Balconies Caribe Verses Dolphin?

yags

We are traveling on the Grand next June and are considering going from a balcony room on Caribe deck to a Mini suite on Dolphin Deck both mid ship. Do the mini suites have a larger balcony like the ones on Caribe? What are the plus and minuses, if any, of this thinking? thanks for the help.

Mini suites are larger, have a sofa, two TV's, larger bath with tub/shower. The balconies are 9'x6' and uncovered. Mini suites on Emerald deck, there are 12 of them aft have covered balconies.

Balcony cat. cabins on Caribe deck have 9'x9' balconies. Five foot is covered and 4 foot uncovered.

Exactly, it depends on what you want...we have done both types. The Dolphin mini suites will be totally open, so no cover from rain (if you have any) and people above can see you. But they do offer a tub shower, sofa, and two TV's. It depends on what you will use more. The Caribe balcony cabins are still nice and offer half coverage from possible rain.

Sent from my iPhone using Forums

We had C753 booked. Aft-facing Caribe balcony. We were offered an upsell to a mini for $100 each. No...Freaking...Way. Kept the cabin we had booked. Just because a cabin is larger and has a bigger bathroom and two TV sets doesn't make it more desirable to everybody. Only the actual person involved can make that sort of decision. The opinion of others really doesn't matter.

Hi,

I have done both types of staterooms. I prefer the interior of the mini-suites on Dolphin Deck (more space, larger bathroom with tub, two televisions, etc.), but I prefer the balconies on Caribe Deck because they are partially covered and offer some privacy (if you are in the covered portion). Also, there is some protection from the rain or sun. The balconies on Dolphin are completely open and don't have any privacy (or protection). You also should consider one of the mini-suites located aft on Emerald Deck (the balconies are covered).

For my next cruise (Crown Princess in February 2018), I have booked a balcony stateroom on Caribe Deck.

Chuck

Have cruised both and we prefer dolphin deck mini. Love the extra interior space and storage, and as a reader I prefer sitting on the couch rather than sitting up in bed or in the desk chair for any length of time. Enjoy being able to look directly down into the water, and don't care if people can look down and see me because I can also look up and see them (secure those robes, people!). The bigger bathroom is handy in the Caribbean when you have wet swimwear to dry. Personal preference and priorities.

I was always a mini suite fan and then I learned about the Caribe balconies here on CC. I'm perfectly happy to hang out under the shaded part of the balcony vs the totally exposed mini suite balcony as I have very fair skin. The semi covered balcony came in handy for our UBD when in port in Honolulu when it started to sprinkle. No need to head inside. I'll gladly give up a little room on the interior, for more useable space on the balcony. The fact that the cabin is cheaper too, is a plus!

Mini suites are larger, have a sofa, two TV's, larger bath with tub/shower. The balconies are 9'x6' and uncovered. Mini suites on Emerald deck, there are 12 of them aft have covered balconies.

Balcony cat. cabins on Caribe deck have 9'x9' balconies. Five foot is covered and 4 foot uncovered.

JMO, but I don't consider the two tvs to be much of a plus. Since the cabin and it's extended area with the couch and chairs is still part of the same room, in reality both areas would usually still need to watch the same channel if they want the sound on. So, big whoopie!!

We generally prefer the Caribe deck because of the nice balconies and lower cost. However, on an upcoming Golden cruise (similar layout to the Grand) we opted for a Mini Suite. The reason? The Golden cruise will have a majority of its days in a colder climate...so we think the larger cabin is the better option on that type of cruise. In a place like the Caribbean we would have opted for the Caribe Deck.

I would add that we used to look down (in more ways then one) on the minis. But on one cruise our Caribe balcony cabin was flooded (a pipe broke) and we were moved to a mini (only cabin available). We immediately fell in love with the cabin layout. It is a shame that the new Royal Class changed cabin designs (and shrunk the balconies)...which is a game changer when booking those vessels.

Hank

• 2 weeks later...

Since I started this thread we have added 4 more people to our group who will have an interior cabin. We decided a bigger balcony was more valuable then a bigger room. So we are staying on Caribe Deck C333. Thanks for all the valuable input.

Since I started this thread we have added 4 more people to our group who will have an interior cabin. We decided a bigger balcony was more valuable then a bigger room. So we are staying on Caribe Deck C333. Thanks for all the valuable input.

Thanks for the update. It's always nice to know what the "original poster" decided on :)

Let us know how you enjoyed your cabin. :)

Enjoy your cruise and that bigger balcony. Just an FYI for future planning: we usually have all the couples in the group book at the same time so we can get adjoining balconies and open the dividers up...it doesn't always work out...this time we have 4 of 6 rooms connecting so we can have a huge balcony space...luckily the other 2 couples are just separated from us by 1 room...they can always climb over LOL!

Enjoy your cruise and that bigger balcony. Just an FYI for future planning: we usually have all the couples in the group book at the same time so we can get adjoining balconies and open the dividers up...it doesn't always work out...this time we have 4 of 6 rooms connecting so we can have a huge balcony space...luckily the other 2 couples are just separated from us by 1 room...they can always climb over LOL!

We were on the Crown this past March and did exactly that with the next room. In 2010 we did the Carnival Spirit to Mexico with 8 people. Our common balcony was 4 rooms long. AWESOME!

I know the decision has been made but wanted to throw in my 2 cents. Yes, the balcony with a mini on Dolphin desk is open but you don't have direct sun the entire day. There will be a time of day that the balcony is fully exposed to the sun but as the sun moves (and the ship) the shade shifts. Yes, the Caribe deck balconies are partially covered but depending on the angle of the sun (or the rain) it doesn't always provide the most protection.

The real reason I prefer a mini to a Caribe balcony is the couch. In the balcony cabin you have one comfortable chair (kind of comfortable) and no foot rest. Where is the other person supposed to sit? On the bed? In a straight back desk chair? In a mini we can both be comfortable.

JMO, but I don't consider the two tvs to be much of a plus. Since the cabin and it's extended area with the couch and chairs is still part of the same room, in reality both areas would usually still need to watch the same channel if they want the sound on. So, big whoopie!!

Valid point, but we usually have one TV on channel 42 (where's Pete now?) and the other on channel 43 (bridge cam + narrator commentary while in Alaska), with sound from channel 43. Other times, it's the Wake Show plus ch42.

All Valid arguments. I guess what persuaded us was that my brother was going to be to only guy on an interior cabin with 3 other women. We thought he might need an outside area to escape too. :eek: