Cuba travel warning

Noxequifans

If the advice not to travel is an official US government advisory would this negate your travel insurance, say if you were taken ill or even lost luggage?

Good question. I guess you would have to read your travel policy. We have never been to an area that is under a U.S. Govt. Travel Warning. Does anyone know the answer?

Good question. I guess you would have to read your travel policy. We have never been to an area that is under a U.S. Govt. Travel Warning. Does anyone know the answer?

As LHT28 pointed out in previous post, in the case of Cuba the question is moot. There no insurance coverage from a USA insurance provider. Cuba provides insurance for tourists at a nominal cost which I believe O is including.

But in answer to your question in general trip cancellation or interruption or medical condition might not be covered if before the departure your government issues a certain level of warning, not just a warning in general and you would need to read your policy for your specifics. For example, I have a policy if the government issues an "avoid non-essential travel" or an "avoid all travel" travel advisory to not travel to a specific country region or city I would not have coverage for trip cancellation, trip interruption, or medical condition suffered or contracted in that place.

The US State Department Travel Warnings and Alerts are not monolithic. They vary by country.

Some countries have had a Travel Warning in place for many years (e.g., Israel, Mexico); yet people continue to travel there by cruise ship and land travel.

Most of these Warnings do not unilaterally say travel is restricted. It's all in the nuances.

For example, the Warning for North Korea opens by saying "The Department of State strongly warns U.S. citizens not to travel to North Korea." And continues "Persons who wish to travel to North Korea on a U.S. passport ... must obtain a special passport validation."

Whereas the Warning for Jordan is clearly more measured: "The U.S. Department of State warns U.S. citizens to consider the risks of travel to and throughout Jordan due to persistent terrorist threats."

US residences have long been touring Cuba before it was allowed by US. All anyone needed to do was go through Canada or Mexico first and then on to Cuba. We were offered a trip in 2014 via a tour operator. The US government also allowed certain educational trips.

We are not scheduled until Jan 2019, and we still plan on going. I would be more concerned about Hurricane damage, and ports in the Middle And Far East. Unfortunately, we never know where terror will strike.

I can't believe any reputable cruise line will put any of its passengers in harms way.

Sent from my iPad using Forums

If Trump says not to go to Cuba then even more reason to go! I don't believe a word that man says! I am booked on an Azamara cruise to Cuba and trust that reason will prevail over all the nonsense coming out of this administration. Trump wants the US to have nothing to do with Cuba. Don't be fooled my fellow cruisers!

If Trump says not to go to Cuba then even more reason to go! I don't believe a word that man says! I am booked on an Azamara cruise to Cuba and trust that reason will prevail over all the nonsense coming out of this administration. Trump wants the US to have nothing to do with Cuba. Don't be fooled my fellow cruisers!

Please keep political views and statements out of a cruise vacation discussion. 2 people already hijacked and ruined another Oceania thread. Stay on topic, thanks! :D

My comments above have nothing to do with politics. Nor do I think any comments on these boards should be political.

Sent from my iPad using Forums

My post was not a political post. It was a do not take away my Cuba cruise post! If you choose to see it otherwise, then that is your personal problem! I hope the cruise lines continue planning for future cruises to Cuba and that more Americans can visit this island nation and its people.

My post was not a political post. It was a do not take away my Cuba cruise post! If you choose to see it otherwise, then that is your personal problem! I hope the cruise lines continue planning for future cruises to Cuba and that more Americans can visit this island nation and its people.

Sounds very political to me. Does not belong here.

The sonic attacks happened in the embassy and hotels where diplomats were staying and happened over quite awhile. The govt included tourists in the warning because they might be staying in hotels.

We cruisers are staying overnight on our ship and will only be in Cuba for a total of 4 days. What is there to fear? We'll be touring in cars and buses. We're going in December and are very excited. There's more to be afraid of in Europe! ;)

Let's get specific. Havana has not been invaded by Martians with death rays!!!! Whatever the root cause is the problem is, the US Embassy is located 2.5 miles away with a hill in between - as are many hotels. And the docks are not surrounded by buildings so the likelihood of a problem is minuscule. I suspect noro is more likely event.

Second the US Embassy in Cuba is not entirely closing (read the State Dept Advisory)- this mostly will effect Cuban citizens from applying to US entry. Unless Cuba retaliates and closes its facilities to American Citizens for the purpose of Cuba entry, there should be no issue. Except if one looses their passport while in Cuba or has an issue or accident (although there is a skeleton US staff to handle such an event) To avoid risk, we prefer not doing independent excursions on our first trip to Cuba. With ship excursions, we have the option of the port agent to assist (and have enlisted before on a previous cruise).

The State Department is not prohibiting travel to Cuba and unless we hear of a seious issue before we step off the ship in Havana, we are going ashore.

Let's get specific. Havana has not been invaded by Martians with death rays!!!! Whatever the root cause is the problem is, the US Embassy is located 2.5 miles away with a hill in between - as are many hotels. And the docks are not surrounded by buildings so the likelihood of a problem is minuscule. I suspect noro is more likely event.

Second the US Embassy in Cuba is not entirely closing (read the State Dept Advisory)- this mostly will effect Cuban citizens from applying to US entry. Unless Cuba retaliates and closes its facilities to American Citizens for the purpose of Cuba entry, there should be no issue. Except if one looses their passport while in Cuba or has an issue or accident (although there is a skeleton US staff to handle such an event) To avoid risk, we prefer not doing independent excursions on our first trip to Cuba. With ship excursions, we have the option of the port agent to assist (and have enlisted before on a previous cruise).

The State Department is not prohibiting travel to Cuba and unless we hear of a seious issue before we step off the ship in Havana, we are going ashore.

Us Too - Can’t wait - I hope that a few don’t ruin it for the majority !

Sent from my iPhone using Forums

Another mass shooting in the US makes me wonder why people are worried about visiting Cuba or Mexico or France.

Perhaps the State Department should issue a warning against travel to the US.

After watching and reading what went on in Las Vegas last night this thread does not mean very much. We should do what we feel is best for us and get on with our lives. Whatever you do be safe.

Good story from AP on the situation. We are on the Oceania Dec. 1 cruise. No qualms.

https://www.edgemedianetwork.com/travel///249687/travel_industry_sticking_with_trips_from_us_to_cuba

Good article. I usually err on the side of caution, but I don't feel any need to change plans. If there had been attacks on tourists or ships were being targeted, that would likely make a difference. My guess is that the problems were politically motivated so I'm not afraid.

Marilynfaye - thanks so much for the link to the PBS show! My friend and I are anxious to watch it. The trailer was enticing. ;)

Good article. I usually err on the side of caution, but I don't feel any need to change plans. If there had been attacks on tourists or ships were being targeted, that would likely make a difference. My guess is that the problems were politically motivated so I'm not afraid.

Marilynfaye - thanks so much for the link to the PBS show! My friend and I are anxious to watch it. The trailer was enticing. ;)

Here's some interesting reading for you.

http://time.com/4838706/what-if-terrorists-hit-by-sea/

I am scheduled to sail on Riviera from Barcelona Oct. 25 in 3 weeks. Today there is a general strike in the Catalonia region and Barcelona city effectively shutting down all transportation local. Most businesses are closed. The airlines are allowing ticket changes if you are scheduled for travel to BCN until Oct. 13. No one knows how long this political related striking and rallies will last. No one knows if more will spring up in the near future.

Will this stop me from going on my Riviera cruise? No way. Unless O cancels it I'll make it to the pier on Oct. 25 in time for a 11:00pm sailing somehow someway. There is political squabbling going on all over the world, sometimes civilly sometimes between countries. That should not stop anyone from taking their vacations. You can't live your life worrying about the what ifs. You would never leave your home.

I am scheduled to sail on Riviera from Barcelona Oct. 25 in 3 weeks. Today there is a general strike in the Catalonia region and Barcelona city effectively shutting down all transportation local. Most businesses are closed. The airlines are allowing ticket changes if you are scheduled for travel to BCN until Oct. 13. No one knows how long this political related striking and rallies will last. No one knows if more will spring up in the near future.

Will this stop me from going on my Riviera cruise? No way. Unless O cancels it I'll make it to the pier on Oct. 25 in time for a 11:00pm sailing somehow someway. There is political squabbling going on all over the world, sometimes civilly sometimes between countries. That should not stop anyone from taking their vacations. You can't live your life worrying about the what ifs. You would never leave your home.[/quo

Please let us know how you are going to do it if there is no transport since everyone is on strike. We are going a few weeks later and this could be a major problem. Some of the demonstrations I have seen could be unsafe and no cruise is worth that. Hope you have a good way and we will follow along. Good luck and travel safe and give us a heads up. :)

Please let us know how you are going to do it if there is no transport since everyone is on strike. We are going a few weeks later and this could be a major problem. Some of the demonstrations I have seen could be unsafe and no cruise is worth that. Hope you have a good way and we will follow along. Good luck and travel safe and give us a heads up. :)

There are intermittent strikes planned for between now and Oct. 13. After that date, no one knows.

There will always be cab drivers and people with cars taking advantage of a bad situation to make money. That would be my transport. I just can't imagine any circumstance the would have O just cancel the cruise. Hopefully the office its aware of what is happening i nSpain and they are making their plan B to take care of their guests.

The US State Department has issued a warning which advises against travel to Cuba... In light of this we decided not to entertain booking a cruise there.

We’ll send you pictures of Havana and the Bay of Pigs. I believe we will be safer there than in Miami .

Sent from my iPhone using Forums