose one itinerary over another with the "expectation" that we would get to our favorite ports...

KK is absolutely right!

We took her advice a long time ago and had no heartaches!

Denise:)

Every time we missed stopping at HMC, and there have been a number of times.... we always had a day at sea.

We are booked on a Caribbean Cruise in March. I know that is a long way off, but if because of damages to the island, etc. if Holland America were to completely change the ports of call on the cruise (since this is the reason we are taking this particular cruise) would they allow us to cancel and re-book in 2019 after final deposit is due? I doubt they would make that decision prior to final payment in December, and I realize I probably should be talking to Holland America, but so many of you have cruised with them for a long time and are very knowledgeable. Your Final Payment date is probably in December, assuming 75 days prior to departure. You can check the itinerary before that date and see if you want to cancel. That's about all you can do other than buy "cancel for any reason" insurance, pay for the insurance, and if you cancel you will eat any "deductible" maybe 10%, and reschedule to a cruise of your liking. The cruise line will not reschedule your cruise to an itinerary you like better next year. Itineraries change in the cruise industry for many reasons - weather, terrorism, operational factors, etc. They can change well in advance or while on board.

Also, we have friends who want to join us on the cruise who have not cruised before, but they say their deposit would be non-refundable, so they are undecided what they should do. Prior to booking, ask if there is a refundable pricing available.

See red above. If your vacation plans center on being in certain places you may do better with a land vacation than a cruise because stuff happens beyond your control. Insurance might give you some buffer. m--

not to be a Debbie Downer, but it's not just the Caribbean ports - there's Mexico being affected and who knows how long it will take to repair Port Everglades if what is expected comes.

Let's just pray for everyone affected. The dedication of some too - the curator of the Hemingway House in Key West is NOT leaving. He is going to take care of the museum.

not to be a Debbie Downer, but it's not just the Caribbean ports - there's Mexico being affected and who knows how long it will take to repair Port Everglades if what is expected comes.

Let's just pray for everyone affected. The dedication of some too - the curator of the Hemingway House in Key West is NOT leaving. He is going to take care of the museum.

Yes, I was thinking the earthquake would impact the South American cruises that dock at Huatulco, Puerto Chiapas, and Puerto Quetzal. The epicenter was near Chiapas and it was hit hard. I guess there will be some changes in the itinerary.

If, let's say, that were to happen, and ports of call get changed, what happens to port excursions booked through HAL? Cancelled and refunded? Do I need to do this myself if I find out a port has been changed? Thank you!

If HAL cancels a port they refund your excursions. This i"m sure of from experience. Automatic.

But if you have paid for excursions ahead of boarding, I'm not sure if they will automatically refund your credit card prior to boarding, or if after boarding you get an OBC, so I would call HAL after I saw that the port was no longer on the itinerary. It hasn't happened to me yet so I can't say from experience. m--

We've been unable to dock at HMC several times...I'd guess 1/3 of our anticipated visits were redirected as the seas were too rough to tender. We always enjoyed an extra sea day when that happened.

We have never been able to dock at HMC. But we are 10 for 10 tendering there.

I agree with the others. First, way to early too figure out what might happen in November, when HAL first gets back in the Caribbean, not to much next March...heck the storm still has days of potential raging to do.

Second, the Caribbean is big (by the way, I think it is correct say this storm has not actually affected the Caribbean, only the Atlantic ), and if some islands are severely damaged, there are some alternatives.

We have never been able to dock at HMC. But we are 10 for 10 tendering there.

I agree with the others. First, way to early too figure out what might happen in November, when HAL first gets back in the Caribbean, not to much next March...heck the storm still has days of potential raging to do.

Second, the Caribbean is big (by the way, I think it is correct say this storm has not actually affected the Caribbean, only the Atlantic ), and if some islands are severely damaged, there are some alternatives.

LOL! I know that...obviously. My bad. [emoji12][emoji13][emoji12]

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

, and if some islands are severely damaged, there are some alternatives.

And maybe some ports that have not been frequent on the lists will be there now! I'd love to have other places added. It seems like 75% of HAL Caribbean cruises do San Juan, St Thomas, St Maarten &/or Grand Turk. There all ok - but I'd be interested in some place new.

(And yes - I've done Western and Southern)

I recently purchased cruise insurance from a mutual insurance company called choice cruise and it had a provision for a $750 benefit for a Port of Call change - prior to departure, and a $500 Itinerary change - Pre-Paid Excursion Reimbursement. Those won't cover the cost of the cruise, but could help out in some cases now that future Caribbean itineraries and uncertain.

Actually, the Caribbean Sea is a sea in the Atlantic Ocean, so you are both correct.

Does anyone know how the private island made it through the storm?

It sounded like it made it through most of Irma's wrath becase of the change.

I haven't seen an update on HAL's FB page though. I'm just going by following the track of the hurricane and what has been reported on the news.