Hand washing on cruise ships

froggy9143

On 10/5/2017 at 2:38 AM, froggy9143 said:

I always wonder what the aversion is to washing your hands after using the restroom. I just got off of the Coral Princess and evey time I was in a public restroom the others just walked out after flushing and never washed? I do not want to get sick while on a ship I said something to each person as they were leaving the restroom about washing, All I get back was a snide look or in one case and older person then me 50+ said FU? really I just want to stay healthy, I also notice that on the Coral they was no staff person standing at the entrance of the buffet or dining room making sure people use the Purell. On the other ships there is alway someone there, on the Star you can't get past them in the buffet they will not hand you a plate till you wash/rinse with the purell.

Is it just me thats weird about people washing thier hands? Just touching the door handles in the restrooms and the flusher is enough to make anyone want to wash up.

Your first problem is that you said something to them. Think about it they don't wash their hands then they are not going to listen to you. You are not a figure of authority and it is best to mind your own business and not get involved. Even with one of them telling you where to go you did not get the message. For information if it turned physical then you could both be put off the ship because it is not up to you to police the behaviour of other passengers. You are just another passenger and you need to mind your own business and let the staff deal with it. Don't stress yourself out on holidays worrying about other people.

The non hand washing is just a fact of life. It wont change. When I go on a cruise I avoid the public bathrooms. I always take anti-bacterial wipes with me and everything in my cabin gets wiped down before I touch it from TV remote to air conditioning controls to coat hangers and the drawers I will be using. My system works and has kept me from getting sick on the ship. I also never use the lifts and touch the buttons or rails.

As far as restaurant entrances go I will not use the sanitiser before I enter. I consider it overkill and bugs, bacteria and viruses can become more powerful thanks to that stuff. I always make sure I am well clean and washed when I leave my cabin for the food areas but I will never touch that stuff at the entrance and I will explain to them briefly why when I enter. Like superbugs can grow resistant to antibiotics the same can be said for those gels on the ship. Incidentally the gels at the dining entrances have no effect against norovirus. They will not block or protect your from a virus.

You are not going to escape from dirty people. That is a fact of life. Look at the photo below of a ships galley staff on a food serving line with no gloves on touching his hair!

The best you can do is keep yourself healthy and not worry about others.

2003-02-28-010.jpg

10 hours ago, san diego sue said:

I have seen people leave the restrooms without washing hands. Even if careful and not eating in buffet, how about the handrails

on stairs.

I often use the handrails. I drape my arm over them and use my inner arm for stabilization. I don't use the palm of my hand. Using my inner arm offers total stabilization without ever touching my hand to the railing. It works really well and doesn't cause hand to rail contact. Yes, I do wash my lower arm as well as my hands. It's easy. Those handrails are "super" germ receptacles. Using my inner arm instead of my hand on the rail works great, gives me stability on stairs, and fails to transmit all of those germs to me and to others. Give it a try. It's easy and I don't think I have ever seen anybody else using that technique.

10 hours ago, Brisbane41 said:

Your first problem is that you said something to them. Think about it they don't wash their hands then they are not going to listen to you. You are not a figure of authority and it is best to mind your own business and not get involved. Even with one of them telling you where to go you did not get the message. For information if it turned physical then you could both be put off the ship because it is not up to you to police the behaviour of other passengers. You are just another passenger and you need to mind your own business and let the staff deal with it. Don't stress yourself out on holidays worrying about other people.

The non hand washing is just a fact of life. It wont change. When I go on a cruise I avoid the public bathrooms. I always take anti-bacterial wipes with me and everything in my cabin gets wiped down before I touch it from TV remote to air conditioning controls to coat hangers and the drawers I will be using. My system works and has kept me from getting sick on the ship. I also never use the lifts and touch the buttons or rails.

As far as restaurant entrances go I will not use the sanitiser before I enter. I consider it overkill and bugs, bacteria and viruses can become more powerful thanks to that stuff. I always make sure I am well clean and washed when I leave my cabin for the food areas but I will never touch that stuff at the entrance and I will explain to them briefly why when I enter. Like superbugs can grow resistant to antibiotics the same can be said for those gels on the ship. Incidentally the gels at the dining entrances have no effect against norovirus. They will not block or protect your from a virus.

You are not going to escape from dirty people. That is a fact of life. Look at the photo below of a ships galley staff on a food serving line with no gloves on touching his hair!

The best you can do is keep yourself healthy and not worry about others.

OH my, what an arrogant ....., I always say somthing to people who do not wash, at work at a concert anywhere, you do not need to be a figure of authority to mention it, it puts a thought in their minds that will maybe make them think twice next time. It works on children all the time, just is harder to get into the heads of Adults who think they know it all. enough said.

5 hours ago, Thrak said:

Those handrails are "super" germ receptacles.

Surprisingly, I've read hard surfaces are actually more prone to having pathogens clinging to them. Apparently, porous surfaces seem to "absorb" them a bit.

Seat backs, the table itself, salt shakers - germs are everywhere.

The best anyone can do is clean up the best that you can. Then, keep your hands away from your eye, ears, nose, and mouth.

17 hours ago, Northern Light said:

Unfortunately, crew only does this for a few days and then they give up.  We were on the CB last month and was happy to see the hand washing stations.   One time a group walked right by without either using Purell or the sink to wash hands.   Then I saw the man swipe his nose with his hand.  Called him on it but it was like talking to a brick wall.   Do my best to take sanitizer with me and use it after going thru the Markeplace and before eating.  

When we were on REGAL this summer in the Baltic, I am quite sure a staff member was at each washing station every time I entered the World Market areas.  Doesn't mean they could make everyone comply, but they were there.

11 hours ago, Brisbane41 said:

............As far as restaurant entrances go I will not use the sanitiser before I enter. I consider it overkill and bugs, bacteria and viruses can become more powerful thanks to that stuff.

I'm not agreeing or disagreeing, but I have heard/read there is a theory that we're all making ourselves less able to fight disease because we wash <etc, etc> so often. I remember reading somewhere that parents ought to let there young 'uns "eat a little dirt" now and then to keep their immune system healthy. 🤨

I do agree with you that confronting boors may have bad results....physical altercations have resulted with less provocation.

Doug

• Like 1

21 hours ago, froggy9143 said:

OH my, what an arrogant ....., I always say somthing to people who do not wash, at work at a concert anywhere, you do not need to be a figure of authority to mention it, it puts a thought in their minds that will maybe make them think twice next time. It works on children all the time, just is harder to get into the heads of Adults who think they know it all. enough said.

The problem with you is that by doing that one day it is inevitable you will tick someone off and you will find their fist in your face! Or even worst!

To me that comes across as arrogant. Most people would be thinking "who the hell is this busybody?" "get a life" "get lost!" is the kind of thoughts that would be going through their head. Who are you to tell another human being what to do? That is just the sheep epitome of disrespect, arrogance and is only going to cause trouble for yourself. Nobody likes a busybody who interferes with others.

What I am meaning by all this is that it is just better off to simply mind your own business, don't concern yourself with other people's affairs and ignore it and walk away. I have seen it in the news plenty of times that people have been murdered for not minding their own business. Now that is at the extreme end but still you are nobody to a stranger, you are not their father, mother and it is not your responsibility to control what others do. People resent that sort of disgraceful behaviour.

If it is something serious like someone in imminent danger then you warn them of course, but involving yourself in trivial mundane day-to-day life things is only going to tick people off in a big way.

I would bet that if you would be the type of person to be kicked off a cruise ship in no time if someone started an altercation with you for daring to involve yourself in their affairs.

I am not saying that other peoples behaviour is right or wrong. Just you cannot go around telling other people what to do.

15 hours ago, Brisbane41 said:

The problem with you is that by doing that one day it is inevitable you will tick someone off and you will find their fist in your face! Or even worst!

To me that comes across as arrogant. Most people would be thinking "who the hell is this busybody?" "get a life" "get lost!" is the kind of thoughts that would be going through their head. Who are you to tell another human being what to do? That is just the sheep epitome of disrespect, arrogance and is only going to cause trouble for yourself. Nobody likes a busybody who interferes with others.

What I am meaning by all this is that it is just better off to simply mind your own business, don't concern yourself with other people's affairs and ignore it and walk away. I have seen it in the news plenty of times that people have been murdered for not minding their own business. Now that is at the extreme end but still you are nobody to a stranger, you are not their father, mother and it is not your responsibility to control what others do. People resent that sort of disgraceful behaviour.

If it is something serious like someone in imminent danger then you warn them of course, but involving yourself in trivial mundane day-to-day life things is only going to tick people off in a big way.

I would bet that if you would be the type of person to be kicked off a cruise ship in no time if someone started an altercation with you for daring to involve yourself in their affairs.

I am not saying that other peoples behaviour is right or wrong. Just you cannot go around telling other people what to do.

There is a lot of common sense here. 

I'm a complete newbie with cruising. In fact, we are planning our first.

But, many people, on holiday, tend to drink a lot. Alcohol relaxes people and lowers their inhibitions. It can also heighten aggression. Behaviors can be unpredictable. Some people may believe they can tell others how to act. Others feel they can deck said people.

If one is appalled at someone else's behavior, and feels something needs to be done, it would be wiser to bring it to the attention of someone in authority. 

22 minutes ago, Curt1591 said:

There is a lot of common sense here. 

I'm a complete newbie with cruising. In fact, we are planning our first.

But, many people, on holiday, tend to drink a lot. Alcohol relaxes people and lowers their inhibitions. It can also heighten aggression. Behaviors can be unpredictable. Some people may believe they can tell others how to act. Others feel they can deck said people.

If one is appalled at someone else's behavior, and feels something needs to be done, it would be wiser to bring it to the attention of someone in authority. 

Absolutely true about behaviour of other people.

I am involved with the tourist and transport industry and mainly to deal with tour coaches. However the company does have government contracts where they can do a passenger service bus, school runs, concerts, charters etc. I hear about it all the time how it only takes one comment to be taken the wrong way, found to be offensive or out of line for that one person to take a swing and hit someone. The busybody people may have a good run doing what they do by interfering but sooner or later it is going to catch up with them. Sadly with certain societies trying to legalise what was illicit drug use were people can take psycho-stimulant/hallucinogenic drugs now you never know the demeanour of the person you are dealing with.

People who don't wash hands are the rebels of society and conformity. They have already broken those rules so to speak to breaking other rules would not be out of character for them. They would have no conscious at all just to mouth off at someone for telling them what to do or even take a swing at them.

On 10/9/2019 at 10:35 PM, Thrak said:

I often use the handrails. I drape my arm over them and use my inner arm for stabilization. I don't use the palm of my hand. Using my inner arm offers total stabilization without ever touching my hand to the railing. It works really well and doesn't cause hand to rail contact. Yes, I do wash my lower arm as well as my hands. It's easy. Those handrails are "super" germ receptacles. Using my inner arm instead of my hand on the rail works great, gives me stability on stairs, and fails to transmit all of those germs to me and to others. Give it a try. It's easy and I don't think I have ever seen anybody else using that technique.

haha, that’s my technique exactly.   Here I thought I was the only one 😀

On 10/11/2019 at 8:39 PM, Brisbane41 said:

Absolutely true about behaviour of other people.

I am involved with the tourist and transport industry and mainly to deal with tour coaches. However the company does have government contracts where they can do a passenger service bus, school runs, concerts, charters etc. I hear about it all the time how it only takes one comment to be taken the wrong way, found to be offensive or out of line for that one person to take a swing and hit someone. The busybody people may have a good run doing what they do by interfering but sooner or later it is going to catch up with them. Sadly with certain societies trying to legalise what was illicit drug use were people can take psycho-stimulant/hallucinogenic drugs now you never know the demeanour of the person you are dealing with.

People who don't wash hands are the rebels of society and conformity. They have already broken those rules so to speak to breaking other rules would not be out of character for them. They would have no conscious at all just to mouth off at someone for telling them what to do or even take a swing at them.

I try to avoid washing my hands at public sinks.  I prefer to use hand sanitizer which I carry in my purse.  I cannot imagine anything less sanitary than standing water from people who have just washed their hands after using the toilet.  Call me crazy.

I am not sure where you are finding the standing water in sinks. It appears the sinks are not draining correctly.  On our recent Sapphire cruise no one was standing at the entrance to the HC or checking for the use of hand sanitizer or washing hands.  I seldom eat at the HC/WFM for the reasons mentioned here.  I try to use the MDR or room service.  I wash my hands before going to the MDR and keep my hands in my pocket not touching anything.  I really do not like the hand sanitizer and have little confidence in it from what I have read.  Need to use the lifts, then hit the buttons with a knuckle.  Using the stairways then keep your hands off the railings.  I have often threatened to wear gloves when I enter the HC/MDR.  I wonder what they would say but would not protect me from those who insist on reaching in are touching the plates with the food on them. 

• 1 month later...

While handwashing is indeed the best defense, how many common contact surfaces do you touch after you wash your hands and before you pop that roll into your mouth?

Food ladles, beverage dispenser handles, the menu, the bottom of your chair as you pulled it in, the salt/pepper shakers, the table top itself? Was the table preset with drinking glasses/cups placed upside down on the table surface?  If so, take a few moments to see how the tables have been cleaned in between diners.  I've sat and watched the crew take a used cloth napkin and wipe the table with it and then reset the table with the drinkware upside down on the table.

Sure, wash your hands, but carry a little container of sanitizer in your pocket or purse and use it just before you start your meal.

45 plus cruises, ranging from 7 to 49 nights,  so far totaling almost a year and a half at sea and by following my own advice I've never, ever been sick on a cruise.

All you need to do is break the chain of contamination.

55 minutes ago, SargassoPirate said:

45 plus cruises, ranging from 7 to 49 nights,  so far totaling almost a year and a half at sea and by following my own advice I've never, ever been sick on a cruise.

Other than hand washing we've never gotten sick (other than a cold) on any of our dozens of cruises yet. 

Lucky? Perhaps, but many people over do their concerns about the noro virus.

Most of you probably ain't going to like this, but imvho we are too clean nowadays. Everywhere you go, wash your hands, don't cough, don't sneeze, eat organic. The problem being when we do pick up a bug, we have nothing in our bodies to fight it, because we are not used to a little bit of good old fashioned 'muck' inside us.

My grandparents probably never heard of noro, salmonella etc., and they had on outside toilet and one cold water tap in the house. Old gramps never missed a days work in his life.

• Like 3

On 10/6/2019 at 9:41 PM, Roberto256 said:

Why not wear disposable 'examination' gloves as you go thorough the line, and discard them prior to eating?

After reading this thread, I've cancelled my dinner suit and have ordered a space suit......

Image result for nasa space suit"

Edited by Trevor Fountain
typo
  • Haha 1

There is no way to fix the village idiots that don't have any good hygiene habits.  You can only do the best possible defensive tactics along with frequent hand washing.  Nothing can spoil a voyage faster than contacting norovirus and being quarantined to your cabin for the duration.

No matter what, each individual has to decide for themselves how much their hygiene habits affect themselves. There no amount of criticism that will change their opinion or their actions. 

If others sailing with them feel it necessary to take precautions against the spread of bacteria, let them take the appropriate actions to keep themselves safe. 

• 1 month later...

Just got back from our first cruise, it was a short hop (3 nights) to test my wife's sensitivity to the motion. 

In preparation, I did a bit of research. I was amazed with the concern over Norovirus. With the exception of some one possibly contaminating food at the buffet, I assumed that it wasn't the biggest health threat. I feel my assumption was validated.

Living is Asia, colds, flu, and the up and coming corovirus, were our concern. Our biggest threat came from all the coughing coming from everyone, everywhere. It was like we were visiting a tuberculosis ward! Much of the time we wore masks. We are used to wearing them. 

Guess what? I picked up a minor cold!

8 hours ago, Curt1591 said:

Just got back from our first cruise, it was a short hop (3 nights) to test my wife's sensitivity to the motion. 

In preparation, I did a bit of research. I was amazed with the concern over Norovirus. With the exception of some one possibly contaminating food at the buffet, I assumed that it wasn't the biggest health threat. I feel my assumption was validated.

Living is Asia, colds, flu, and the up and coming corovirus, were our concern. Our biggest threat came from all the coughing coming from everyone, everywhere. It was like we were visiting a tuberculosis ward! Much of the time we wore masks. We are used to wearing them. 

Guess what? I picked up a minor cold!

I wonder sometimes if it's the exposure to entirely different germs that makes you more susceptible on cruise ships, even forgetting Noro for a minute.

NY subways are probably the most germ ridden, unsanitary places on Earth. As one who commuted daily on the subway and did my best to avoid touching railings, poles, stair rails, etc., sometimes it was unavoidable. Climbing the equivalent of 3-4 flights of stairs to get to the surface without using the handrail while moving at a decent pace is not always easy..... and I don't have the balance of a skateboarder to plant my feet while in a moving train in such a way to avoid holding the pole.  I was exposed to a ridiculous amount of germs, and even washing my hands as soon as I got to work probably didn't help me get the germs off my winter gloves, or my shoes which walked the filthy subway platforms.

That being said, I never once got sick from any source.... until halfway through my first cruise.  It was a nasty cold and nothing to do with Noro, but I thought it was strange to go from regular exposure to a cesspool of germs,  into a newly experienced sanitized environment in order to get sick!

Edited by vjmatty