Around the World on Amtrak, KLM, and HAL

rafinmd

Roy,

I loved your line -It was warm enough this morning to walk with just a t-shirt.- I hope you wearing more than that. :D :evilsmile:

I always have trouble walking laps on deck because of my balance problem, but I applaud anyone who can and does to get exercise.

Carole

I left Cooper’s talk early to get to afternoon tea, which is a little different from Crystal and Cunard. Rather than the waiters circulating with trays of various goodies, as we are seated we get a little individual rack of treats.

I wonder if there is a different Hotel Manager since I left the Prinsendam in July, and if this one does tea differently. When I was aboard this summer, the treats were brought to me and served.

I do prefer it done that way, too. Much easier to get settled in a seat without a plate to deal with, too.

Happy you found your camera. Bet as soon as you spotted it you remembered exactly how it happened to be there, too! That's always the way.

Happy you found your camera. Bet as soon as you spotted it you remembered exactly how it happened to be there, too! That's always the way.

Ruth,

Sounds like you had some of that experience. I have and sometimes I can go backward through my day and remember which rooms I visited or what I did - and then I find something. But usually it's frustration until I find it and then remember exactly how it got there, like you mentioned.

Carole

I wonder if there is a different Hotel Manager since I left the Prinsendam in July, and if this one does tea differently. When I was aboard this summer, the treats were brought to me and served.

I do prefer it done that way, too. Much easier to get settled in a seat without a plate to deal with too.

When I was on the Konigsdam in 2016, most of the time the teas were done with the three tiered trays. A few times trays of small sandwiches and scones were brought around, and the items were served to us.

Thanks for all of your postings, Roy. I've been following along - brings back lovely memories of the ports that I've visited.

Edited by luvcruisn'

Hi Roy,

Thank you for all your posts during your time on the Amsterdam and to a lady that gave your link to follow you..

This is actually the first time I'm posting but I wanted to know more about the Amsterdam as I'm scheduled to do the 2019 World Cruise but have heard that the ship is on very poor condition, specially the a/c and plumbing. However, my TA told me that it was scheduled for some repairs and updates, including carpet and later next year for extensive dry dock. I see you confirm that part.

My husband and I did the 66 day South America-Antartica cruise in 2011 and we loved it as well as the smaller ship was just perfect for us.

Thank you for sharing your amazing experiences and photos. Tomorrow I will catch up with your embarking the Prinsendam till your Florida return.

The Amsterdam is scheduled for extensive dry dock at the conclusion of the 2018 World Cruise in May. We will be on her in September for the Grand Asia and am looking forward to being on a freshly rehab'd ship. Hopefully.

Day P11, Sunday, November 12, 2015, At Sea, MS Prinsendam

The Oosterdam is at sea from Ft. Lauderdale to Amber Cove. The Amsterdam is in Benoa, Bali.

Captain Dag’s comments about the weather appear to have been a bit on the conservative side. After a quiet night conditions were favorable for my morning walk. Even with the hour we gained overnight sunrise was late enough that I did 2/3 of my walk early and completed it towards sunrise. The sun was delayed by clouds on the horizon but as I rounded the stern on one lap came into view quite vividly.

https://solocabinchallenge.files.wordpress.com/2017/11/dawn1112.jpg

This was the day I had committed to take the lead in the Interdenominational worship. When I was 20 years younger I was part of a mission at my church where high school students traveled to Appalachia to do repairs to poor people’s homes. Our “evening gatherings” frequently featured stories from a book written by the project founder, “Life is Like That”, and one of the hymns I learned there was very moving to me and has been whole heartedly accepted by my congregation. I had found a copy of the book, and the hymn “Here I am Lord” and a story from the book in lieu of the sermon were both quite well accepted. I was surprised when one of the congregants introduced himself as the chaplain who would be on the Amazon Cruise. My understand was that there were only chaplains present for major holidays and grand voyages, so I was very pleased to hear that voyage had a chaplain.

https://solocabinchallenge.files.wordpress.com/2017/11/stuyvestant.jpg

There were 2 guest speaker presentations, both in the morning. Dr. Adrian Cooper spoke at 10 on life deep below the ocean. I passed on that one. At 11 Tom Anderson (retired Navy Captain) spoke on his views of the changes in communication patterns; he thinks in the future the most important communications will gradually change to relations between mega-cities, rather than countries.

At noon talk of unfavorable weather had completely disappeared from Captain Dag’s thoughts. He mentioned we were crossing the mid-Atlantic Ridge and it really looked like we were centered on it on the TV display at 4:30. Captain also announced we would gain another hour overnight, moving just 2 hours later than East Coast time. The weather for the day was pretty much picture perfect.

There were 2 major Sunday afternoon activities in the Showroom. At 2 a “Virtual bridge tour” was presented by Second Officer and Navigator Abby, followed by about 15 minutes of questions and answers. Abby is currently the only female bridge officer on board but 2 others just went on vacation so the field is gradually opening up. She does hope to go on to get her Masters License; that requires 2 more years at sea and additional formal education.

https://solocabinchallenge.files.wordpress.com/2017/11/abby.jpg

That was followed at 3 by the Filipino Crew Show. I’m not sure if this is a sign of changing times but while these shows are usually all amateurs this time we had the Ocean Quartet performing as a group; perhaps the roles open to Filipinos are widening. The other performers all had diverse jobs on the ship but poured their hearts into sharing their traditions, love of country, and culture. The actual acts were pretty standard, the castanet and, candle, and bamboo dances as well as songs, beginning with the Philippine National Anthem and ending with “My Country.

https://solocabinchallenge.files.wordpress.com/2017/11/filipino.jpg

One of the dancers in the bamboo dance took one turn doing the dance blindfolded and another while reading a newspaper.

https://solocabinchallenge.files.wordpress.com/2017/11/tinikling2.jpg

Everyone at table 153 enjoyed the great weather today. I opted for the melon soup, lasagna, and peach Sunday, all very enjoyable.

https://solocabinchallenge.files.wordpress.com/2017/11/dishes12.jpg

The featured entertainment was juggler Luke Burrage, who has also been on my previous 2 Prinsendam cruises. He finds some of his juggling tricks a bit challenging on Prinsendam’s single level stage. After the show I spent a little time at the Explorers Lounge where Adagio plays classical music.

https://solocabinchallenge.files.wordpress.com/2017/11/burrage.jpg

I had planned a parting shot but it was pre-empted for the message at the end of the Filipino Crew show which is related at the close each time they do the show as they introduce their final song, “My Country”. In 1985 the then Philippine dictatorship was overthrown by a peaceful revolution not accompanied by a single shot. Properly used, the powers of prayer, unity, and love can overwhelm the powers of fear, hatred, and oppression.

https://solocabinchallenge.files.wordpress.com/2017/11/mycountry.jpg

Roy

The Amsterdam is scheduled for extensive dry dock at the conclusion of the 2018 World Cruise in May. We will be on her in September for the Grand Asia and am looking forward to being on a freshly rehab'd ship. Hopefully

Thank you Tampa Girl for the information on the Amsterdam's rehab! I will continue to follow all the blogs.

So very much enjoy reading Roy's posts.

A couple of clarifications on the Crystal World Cruise. I would not be duplicating here what I would post on the Crystal forum; it would be mostly things like how life differs on a Crystal ship from what we expect on HAL, things like what they offer in lieu of stateroom direct, what things are similar to what we have on HAL ships but a bit different like afternoon, and other things mostly that I think would be interesting here but not so much to veteran Crystal cruisers. I also hope to compare notes with whatever I hear on the HAL World Cruise blogs.

BTW, DeeniEncinitas, would you email me at rafinmdcc-info AT yahoo DOT com.

Sea42, I don’t remember Deborah talking much about itineraries that are not already published, so I don’t think I can help much there.

Crystal2019, the Amsterdam has had some persistent plumbing issues going back to at least the 2014 World Cruise. Probably a relatively small number of people affected overall but still persistent. She went into wet dock the week between the end of the Alaska season and the start of the Grand Asia and I was stunned at the video about how much of the piping was replaced so quickly. The plumbing issues were not at all evident last month so that should not be a concern. I didn’t hear about any unusual air conditioning issues either.

Perfect match, I hope you had a grand time on the Koningsdam. She’s certainly an adjustment from the ships most of obviously love but I enjoyed my time on her very much.

RuthC, our current Hotel Manager is Cees Tessellar. I also wonder if, as luvcruisn' suggested it may be done differently on some days.

Bennybear, no worry about the blog cost. Internet is now free (well, included) on Crystal. One of the things I will talk about on my thread here is “Do you need to win the Irish sweepstakes to do a Crystal World Cruise?” Hint, I haven’t.

Thank you everyone for the comments generally and the camera especially. I knew I changed from shorts to long pants in the bathroom (people shouldn’t have been able to see in the window but I wanted to be sure), and I looked several times on the counter with that in mind, but it never occurred to me that I’d have put it on the top shelf.

I think that’s all the comments covered for now. I do appreciate them all. Let me know if I’ve missed anything.

PS: Another lovely day

Roy

thanks Roy - for your clarification on what the thread would be. Actually that was exactly what I was hoping for ;)

On another report from the Rotterdam, CruizerBill announced that the Rotterdam's self service laundries were gone with their drydock and this will be fleet wide.

Somehow, I can't envision the P'dam abandoning their laundries. Are they still operational on board?

Jacqui, they are still operational and in fact it looks like new machines since 2015.

This is the first ever cruise where I've had a choice of free self service or free professional and I haven't actually used the laundries yet but might for some last minute things before leaving the ship.

Roy

Hi Roy..I have been following your journey on the solocabinchallenge blog. Will you be posting the Crystal world cruise on there? I have really enjoyed reading about it and look for your posting every day. Thanks for sharing!

Sent from my iPad using Forums

It will not be there but will post a link to the new blog when the time comes.

Roy

Hi Roy, I have been enjoying your voyages and your description of life on and off the ship. Thank you so much. I have followed a couple Crystal World Cruise blogs. Onboard life seemed wonderful and interesting but possibly a bit formal. Thank you for offering to post your upcoming world cruise.

I have one question...you have traveled extensively and I wonder if you try to have a basic knowledge of languages in countries you visit?

Thank you again for "entertaining" us with your adventures. Cherie

Jacqui, they are still operational and in fact it looks like new machines since 2015.

This is the first ever cruise where I've had a choice of free self service or free professional and I haven't actually used the laundries yet but might for some last minute things before leaving the ship.

Roy

Thanks muchly Roy.

I was wondering as when we were on the Rotterdam they told me that the Cellar Master dinner and Master Chef Dinner (aka chef Rudi dinner) were cancelled fleet wide and meanwhile after I post, I got notice it was still on the EE ;)

Glad to hear it and appreciate you taking the time to answer.

Enjoy your time on board. :). Thanks again:D

Bennybear, we're in Half Moon Cay Friday. Just 1 day away.

Day P12, Monday, November 13, 2017, At sea, MS Prinsendam

The Oosterdam is at Amber Cove, Dominican Republic. The Amsterdam is at Komodo Island.

Sunrise and sunset are getting earlier as we gain hours overnight and I walked virtually my whole 5 miles right at the beginning of the day. It was pretty cloudy but colors started to be visible very early and the actual sunrise was a bit anticlimactic compared to the bright skies both before and after the actual moment of sunrise. Sunrise was at 6:29; the photos in the collage were taken at 5:45, 6:15. 6:30, and 6:40.

https://solocabinchallenge.files.wordpress.com/2017/11/dawn1113.jpg

After the informal 9AM bible study the official program kicked off at 10 with a Captain’s Q&A with Hotel Director Cees Tesselaar, Captain Dag, and Chief Engineer Rolf De Groot. Cees clarified one thing I had wondered about; when we were delayed at Cadiz the delivery that had arrived just as we were preparing to leave was soap that had not arrived with our supplies in Rome. If that soap had not arrived when it did, I suspect we would have been gone when the late passengers showed up.

https://solocabinchallenge.files.wordpress.com/2017/11/capncorner.jpg

On a question about problems at ports Captain Dag mentioned a time when the ship’s doctor had been arrested. A passenger ship cannot sail without a doctor; a call was put out to the passengers on board and one qualified person got an on the spot promotion from passenger to ship’s doctor.

I was surprised when the Chief Engineer disclosed that Prinsendam has 2 separate engine systems, all the main engines do is drive the ship, completely separate from the auxiliary engines that provide electricity, air conditioning, and other vital services.

They were followed at 11 by Chris Mason on “Sailing to a New Life”, a look at the use of ships for post-war migrations of people by ship in the 1950's. By that time the worst of the misery in steerage was past but many of the conditions people faced were still pretty primitive.

My afternoon program was a presentation at 2 by Tom Anderson on “The Box that Changed the World”. His information on how containerized shipping works was not particularly surprising but he spent about half his talk on uses of retired boxes with an amazing array of homes, hospitals, and many other outcomes I would never have suspected.

For the first time in several days we had a sunset before dinner. Just as the time came to head off to the dining room I detoured through my “porch” just as the sun was setting ahead of us.

https://solocabinchallenge.files.wordpress.com/2017/11/dusk1113.jpg

We were all present again at table 153 for dinner. It was pasta again for me as I chose the melon bisque, spaghetti, and peach crisp. The prime rib that others had looked great but the portions looked huge and I would never have finished it.

https://solocabinchallenge.files.wordpress.com/2017/11/dishes13.jpg

The featured entertainment was the Prinsendam Singers and Dancers in “Dance”. By evening the ship was starting to exhibit a bit of motion and I wondered if it would happen but the dancers handled some very acrobatic moves with ease. We gained another hour overnight to be the same time as Atlantic Canada. Up in the Crows Nest after the show Lee was doing mostly songs from The Sound of Music.

As a parting shot the first ship in my current trip had a rough day on her last visit to Fort Lauderdale. A patrol boat from the Broward Sheriff’s Office malfunctioned and struck the docked Oosterdam. I haven’t seen a lot of details but my understanding is it happened about the same time people would have been on deck for muster and I understand some Deputies sustained injuries although not life threatening. Here’s a wish for a speedy recovery for the Deputies and a hope no Oosterdam passengers were overly traumatized.

Roy

Thank you bennybear, Crystal2019, and Krazy Kruizers.

Day P13, Tuesday, November 14, 2017, At sea, MS Prinsendam

The Oosterdam was scheduled for San Juan but went to Samana, Dominican Republic du to hurricane damage in Puerto Rico. The Amsterdam is at sea from Komodo to Darwin.

After 3 straight nights of moving our clocks back there was just a little touch of light in the sky when I went up for coffee at 5:15, and a little sliver of moon was shining brightly overhead. There had been some motion on the ship overnight and I thought I might have to cut back on my walk but conditions turned out fine. The sun came up about 2/3 of the way through my walk. The last couple of mornings Captain Dag has been out walking also. The shots in the collage were taken starting at 5:15 through 6:05.

https://solocabinchallenge.files.wordpress.com/2017/11/dawn1114.jpg

The 9AM bible study group in the Crows Nest has about 8 people. At the end of today’s program When we broke up I showed a little bit of the Northwest Passage video.

The showroom was reserved this morning for the Mariner Awards Ceremony. According to Linda, there are 710 passengers on the crossing with 650 mariners with brunch for half today and half tomorrow. At the ceremony medallions were given out, 32 bronze (100 days), 5 silver (300) and 2 gold (500).

https://solocabinchallenge.files.wordpress.com/2017/11/mariner.jpg

After the ceremony we adjourned to the dining room for brunch. The choices were not really my favorites but it was a nice event. I did enjoy the pork medallions.

https://solocabinchallenge.files.wordpress.com/2017/11/brunch.jpg

We had 2 afternoon programs in the Showroom. Chris Mason started things off at 2 with a talk on the 50's, perhaps 50% on ships of the period and the other 50% pop culture of the era in general. He was followed at 3 by Dr. Adrian Cooper with a talk on Coral reefs. The weather took a somewhat negative turn with rain much of the afternoon. Sunset was about 5PM; I completely forgot about it but doubt there would have been much to see.

We were all present at table 153. A variety of entrees were selected, the veal for me along with the apple salad and blackberry crisp.

https://solocabinchallenge.files.wordpress.com/2017/11/dishes14.jpg

The featured entertainment was Naki Ataman with a new show, “Somewhere in Time”, a tribute to the music of the 20th Century. After the show Lee was doing music on Nat King Cole in the Crows Nest.

My parting shot will be a followup to a few days ago and comes from my Fire Department email. After the recent change of clocks all home fire detectors should have a reliable power supply (Hard wired or battery) and it did make a difference at least once recently in my area. According to the email:

“Upon arrival crews found a single-family dwelling manufactured home with fire showing out the front door. The fire was knocked within minutes of arrival.

All occupants were safe and out of dwelling before HCDFRS arrival.

It was later determined all occupants successfully evacuated due to a working smoke alarm that alerted a 12-year-old child inside the residence of the fire. The child then, promptly, evacuated all remaining residents of the home and called 911 once all were outside.

No firefighter injuries were reported at the scene.”

Kudos as well to the 12-year old. Photo courtesy of Howard County (MD) Fire and Rescue.

https://solocabinchallenge.files.wordpress.com/2017/11/allweresafe.jpg

Roy