Fahrenheit 455 Steakhouse vs Ruth Chris

iamchrisstone

Jamman54

I been going to Aruba for years and up until this past August I can say no, I also never tried Tango Argentine only because there have been some bad reviews....this year in August had some friends staying the same time with us and they had made previous reservations to El Gaucho and we had dinner there with them....it was my other half (we both are 54) and my father in law who is 78, the steak was HUGE portion as well as the side dishes, the service was very good and the atmosphere was fun and interesting and prices were reasonable, it was good. Last year we went to Aruba along with some family members were were 8 people (ages 25-78) and went to Daniels Steakhouse, it was a true disappointment to all of us and we left there with this greasy nasty taste in our mouths, we never will go there again. At the Ritz Carlton they have a BLT, I been to others in Vegas and New York with the one in NY being better, I haven't gone here only because I have been to others but it is very very good. Next year I want to try the Chophouse at Manchebo, have you been there?

Jamman54

I been going to Aruba for years and up until this past August I can say no, I also never tried Tango Argentine only because there have been some bad reviews....this year in August had some friends staying the same time with us and they had made previous reservations to El Gaucho and we had dinner there with them....it was my other half (we both are 54) and my father in law who is 78, the steak was HUGE portion as well as the side dishes, the service was very good and the atmosphere was fun and interesting and prices were reasonable, it was good. Last year we went to Aruba along with some family members were were 8 people (ages 25-78) and went to Daniels Steakhouse, it was a true disappointment to all of us and we left there with this greasy nasty taste in our mouths, we never will go there again. At the Ritz Carlton they have a BLT, I been to others in Vegas and New York with the one in NY being better, I haven't gone here only because I have been to others but it is very very good. Next year I want to try the Chophouse at Manchebo, have you been there?

No we haven't, but we have heard good things about it. We will be back in Aruba in May. :cool:

Do you have a timeshare there? We will be back there in July, love love Aruba.

Since we been on this topic of Aruba and the island is known to have so many wonderful restaurants and would like to hear where you go and recommend, these are the ones we like:

Every year we must go back to- Aqua Grill, Barefoot, Flying Fishbone is wonderful but far so we don't go every year, Quinto del Carmen, White Modern/The Kitchen Table by White, Gianni's although this year we had a couple of missed but we will go back,

We did not care for-Yemanja, Chalet Suisse (went this year), Screaming Eagle (went this year), Altamar (went this year), Fishes & More (this year), Sole Mare

We haven't tried but will- Passions on the Beach, Wilhelmina, Windows on Aruba, Papimento, The Chophouse at Manchebo, Papillon, Anna Maria's, Ricardo's, Matthews and Sunset Grille, Elements, Ruinas del lMar...most of these I will try next year.

Pinchos we had three wonderful years, last year it went a bit down hill but still good enough to go back and this year we said we won't be back.

We enjoyed- LG Smith Steak & Chop, for Mexican Iguana Joe's was good, Azzurro was good, Gostoso no longer there, El Gaucho more for the atmosphere, Atardi, Texas de Brazil but its a chain, Carte Blanche, Tierra del Sol

Ten years ago when they were supper clubs on Carnival with the grand piano and live entertainment the steaks were excellent. Since they went to steak house the quality has degraded. I worked in food service and we cut steaks for Ritz Carlton. There is no way those steaks are prime! The steaks that are choice that I grill at home are much better.

Jerrymac I don't think we or at least I am not saying the steaks at the Steakhouse are Prime, what I can say they are so much better quality than that stuff you get in the MDR. I believe the beef you get in the MDR is the lowest quality possible....most likely standard and commercial grades which make sense as they are ordering in mass quantities and the prices for a Carnival cruise is definitely more economical than other cruise lines and I doubt the beef isn't even a USDA Select grade.

Have you ever noticed people ordering the Prime Rib and leaving it on the plate, it sure is a thick huge hunk of all fat, with very little beef, no wonder I notice that most people that order the beef its always left on the plate.

Whether Carnival Steakhouse offers prime or not, the fact is my steaks there ALWAYS have been tender, delicious and cooked the way I asked for. I always order the beef carpaccio and its always perfect, trust me, I won't eat raw meat if it wasn't good, tasty and had quality, that certainly is not low grade beef for sure.

Not following your post, MDR is bad, buffet is worse, so you eat at the Steakhouse every night? Isn't Longhorn similar to Outback, we do not have one here. Ruth's Chris is a top of the line steakhouse.

This thread is getting sillier by the minute. Coevan, I am with you....find it hard to believe someone doesn't 'like' Ruth Chris' food....I would understand not liking the pricing or the fact that everything is ala carte and pricey....but to compare to Longhorn or Outback or CCL steakhouses to Ruth Chris' is just plain silly. The cut, the quality, the preparation etc is not even in the same league at Ruth Chris vs. Longhorn/Outback. While the steak houses on CCL are a step above the MDR offerings for a lower price point than excellent steakhouses on land, they are nowhere near the level of Ruth Chris', Mortons, Mastro's etc in quality, cut, preparation or taste.

Do you have a timeshare there? We will be back there in July, love love Aruba.

No we don't, but have friends that do. Only been to Aruba on cruises and have been lucky to have 10pm departures so that we can enjoy dinner in town.:cool:

Buddylover sorry you don't agree with me, and food is subjective, I guess I be blunt since your arguing how can anybody not like Ruth Chris, well, my other half, my father in law and myself don't care for Ruth Chris....We feel this way because we travel a lot, we dine at the finest of restaurants and had the best of steaks (as well as seafood) in so many places that we just can't compare to what you get at Ruth Chris to what we experienced and had at Peter Luger, Keens Steakhouse, Del Friscos and many others, so when you do dine at the places then tell me whether you still agree how could somebody not care for Ruth Chris. ;)

By the way, we don't care what the cost is for a good steak, so price is certainly never the issue to us, in fact, Ruth Chris is less costly than most steakhouses I been to, you get what you pay for.

Jamman54 hello!!! I been going to Aruba for the past few years, we always had stayed at the Marriott Stellaris at the Tradewinds Club, needless to say, our hotel bill alone is always over 6k, so we took the plunge this year, and purchase Marriott Vacation Timeshare....our family rents from Redweek. to the Marriott Ocean and Surf club which are located right next to the Marriott hotel, all three share the property together....this enables my daughter who is an adult to come to Aruba for vacation next year and my father in law won't have that huge hotel bill as he is elderly, so I think it will work out perfectly for us all.

I agree, when cruising to Aruba its nice they stay docked until 10pm, definitely, its our most favorite island, perhaps unfortuatnely with the hurricane damage in the Caribbean islands that Aruba be used a lot more for a port of call.

You can choose whatever you like but only one main course. And you can order as many sides as you like too. Trust me, the Steakhouse is very very good, it won't disappoint you and the service has always been excellent, if it weren't we wouldn't go there every evening for dinner. ;)

I like the steaks served on board. The people who age the beef are doing a great job to have tender delicious meat. I like the presentation in the steakhouse too. I like the showcase of the cuts available before selecting from the menu.

If you want to taste the best steak in America, try The Piedmont Steakhouse in Culpeper VA.

are you from Culpeper? we have been there a few times.

I think if I didn't travel a lot and go to the finest of steakhouses I may just like Ruth Chris.....;)

New Orleans, haven't found a good steakhouse have to admit Ruth Chris probably best one there.

Next time you are in New Orleans try a Filet at the Brick Oven Cafe. It's close to the airport next to Crown Plaza. It's an Italian place that doesn't look like much but the steak (and the pasta!) were incredible!

I've had good steaks and less good steaks at Ruth's Chris. Depends on the city and the franchises. Supposed to be uniform but there are variances. Also could be who's on the rill on any particular night. Similarly with Morton's and Capital Grille. If there's a local steakhouse, not a chain, we'll usually try that first. We do like the Steakhouse's on Carnival. Our major complaint is the portions are too large. At a landbased restaurant you can get a doggy bag. At sea its a waste. We'll go for the lamb chops or seafood or just a filet.

Adding, we generally avoid the lower end chains like the plague, I think the last time I was in a Longhorn's was back in the 90s in downtown Houston for someone' birthday lunch. Never been to the one here. And we may have been to the Outback twice here in 17 years.

Maybe its time to rebook the Carnival Dream out of New Orleans, I was suppose to do that and stay pre and post cruise only I was not allowed to fly longer than an hour during this past May so had to cancel the cruise (thank goodness for insurance) and we went on the Harmony of the Seas instead.....I think its time and there are many nice restaurants in New Orleans, I definitely will check that restaurant out d12j28, thanks.

Crewsweeper- I have to agree with you, when it comes to franchise steakhouses each location can be different such as Fago de Chao, the best one so far is Beverly Hills but the one in Orlando and Miami not as good...The Palm, the one in LA very good but in Boston and Orlando and Miami not so good....Mastro's in Beverly Hills very very good but in NY and Vegas not so good, etc....Your correct, different chefs I think?

I agree, the portions at the Carnival Steakhouse are too large. The last time I had to go to Longhorn was visiting mom for mothers day four years ago, they just had to go there and nowhere else...needless to say, they think Longhorn is fine dining and an excellent steak hahahahaha...but thats my parents, they know nothing that is good ugh!

There is Outback and Longhorn then Carnival and Ruth and then there is Mortons and finally Peter Luger and some top high end NYC and Chicago Steakhouses.

I listed them in preference from weak to exceptional. We ate at the Eiffel Tower in Vegas last night and that filet mignon was the absolute best I have ever tasted. It was also the highest priced meal we ever had - $300 for 2, no booze, appetizer, entree, sides and dessert.

Carnival Steakhouse is worth the up charge go and enjoy it!!!!

Sent from my iPhone using Forums

So, I am a huge Ruth Chris fan. I'm not a person that just craves any ole steak. I'm not a picky eater in general. In fact, on our cruises, I LOVE the buffet food. That being said, when it comes to steak, I am pretty picky.

Anyway, I've never been interested in trying Fahrenheit 455 but as I am preparing for my next cruise on the Sunshine, it has been said to me a couple times that it is comparable to Ruth Chris'. Any validity to this point?

Bull.. Ruth Chris and Fahrenheit are not even close to being in the same league. I have had good steaks in Michelin stared restaurants all over Europe and I have never had a fillet better than Ruth Chris...as good but not better..

Dennis

Jacksonville, Fl

650 days at sea

73 cruises

14 cruise lines

T/P, T/A, Hawaii,Central & South America, New Zealand & South Pacific, Rio/ Amazon,Alaska

There is Outback and Longhorn then Carnival and Ruth and then there is Mortons and finally Peter Luger and some top high end NYC and Chicago Steakhouses.

I listed them in preference from weak to exceptional. We ate at the Eiffel Tower in Vegas last night and that filet mignon was the absolute best I have ever tasted. It was also the highest priced meal we ever had - $300 for 2, no booze, appetizer, entree, sides and dessert.

I think that stack rank you list is dead on. Good, midlevel steakhouses....RC/CCL

when you pay that much money for food, it had better be good! why pay that much? I know, because you can!

Im not going to get in a whizzing match about quality of steaks. As I understand, the supper clubs used Prime cuts but thats no longer I guess. Thats ok, I eat Choice cuts at home and Im fine with them. For me personally, when I factor in that Im on the ocean, on a wonderful Carnival ship, eating a good steak and sides with what I considered excellent service, at less than 1/3rd what it would have cost me at a Ruths Chris in some big city somewhere, I will take the Carnival steakhouse every.single.time. YMMV

17 more days and I will be enjoying a big cowboy steak in Prime on Magic! Reservations already made. Cant wait!

Edited by ryano

Ruth Chris is similar to Longhorn Steakhouse only its more pricier....Mortons Steakhouse/Peter Luger/David Burke/Bern's/BLT and Prime in Syosset NY are my most favorite steakhouses......honestly, I can't eat the food in the MDR on Carnival ships its just horrible but we sure are very happy with the Steakhouse on Carnival...for a cheap price your paying your getting an excellent meal.

On another note, Carnivals Steakhouse is much better than RC Chops!

You budget and pay an extra $500 just to eat in the steakhouse all cruise?