Princess new unlimited internet

antsp

Based on this thread and the things that I have read on other thread, seen on the Princess web site and on my TA's web site, I have come to realize that these storms have really caused all the Cruise Lines some real issues, especially with their COMMUNICATION. The key to any business is COMMUNICATION. It appears that Princess rolled out a "new" program without complete and detailed communication with passengers; they rolled it out on one ship but made no mention of it on their web site or even direct communication with the passengers it would affect. Then all the hurricane itinerary changes and the mis-communications about that: Princess web site as of this morning states that all port calls to St. Thomas have been cancelled through November; last week the itinerary on their web site had already changed St. Thomas to St. Croix however, if you keep reading the new notice, there is a list of ports "still under assessment" and St. Croix is one of those. Confusing! And this isn't just Princess: Royal Caribbean has a change of itinerary for our Jan 2018 cruise, on one part of their web site, but the itinerary remains the same on another page and if you go to do a booking for the same cruise, the itinerary is the original.

I can't imagine what every department of each cruise line is going through but maybe keeping the passenger community informed with correct information should be a priority and would be most appreciated.

I paid $69 for 120 minutes of which I really only got about 40 minutes of use out of. Terrible connection and horribly over priced. If I didn't have to check in on my messages due to some business/family things going on I would have just skipped altogether. Next Princess cruise, I definitely will.

If I get to keep my free internet minutes thats great. I don't need more than what I get as I only use them to check-in at home etc. I find enough free internet in the ports, just follow the crew:D. I also find that there are Starbucks in most ports now so enjoying a latte and checking my emails are another option.

I go to relax and enjoy the cruise......lol

:)

Princess posted this on their Facebook page about an hour ago in response to a question about losing the free Platinum/Elite internet minutes.

We regret that there is misinformation about the new internet packages being trialed on Grand Princess. When the program rolls out fleetwide, guests with Platinum or Elite internet minutes will have three options upon first sign on:

1) Activate their existing minutes, just as before;

2) Upgrade to a package with a larger number of minutes, just as before; or

3) Upgrade to one of the new unlimited packages at a reduced rate, which is what you're describing.

Any Platinum or Elite guests who chooses option 1 or 2 will still be able to access any site they were able to before the new packages rolled out, they are not limited to just the "Social" tier.

As we've said, since this is a trial, there have been a few bugs to work out, and we've heard from our shipboard teams that there were some issues with access to certain websites for Platinum and Elite guests, which I believe is where this rumor is coming from. We hope that helps, and assure you we very much do value our loyal guests.

Can someone help me out regarding Princess Facebook page. When it comes to understanding Facebook, MyI knowledge is limited. Where do you go on Facebook to see Princess comments? I tried searching and only came up with user groups and folks posting pictures. Any help would be appreciated.

:)

Can someone help me out regarding Princess Facebook page. When it comes to understanding Facebook, MyI knowledge is limited. Where do you go on Facebook to see Princess comments? I tried searching and only came up with user groups and folks posting pictures. Any help would be appreciated.

If you searched on FB for "Princess Cruises", it comes right back at top of the page.

Here you go: https://www.facebook.com/PrincessCruises/ :)

Glad to know that there are still options. AND, it sort of is confirmed on the Princess Website when you login and choose Onboard Reservations, then pick Internet Access, the package is the old version of buying in minutes. We're 5 days from sailing on the Grand and nothing on the site shows an option for unlimited.

This looks like it is mostly an Elite/Platinum discussion, but we are neither (2nd Princess sailing) and I just purchased the 120 min for $69 package for the Oct 15 sailing of the Grand. DH needs it to check into work and family daily and it keeps him happy, which keeps me happy and free to go about my carefree ways! We're both IT professionals, so we understand bandwidth issues, peak time slowdowns, etc and the maximum internet package was still well worth it during our 15 day Panama Canal cruise last March.

But I find this new development confusing. Will I get to keep the package I just bought, or be forced to trade if for something that I have to pay for every day? My account info says I can cancel the current package up to 72 hours before the trip, which I'm now tempted to do. $70 to keep DH happy for the two sea days is well worth it, but NOT being forced to pay for every day, whether we use it or not.

As for Social Media...I don't care about posting to, or reading, Facebook when onboard, however it, and Google (along with others), both have very good apps for placing voice calls. I kept up with my daughter during her 4 month worldwide adventure several years ago with her just calling through Facebook Messenger. It was totally free when she had wifi and the quality was superior to usual cellular calls - heck even from a beach bar in Thailand! So I would do the Social Media option if you could use FB Messenger or Google Hangouts for texting or to make phone calls! I wouldn't pay for it during next week's port intensive trip, but for more sea days, it might be worthwhile.

Has anyone heard of any plans by Princess to upgrade internet services on all of their ships. With all of the streaming that will be going on, it will make the system very slow.....:eek::eek::eek:

Well Carnival have announced that MedallionNet will provide guests with easy-to-access Wi-Fi that features exceptional speeds and bandwidth, pervasive stateroom signal strength and unprecedented service consistency.

Sandra

Well Carnival have announced that MedallionNet will provide guests with easy-to-access Wi-Fi that features exceptional speeds and bandwidth, pervasive stateroom signal strength and unprecedented service consistency.

Sandra

So has the Grand even made it to the list for the roll out for the Ocean Medallion yet? I haven't seen it on any of the releases so why would it have MedallionNet installed?

Sandra

Thanks for the information. I hadn't heard that yet.....:):):)

Bob

So has the Grand even made it to the list for the roll out for the Ocean Medallion yet? I haven't seen it on any of the releases so why would it have MedallionNet installed?
That was why I was questioning the use of the Grand for the trial. In anticipation of Ocean Medallion cruises and MedallionNet a number of additional antennas to expand internet capability were added to ships such as the Royal, Regal and Caribbean during their recent drydocks. Hadn't heard of this being done to the Grand.

It may be a dream. With something like this, it's always best to wait for a few additional

confirmations from other posters.

For some reason, I'm reminded of the claim that embarcation dining room lunch was for

only club class passengers -- which after a lot of teeth gnashing -- turned out to not be true.

It seems strange that something like this would happen first on an old ship like Grand...

Happy now Pam has posted this info, how does the saying go `don't shoot the messanger` but you did. :D:D

Happy now Pam has posted this info, how does the saying go `don't shoot the messanger` but you did. :D:D

I am much more inclined to believe Pam than you,

What I posted previously was that it was better to wait for more correspondents.

This turned out to be a good idea, as what you posted was basically wrong.

What I posted previously was that it was better to wait for more correspondents.

I would agree, based on reading many postings over time. But, no one is 100% perfect, and that includes Pam. Although to be off-base the odd time after 40K+ posts isn't anything to be concerned about.

It was correct as I reported it from images from the Grand Princess, glad to see you made an apology.

It was correct as I reported it from images from the Grand Princess, glad to see you made an apology.

You continuing to follow up after saying that you would not is one reason

others' posts are more believable.

I think that we all can agree that the current notice that Pam has posted indicates that Loyal Princess cruisers will keep their free minutes and that's a good thing. Now, antsp, say something nice about pablo222 and pablo222, say something nice about antsp. Hopefully the two of you will sail the same Princess ship sometime in the future and will be able to have drinks together and laugh about this little misunderstanding. :D :D

Has anyone personally experienced a "Faster Internet Experience" on any Princess ship? If so, do you have any speed test results? How reliable was it etc ? What are your thoughts on it?

If it's the same old slow-n-stupid connection capping premium data usage to 500MB per day is a joke. I doubt you could even download 500MB in a week.

Has anyone personally experienced a "Faster Internet Experience" on any Princess ship? If so, do you have any speed test results? How reliable was it etc ? What are your thoughts on it?

If it's the same old slow-n-stupid connection capping premium data usage to 500MB per day is a joke. I doubt you could even download 500MB in a week.

This! Has anyone been able to confirm that the superior experience is just that? I suppose I would probably purchase one day to validate if it is worth it instead of paying for the whole week until we know if it is really a good experience or not.