Gratuities

Ginny10

Because they can.

Welcome to the Internet.

because people here have forgotten that this is suppose to be a helpful group and have become a lynch mob. way too many holier than thous cruisers who have forgotten what it is like to be new to it. Maybe they should stop cruising and start their own bolg on how not to be helpful on a cruise:rolleyes::rolleyes:

because people here have forgotten that this is suppose to be a helpful group and have become a lynch mob. way too many holier than thous cruisers who have forgotten what it is like to be new to it. Maybe they should stop cruising and start their own bolg on how not to be helpful on a cruise:rolleyes::rolleyes:

I really don't think the majority of the "flames" have been directed at the OP. I understood her question, and think I gave her a helpful answer. The majority of the posts are directed at the trolls who boast about how they never tip and encourage others to do the same.

I'm thinking she would like to tip the individuals personally that she interacts with on a daily basis during her holiday but as she's already said doesn't want the people who also works hard to not receive any tip. And that comment is exactly what made me think twice about asking a question, shame really that these forums are here for this but people are made to feel they can't ask questions in fear of negative people commenting

This is a personal decision....do what you feel is best.

If you want to look at it like that, then every cruise line, restaurant and bar are "stiffing their employees and customers." Tipping exists. That's the way it is. When you choose not to "play along," you are well aware that you do so at the expense of hard working people. The cruise lines could choose to include it in the fare, but that wouldn't change their profit margin. It would just ensure that the employees don't get stiffed.

Where I come from tipping is VERY VERY rare.....but that is not the point.

Tipping is optional and I do not think it is right to tell people they have to tip!

Again the cruiseline and its employees choose to gamble on the tips because most people overtip - else they would instantly change the system!

Advocating to tip is fine.....but calling people that do not want to be part of this game they are immoral is totally out of line.....

Again the tipping system is set up the way it is because even if some remove their tips.....everybody is still making more money than without the system!

The guilt trip works nicely - as it is designed to stiff most passengers !:halo:

Edited by Thorben-Hendrik

I really don't think the majority of the "flames" have been directed at the OP. I understood her question, and think I gave her a helpful answer. The majority of the posts are directed at the trolls who boast about how they never tip and encourage others to do the same.

yes you did give a helpful answer but I saw lots of this going on too what does tipping have to do with whether you can afford a cruise? once it is paid for tipping is strictly a choice, and has NOTHING to do with affording a cruise.

I do not care how people rationalize removing the auto tip and then try and say they want to pay those who they want to give extra think they are fooling anyone! Why cant they be honest and just say...I am a tightwad and I intend to stiff the people that worked hard to make my cruise wonderful?. When they go to the purser and have the autotips removed they are done. Do it if you want to but dont say it within my hearing expect to be embarrassed. If you cannot afford to tip, you cannot afford to cruise.

Doug

I'm thinking she would like to tip the individuals personally that she interacts with on a daily basis during her holiday but as she's already said doesn't want the people who also works hard to not receive any tip. And that comment is exactly what made me think twice about asking a question, shame really that these forums are here for this but people are made to feel they can't ask questions in fear of negative people commenting

This is a personal decision....do what you feel is best.

this ^^^^^^

Ok, think I'm getting sucked into this to much [emoji23]. My genuine concern was pre paying and then feeling guilty about not being able to individually tip larger amounts but I've been re-assured that this won't be the case. This is our first proper cruise, myself and my husband did a mini cruise and was overwhelmed by the the service. This is why we wanted to make sure we were going to do the right thing.

Sent from my iPhone using Forums

Dont think grapau was directing reply at you. Since you leave auto tips in place that is more than acceptable. If a crewmember has gone above for me or my family i leave them extra on top of auto grats (but that is not needed). Which has been the case for all 20+ cruises we have done. Only once have we not left a tip to a waiter because he was terrible (but we left the auto tip).

Do not feel like you are being singled out. Hope you continue to ask questions. You just picked a very lively topic.

Sent from my SM-N910P using Tapatalk

yes you did give a helpful answer but I saw lots of this going on too what does tipping have to do with whether you can afford a cruise? once it is paid for tipping is strictly a choice, and has NOTHING to do with affording a cruise.

I do not care how people rationalize removing the auto tip and then try and say they want to pay those who they want to give extra think they are fooling anyone! Why cant they be honest and just say...I am a tightwad and I intend to stiff the people that worked hard to make my cruise wonderful?. When they go to the purser and have the autotips removed they are done. Do it if you want to but dont say it within my hearing expect to be embarrassed. If you cannot afford to tip, you cannot afford to cruise.

Doug

I hope your second paragraph wasn't directed at me. As for the OP, she wasn't saying she can't afford to tip at all. She was worried because her budget does not allow tipping above and beyond the auto gratuities. Personally, I'm fine with that. She has gotten her answer, and decided to leave the auto gratuities in place. I'm with you on the others who stiff the staff. It's not that they can't "afford" to tip. It's that they don't want to. I always use the auto, and usually tip additional in cash.

It doesn't mater where in the thread you post. When you make a comment about your financial situation you open yourself up to having that comment scrutinized.

Your original post touched on a hot button subject - tipping. Most of the people on Cruise Critic are very pro tipping - the more the better. I will admit I tip, I will admit I sometimes tip more than is suggested, but I will not discuss the amounts, nor will I say if tipping the recommended amount affects my budget or not. Unfortunately you have put yourself in the cross hairs of a lot of current Cruise Critic members.

If you want my advice, tip what you think is fair and keep that to yourself. Otherwise, contact your local fire department and find out where to buy flame proof clothing. Also, keep a fire extinguisher near the computer.

I did not say tipping the recommended amounts would affects my budget, I was asking about paying auto grats and tipping generously on top. I never said paying auto grays was out of my budget and I never mentioned amounts.

I consider it completely dishonorable to leave tips when I am not happy with the service or when I feel the person/service does not require a tip. I am not sure how the world is a better place when my pride and honor is wounded or attacked because peer pressure and social conventions dictate tipping. I have principles and I will not allow them to be destroyed by doing something I do not believe in doing. I do not question the motives of people who leave tips (even though I abhor the practice), yet I am judged to be a miscreant when I do not tip. That's vile.

The only vile thing is when you know it is accepted practice to tip and you don't tip.

UK D+ member.

When someone says they think tipping is vile they deserve to be critised.

UK D+ member.

Totally agree with you.

UK D+ member.

Dont think grapau was directing reply at you. Since you leave auto tips in place that is more than acceptable. If a crewmember has gone above for me or my family i leave them extra on top of auto grats (but that is not needed). Which has been the case for all 20+ cruises we have done. Only once have we not left a tip to a waiter because he was terrible (but we left the auto tip).

Do not feel like you are being singled out. Hope you continue to ask questions. You just picked a very lively topic.

Sent from my SM-N910P using Tapatalk

Total respect for Ginny and everyone else who pay their tips.

UK D+ member.

I did not say tipping the recommended amounts would affects my budget, I was asking about paying auto grats and tipping generously on top. I never said paying auto grays was out of my budget and I never mentioned amounts.

If you pay your autotips everyone is happy and the crew are being recognised for their selfless hard work to give us all.a fantastic cruise.

UK D+ member.

Again the tipping system is set up the way it is because even if some remove their tips.....everybody is still making more money than without the system!

The guilt trip works nicely - as it is designed to stiff most passengers !:halo:

You're right in that how things are done where you come from is besides the point. Where I come from, paying to use a restroom is unheard of. That doesn't mean I pee in the streets in European countries rather than pay the restroom toll....

But the attitude that 'as long as most people pay it, one or two not doesn't hurt' is the same attitude that causes pandemics. 'Every kid around here is vaccinated against measles, so if I don't it won't matter'... until enough parents have that attitude and the disease starts to spread.

Next time you are onboard ask your waitstaff if they are fine with you not tipping since, surely, someone else will overtip to cover the gap, and see what they say.

You're right in that how things are done where you come from is besides the point. Where I come from, paying to use a restroom is unheard of. That doesn't mean I pee in the streets in European countries rather than pay the restroom toll....

But the attitude that 'as long as most people pay it, one or two not doesn't hurt' is the same attitude that causes pandemics. 'Every kid around here is vaccinated against measles, so if I don't it won't matter'... until enough parents have that attitude and the disease starts to spread.

Next time you are onboard ask your waitstaff if they are fine with you not tipping since, surely, someone else will overtip to cover the gap, and see what they say.

He wouldn't dare.

He wants the service but doesn't want to pay for it.

D+