What happens (after hurricane Irma) if the Fort Lauderdale port has damage?

Srkm97

A friend of mine is on Breakaway. They were told not to get off the ship unless they lived in the area, already had a flight home, or had a car at the port with a full tank of gas. They gave them free internet on the way back to port. Personally, I would have just stayed on the ship as well.

Does anyone know if Carnival offered to let cruisers on shortened sailings remain on board? There were very few airline seats left on Thursday when they discharged the Labor Day sailings. Probably lots had cars parked nearby, but anyone attempting to switch their flights to Thursday would have plenty of difficulty finding a ticket. The airport states it will be shutting down and transferring any people waiting for a flight but without tickets to local shelters.

Imagine getting away from a hurricane at sea but then being put off the ship directly into a major Cat 4 zone.

Does anyone know if Carnival offered to let cruisers on shortened sailings remain on board? There were very few airline seats left on Thursday when they discharged the Labor Day sailings. Probably lots had cars parked nearby, but anyone attempting to switch their flights to Thursday would have plenty of difficulty finding a ticket. The airport states it will be shutting down and transferring any people waiting for a flight but without tickets to local shelters.

Imagine getting away from a hurricane at sea but then being put off the ship directly into a major Cat 4 zone.

For the Victory that came in last night I think all guests had to be off this morning. I don't believe they let guests elect to stay on.

A friend of mine is on Breakaway. They were told not to get off the ship unless they lived in the area, already had a flight home, or had a car at the port with a full tank of gas. They gave them free internet on the way back to port. Personally, I would have just stayed on the ship as well.

thatss odd considering the Breakaway is doing the NYC to Bermuda runs which is not effected by these hurricanes.

When Hurricane Ike hit Galveston, I believe it took the Port of Galveston some 5 or 6 weeks to repair and start sailing again. For those weeks when the Port of Galveston was in repair, sailings used the Houston Bayport Terminal. It is a nice terminal, that is something that could be used in an emergency for some cruises.......just a thought.

The Bayport Terminal no longer exists for that purpose. It is now used for car storage from incoming shipments. Ramps used to board the cruise ships has been removed and sold.

Sitting here in Tampa bay I continue to prep for storm with one eye ready to bug out . I can say while it's still uncertain where it will hit , most of the tracks are going to wack ft lauderdale .. the best case would be staying close to shore and going up the coast line , come in mid and veering east would be the worst case Scenario.. the infrastructure supporting the port and surrounding area going to be hit hard ..

I predict whatever damage there is, it will be quickly taken care of. Below is a video here of a guy name Juan Brown, he a long distance airline pilot with American Airlines. He does a good job on the Irma video. He's known for his coverage on the Oroville Dam spillway disaster, and has covered other tragic events besides being a pilot. Juan talks about the infrastructure in Florida. Watch to the end, it's the best part!

For the Victory that came in last night I think all guests had to be off this morning. I don't believe they let guests elect to stay on.

Kind of rude to drop people off with no flights or hope of leaving now

On John Healds FB page, from CD on Victory "We have 499 guests that decided to stay with us and take the Carnival Victory as shelter to avoid Irma. Additionally, we are also taking care of our Carnival Studios family as we took aprox. 80 dancers and singers in rehearsal, entertainment staff etc onboard to sail with us and they are even jumping in and volunteering to be part of the guest’s experience during this cruise."

I predict whatever damage there is, it will be quickly taken care of. Below is a video here of a guy name Juan Brown, he a long distance airline pilot with American Airlines. He does a good job on the Irma video. He's known for his coverage on the Oroville Dam spillway disaster, and has covered other tragic events besides being a pilot. Juan talks about the infrastructure in Florida. Watch to the end, it's the best part!

Tampa is poorly prepared for a major hurricane. The storm track shift to the west is very bad news for west coast.

On John Healds FB page, from CD on Victory "We have 499 guests that decided to stay with us and take the Carnival Victory as shelter to avoid Irma. Additionally, we are also taking care of our Carnival Studios family as we took aprox. 80 dancers and singers in rehearsal, entertainment staff etc onboard to sail with us and they are even jumping in and volunteering to be part of the guest’s experience during this cruise."

I am glad to read that. I had read many posting they were being forced off with nowhere to go. I guess an option was provided.

The Miami building looks mostly made of glass, can't see it holding up too well. Unless they have a massive shutter set up.

If it is a relatively new building (post Hurricane Andrew) it is made with hurricane impact resistant windows; even if it is an older building, they could have replaced the old windows with hurricane impact windows (as I did in my condo).

Tampa is poorly prepared for a major hurricane. The storm track shift to the west is very bad news for west coast.

About six weeks ago the Washington Post ran an article that now seems unhappily prescient: Tampa Bay's Coming Storm (https://www.washingtonpost.com/graphics/2017/health/environment/tampa-bay-climate-change/?utm_term=.637464a3d7b5). "The area is due for a major hurricane and it is not prepared. If a big one scores a direct hit, the damage would likely surpass Katrina."

Kind of rude to drop people off with no flights or hope of leaving now

Especially since both RCCL & MSC allowed passengers to stay aboard, for an expanded Mexican cruise and Royal even had its employees to on the Empress/or similar smaller ship.

we are suppose to sail out of Fort Lauderdale sept 16th and of course we are hoping hurricane Irma turns and misses Florida completely, but if it doesn't will the cruise ships still expect to continue? Anyone had this happen to them before?

It's already affecting Florida.

Thanks for all the answers. We are coming from Vancouver bc and are suppose to fly out the 14th. i Kind of figured it will all be canceled and it should be. Priority for everyone there should be the clean up and helping each other not getting people on their cruise for vacation. I just wish the cruise lines would cancel and let us book else where. Well that's my 2 cents.

While cleanup is important so is keeping people working so they can support their families and pay for their own property repairs as needed. Keeping the cruises sailing helps the port workers, the cruise line employees and the cruise crew that depends mainly on gratuities for their income, as well as the islands where the hurricane may have affected people. A cancelled cruise hurts many.

Does any one have an idea how long it usually takes to confirm a port is safe for use?

Since the storm is hitting Port Everglades tonight and tomorrow morning, what is a good time line to see if my cruise is still going to happen as planned?

I'm wondering if the widespread power outages mean that all bets are off even though the storm didn't technically make landfall on the East Coast.

My friend is currently on the Splendor, they left Cozumel Friday night and are circling waiting to see when they can return to Ft Lauderdale. They are being told hopefully Tuesday but I'm wondering if they will divert to a different port if they are unable. Maybe New Orleans??

Sent from my iPhone using Forums

From the Sun-Sentinel (Fort Lauderdale newspaper) website (www.sun-sentinel.com):

8:40 p.m.; Airport, port and shelters:
Broward County officials hope to have Fort Lauderdale-Hollywood International Airport partially open for flights on Tuesday and Port Everglades ready to accept cruise ships on Wednesday.

County spokesman Ric Barrick said officials plan to inspect the airfield Monday and depending on the level of debris and damage, airlines could be allowed to reposition their planes to the airport to begin flights on Tuesday morning. However, that’s far from certain as officials are already aware of flooding on the western portion of the north runway that could delay the airport’s ability to bring planes into the airport.

Crews will also do an aerial survey of the port with the Broward Sheriff’s Office to check out the channels and to see if the port can bring in cruise ships currently scheduled to arrive on Wednesday, Barrick said.

From the Sun-Sentinel (Fort Lauderdale newspaper) website (www.sun-sentinel.com):

8:40 p.m.; Airport, port and shelters:
Broward County officials hope to have Fort Lauderdale-Hollywood International Airport partially open for flights on Tuesday and Port Everglades ready to accept cruise ships on Wednesday.

County spokesman Ric Barrick said officials plan to inspect the airfield Monday and depending on the level of debris and damage, airlines could be allowed to reposition their planes to the airport to begin flights on Tuesday morning. However, that’s far from certain as officials are already aware of flooding on the western portion of the north runway that could delay the airport’s ability to bring planes into the airport.

Crews will also do an aerial survey of the port with the Broward Sheriff’s Office to check out the channels and to see if the port can bring in cruise ships currently scheduled to arrive on Wednesday, Barrick said.

Yikes!! I'll let the cruise line give her that info!! Her cruise was supposed to end this past Saturday and I know she is very anxious to get home. She has a one yr old little girl she is really missing.

Sent from my iPhone using Forums

From the Broward County mayor's recent press conference thanks to the Sun-Sentinel website.

AIRPORT: The Fort Lauderdale-Hollywood International Airport will open Tuesday at 4 a.m., Sharief (the mayor) said.

PORT EVERGLADES: The port, which receives and distributes fuel to 12 counties, is being assessed for damage.

I noted that there was no mention in the article about the status of the return of cruise ships to Port Everglades. On the Port Everglades website it notes:

The Port is working with the cruise lines to determine how to best accommodate cruise guests who are returning this week. Cruise passengers should continue to check with their cruise lines for the latest information on upcoming itineraries.

When Hurricane Ike hit Galveston, I believe it took the Port of Galveston some 5 or 6 weeks to repair and start sailing again. For those weeks when the Port of Galveston was in repair, sailings used the Houston Bayport Terminal. It is a nice terminal, that is something that could be used in an emergency for some cruises.......just a thought.

It was sold and is used for other things now.