Disappointing New Years

cruisequeen4ever

I agree with you. Martinique is a dreadful place. Mose unfriendly natives I have ever met. That is one reason it is on so few itineraries.

+1

Jamaica followed by Martinique are the two ports that I will never cruise too again, I simply won't book a cruise that includes them on an itinerary.

Srpilo

I would have been happy with a sea day. I have a 12 night cruise on NCL and they switched my entire Eastern cruise to Western ports plus Port Canaveral. Really disappointing ports. I think Princess is trying harder to provide a good cruise similar to what you booked. In the end, though, I’m lucky to be able to cruise.

Sent from my iPad using Forums

You do realize that after Harvey, Irma and Maria, that not only Princess but Royal, Norwegian, Holland, Celebrity, MSC, and Carnival along with the smaller luxury cruise lines are trying to find alternate ports of call for an Eastern itinerary? And that there are a very limited number of port spaces available that would not impact the rest of the itinerary? Give the cruise lines a break - they are trying their best with what Mother Nature left them to work with!

I am also on a New Years cruise on the Regal. I really hoped they would give us a sea day for Dominica. We had been there many years ago. It was not a favorite of ours. We are so sorry for the people there, but not a great place to visit in MHO so not really upset we will miss it. Now we are going to Martinique. We also went there about 10 years ago. My advice is to do a ships tour or stay on the ship. People had problems with taxi drivers not taking them where they were asked to take them. People do not speak English. The town close to where the ship docks has nothing for tourist to do. No shopping, restaurants, or bars that looked tourist friendly. We should have taken a tour. We walked around town went to a beach in town where some children through mud at us. We did not have a good feeling went back to the ship after a couple hours. We have traveled all over the world and this was one of the most unwelcoming places I have ever been. Not sure what we will do here. We are traveling with a group of friends so will depend on what others want to do. Princess has not put up any tours yet so maybe something will appeal to us, if not we will stay on the ship. I am not mad at Princess for this at all. I am sure this is a nightmare for them. If you read your cruise contract they have the right to change any stop for whatever reason. We are looking forward to a great cruise with great friends.

Here are the 7 Princess tours that are listed for our cruise stop in Martinique. I think your cruise should probably have the same ones.

Walking tour of Fort de France

St. Pierre & Rum Distillery

Snorkeling Adventure

4x4 Adventure

Botanical Garden

Cat. cruise & Grand Anse Beach

Plantation House & Run Tasting

We stopped in Martinique in March 2017. Right along the waterfront there is a building with lots of stalls and vendors.

The main street does not have much to see. There are mainly regular businesses.

The old fort is at the end of the main area. You can go in, believe there is an entrance fee. Don't know too much about this.

The beach in Fort de France has a park all along the beach front with play areas for children.

We spent about two to three hours walking around. If I remember correctly we stopped for a cup of coffee.

Unlike most other Caribbean islands where the locals speak multiple languages, most people I encountered in the tourist area spoke only French. It wasn't a problem. US$ were accepted in the tourist area. The local currency is Euros.

Here are the 7 Princess tours that are listed for our cruise stop in Martinique. I think your cruise should probably have the same ones.

Walking tour of Fort de France

St. Pierre & Rum Distillery

Snorkeling Adventure

4x4 Adventure

Botanical Garden

Cat. cruise & Grand Anse Beach

Plantation House & Run Tasting

We stopped in Martinique in March 2017. Right along the waterfront there is a building with lots of stalls and vendors.

The main street does not have much to see. There are mainly regular businesses.

The old fort is at the end of the main area. You can go in, believe there is an entrance fee. Don't know too much about this.

The beach in Fort de France has a park all along the beach front with play areas for children.

We spent about two to three hours walking around. If I remember correctly we stopped for a cup of coffee.

Unlike most other Caribbean islands where the locals speak multiple languages, most people I encountered in the tourist area spoke only French. It wasn't a problem. US$ were accepted in the tourist area. The local currency is Euros.

Thank you for sharing. I think we did the Catamaran Cruise and Grand Anse Beach last Christmas; it was nice. We like the French culture; it really does feel like you're in France. This time we will be going to the beach DH wanted to go but couldn't last time. Now for the logistics of that!

Sent from my iPhone using Forums

Talk about a First World problem ... at a time when Harvey, Irma; Maria brought so much devastation and misery to s7o many!

Good grief ... cancel NOW.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-J320A using Forums mobile app

Life is tough missing out on a port stop during a cruise. :')

What would these people do if actually faced with a real tragedy. :confused:

When you paid your fare, you agreed (implicitly) that the cruise line can change, rearrange, cancel or do whatever they want with ports. It's stated in the cruise contract that they don't actually have to take you ANYWHERE at all.

Which is exactly why the only reason I travel this way is for her. :) I prefer that services I purchase are not altered without compensation as that is what I've been taught is honorable, but I do understand the contract to which we've agreed makes that irrelevant. Traveling by air and land we would simply pick a different destination of our choice based on what's available. I get that changing plans at the last minute is much easier for two people than 3000+.

Edited by DH.

Life is tough missing out on a port stop during a cruise. :')

What would these people do if actually faced with a real tragedy. :confused:

I'm sorry your reading comprehension is struggling. I hope that works out better for you. It never ceases to amaze me the comments made by people who believe they know one's life experiences based on a comment on the Internet. Unfortunately we have gone through real hardships that I don't wish on others. Thanks for bringing up a sore subject so you could make your cute comment. Good day sir.

You do realize that after Harvey, Irma and Maria, that not only Princess but Royal, Norwegian, Holland, Celebrity, MSC, and Carnival along with the smaller luxury cruise lines are trying to find alternate ports of call for an Eastern itinerary? And that there are a very limited number of port spaces available that would not impact the rest of the itinerary? Give the cruise lines a break - they are trying their best with what Mother Nature left them to work with!

True, but at the time only one other ship was showing up as in port that day and it's a small one. That's part of the reason for the initial shock. Also as stated above it appears to have just been a web error they promptly corrected.

I'm sorry your reading comprehension is struggling. I hope that works out better for you. It never ceases to amaze me the comments made by people who believe they know one's life experiences based on a comment on the Internet. Unfortunately we have gone through real hardships that I don't wish on others. Thanks for bringing up a sore subject so you could make your cute comment. Good day sir.

Like I said. Life is tough.

Better luck next trip.

We're on the Regal cruise that is now going to Martinique and what a disappointment! We'll be staying on the ship. Last time we were there it was awful. I don't blame Princess for missing Dominica. It is what it is! I too would have preferred another sea day but we'll make the best of it.

We're on the Regal cruise that is now going to Martinique and what a disappointment! We'll be staying on the ship. Last time we were there it was awful. I don't blame Princess for missing Dominica. It is what it is! I too would have preferred another sea day but we'll make the best of it.

I agree. Martinique is not a the best place to visit. There is NOTHING at the port area. The locals are rude, even if you attempt to speak French to them. They act like tourists are a problem for them. Why would you want to stop at a port where you are not really welcome?

I agree. Martinique is not a the best place to visit. There is NOTHING at the port area. The locals are rude, even if you attempt to speak French to them. They act like tourists are a problem for them. Why would you want to stop at a port where you are not really welcome?

What you say is true about the port & people but what else could Princess do in that situation? There's probably no other port that would fit any schedule that was available. They did their best to do their best under the circumstances.

I haven't been there in 20 years & don't expect it to be much different than what you described but I'll make the best of it.

Just so you are aware and make your excursions plans soon. Jan 1 will include the Thompson Celebration ship Holland America's Veendam. Both ships have been scheduled for well over a year. Both are small ships....but that is what normally docks in Martinique.

Cruisequeen4ever, I appreciate your question. You just asked if anyone has experience or knowledge of what Princess will do in this situation, and as it turns out, they honor their words. I'm so glad. Your DH is a prince. His replies to the vitriol are so calm and well stated. Hope the two of you have a blast.

I'm of the opinion too that at least Princess substituted a port. Especially for seven night or less cruises where the ship can only go so far, there are a limited number of ports that have extra capacity. St Thomas and St Martin could handle at least six and four large ships a day respectively, very few Caribbean ports I can think of, other than Cozumel, have this docking capacity.

Edited by sunsetbeachgal

Glad you finally got the port you and your hubby wanted.

It certainly would have been tragic given that your husband was LIVID if you had to spend an extra sea day on a ship in the Caribbean celebrating your good fortune in being able to cruise while many on Dominica (or any of the hard hit Caribbean Islands) will have NOTHING to celebrate this coming New Years. Good grief!

Yes...yes...yes! Great post.