music and/or dancing venues for older people on Regal?

Itchy&Scratchy

There are dancing on some nights at the Piazza. The venue, time and theme are listed on the Patter

Sent from my iPhone using Forums

Crooners Bar. The piano player will play Oldies by request. Like , Rosemary Clooney, Frank Sinatra, Barry Manilow, Billy Joel, Barbara Streisand, Neil Diamond, Al Green, Marvin Gaye, Barry White, etc. There is a small area for the old people who enjoy cheek to cheek slow dancing.

Enjoy your cruise.

Edited by Kingofcool1947

My parents will be cruising with us this time - it's their first cruise ever. I'd like to recommend a venue or two to them with more of an oldies kind of music and maybe some slow dancing. They are in the late 60s.

What would you recommend?

Why does that not sound "older" to me? :loudcry: :loudcry:

My reaction too :)

To OP, when we were on Regal there was occasionally slow dancing in Piazza that your parents might enjoy. We had a problem with Crooners - the piano player was popular with many people, we just found him to be a loud, wanna be comedian. He commented 'It's Crooners so I guess I have to play a Sinatra number' - wish I could remember his name. Also no dancing in Crooners.

We did enjoy the Wheelhouse bar - mostly slower paced, guitar trio and a small space where people danced.

while it may not sound older to you, I am sure they wouldn't enjoy dubstep or trance, like we do. So, we need something a bit more subdued for them. They used to do ballroom dancing, so something like that. Dad has a back problem, so he is not as mobile as he used to be.

Just got off the Regal TA and there were plenty of "Older" cruisers. :D

There was also plenty of slow dancing in the Piazza every night plus plenty of "oldies" music that anybody would like, especially those late sixties types.....haha ;)

They also had pre-recorded ballroom dancing music some nights in Princess Live.

Enjoy your cruise. The Regal is a beautiful ship, our new favorite.

Crooners Bar. The piano player will play Oldies by request. Like , Rosemary Clooney, Frank Sinatra, Barry Manilow, Billy Joel, Barbara Streisand, Neil Diamond, Al Green, Marvin Gaye, Barry White, etc. There is a small area for the old people who enjoy cheek to cheek slow dancing.

Enjoy your cruise.

thank you! Sounds perfect!

Ha! me either; full disclosure, I'm 72.

I actually find a lot of the music too 'old' for me; I really don't care for 40's and 50's music, which there seems to be a lot of.

Sometime hopefully they will figure out that many of us who were teens/college aged in the 60's really don't want big band and crooners type music. Yes, 60's-80's musiic is oldies, but not the same as, say Rosemary Clooney or even Sinatra.

When I'[m 90 I bet I will still want to hear the Beatles, Stones or other rock legends!

thanks! I thought they did games in Princess Live.

They do all kinds of different activities in Princess Live, lectures, games and ballroom dancing on our cruise. We had a Norman Love chocolate dessert prep demo also, with samples at the end. [emoji2][emoji2]

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Only real dance area is the Piazza. Music is mixed, but mainly party music. I don't know how old you consider old, but many passengers in their 70's and 80's do let their hair down and enjoy the party music.

Late night there may be some slow DJ sets in Club 6.

Crooner's doesn't really have a dance floor. I have seen some people dancing on the rug in the walkway area.

Same with the Wheelhouse Bar. Some do dance in the walking area on the carpet.

There is a small dance floor in the Vista Lounge. I have seen some limited dancing there.

Of course there is dancing when there is a deck party. It is usually party dancing.

Have never seen any dancing in Princess Live. Of course it could happen.

You have to watch the Princess Patter.

My reaction too :)

To OP, when we were on Regal there was occasionally slow dancing in Piazza that your parents might enjoy. We had a problem with Crooners - the piano player was popular with many people, we just found him to be a loud, wanna be comedian. He commented 'It's Crooners so I guess I have to play a Sinatra number' - wish I could remember his name. Also no dancing in Crooners.

We did enjoy the Wheelhouse bar - mostly slower paced, guitar trio and a small space where people danced.

Most like Perry Grant.. If you sailed Royal between October or so through early January 2016-2017.

He's fairly polarizing. Folks seen to either love him or well, maybe not hate him, but find him too much.. He has a large fan followed that books ships solely based on him being there. He brought a large continent from Celebrity, where he used to be a regular performer...he's back aboard Royal in November I think...about 2.5 month contract or so...

I could be wrong in the performer if course..but your description sounds very Perry..

Only real dance area is the Piazza. Music is mixed, but mainly party music. I don't know how old you consider old, but many passengers in their 70's and 80's do let their hair down and enjoy the party music.

I didn't say OLD, I said OLDER. My parents are definitely older than me, by definition. Unfortunately, dad suffered a huge setback with his back this summer, and I was actually thinking of getting him a wheelchair for the cruise. He is in physical therapy and hopefully won't need a wheelchair, but he will be slowly shuffling around, not letting his hair down. But he may be able to do some slow dancing with mom to the oldies or other mellow music.

I really enjoyed the Strings quartet in the Piazza on our Regal cruise last time.

P.S. To the young at heart cruisers: I am being realistic when I say that my parents are older. They may be young at heart as well, but unfortunately, their bodies are aging. So is mine. This is not intended to offend any of you.

Most like Perry Grant.. If you sailed Royal between October or so through early January 2016-2017.

He's fairly polarizing. Folks seen to either love him or well, maybe not hate him, but find him too much.. He has a large fan followed that books ships solely based on him being there. He brought a large continent from Celebrity, where he used to be a regular performer...he's back aboard Royal in November I think...about 2.5 month contract or so...

I could be wrong in the performer if course..but your description sounds very Perry..

Just did a search and pretty sure it was Kory Simon - also very polarizing, many people raved about him. Maybe just our group disliked him, we prefer good music that still allows a conversation. Kory Simon was more like a very loud stage show - we left Crooners when he was there.

The guy at Crooners on our last cruise (not the Regal) was also of the brash, Rodney Dangerfield, very very annoying and 'offending' variety. We avoided at all costs!

Unfortunately, I think that I am one who think that Princess is seriously missing the boat on the music and dancing.

I just do not think that Piazza is the place to have couples dance.

We are talking surrounded 360' by all of the foot traffic and coming and going, and everything else that is going on around the Piazza.

I think they need to have designed one of the other venues for this

Seems like it might feel like dancing in the middle of a big Mall???

Also, OP, based on my experience, Princess Cruises does seem to be geared towards passengers your parent's age.

I wish they would have one of the venues that could be more current, or unique, or lively...

I am not talking current pop music, or LA Dance Club, which might be on track in the Club...

The venue called HAVANA on the Carnival Vista really appeals to me!

Ha! me either; full disclosure, I'm 72.

I actually find a lot of the music too 'old' for me; I really don't care for 40's and 50's music, which there seems to be a lot of.

Sometime hopefully they will figure out that many of us who were teens/college aged in the 60's really don't want big band and crooners type music. Yes, 60's-80's musiic is oldies, but not the same as, say Rosemary Clooney or even Sinatra.

When I'[m 90 I bet I will still want to hear the Beatles, Stones or other rock legends!

Agree!! (y)(y)

Unfortunately, I think that I am one who think that Princess is seriously missing the boat on the music and dancing.

I just do not think that Piazza is the place to have couples dance.

We are talking surrounded 360' by all of the foot traffic and coming and going, and everything else that is going on around the Piazza.

I think they need to have designed one of the other venues for this

Seems like it might feel like dancing in the middle of a big Mall???

Also, OP, based on my experience, Princess Cruises does seem to be geared towards passengers your parent's age.

I wish they would have one of the venues that could be more current, or unique, or lively...

I am not talking current pop music, or LA Dance Club, which might be on track in the Club...

The venue called HAVANA on the Carnival Vista really appeals to me!

Agree. That's what my wife says - not that I dance.

They do have sock hop and 60's type nights.

We've been on the Royal Princess, the sister ship. There was decent dancing in the atrium early in the evening. If you had the 5:30 Traditional dining you would probably miss it. We even danced some in the Alfredo's restaurant when a good song came along.

I would say that if you want to do any sort of ballroom dance then sign up for Anytime dining.

It sounded like there were other venues but we didn't try them.

And, yes, the atrium is not the best dance floor, but it seemed to work.

All other ships in the Princess fleet have a nice dance floor in the Wheelhouse Bar, and another in the show lounge at the stern of the ship (Vista/Club Fusion), and a lot more dance opportunities.