Around the World on Amtrak, KLM, and HAL

rafinmd

I’m aTh

I am so enjoying your travel blog. Since I have just now happened upon your story I don’t know your back story. How many cruises have you actually taken, or have you lost count? It all sounds amazing. And thank you for sharing your adventures.

Sent from my iPhone using Forums

Thank you. I’m an out of control cruiser. I would have difficulty giving you an exact figure, in part due to the question of how cruises count, and also what counts as a cruise, traditional, freighter, river, small ship, ferry are some of the possibilities.. By the various cruise lines different means of counting I’m a little over 100. Some of the main ones:

Crystal - 32

HAL - 18

Cunard - 15

Royal Caribbean - 11

Blount Small Ship Adventures 16

What I do have a count of is my ocean crossings. The Amsterdam was my 4th full trans-Pacific and the Prinsendam is my 26th Transatlantic (everything from freighter to Wind Star to Allure OTS.

Roy

Day P9, Friday, November 10, 2017, At sea, MS Prinsendam

The Oosterdam is at Half Moon Cay, Bahamas. The Amsterdam is at Semarang, Indonesia.

Since soon after leaving Funchal the TV has steadily shown “Sea State” of 5. The motion Thursday evening was quite evident but seemed to be significantly subdued in the morning and I’m guessing that once we got a little distance between us and Madeira we were able to take a course where the saves hit us at a more favorable angle. I had been concerned about being able this morning but the winds that were so strong in Funchal are coming from behind us and there is only a gentle breeze on deck. It was quite an easy 5 miles. The TV had also said “Few clouds” but when I went to the Seaview pool around sunrise there was nothing but clouds and I never saw the sun until almost noon.

https://solocabinchallenge.files.wordpress.com/2017/11/nosun10.jpg

It turned into a very busy day with a lot of time spent in the Showroom. After 9AM Bible study we had a talk by Chris Mason on the Great Ocean Liners at 10 and a Future Cruise presentation by Debra at 11. There was not a lot new there but her mention of exotic cruises planned for the Maasdam and Veendam in 2019 gave me hope for more life for those ships.

In his noon update Captain Dag placed us 370 miles south of Ponta Delgada with another 2700 miles to Half Moon Cay. While it was cool enough to wear a fleece in the morning I found it a bit on the warm side for that as I enjoyed a pizza on the pool deck.

There were afternoon presentations at 2 and 3. At 2 Dr. Adrian Cooper spoke on “How Oceans Work”, followed by Tom Anderson on “Geopolitics of the Maritime Environment”. While I was busy today I was not very busy with the camera. One of the venues I have not mentioned yet is the Ocean Bar.

https://solocabinchallenge.files.wordpress.com/2017/11/oceanbar.jpg

There were 2 late comers at table 153. In addition to the usual one, there was a Shabbat Service that ran somewhat overtime. The most popular of the choices was the English Roast Beef while I went for the striploin steak and passed on the Peach Crisp in favor of the Carrot Cake.

https://solocabinchallenge.files.wordpress.com/2017/11/dishes10.jpg

The featured entertainment was a rock tribute band, Rave-Ons playing a tribute to Buddy Holly. This is one show I “heard” a second time in my room. After the show I paid a visit to the Crows Nest where Lee was having a request night.

https://solocabinchallenge.files.wordpress.com/2017/11/rave-ons.jpg

My parting shot recognizes that it will be Saturday morning before this gets posted. Thank you to the veterans of all countries.

Roy

A question for the HAL forum–

Many of you know my next trip will be the Crystal World cruise. Of course I will be setting up a thread for that on the Crystal forum but was wondering how people would feel if I set up a thread on the HAL forum for things I think would be of interest. I expect to be in port at least a few times with HAL ships, would comment on parts of the culture I think would be interesting, and answer any questions people have. Does this sound like a worthwhile idea. Yes or no?

Roy

Many of you know my next trip will be the Crystal World cruise. Of course I will be setting up a thread for that on the Crystal forum but was wondering how people would feel if I set up a thread on the HAL forum for things I think would be of interest. I expect to be in port at least a few times with HAL ships, would comment on parts of the culture I think would be interesting, and answer any questions people have. Does this sound like a worthwhile idea. Yes or no?

Roy

I will follow you wherever you post, but will usually only comment in one - usually your Maryland thread if a 'mixed' itinerary - so I get the whole trip.

This one was unusual [for me] as it was the only one with all HAL ships.

Roy

I say yes :). It would be great IMO :)

Wow. That’s a lot of experience! Was Madeira as beautiful as I’ve heard?

Loved the pictures of the Shackleton. Would love to do the north west passage. I think this year was the first.

Not Roy, but Madeira is gorgeous - especially if you explore some of the island and not just stay in the pretty town.

Roy

🤗ABSOLUTELY ROY!!!

I need my fix on a daily basis

now. I am so conditioned to read every morning here.

Coffee and your blog!👍👍👍👍👍👍👍👍👍👍

Denise:)

Roy

Absolutely, yes. It's not just the ship you report on that is of interest. It's the ports, getting around, and things to see. That will be similar regardless of what ship we take to visit the same ports.

Hi Roy!

I am enjoying following your adventures as I have in the past. Thank you for taking the time to share your journey with us!

Was there any mention at the future cruise presentation of a repeat of the Kon Tiki sailing in 2019? In 2018 the Maasdam will be leaving from Fort Lauderdale traveling through the Panama Canal, down the South American coast and then on to Easter Island and beyond. We're hoping that trip will be repeated in 2019!

Thanks for any Information you can share.

Hi Roy,

Thank you for all your posts during your time on the Amsterdam and to a lady that gave your link to follow you..

This is actually the first time I'm posting but I wanted to know more about the Amsterdam as I'm scheduled to do the 2019 World Cruise but have heard that the ship is on very poor condition, specially the a/c and plumbing. However, my TA told me that it was scheduled for some repairs and updates, including carpet and later next year for extensive dry dock. I see you confirm that part.

My husband and I did the 66 day South America-Antartica cruise in 2011 and we loved it as well as the smaller ship was just perfect for us.

Thank you for sharing your amazing experiences and photos. Tomorrow I will catch up with your embarking the Prinsendam till your Florida return.

Day P10, Saturday, November 11, 2017, At sea, MS Prinsendam

The Oosterdam is in Ft. Lauderdale, FL. The Amsterdam is at sea from Semarang to Bali

The moon is waning but was shining brightly overhead when I first went on deck about 5:15. Sunrise has been getting later as we sail west and I suspended my walk after 3 ½ miles, returning for the last 6 laps around sunrise. As often happens there were clouds on the horizon and there was nothing direct of the sun when I first went out but over the next couple of laps it got steadily stronger until it came into the clear. It was warm enough this morning to walk with just a t-shirt.

https://solocabinchallenge.files.wordpress.com/2017/11/dawn1111.jpg

With pretty much the same activities each day I haven’t been using my camera a lot and snapped a few pictures of the gym. On the Prinsendam it’s aft, about deck 9 ½ (several steps up from deck 9), above the dining room and below the Canaletto. Exterior stairs run from the lower promenade deck. There’s one main room (top views) with mats and weights in an alcove to one side, and the exercise bikes look out over the aft.

https://solocabinchallenge.files.wordpress.com/2017/11/gym.jpg

The morning activities were 9AM bible study, a talk by Tom Anderson at 10 on Globalization, and a Veterans Day memorial service at 11 with readings by Captain Dag, Linda Minnikin, the priest, and chaplain.

In his midday update Captain Dag indicated that the great weather may be ending. So far we’ve had a few showers and it’s turned a bit chilly but the seas are still smooth as of 10PM.

There were 2 afternoon talks; Chris Mason at 2 on the transition of ocean travel from the practical to the recreational side, and Adrian Cooper at 3 on oceanography. I left Cooper’s talk early to get to afternoon tea, which is a little different from Crystal and Cunard. Rather than the waiters circulating with trays of various goodies, as we are seated we get a little individual rack of treats.

https://solocabinchallenge.files.wordpress.com/2017/11/teatime.jpg

I had a little camera mishap. I could not find the camera I use most when going out after lunch. I searched high and low for the camera, finally reporting it lost to the front desk. It’s getting old and not a great loss except for the morning photos that hadn’t been saved to my computer. Finally, when I was taking my evening meds I saw it sitting right in plain sight on the top shelf in the bathroom. I had searched the vanity counter several times but never looked up.

https://solocabinchallenge.files.wordpress.com/2017/11/notlost.jpg

We had the usual 6 at table 153, where I had the cherry soup, oven roasted chicken, and the apple pie sundae.

https://solocabinchallenge.files.wordpress.com/2017/11/dishes11.jpg

The featured entertainment was the Prinsendam Singers and Dancers in Stage and Screen. It was a very nice show but also one where I could hear the 10PM performance in my room. After the show I spent a bit of time in the Crows Nest where Lee had an open mike. Most of the singers but not all were pretty good, kind of a live karaoke. We gain another hour overnight, bringing us to 3 hours away from East Coast time.

My cabin photos have been posted to the site I cannot mention on Cruise Critic. You should be able to find it if you google “HAL Cabin Photos”.

I’ll take my parting shot from dinner. One of our members, who I believe is over 90, mentioned that he had walked 5 laps today (1 1/4 miles), and was feeling pretty good about it until he saw someone with a cane walking as well. If we are doing out best that should be good enough and there will always be people who do more or better than we do; our best should always be good enough.

Roy

Thank you everyone,and I'm still catching up on responses.

RuthC, thank you for clarifying the “ee”. Bennybear, my picture links are to my wordpress blog, which organizes photos into a folder for each month’s activity. I knew I had posted a similar collage of the Amsterdam’s promenade deck and named it “prominade”. I was pretty sure that was in the October folder rather than the November folder, but just to be sure I was properly distinguishing the two photos I added the “ee” to the name.

Tiogacruiser and Denise, I was at McDonalds for quite a while, and I’m pretty sure if I had left it on the counter the cashier would have seen it and returned it to me before I left. Unfortunately, I’ve lost one other wallet way back in 2003 in St. Petersberg. That time there was a credit card in the wallet.

Bennybear, Madeira was really beautiful, and also very pedestrian friendly. There were 2 Northwest Passage cruises, 2016 and 2017. Crystal has said they will not do it again with a large ship, they are planning on adding a large expedition yacht to their fleet which would do any future NWP voyages.

Krazy Kruizers, there are actually 7 sea days between Funchal and Half Moon Cay (now 5 to go). With this and 10 straight on the Amsterdam, it’s a good thing I like sea days.

Roy

Roy

Definitely!!