New Steakhouse Menu (October 2017)

Also happy to see that Dover Sole replaces the Chilean Sea Bass (aka: Patagonian Toothfish) !

"Farm Chicken"... as opposed to city chicken? :)

Tom

Those city chickens can be tough after spending the day walking on concrete:):)

Did it really used to be called patagonian toothfish? Wow

Those city chickens can be tough after spending the day walking on concrete:):)

Did it really used to be called patagonian toothfish? Wow

Patagonian Toothfish is the more common name - MANY places (Carnival included) felt that "Chilean Sea Bass" would sell better. :D

Tom

Mostly upgrades. I definitely saw a couple of apps that I would be interested in. (Mushrooms, Risotto, Lobster Bisque, Onion Soup, Spinach Salad, Ceasar). I may have to visit more than once because I definitely cannot eat all of those- even if Carnival would have let me.

The Wagyu beef is interesting, but DH would order a larger steak and I always get lobster when its offered. So probably would never try it.

Sides seem pretty standard although I don't remember seeing onion rings before.

Desserts- are a little underwhelming, but really who has that much room for dessert. Honestly I would be happy with a couple of chocolate truffles. Bite size and portable. Carnival- feel free to steal my idea.

Just so that Carnival (or John) can check off the appropriate box, this new menu alone is enough impetus to cause me to look for, and likely book, a Carnival sailing in the not too distant future. :)

Now, if Carnival had suite amenities even approaching that which can be found on Celebrity, Royal, or NCL -- I'd already have one (or more) in my signature !!!

Tom

Really upset that they took away the cheesecake, I don’t eat the appetizers. Just steak and cheesecake! So guess I won’t be going anymore.

Personally never cared for the cheesecake. Like NY style only and Carnival didnt have it at steakhouse.

Glad they have some new dishes for us to try.

Personally never cared for the cheesecake. Like NY style only and Carnival didnt have it at steakhouse.

Although we ate the steakhouse version several times (had it delivered to our cabin at a predetermined time later in the evening... nighttime snack), we much prefer the cheesecake at the dessert/coffee place.

The heavier/creamier/higher fat - the better !! :D

Tom

We will get to try the new menu on the Magic a week from today. Going to miss the Portobello mushroom app, so I'll have to try some new ones. Spice rubbed ribeye remains, so I'm good there. The Chocolate sampler is gone, so I'll have to try the Chocolate Sphere. Have to see what that made at the table dessert is all about. :cool:

Totally off topic but look forward to your Magic review if you do one. It will hold me over as I am counting down till Nov 4th for the Vista. Have planned to go to the steakhouse for the first time ever this cruise so look forward to your take on the changes.

Agreed nothing compares to Junior's traditional NY Cheesecake except maybe the NY Italian style cheese cakes from DeLillo bakery on 187th near Arthur Ave.

Totally off topic but look forward to your Magic review if you do one. It will hold me over as I am counting down till Nov 4th for the Vista. Have planned to go to the steakhouse for the first time ever this cruise so look forward to your take on the changes.

Of course I will be doing a review with plenty of pictures. Doing a B2B on the Magic, then a cruise on the Elation so we won't be back home until late October. Enjoy your cruise on the Vista. :cool:

is a wagyu steak similar to a ribeye?

Ribeye is a cut of steak, Wagyu is a type (like Black Angus is a type/breed).

HERE'S a link which discusses the actual cut in question (Flat Iron steak).

HERE'S some info on Wagyu - where you can decipher the "A5" designation.

Tom

Ribeye is a cut of steak, Wagyu is a type (like Black Angus is a type/breed).

HERE'S a link which discusses the actual cut in question (Flat Iron steak).

HERE'S some info on Wagyu - where you can decipher the "A5" designation.

Tom

thanks, Tom....have never had this before, so before I jump I had better be informed

So many people complaining and refusing to adapt and try new things. Expand you palate you might actually enjoy something new and/or different.

Sent from my iPhone using Forums

Saying that you will miss something from the old menu isn’t “complaining or refusing to adapt.” It’s merely stating a fact. Yes, I will miss the cheesecake. I liked the cheesecake! But the new chocolate sphere thing and the prepared at the table dessert are intriguing. Perhaps I will like them better than the cheesecake, but there is an equal possibility that I will not.

I don’t understand why some people feel the need to put down other people or make scathing remarks simply because the other person likes what has been taken away.

New is not ALWAYS good, and old is not always bad. I think we’ve all seen new things over the years that didn’t work as planned (new Coke, anyone?) and I’m quite sure everyone has, or knows someone who has an old car or appliance that’s still clunking away better than a newer one.

I think we should celebrate our differences instead of trying to make everyone want exactly what we want.

Sent from my iPad using Forums

Saying that you will miss something from the old menu isn’t “complaining or refusing to adapt.” It’s merely stating a fact. Yes, I will miss the cheesecake. I liked the cheesecake! But the new chocolate sphere thing and the prepared at the table dessert are intriguing. Perhaps I will like them better than the cheesecake, but there is an equal possibility that I will not.

Sent from my iPad using Forums

I wasn’t speaking to people like you. I was speaking to the many people that have stated they are canceling their reservation now that the menu has been altered slightly. Most of those people probably aren’t even really booked on a carnival cruise right now or have never cruised to begin with. They are here to bash a brand regardless of what that brand does.

It’s comments like “Walmart of the seas” or “this is why I never sail carnival” I see these all the time on this, the Carnival Cruise message board. If these people hate carnival so much I just don’t understand why they are obsessed with patrolling and finding out everything Carnival does. You can disagree with moves or decisions Carnival makes but you simply can’t ignore the things they add when something is removed. Adding bone marrow & beef tartar, pork belly, and fresh shucked oysters are 100% upgrades to what was removed. You can debate that and I know it’s all opinion but, from a culinary standpoint, they are upgrades. Adding A5 beef is an upgrade. Adding Dover Sole and removing Sea Bass is the humane sustainable option. As for the cheesecake. While many seemed to enjoy it, the sphere and the art at your table seem to be far more intriguing and frankly, less boring, options.

Sent from my iPhone using Forums