Princess new unlimited internet

antsp

Yes, Princess has the right to change terms and conditions.

They do but within reason and with reasonable notice. Lately, most airlines give at least a year's notice before making negative changes to frequent flyer programs. Why? Because tickets can at most be booked 11 months out and by giving a year's notice, no one can claim they bought a ticket expecting a promised FF benefit that was no longer offered.

But Princess continues to tell us that Internet minutes are a benefit even when at least this week on Grand, they weren't. A passenger could legitimately make a case that since it was advertised, they considered it part of their cruise contract (not withstanding any claim otherwise in the actual contract since that is what's called an "adhesion contract").

Now perhaps it was their intention that the P/E minutes would still be available but something got lost in implementation (we've all seen the disconnect between what landside cruise employees tell us and how things actually happen on the ships). Or it was implemented as intended without running by Marketing to make sure it fit with what Marketing is telling customers.

I'll disagree about Princess not caring about what customers have done in the past. Any business that assumes there is an unlimited supply of new customers is making a serious mistake. There aren't an unlimited supply and a past customer is easier to get to give additional business than a completely new customer. You could even argue that the loyalty benefit reflect the lower marketing costs Princess incurs getting a past customer to cruise again than having to find a new customer.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

So true....imagine getting on a ship for 10 days thinking you have 250 minutes each....and end up with a bill to be able to use them! A 149.90 surprise!

Or 80 days, for an additional $1200. That would put a quick end to publishing blog posts! I’m not stressing it though. Too many unknowns and too many other things to stress right now.

They haven't actually rolled out the program yet - it's being tested on one ship. Why would they make an announcement if it's still being worked out?

And if there's no change to Platinum and Elite benefits, how is that a reduction in your benefits?

It would have been a nice gesture to notify the Platinums and Elites who are scheduled to board the Grand within days of this change. Shame on Princess for allowing us to read this news on Cruise Critic and to have to grovel for details about the change.

I think Princess, and Carnival Corp, misjudged when testing the new Internet packages and pricing by not taking into account the demographics of the passengers. Platinum/Elite perks is one major issue but my guess is that while Princess would love to lower the average age of its passengers, the reality is that most of the people I know who cruise do not spend 100% of their Internet time on social media. They email and text. Perhaps they feel the demographics of Princess passengers can better afford a high price.

IMHO, this is a major misstep that will hopefully be adjusted or corrected. With regards to the Platinum/Elite Internet perk, they are angering literally millions of loyal customers. We used to get unlimited Internet, then it was reduced to minutes (which I could live with) and now they’re limiting Internet access to FB and Twitter.

They do but within reason and with reasonable notice. Lately, most airlines give at least a year's notice before making negative changes to frequent flyer programs. Why? Because tickets can at most be booked 11 months out and by giving a year's notice, no one can claim they bought a ticket expecting a promised FF benefit that was no longer offered.

But Princess continues to tell us that Internet minutes are a benefit even when at least this week on Grand, they weren't. A passenger could legitimately make a case that since it was advertised, they considered it part of their cruise contract (not withstanding any claim otherwise in the actual contract since that is what's called an "adhesion contract").

Now perhaps it was their intention that the P/E minutes would still be available but something got lost in implementation (we've all seen the disconnect between what landside cruise employees tell us and how things actually happen on the ships). Or it was implemented as intended without running by Marketing to make sure it fit with what Marketing is telling customers.

I'll disagree about Princess not caring about what customers have done in the past. Any business that assumes there is an unlimited supply of new customers is making a serious mistake. There aren't an unlimited supply and a past customer is easier to get to give additional business than a completely new customer. You could even argue that the loyalty benefit reflect the lower marketing costs Princess incurs getting a past customer to cruise again than having to find a new customer.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

I totally agree! I was just responding to the poster saying the have the right to change terms....not saying it is sound business. This roll out test really needed better handling.

USA hotels may charge for Wifi access but I never pay for it in other countries.

Annie

We stay in Comfort Inns/Best Western hotels/motels and they do not charge for WiFi, at least as of our last stay in April 2017. Hotels have charged for WiFi for some time, in our limited experience.

I find it interesting that posters look like they read the first page then hit respond and not read 'some' of the posts... Right now this is so new and lots of confusion - even when I called Princess Customer relations this morning. From what I have been able to learn AND its still not for 100% sure BUT will be cleared up very soon.

Looks like the Platinum & Elite will be able to keep and use their FREE min HOWEVER if they want to trade them in and get the Premium package on day 1, they can... Is this 100% accurate - not sure yet...

Keep reading here and READ the latest post to learn NOT just the first page.

I am with all of you... I have 22 cruises with Princess and keep coming back because of the ships AND the perks... I do NOT want unlimited - just enough min to ONLY check email... I cruise to get away and relax NOT spend all my time on the internet.. Hey,, what am I doing here, LOL

I think Princess, and Carnival Corp, misjudged when testing the new Internet packages and pricing by not taking into account the demographics of the passengers. Platinum/Elite perks is one major issue but my guess is that while Princess would love to lower the average age of its passengers, the reality is that most of the people I know who cruise do not spend 100% of their Internet time on social media. They email and text. Perhaps they feel the demographics of Princess passengers can better afford a high price.

IMHO, this is a major misstep that will hopefully be adjusted or corrected. With regards to the Platinum/Elite Internet perk, they are angering literally millions of loyal customers. We used to get unlimited Internet, then it was reduced to minutes (which I could live with) and now they’re limiting Internet access to FB and Twitter.

Couldn’t agree more. I like to make a quick live from post on here, send a quick email and call it a day. 150 minutes in 7 Days is always more than enough and I’m happy with that.

We stay in Comfort Inns/Best Western hotels/motels and they do not charge for WiFi, at least as of our last stay in April 2017. Hotels have charged for WiFi for some time, in our limited experience.

It may be standard practice in the USA but outside of that country - JME - rarely. They would lose business.

Annie

Just received the below to another question I posted on the Princess FB page.

Hi, Robert. We regret that there is misinformation about the new internet packages being trialed on Grand Princess. When the program rolls out fleetwide, guests with Platinum or Elite internet minutes will have three options upon first sign on:

1) Activate their existing minutes, just as before;

2) Upgrade to a package with a larger number of minutes, just as before; or

3) Upgrade to one of the new unlimited packages at a reduced rate, which is what you're describing.

Any Platinum or Elite guests who chooses option 1 or 2 will still be able to access any site they were able to before the new packages rolled out, they are not limited to just the "Social" tier.

As we've said, since this is a trial, there have been a few bugs to work out, and we've heard from our shipboard teams that there were some issues with access to certain websites for Platinum and Elite guests, which I believe is where this rumor is coming from. We hope that helps, and assure you we very much do value our loyal guests.

Bob

Princess posted this on their Facebook page about an hour ago in response to a question about losing the free Platinum/Elite internet minutes.

We regret that there is misinformation about the new internet packages being trialed on Grand Princess. When the program rolls out fleetwide, guests with Platinum or Elite internet minutes will have three options upon first sign on:

3) Upgrade to one of the new unlimited packages at a reduced rate, which is what you're describing.

Any Platinum or Elite guests who chooses option 1 or 2 will still be able to access any site they were able to before the new packages rolled out, they are not limited to just the "Social" tier.

As we've said, since this is a trial, there have been a few bugs to work out, and we've heard from our shipboard teams that there were some issues with access to certain websites for Platinum and Elite guests, which I believe is where this rumor is coming from. We hope that helps, and assure you we very much do value our loyal guests.

+1

Srpilo

Hi, Robert. We regret that there is misinformation about the new internet packages being trialed on Grand Princess. When the program rolls out fleetwide, guests with Platinum or Elite internet minutes will have three options upon first sign on:

Bob

Thanks Bob for this post. Could you do us all a favor and ask the Princess Facebook person to come onto Cruise Critic and explain this to everyone. Not every person in the world uses Facebook. Thanks so much!!

I have read thru most of these posts and I think post #101 has it... AND I just got off the phone with a long talk with Princess who put me on hold and did some research - pretty much they are in the dark, kinda hard to believe but she tried. and it LOOKS like the free Platium/Elite will stay the same and

IF

You want to trade in your free min on the FIRST day - you can get the Unlimited package at the social price of $14.95 a day - OR just keep your FREE min...

I am hoping that is the case and it does make more sense - all this will work out very soon... here is a picture of the flyer on the Grand from 10-5-2017

princess_cropped_internet.jpg

This is exactly what the CustomerRelations person just told me (he was calling on two unrelated problems, a missing hyperlink for one of my bookings, and only 1 cruise credit for sailing in Penthouse suite in Mar 2019). There was a software upgrade over the weekend as a prior screen print showed 2 cruise credits. He said that as an Elite that I could just use my exisiting minutes. I asked him to send it to me in writing, he said no. I asked if they could communicate this information to the Internet Manager and Purser's Desk on the Grand and he said he was sure this was going to happen as we speak. We shall see when we board on 10/15.

Bob comes through for us. Thank you Bob! Naive or not, I am choosing to trust that Princess won’t take that perk away on our upcoming cruises on the Golden. But, honestly, this is a PR nightmare for Princess. Whether it’s because of their own ineptitude or CC’s doing, I’m not certain.

The post by Princess on their page is a bit of BS. Yes, there’s been misinformation but that happened onboard. Blame it on the passengers, Princess. Good job. From the reports, none of this was made clear to the passengers onboard. I could be wrong but I suspect this is the case. Otherwise, people would be reporting that when they initially signed onto the Internet, they would have seen the three options. Too bad no one has posted a screenshot of the initial sign-in page.

Let’s hope that the assumption of platinum and elite internet loss is wrong

No doubt! Would be very disappointed if we lose this perk on our 15 day Hawaii cruise in January!

I guess I should have read more of the posts on this thread :) Glad that the free minutes is not going away. The 500 total minutes we get for our next cruise will be more than enough for what we do while on a cruise.

My travel agent contacted Princess this morning and of course they knew nothing about the changes. Luckily my agent has some of her staff currently on board so contacted them. It sounds like it should all be cleared up with this sailing. Platinum and Elite can get their free minutes.

Bob

Agreed - Pretty much exactly what I said in an earlier post and with my phone call to Princess this morning.. Platinum/Elite will stay the very same with an 'Option' IF they choose to take it... and I am fine with that..

I don't know if CC mgmt will help us lobby Princess as they seem to favor RCL/Celebrity in their cruise selling promotions on that side of their business.

If we Platinums and Elites get to use our free minutes and then still need Internet for the remainder of a long cruise, I hope we can purchase by the day part way along.

I guess we all need to post on Princess' FB page and tell them we aren't happy and we don't use FB while on a cruise. Also email customer relations. And Jan I suppose.

As some are thinking, hopefully saner heads will prevail and make changes to this poor program.

The idea is okay, but email should be a basic service. And the price is nuts - especially for longer cruises.

I don't know if CC mgmt will help us lobby Princess as they seem to favor RCL/Celebrity in their cruise selling promotions on that side of their business.

If we Platinums and Elites get to use our free minutes and then still need Internet for the remainder of a long cruise, I hope we can purchase by the day part way along.

I guess we all need to post on Princess' FB page and tell them we aren't happy and we don't use FB while on a cruise. Also email customer relations. And Jan I suppose.

As some are thinking, hopefully saner heads will prevail and make changes to this poor program.

The idea is okay, but email should be a basic service. And the price is nuts - especially for longer cruises.

If our free minutes are left alone - then what is it we need to 'Lobby' about???? This just started and from what I am gleaming - Use your free min and at the end IF you want to by more ' just like before' --- buy them,....

IF You want to exchange your FREE min for the UNLIMITED at the $14.95 a day - do that on day one... for ME - my free is just enough to check needed emails - I do NOT need unlimited - I came on the ship to relax and enjoy...

So, if what I am learning at this VERY EARLY STAGE - I am very happy... Time will tell

If you contact Princess or email or post on FB - what are you Not happy about - given 'todays' understanding?

I agree we need to Protest - but lets Make sure what we are Protesting.

Edited by Harley0711

No doubt! Would be very disappointed if we lose this perk on our 15 day Hawaii cruise in January!

I guess I should have read more of the posts on this thread :) Glad that the free minutes is not going away. The 500 total minutes we get for our next cruise will be more than enough for what we do while on a cruise.

We expect to continue getting our minutes and enjoying them while going to Hawaii in Jan.

In post #86 I pointed out that P&O had the new package system and had retained the 'by the minute' option, but others insisted that Princess Facebook representatives had informed them that that option was no longer offered. It makes sense to keep the existing "by the minute' scheme and add packages for the always connected SM crowd. Lets hope they have the capacity to make it work.