Unusual & intrusive questions by AA agent at Barelona Airport

nelblu

I don't really see why anyone would have a hard time with this. Anyone with ill intent would obviously have their guard up when going through actual security. They might be more able to be caught off guard once through and talking to an airline agent. I don't see any harm and if it does actually do something to help keep me safer at 36000 feet over the middle of the Atlantic ocean then ask away.

Those (seemingly) random questions are a different security model--which has been shown to be much better than the American one of removing shoes, etc. They are, as someone else pointed out, looking at the person. They don't care about your answers. They want to know if you react within the normal range and are unlikely to be terrorists. Once time in Madrid, we were asked how long ago we bought our suitcases? Had they been good suitcases to own? What did we enjoy about Madrid? Where did we stay? Did we take public busses?

None of our answers was important to them but our reactions and interactions with each other were important. I wish the U.S. had this security model; I think we would be safer than we are currently. If you visit Israel, you'll see the same type of security--but even better done. In comparison, we know that in the U.S., in independent tests, almost all contraband (guns, knives, etc.) that is attempted to be smuggled onto an airline, makes it onto the plane. European countries--and Israel--use this security model because it works!

Edited by Pstreet12

Once going through customs I was asked some very specific details about where I lived, down to the street address. Come to find out, the customs agent lived about 7 houses away in the same neighborhood. He was on a temporary assignment at the airport I was flying into (which was several states away from where I live). We then went on the chat for several more minutes. Small world...

The people behind you must have been so pleased.

London Heathrow does the same thing. I call it "stupid question" security. I just put my best NY attitude on and they move me along very quickly.

Last month:

Agent: Nature of trip

Me: Business

Agent: Who is the CEO of your company?

Me: Do you have a list of CEO's back there to validate I am telling the truth?

Agent: No

Me: Blank stare

Agent: Here is your boarding pass, have a nice flight

Definitely does not make me feel safer...

+1!

I had a scary experience at customs from Montreal back into the US. Got extra screening, was taken into a small room where I was questioned extensively, my bag was emptied, etc. Was a long affair, asked me a lot of questions like this...

"Do you own a gun", "Have you ever owned a gun", "Have you ever fired a gun", "Does anyone in your family own a gun", "How much cash do you have on you", "What did you do in Montreal", "Where do you work", "Why isn't your husband traveling with you", "What does your husband do" and MANY others

and at the end of it all, the customs agents told me they only did it because I was a woman, traveling alone, from Texas. Really peeved me off and talk about a scary experience. Anything could have happened to me in that little room and no one would have ever believed me over a customs official. The whole experience has led me to research my rights with things like this, and unfortunately it has made me wary of traveling alone because of it. There's nothing worse than being questioned by these officials and not knowing what you can say or stand up for yourself for fear of being detained.

Nothing was found in my bags and the dogs never alerted them to anything in the first place. Plus, coming out of that room with all eyes on me was pretty embarressing, I felt so judged.

Lucky us, when we get off the Mariner in Barcelona 5/7/18 we hang out for 2 days and then grab the Carnival Horizon for a 14 day cruise to Halifax and then NYC. Of course it is more expensive than flying from Barcelona to NYC, but a lot more relaxing and fun. I love being retired and having enough time to NOT fly. We especially love not flying on AA.

I have to say I'm getting a good laugh at your reaction and you are sounding pretty dum right now. They are doing this for security screening in order to protect the airport, planes and passengers. They are asking things to see you reaction, not to verify specific details.

Many people here have already explained this to you. It's not a hard concept to grasp.

Sent from my iPhone using Forums

That does not mean that I have to accept it. Again, if placing responsibility on the agent we are all in trouble.

By the way, when I went thru security screen at the airport, I set off an alarm. Was asked to step aside and expected to be scanned with a wand which is normal procedure at US airports. Guess what, none was done. He asked if the specific carry on bag was mine and he just touched my bag with some utensil and I was given the clearance to proceed on my merry way. Our gate was at T1 B62 which could only get to via add'l security checkpoint. There were some 6-7 gates in this location. We showed our passports and boarding ticket. Same done upon boarding plane. Don't know if this was only for AA flights or included other carriers.

Lucky us, when we get off the Mariner in Barcelona 5/7/18 we hang out for 2 days and then grab the Carnival Horizon for a 14 day cruise to Halifax and then NYC. Of course it is more expensive than flying from Barcelona to NYC, but a lot more relaxing and fun. I love being retired and having enough time to NOT fly. We especially love not flying on AA.

What is wrong with AA? One of the best flights I ever had was AA from Boston to Heathrow on a half filled Boeing 777. Unfortunately, I have not ever again encountered a flight with such good passenger numbers.

If that bothered you, don't fly out of Israel. You will end up being stripped searched. Think about it, It was 9/10, the day before the anniversary of 9/11. They are only trying to keep you safe.

Sorry, it won't let me delete this.....

Edited by eadien7

What is wrong with AA? One of the best flights I ever had was AA from Boston to Heathrow on a half filled Boeing 777. Unfortunately, I have not ever again encountered a flight with such good passenger numbers.

We also enjoyed flying on AA. Both legs were smooth & uneventful. Got a good price flying out of Philly rather than JFK or Newark Int'l. Also, saved on parking which at $11 per day was a steal as compared to the other 2 airports.

OP, if you find those questions intrusive, I'm guessing you've never flown out of Israel.

Oops, you beat me to it. It was the day before the anniversary of 9/11. I remember the first time I did it years ago. A young woman traveling alone. Luckily I was warned to keep business cards, meeting agendas, etc.

That does not mean that I have to accept it. Again, if placing responsibility on the agent we are all in trouble.

I don't think there is any consistency to anything at airports or airlines. Once, BEFORE getting into the TSA line, I was asked to put my purse in my carryon bag by the lady standing at the front of the line (The person who checks your ticket before you get in line) I asked her why, because I thought I was odd, and she told me to just to do as she asked and wouldn't give me an answer. :rolleyes: I can't see any reason why I would need to combine bags before getting in the TSA line and I really shouldn't have been forced to do so, but what are we supposed to do? Once we enter the airport, seems like we are powerless almost if we want to get to our destination in time

The rudest employees I have ever encountered are those who work in airports. They treat paying passengers like garbage because they can, and we put up with it because they have the power to deny boarding.

I have never been treated like garbage by any airline or airport employee. I suspect your attitude may have something to do with your treatment.

Those (seemingly) random questions are a different security model--which has been shown to be much better than the American one of removing shoes, etc. They are, as someone else pointed out, looking at the person. They don't care about your answers. They want to know if you react within the normal range and are unlikely to be terrorists. Once time in Madrid, we were asked how long ago we bought our suitcases? Had they been good suitcases to own? What did we enjoy about Madrid? Where did we stay? Did we take public busses?

None of our answers was important to them but our reactions and interactions with each other were important. I wish the U.S. had this security model; I think we would be safer than we are currently. If you visit Israel, you'll see the same type of security--but even better done. In comparison, we know that in the U.S., in independent tests, almost all contraband (guns, knives, etc.) that is attempted to be smuggled onto an airline, makes it onto the plane. European countries--and Israel--use this security model because it works!

Civil liberties is very cherished in the US and not sure if this would constitute profiling. Maybe I'm spoiled since I have both TSA clearance & Global Entry and I don't have to remove my belt, shoes, etc. prior to entering the security screening process. My fingerprints and my personal profile are on file and co-ordinated with my passport.

Don't ever visit Israel...

This happened on Sept. 10 when we checked in for our 1:05 pm flight on American to Philadelphia. The agent was pleasant and when she saw the RCL luggage tag asked us about the trip. We saw nothing in the question as our impression was that she was being friendly. The subsequent questions were unusual.

Q: How was your trip--no problem.

Q: Which countries we visited--no problem.

Problematic questions.

Q: Turned to my wife and asked her what was the cabin #, as though my wife was hiding something.

Q: How did we book our cruise.

Q: When I answered that I booked it on line, she proceeded to ask me the web-site address. Rather than prolong the discussion I told her that it was via RCL at RCCL.com.

I was tempted to tell her that it was none of her business, but since we were close to the weight limit, I played along.

As we completed our check-in, we wondered if we were selected for this process as we could not check-in on line on Brilliance and instead were advised to check-in at airport.

At our gate, there was an irate member of the UC Irvine, California water polo team that was incensed by some inane questions posed by a AA agent to her.

Wonder if this is new as part of the overall security package.

We've been thru Barcelona Airport and never experienced this process.

By the way, when I went thru security screen at the airport, I set off an alarm. Was asked to step aside and expected to be scanned with a wand which is normal procedure at US airports. Guess what, none was done. He asked if the specific carry on bag was mine and he just touched my bag with some utensil and I was given the clearance to proceed on my merry way. Our gate was at T1 B62 which could only get to via add'l security checkpoint. There were some 6-7 gates in this location. We showed our passports and boarding ticket. Same done upon boarding plane. Don't know if this was only for AA flights or included other carriers.

How do you know that the only person watching you was the desk person? Look around, there are cameras everywhere. And the people behind the camera are NOT desk agents.

And that "utensil," if you watched, was inserted into a machine. It was testing for explosive materials.

Again, we are NO SAFER. We travel on cruise ships, and on buses and trains, with much less screening than we experience in airports. We have been trained to check our common sense at the door the minute we enter an airport, and to act like sheep while subjected to ever-more intrusive and pushy security procedures. In my case, these procedures are imposed upon me by people who often have much less education and much less experience in the workplace than I do.

I have NEVER been rude to a Customs agent. I have NEVER refused to answer a question. However, if check-in agents want to know what stateroom I stayed in, they can call the cruise line and ask. I'll wait.

Flying has become a miserable experience. Security is important and necessary, but there is a limit.

By the way, I am not an American.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk