Hurricane Maria

Bigbluegal

What do you doom-and-gloom folks suggest then?

I'm semi-skilled labor--I could help recover, repair and reconnect all sorts of electronics/PC/network equipment. If someone gave me the opportunity to do that while I was in port, I'd jump all over it. Maybe it makes me naive, not sure. But surely any help isn't a bad thing. Especially if you've got a few people coordinating to make sure the effort is more than "milling around".

Please don't take this wrong, volunteers are a great!. The key phrase here is having someone to coordinate. As someone who has done this, it works wonderfully when you know "x" of volunteers are coming because you can have specific jobs or areas they can work. It is very productive. When people show up out of the blue, sometimes it takes away from valuable time needed to complete critical tasks that need to get done.

I apologize. Would appear the realtor didn't have all the proper info when posting as the Facebook post paints a more serious situation.

lesson do not take emergency info from any business that depends on outsiders believing all is ok!

Take info from most importantly official sources and from those on the ground with

1. no axe to grind to hype up

2. no business requirement to play down.

I posted earlier about having heard that cruise ships where going to be requisitioned for evacuation - I stated in the post I hadn't been able to verify - I suppose this info from now does that.

Edited by fragilek

Please don't take this wrong, volunteers are a great!. The key phrase here is having someone to coordinate. As someone who has done this, it works wonderfully when you know "x" of volunteers are coming because you can have specific jobs or areas they can work. It is very productive. When people show up out of the blue, sometimes it takes away from valuable time needed to complete critical tasks that need to get done.

Agreed - not only that but people start coming in for the day as a skilled worker the paper trail would be huge. For every person doing this a check on their credentials would be required - for a day labour that's a lot of paper chasing for the powers that be. It works for short term stays not really for 1 day at a time.

Then for unskilled workers volunteering there is less likekly of cordination and the milling about, getting in the way senario would probably happen.

Also for anyone thinking about doing this - check you are insured to do so - I am not ofay with US insurance and how it works - but for any EU/UK members thinking of doing this you need specilised insurance - you are NOT covered under most normal trip stuff.

I just reread the letter and it is St Croix

Originally posted by lauraodonnell86 This was a post this morning from a real estate company that my husband and I follow in St. Croix.

Posting from the states on behalf of Farchette & Hanley: For all those concerned about Kerri and Chris Hanley... all is well! Spoke with them Wednesday night and they are only having connectivity issues following Hurricane Maria.

Overall, St. Croix luckily weathered well. Not nearly the catastrophic level of damage sustained on St. John and areas of St. Thomas from Hurricane Irma.

Here is the initial damage report they have seen or received info about on St. Croix, as many roads are currently impassable with down trees or power lines. We will update as we receive more info:

- Significant debris in streets of Christiansted and Frederiksted, no collapsed buildings

- Federal courthouse has significant roof damage

- Hospital has water damage but no roof damage

- Sunny isle is okay, maybe a couple of stores blown in with roll down shutters

- GoodHope CountryDay School is intact

- Major grocery stores seem okay

- Airport capable of receiving relief flights ASAP if allowed

- Gallows Bay: multiple roofs missing on businesses

- East End roof damage on 1 out of every 20-30 homes. Some roads impassible due to power lines. Very limited cell / internet.

LOL! I won't be buying what they're selling!

Exactly. Showing up in flip flops after hitting the buffet with a tool belt on over a bathing suit isn't realistic. Donate.

Here's one place to start. Woody gives eco tours in Dominica. He represented Dominica as a swimmer in the Atlanta Olympics. He is a great guy and has not been heard from since Monday. Anyone who did a tour with Woody made a friend for life.

http://woodydominica.com/donate/

Repair crews from the rest of the united states would have to requisition ferries to carry their service trucks and crews to Puerto Rico and the US Virgin Islands. Nothing like this has ever been attempted.

Primary recovery efforts have arrived via ships. Some where on island during the hurricane. Airport terminal is a mess, airport is open but mostly for recovery and military.

It takes time, there is a debate whether airlines are operating at the airport. Changes by hour. The ports are good. Hotels are starting to shut down. Patience is the key.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Ok folks please do not burn me at the stake for what I am about to say . First of ,yes I am loyal to RCL and have been for ten years , do they have things that can be improved , yeppers but on the whole they are a pretty good company .

However I think some are being way to harsh when it comes to how they are handling the storms situation . They are posting everyday, on changes they have figured out and plan to keep doing so . Yeah I understand our vacations are important to us but people are losing their lives , have no homes and are suffering !!!!Let's just think about them and have compassion and we will get the vacations we deserve <3<3<3<3

Is RC helping with changed plane reservations cost? I would imagine last min. flights will be expensive and lose what spent on hotel and plane in PR.

Most of the airlines have waivers to change your flights without cost. I am a TA and we are getting inundated with waiver emails every day from all the major airlines. The waivers are all time sensitive so as airport statuses change, so do the waivers.

Ok folks please do not burn me at the stake for what I am about to say . First of ,yes I am loyal to RCL and have been for ten years , do they have things that can be improved , yeppers but on the whole they are a pretty good company .

However I think some are being way to harsh when it comes to how they are handling the storms situation . They are posting everyday, on changes they have figured out and plan to keep doing so . Yeah I understand our vacations are important to us but people are losing their lives , have no homes and are suffering !!!!Let's just think about them and have compassion and we will get the vacations we deserve <3<3<3<3

I think most of the posts I've seen are in line with your sentiment. IMHO, RCCL has improved considerably in communicating since Harvey. The itinerary shuffling is a moving target with Irma and Maria coming as they did. The current changes were made pre-Maria so now they have to shuffle again with options being more limited.

I fully believe we should be the least worry of PR and San Juan. I just don't get attempting to dump tourists onto the streets there when recovery and cleanup is happening. I've said it in other posts, but the logistics of just getting from the airport to the ship takes many taxis and shuttles. Can they even run these right now and have them in place? Makes no sense. I think the forcing of a 3-day altered cruise is the dumbest idea all in an attempt for RCL to keep money from people who choose not to take the change. I get it that you get a cruise credit, but really it should just be refunded. Why should your money be held hostage for their profit? Spare me the discourse on the terms too. Altered plans like this should not be included. The people on island have more to worry about than trying to pick up tourists to get them to the ships. Still think it will end up canceled. Still watching for our 30-Sept changes out of San Juan should it happen.

Primary recovery efforts have arrived via ships. Some where on island during the hurricane. Airport terminal is a mess, airport is open but mostly for recovery and military.

It takes time, there is a debate whether airlines are operating at the airport. Changes by hour. The ports are good. Hotels are starting to shut down. Patience is the key.

Did you mean hotels are starting to OPEN?

I fully believe we should be the least worry of PR and San Juan. I just don't get attempting to dump tourists onto the streets there when recovery and cleanup is happening. I've said it in other posts, but the logistics of just getting from the airport to the ship takes many taxis and shuttles. Can they even run these right now and have them in place? Makes no sense. I think the forcing of a 3-day altered cruise is the dumbest idea all in an attempt for RCL to keep money from people who choose not to take the change. I get it that you get a cruise credit, but really it should just be refunded. Why should your money be held hostage for their profit? Spare me the discourse on the terms too. Altered plans like this should not be included. The people on island have more to worry about than trying to pick up tourists to get them to the ships. Still think it will end up canceled. Still watching for our 30-Sept changes out of San Juan should it happen.

If you cruise a lot this doesn't seem too bad:

"We know these changes are disappointing, and we are truly sorry for the storm’s impact on your vacation. Should you choose to sail with us we will provide you with a refund of 60% of your cruise fare paid in the form of a refundable onboard credit, and an additional 50% future cruise credit, for a cruise booked within the next year."

But if this is your one and only it pretty much stinks.

Did you mean hotels are starting to OPEN?

No, hotels have been open. Some have been used as shelters, others by people stranded, some from the other islands.

When I mean shutting down is no fuel for generators, water food etc.

If Air Traffic Controllers can't make it in to work, near the airport. What makes anyone think that there will be a taxi to catch?

If Air Traffic Controllers can't make it in to work, near the airport. What makes anyone think that there will be a taxi to catch?

Jim Edds said he had to drive through knee deep water to get to airport. He said strong storm surge evident in airport area.

Please. Put your iPhone down. You can list all the ifs you want.

The truth is that RCCL is not going to put any customers in harm's way. They have done everything they can to help those of us who are on their ships now: free WiFi, a room with laptops and free phone service, paying any airline change fees, etc. They will do the same for the next group of passengers. They know a lot more about conditions than you. If you don't have a dog in the fight and are just fanning the flames that helps no one. If you have a cruise in the next week, wait for news from RCCL. Now I'm going for a 1/2 price drink.

The truth is that RCCL is not going to put any customers in harm's way. They have done everything they can to help those of us who are on their ships now: free WiFi, a room with laptops and free phone service, paying any airline change fees, etc. They will do the same for the next group of passengers. They know a lot more about conditions than you. If you don't have a dog in the fight and are just fanning the flames that helps no one. If you have a cruise in the next week, wait for news from RCCL. Now I'm going for a 1/2 price drink.

Well said. Thank you for posting those thoughts.

If you cruise a lot this doesn't seem too bad:

"We know these changes are disappointing, and we are truly sorry for the storm’s impact on your vacation. Should you choose to sail with us we will provide you with a refund of 60% of your cruise fare paid in the form of a refundable onboard credit, and an additional 50% future cruise credit, for a cruise booked within the next year."

But if this is your one and only it pretty much stinks.

I agree....I see it as 3 days plus 60% of my money back and then 50% toward my next sailing 110% refund :) But I agree...If this is your one any only the 50% doesn't mean much.

What he said:D

What he said:D

You know what, I apologize for trying to give you information.

I have more than a dog in the fight, I have people on the island that I would do anything for. You want me to put my I phone down sure no problem.

My BF last message from her was I am bailing water out my house. That was over 48 hours ago.

I have seen videos from ex co-workers attempting to arrive to work.

I don't post what I don't know!

So your right, I will put my IPhone down. I won't share any more information.

So you can all go where the sun won't shine, enjoy your 1/2 price drinks etc, hopefully I won't run into any of you on any of my cruises.