Harder to Re Route a 14 Day Cruise!?

caddykid12

Going to SJ. St thomas. St maarten. Tortola. Dominica. Antigua. Barbados and St Lucia in jan

will they switch this to a western? In full or will ncl try to keep the same itinerary and go to all scheduled ports that were not hit and only replace the ones that were hit

final paymemt is in 2 weeks and really rather not do a 14 day western if 5 of the 8 eastern ports can still be called at

its titled a southern so would aruba or curacao be a replacement? Or st kitts and croix are the current replacements

Going to SJ. St thomas. St maarten. Tortola. Dominica. Antigua. Barbados and St Lucia in jan

will they switch this to a western? In full or will ncl try to keep the same itinerary and go to all scheduled ports that were not hit and only replace the ones that were hit

final paymemt is in 2 weeks and really rather not do a 14 day western if 5 of the 8 eastern ports can still be called at

its titled a southern so would aruba or curacao be a replacement? Or st kitts and croix are the current replacements

Lots of CC members in the same situation.

I would also love to hit one of the ABC's but it would mean dropping the damaged ports and adding a few extra days at sea, FINE WITH ME.. LOL

There are other Islands like St. Kitts, Guadeloupe and Martinique that would fit in nicely.

Royal and Celebrity are already switching to those ports on a few of their itineraries.

Only time and NCL will tell.

In any case we will be somewhere in the Caribbean in February.

bosco

We are in the same boat with our 2/2/18 14 day cruise. And my poor sister broke her foot 4 weeks ago and we went to the beach for 3 of those weeks and she couldn't walk or get in water so is really looking forward to southern cruise. I hope for ABC's as ports but not Martinique. Really didn't care for that stop. Fingers crossed but it's out of our control and I feel so sorry for the people in the damaged islands, especially those dependent on tourists for their livelihood.

I think that any answers you would get from the fine folks here would just be guesses at this point when discussing a January cruise.

I know that's not helpful but I hope it works out for you (and everyone else).

Yep. WAGs

If it is a true 14 day cruise (not 2 7 day cruises), I would think it would be easier to re-route positively. They have more days to get the ship further away from the starting port. Part of the problem with 7 day cruises is they can only spend so much time at sea getting from one place to another and then back home.

I would guess that they will try to make as many of the scheduled ports as possible, and then substitute other nearby ports if possible, for the ones missed, or simply add an extra sea day or two...

Since so many cruises will be affected, it makes it a real scramble to find a berth or anchorage at a substitute...

Someone posted in the 2/2/18 Breakaway roll call that his travel agent said Norwegian was going to make an announcement about the changed ports for our sailing this week. We shall see, but Hurricane Maria looks like it may hit some of the other islands as well.

I think the 10 day NCL Gem out of New York is probably the hardest to reschedule. Not enough days to go to Western Caribbean or Southern Caribbean and most of our Eastern Caribbean itinerary has been destroyed.

We did a round trip a while back from the New York area and it included a day in Bermuda (might be a different visit with temperatures averaging around 70) then on to SanJuan.

St. Croix and St. Kitts might also be included. The 10 days is a tough one to do alright?

A lot depends on Maria as well.

bosco

Edited by boscobeans

Bermuda would be pretty cold in November. They could revise a bit and hit a couple southern ports instead. I believe that St. Kitts escaped damage, as well as Dominica. I'm not sure if there would be time get as far south as St. Lucia or Barbados. They could do a stop in Fort Lauderdale or Miami on the way too. Not an ideal itinerary, but it could be an interesting one. It would require some speed too.

My wife and I are on the 2/2/18 (14) Day BA Eastern sailing. Our final payment is the end of October. If NCL doesn't have a back up plan in place or if that plan is going Western we are out.

Yep. WAGs

If it is a true 14 day cruise (not 2 7 day cruises), I would think it would be easier to re-route positively. They have more days to get the ship further away from the starting port. Part of the problem with 7 day cruises is they can only spend so much time at sea getting from one place to another and then back home.

I would also say it is easier to reroute a 14 day cruise.

A few years ago I was on a cruise to Egypt and it was reroute as an Istanbul cruise. Quite a difference. The Caribbean is a lot easier for them to work with than some other parts of the world.

My wife and I are on the 2/2/18 (14) Day BA Eastern sailing. Our final payment is the end of October. If NCL doesn't have a back up plan in place or if that plan is going Western we are out.

Looks like Maria is taking a very similar course as Irma.

I would think any plans they come up with as far as itineraries will not be for a bit more.

I am still remaining optimistic that the cruise will remain in the Southern Caribbean, but with less ports and a few more days at sea, which since we have been to the Caribbean more than 20 times is no real problem.

https://www.wunderground.com/hurricane/atlantic/2017/tropical-storm-maria

bosco

You can pretty much be assured that you are not going to St. Thomas, St. Maarten, or Tortola. Reports out of those islands get worse by the day. They are not expected to receive ships for at least a year. There is another major hurricane bearing down on the same area today. Dominica, and Antigua maybe hit next.

Having said all of that 14 day cruises are easier to reroute than 7 day cruises because the ships have more time and can travel farther. I can see your cruise becoming a combo cruise with some eastern, some southern and some western ports included.

In addition to St. Kitts and St. Croix you can get to the Caymans, the ABC islands, the Jamaican ports, possibly some port sin South America.

I think you have lots of options and might enjoy the rerouted cruise more than the original.

What is a typical refund on a cruise that may get less ports of call than scheduled? What if my sailing does not go to all 8?

The only refund is for port fees that were not incurred. No reduction in the cruise price.

We are on a 9 day our of Boston in November. 3 out of the 5 port stops are closed, at least for the time being and with Maria on its heals who knows if the others will be open for us or not. We are all just taking a wait and see. Made it into a Mystery Island Cruise.

We are past final payment date, so no refunds (I wouldnt cancel anyway). Missed ports will receive their port fees and taxes back but that is it. If you are before final payment date and do not want to take a chance, then now is the time to cancel. January and February are a ways off and many of these affected ports will be open for business yet some will still remain closed. It is anyones guess as to what will happen at this point.

This just occurred to me while reading this thread, so it is complete speculation, but I wonder if NCL has an obligation to give any refund for those of us who bought during a "taxes and fees paid by N C L" promo?

Sent from my Nexus 5X using Forums mobile app

No they don't because you didn't pay anything that is refundable.

We are on a 9 day our of Boston in November. 3 out of the 5 port stops are closed, at least for the time being and with Maria on its heals who knows if the others will be open for us or not. We are all just taking a wait and see. Made it into a Mystery Island Cruise.

We are past final payment date, so no refunds (I wouldnt cancel anyway). Missed ports will receive their port fees and taxes back but that is it. If you are before final payment date and do not want to take a chance, then now is the time to cancel. January and February are a ways off and many of these affected ports will be open for business yet some will still remain closed. It is anyones guess as to what will happen at this point.

You can be sure that the affected ports are NOT going to be open by January or February. I don't think people realize the gravity of the situation. It is going to take months to even get the power restored so that they can think about beginning to rebuild. St. Thomas, St. Maarten, and Tortola do not expect to be ready for cruise ships for at least a year.

I think the 10 day NCL Gem out of New York is probably the hardest to reschedule. Not enough days to go to Western Caribbean or Southern Caribbean and most of our Eastern Caribbean itinerary has been destroyed.

I totally agree, i'm thinking they will send us to canada, i hope i'm wrong but so many of these islands have been devastated and the west caribbean is to far away. Its still a cruise wherever we go