NCL Cruise Service Charge Refund

bussub

When you stay in a hotel how much per day do you give to the maid? How about if you eat at golden corral buffet, how much for server to pick up your plates?

You are always going to get those who say - not to pay service charge is taking money out of unseen crew members pockets and this point has been debated to death! At the end of the day it's your choice - who cares what anyone else thinks!?

Go to the desk near to the end of your cruise, say you want to remove charges - they may ask you to sign a form to confirm - check on board account back at your cabin and all should be good.

Enjoy.

Please let me know if I am not getting this right. You are going to remove the service charge from your next cruise even if the service is good to make up for past issues that you did not complain about to NCL? I would say this might be OK if the service charge was just going into the business earnings. However it is my understanding that the service charge goes to the crew on the current sailing. If it were me I would write down all the cruises where things went wrong and include the exact dates it happened and write how it impacted you. Then I would try to get a response from NCL to see what they say. Failing that I don't know what to tell you except in the past I have had horrible maid service at a hotel that I frequently stay at and excellent service too. I am guilty of still leaving a tip for the bad maid service. If then I decide later I want to make that back I wouldn't withhold the tip from my current maid. I would take it up with the hotel manager.

However it is my understanding that the service charge goes to the crew on the current sailing.
That is what NCL would have you believe. But there is no public verifiable proof that is actually what happens. Your money goes to NCL. What NCL does with it is NCL's business and not likely to be made public in an detailed or verificable manner. How much they give to their employees is between NCL and their employees.

Please let me know if I am not getting this right. You are going to remove the service charge from your next cruise even if the service is good to make up for past issues that you did not complain about to NCL? I would say this might be OK if the service charge was just going into the business earnings. However it is my understanding that the service charge goes to the crew on the current sailing. If it were me I would write down all the cruises where things went wrong and include the exact dates it happened and write how it impacted you. Then I would try to get a response from NCL to see what they say. Failing that I don't know what to tell you except in the past I have had horrible maid service at a hotel that I frequently stay at and excellent service too. I am guilty of still leaving a tip for the bad maid service. If then I decide later I want to make that back I wouldn't withhold the tip from my current maid. I would take it up with the hotel manager.

Yes that is our plan, a one time thing to get our money back, we did complain and got "sorry", so now, no long letters, no looking at history of cruises and recollections. On one cruise even though we paid full retail we did not get cruise night credits.

Ok so quick summary of help (lot of pages on this thread) on our next cruise we will reach platinum status. I am not a big fan of ncl, but if the cruise is cheap we hit it, never have I received any money/obc for any complaints over the years. Not once, So we have a plan to make up for all the things that went wrong (example: safe did not work binoculars locked in so we could not see the whales, replaced carpeting in our room said they would do it at 2pm, we went to get changed at 1pm and room already ripped apart, leak/smell in bathroom, things like that etc...)

So our plan is not to pay any service charges on this cruise, a one time thing only to make up for all other mistakes of ncl. Please good people what do we need to do. thank you

It sounds very fair. Screw over a bunch of people who had nothing to do with the problems you perceive. Good plan.

Having employed an ex NCL staff member, the stories I’ve been told would amaze you, what about the toilets that have suddenly stopped holding a vacuum, you think it’s just happened to you on this cruise, NO it’s been going on for months, the staff are fully prepared for your complaint.

It sounds very fair. Screw over a bunch of people who had nothing to do with the problems you perceive. Good plan.

Many problems with no resolution except "sorry" , a cruise changes carpet on a cruise, gives you the wrong time do you can't get your beach 🌴gear, so we are stuck o on the ship, and we should get nothing! I disagree, all wrongs will be taken care of with this one cruise

Many problems with no resolution except "sorry" , a cruise changes carpet on a cruise, gives you the wrong time do you can't get your beach 🌴gear, so we are stuck o on the ship, and we should get nothing! I disagree, all wrongs will be taken care of with this one cruise

No they wion't

Ok so quick summary of help (lot of pages on this thread) on our next cruise we will reach platinum status. I am not a big fan of ncl, but if the cruise is cheap we hit it, never have I received any money/obc for any complaints over the years. Not once, So we have a plan to make up for all the things that went wrong (example: safe did not work binoculars locked in so we could not see the whales, replaced carpeting in our room said they would do it at 2pm, we went to get changed at 1pm and room already ripped apart, leak/smell in bathroom, things like that etc...)

So our plan is not to pay any service charges on this cruise, a one time thing only to make up for all other mistakes of ncl. Please good people what do we need to do. thank you

Your plan should be to cruise another line. That is the only plan for “revenge” that would make sense in your situation.

• Like 1

Your plan should be to cruise another line. That is the only plan for “revenge” that would make sense in your situation.

? "revenge"? We are talking cold hard cash, just one of many issues was changing the carpet in my room, I paid for a vacation, not for them to remodel my room, as previously stated a one time deal to get my money back since complaints were not heeded. I will take any cruise line that offers cheap, not married to any line. Nothing to do with revenge, if you want to give me $400 I will call the whole thing off.

? "revenge"? We are talking cold hard cash, just one of many issues was changing the carpet in my room, I paid for a vacation, not for them to remodel my room, as previously stated a one time deal to get my money back since complaints were not heeded. I will take any cruise line that offers cheap, not married to any line. Nothing to do with revenge, if you want to give me $400 I will call the whole thing off.

So, as a hypothetical. If you went to a restaurant and found it had a long wait for a table, food took a long time to come out, when it came out it was cold and didn’t taste good. You complain to management and their response is ‘sorry’. Would you then not tip the server?

If the answer is yes, why? Not a single one of those issues has a thing to do with the server and you server could be busting their butt and it wouldn’t change any of those issues.

Which is along the lines of what you are describing here. It sounds like the issues you had were with management, not the service.

So, as a hypothetical. If you went to a restaurant and found it had a long wait for a table, food took a long time to come out, when it came out it was cold and didn’t taste good. You complain to management and their response is ‘sorry’. Would you then not tip the server?

If the answer is yes, why? Not a single one of those issues has a thing to do with the server and you server could be busting their butt and it wouldn’t change any of those issues.

Which is along the lines of what you are describing here. It sounds like the issues you had were with management, not the service.

My response was about revenge, nothing to do with revenge, it is about money, plus rarely do we eat in the mdr yet i pay tips for that, nah gotta get my money back, until reading this thread i did not realize it was possible, I really appreciate the help received here. It is about the money only

nah cold food,poor service, etc... Nope no tip at all

I think the issue is if you go to dinner Monday in Restaurant 1 and have poor service, if you reduce your tip then it's reasonable, depending on what happened. But, let's say you chose to give your normal tip the. If you then go to dinner a month later in Restaurant 2 (same chain, different location), and got acceptable service, would you reduce/eliminate your tip at Restaurant 2 as "revenge" for your poor experience in Restaurant 1? That's unfair to your Restaurant 2 server & whoever else they might tip out.

I support reducing your Restaurant 1 tip if circumstances warrant it, but disagree with penalizing a totally different staff that weren't involved in whatever issues upset you.

I'm not weighing in on the entire DSC debate and whether it is ever appropriate to remove it - I am just saying, whatever the issues are with past cruises have nothing to do with your future cruises, and the future cruise staff shouldn't be penalized for what has happened in the past. Instead leave a review, or multiple reviews, talking about the issues you experienced; write a letter to NCL customer service--but don't take it out on the staff that didn't create or contribute to the problems. That's unfair to them.

• Like 1

Maybe the cruise line should pay the OP to cruise, and have the staff tip for the pleasure of serving, that might solve the problem

I am not the OP, but that offer works for me, anyone who wants to pay me is fine, that works, $400 seems about right, fair

Clearly this person has never worked in the service industry! And should maybe think about staying home instead of screwing innocent workers out of their tips. Btw the tips go toward the staff in the buffet too!

Sent from my iPhone using Forums

ahaah would you like to place a $400 on bet on me working in the service industry? It be fun for people to guess what I did. I have never received a complaint in the 25 years as such, not "STELLA" but Stellar baby, exceptional, presidential award winner! Edited by Newleno

People who cannot afford the full cost of a cruise, which includes service charges, should choose a different holiday... I think the key word in the above is “cheap”. Being cheap on the backs of those who serve you just isn’t right. Period. Justify it how you may!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

• Like 1