Coastal Kitchen

pacruzer02

It is "manned". The host or hostess is standing at a podium outside the door.

The only thing in Coastal Kitchen IS Coastal Kitchen.

If you managed to "sneak" in, what would you do? Just seat yourselves at a table? The waiters would see that you did not have menus and know that the host/ess had not seated you.

No, I just know for the lowly JS passenger, Oasis can be intimidating to enter since you have to knock and hope someone answers. Sounds much more civilized on Anthem if it is merely a podium.

Sent from my HTC One_M8 using Forums mobile app

No, I just know for the lowly JS passenger, Oasis can be intimidating to enter since you have to knock and hope someone answers. Sounds much more civilized on Anthem if it is merely a podium.

You have to knock on Harmony and Allure as well. Or slide in with another guest.

Yes, a podium outside CK, where the host will greet you and then seat you. We just got off Anthem today; we were in a Spa JS, and CK was fabulous. Sorry, but the knocking thing sounds tacky.

The Costal Kitchen is nice, but it is essentially a small MDR.

You are joking right? There is no possible way that Coastal Kitchen can be compared to the MDR, especially on Oasis class ships. Free wine and mixed drinks in the MDR, NOT. Outstanding menus with quality small portions, MDR - NOT. No waiting in long lines, even with a reservation - MDR, NOT.

You are joking right? There is no possible way that Coastal Kitchen can be compared to the MDR, especially on Oasis class ships. Free wine and mixed drinks in the MDR, NOT. Outstanding menus with quality small portions, MDR - NOT. No waiting in long lines, even with a reservation - MDR, NOT.

Unfortunately, other than the free drinks, it's getting on par with MDR.

Breakfast and lunch, though slow, are fabulous.

Dinner used to be nicer.

Dinner used to be nicer.

No, I’m not joking. I agree with John. I have sailed on Oasis Class ships numerous times in full Suites and IMO it’s nice but it isn’t all that.

Just scale the venue back, they aren’t cooking for thousands. More likely less than a hundred a night. Thus the small lines, limited waiting, hotter food and more personalized service. However, they have the same rotating menu every week, similar to the larger MDR. They are not making meals individually from scratch, or cooking table side.

It is a small dining room, comparable to a restaurant. One could say it has a Country club feel. However, it is included with your Suite cost so you have already paid for the “free”;) wine/mixed drinks and the food.

It isn’t the exact same as the MDR, but it sure isn’t the Chefs Table either.

No, I’m not joking. I agree with John. I have sailed on Oasis Class ships numerous times in full Suites and IMO it’s nice but it isn’t all that.

small lines, limited waiting, hotter food and more personalized service.

I agree it is not the chiefs table, but you said it yourself, "small lines, limited waiting, hotter food and more personalized service." I would add better food. That alone makes it better than the MDR. As for the free drinks, I have never sailed in a suite, so i am not paying suite prices. I just spent two months on the Ovation and free drinks are not included in CK. I would still rate it far superior to the MDR. Without saying, it is just my opinion.

I agree it is not the chiefs table, but you said it yourself, "small lines, limited waiting, hotter food and more personalized service." I would add better food. That alone makes it better than the MDR. As for the free drinks, I have never sailed in a suite, so i am not paying suite prices. I just spent two months on the Ovation and free drinks are not included in CK. I would still rate it far superior to the MDR. Without saying, it is just my opinion.

I basically stated what you had previous to me. If you prorate the number of people served int the CK, compared to the MDR I suspect they are almost the same average, just in a different and more personable setting. It was my understanding that JS guests in the CK had to pay for their drinks, and from what you are saying that is correct.

I do have CK booked for our last night of the cruise a few weeks from now, as well as disembarkation morning. I personally find it a nice way to wind down the cruise. To reflect upon the week, and the fun that was had. I also have it booked for disembarkation morning. That, IMO is where is shines the most. A quiet haven on the day of chaos.

I basically stated what you had previous to me. If you prorate the number of people served int the CK, compared to the MDR I suspect they are almost the same average, just in a different and more personable setting. It was my understanding that JS guests in the CK had to pay for their drinks, and from what you are saying that is correct.

I do have CK booked for our last night of the cruise a few weeks from now, as well as disembarkation morning. I personally find it a nice way to wind down the cruise. To reflect upon the week, and the fun that was had. I also have it booked for disembarkation morning. That, IMO is where is shines the most. A quiet haven on the day of chaos.

Never paid for a drink in CK as a JS passenger. We were D+ at the time, though. However, I don't think the waitstaff checks or cares.

Sent from my HTC One_M8 using Tapatalk

John, the salad looks interesting but did you eat half of the flat bread?
Yea, it was different than usual. I didn't want the gorgonzola, and bacon really isn't pancetta. I'm bad about pictures. Tend to do them as an afterthought. [emoji6]

More breakfast

Fresh squeezed OJ is included, but you have to ask. Laura got a BLT every morning. The lettuce was hit or miss since they really don't have it that early. No pics of the BLT, the second photo was eggs Benedict

062966edf7e6ece8503e5a8409e318a2.jpg47b48988db334ee0b009978e122fcf7a.jpg

Suite Lounge breakfast. Sets up around 30 minutes before CK opens. Home of the magical espresso machine.

94d2a2f226836881535ab9fae4370d31.jpg90297ab02e056772611d047b7276fd55.jpg5bb908b16ebb445a2cf500f98fb3f6b6.jpg

Edited by John&LaLa

Just scale the venue back, they aren’t cooking for thousands. More likely less than a hundred a night. Thus the small lines, limited waiting, hotter food and more personalized service. However, they have the same rotating menu every week, similar to the larger MDR. They are not making meals individually from scratch, or cooking table side.

It is a small dining room, comparable to a restaurant. One could say it has a Country club feel. However, it is included with your Suite cost so you have already paid for the “free”;) wine/mixed drinks and the food.

It isn’t the exact same as the MDR, but it sure isn’t the Chefs Table either.

I more or less agree. There are positives : better dinning experience, food better presented and some good menu choices etc. However, it is not a five star experience and compares poorly to Queen's Grill on Cunard or speciality dinning on Celebrity. My experience on Anthem a few years ago was actually very poor. In fact, as suite guests, our experience in other dinning rooms was far superior.

On my last cruise on Allure food was good but mixed experience with the service. Not all servers were knowledgeable or competent.

Reason for mentioning speciality dinning on Celebrity is that you get 2 complementary meals in their restaurants as suite guests.

I would even add, just to get a sense of perspective, a meal in a speciality restaurant on P&O is a far superior experience to CK. P&O is not even a premium brand.

Dinner used to be nicer.

I'm intrigued by the 'free drinks' comment. Is dinner served with wine?

We are in a GS on Anthem next year and that would be a nice surprise for the evenings we dine in Coastal Kitchen.

Are the menus and menu rotation the same on all OA class ships?

Not sure. Will know more about Allure in March. Also sailing Harmony in September, but a lot can change by then

FWIW, I originally was going to post these pics in a comparison between Oasis and Allure.

Not sure. Will know more about Allure in March. Also sailing Harmony in September, but a lot can change by then

FWIW, I originally was going to post these pics in a comparison between Oasis and Allure.

We have to organize our cruises better. I’m on Harmony this March and Allure in September. Maybe next time. LOL

Edited by A&L_Ont

I'm intrigued by the 'free drinks' comment. Is dinner served with wine?

We are in a GS on Anthem next year and that would be a nice surprise for the evenings we dine in Coastal Kitchen.

It is on Oasis and Allure. Not sure about Anthem.