Concerened about Cruise in Dec 2017 -Hurrticane effects

LadyD1121

Hi cruise buddies!! I am concerned about my upcoming cruise in December all of the islands that are part of my itinerary have been hit by the current hurricanes. I make my final Payment next week and and and I'm unsure of what to do. what happens if my itinerary is changed? what happens of my cruise is canceled? what happens if we go and thge islands just aren't ready for us? Should i definately add cruise insurance now? Thanks for your input in advance I've never had this happen before.

If your cruise goes to affected ports that can't handle a cruise stop, your itinerary will be changed. They aren't going to islands that "aren't ready" for you. Your cruise won't be cancelled.

Insurance purchased now won't allow you to cover cancellation for an event that already happened. Everyone traveling out-of-the country should purchase insurance if only to have medical and medical evacuation coverage.

I personally would cancel, but that's me. If you are fine going anywhere and just want to cruise, making final payment may be a good choice for you.

Whytot wait until the storm is over, you can see what damage, where and then decide? Seems a bit too soon to make d ecisions when youd o not q hve information.

Were it me, i would not be cancelling now i fa t all

Whytot wait until the storm is over, you can see what damage, where and then decide? Seems a bit too soon to make d ecisions when youd o not q hve information.

Were it me, i would not be cancelling now i fa t all

Totally agree with you. Our next cruise is in three WEEKS, not three MONTHS, out of Miami. There is no way we are cancelling. (nor would they cancel this cruise either...unless the port was wiped out). I anticipate Key West will be removed from our itinerary and although I will be disappointed, I will survive.

I am in the same boat (no pun intended), wondering what I should do. Our cruise leaves Ft Lauderdale mid November and all found four ports we visit have been affected by Irma- Key west, grand Turk, Amber cove and Bahamas. We specifically booked this cruise for grand Turk, as we have been to all other ports numerous times. If we aren't going to grand Turk, I don't know if I want to go. What are the chances of a reschedule for this cruise?

I am in the same boat (no pun intended), wondering what I should do. Our cruise leaves Ft Lauderdale mid November and all found four ports we visit have been affected by Irma- Key west, grand Turk, Amber cove and Bahamas. We specifically booked this cruise for grand Turk, as we have been to all other ports numerous times. If we aren't going to grand Turk, I don't know if I want to go. What are the chances of a reschedule for this cruise?

Your cruise will not be "rescheduled"..they will only change ports if necessary.

A few things to remember:

1.) Tourism is the NUMBER ONE INDUSTRY for many of these islands. That means it is in their best interest to get the cruise ships coming back as soon as possible and to make it an enjoyable experience. If they don't do this, the rest of the rebuild will be even more difficult.

2.) The cruise lines are continuously monitoring the situation. The will make sure the infrastructure is there, and there are plenty of shore excursion options before they make the decision to return to a port.

3.) If the cruise line decides it is not in the passengers' best interest to stop at a port, they will make changes to the itinerary. You will be refunded for any canceled shore excursions and offered new options.

No matter what, most of you will still manage to have a fabulous vacation. While it may seem cold to be talking about taking vacations to islands that have been hit by hurricanes, keep in mind that it helps them too.

If you only want to go to the originals ports that were offered then cancel

If you are willing to accept changes in the ports then just keep the booking

The ships will sail with or without you

before you cancel be sure to read the fine print of the cruise contract & if you did buy trip cancellation insurance read that also

We are past final payment so we are just going with the flow

ymmv

I'm in a similar position. Our cruise final payment was on the 9th. We discussed what to do and decided if it goes, we go. Most of the most fun things we do are water related so I'm hoping those catamarans and sailboats were sent to safe harbor before the storm hit.

Hi cruise buddies!! I am concerned about my upcoming cruise in December all of the islands that are part of my itinerary have been hit by the current hurricanes. I make my final Payment next week and and and I'm unsure of what to do. what happens if my itinerary is changed? what happens of my cruise is canceled? what happens if we go and thge islands just aren't ready for us? Should i definately add cruise insurance now? Thanks for your input in advance I've never had this happen before.

Cruise insurance is only if something happens to you, where YOU can't make it to the port for various reasons like: you missed your flight, you got sick, your flight was cancelled, something that effects you, etc. not the ship or cruise line fault. This will insurance will cover you. Now if something happens on the cruise line behalf for reasons like: the port was damaged, cruise line themselves cancelled the cruise, etc. THEN the cruise line will reimburse you and or try to find another ship for you. You don't need insurance for anything pertaining to the cruise line it self making cancellations.

If the ports you are traveling to are damaged, the cruise line makes adjustments to find another port to sail to. This may mean less destinations and more time at sea or could be same amount. But none the less, if you are sailing for 7 days, your cruise will still be 7 days regardless of which islands are damaged. I wouldn't worry.

Make the final payment, you're still going to have a great time!

We are booked for 2 B2B cruises in November. All our ports were affected by Irma except for Grand Cayman islands.

We will be a bit disappointed if we can't stop in Key West but honestly, I've been to almost every port in The Caribbean so whatever they replace it with, we will be happy.

Like someone before mentioned too, they really need our tourism dollars so they will rebuild as fast as they can and things may not look perfect but that's no big deal. I'm not going there for the architecture. I'd go to Europe if we were looking for that. We are going for the rest, relaxation, Caribbean vibes, the amazing Caribbean people and the sunshine. Of those things, there will be plenty 😊

Sent from my SM-G935W8 using Forums mobile app

Hi, I'm booked for a cruise out of Saint Martin on Dec 16. I'm ok with different ports but I need a hotel for two night before. Will there be hotel rooms?

You are cruising out of St. Martin??? I have never seen that before. What cruise line? Welcome to Cruise Critic !

Edited by champagne123

Hi, I'm booked for a cruise out of Saint Martin on Dec 16. I'm ok with different ports but I need a hotel for two night before. Will there be hotel rooms?

I would check with Wind Star about that

The airport was severely damaged too so perhaps they may start from another port even??

Sent from my SM-G935W8 using Forums mobile app

i wouldn't assume anything during September for cruises leaving out of Florida. The rest of us just need to decide if we are willing to accept other ports, at least until the end of the year.

As for us, we are spending a couple nights in South Beach before our mid-October cruise. We are very flexible, so a change there isn't a big deal. But it does show how complicated this storm is for vacationing in Florida.

Burt

It's a Windstar cruise. December 16, 7 days from Saint Martin to Saint Martin. I have airfare booked into SXM two days before. Just wondering if and when I'll be able to book a hotel.

You may want to wait a few days until they access the situation there

There may not even be flights landing there then

They barely have supplies coming in to help those in need

It's a Windstar cruise. December 16, 7 days from Saint Martin to Saint Martin. I have airfare booked into SXM two days before. Just wondering if and when I'll be able to book a hotel.

I wish you all the best, but there is a lot of uncertainty regarding how long it will take for St. Maarten and the several British Virgin Islands on your itinerary to recover. I assume you are still outside the final payment date - you might want to consider canceling or at least asking WIndstar if they are looking into other ports.

I would start looking into hotel rooms now as this is going to be an issue I think. Look into private listings for condo's as well. Try and find a place with a good cancellation window as well.Are you set to leave from Phillipsburg or Marigot?

If the docks are not ready but the port-of-call is open, you would be tendered, which takes longer. I cruised in December, 2005, shortly after Wilma hit. We tendered into Cozumel. Many of the buildings were damaged or destroyed, and tents or portable buildings were used.