Princess new unlimited internet

antsp

I’ve seen the flyer from the Grand and from what I could tell, the $14.99/day is just a social media package. No email. There’s a mid package what includes email. The $29.99/day is unlimited everything.

I’ve been told privately that the Platinum/Elite perk is to be able to get the $29.99/day package for “only” $14.99/day that you would pay. In other words, you’d have a credit that could be used towards paying for the unlimited. You’d have to sign up the first day to get the credit. Have no idea if this is correct or not or whether the Platinum/Elite perk includes just the social media package. If it is, I’ll be pissed. Having to pay extra just to email or go to a website doesn’t sound like a perk to me.

Hopefully, someone on the Grand can clarify.

Carnival Corporation which has 10 different cruise lines including Princess is upgrading their internet service on their ships. Here is an article about the upgraded service:

https://www.marinelink.com/news/carnival-internet-service380107

This article is from 2014... I wonder if there is a website that would give status of the upgrade for the various ships...?

After spending much frustrated time perched in the doorway of the Internet cafe on the Crown last month, attempting to stay connected to answer work emails, my new motto is:

I can afford to cruise. But I can’t afford not to have internet.

I think princess is sadly missing out on the younger demographic that can travel but still have to work!

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

I’ve seen the flyer from the Grand and from what I could tell, the $14.99/day is just a social media package. No email. There’s a mid package what includes email. The $29.99/day is unlimited everything.

I’ve been told privately that the Platinum/Elite perk is to be able to get the $29.99/day package for “only” $14.99/day that you would pay. In other words, you’d have a credit that could be used towards paying for the unlimited. You’d have to sign up the first day to get the credit. Have no idea if this is correct or not or whether the Platinum/Elite perk includes just the social media package. If it is, I’ll be pissed. Having to pay extra just to email or go to a website doesn’t sound like a perk to me.

Hopefully, someone on the Grand can clarify.

So they're saying that you can only buy the package for the whole cruise at $14.99 per day. At first I thought you could buy it by the day.

It may be a dream. With something like this, it's always best to wait for a few additional

confirmations from other posters.

For some reason, I'm reminded of the claim that embarcation dining room lunch was for

only club class passengers -- which after a lot of teeth gnashing -- turned out to not be true.

It seems strange that something like this would happen first on an old ship like Grand...

Join the Facebook group and look at the images posted from tithe internet cafe

This is going to get interesting. I can think of lots of complications: Will the current Platinum benefit be discontinued? (There goes a huge incentive to stay with Princess). Will special pricing only be available via pre-pays, creating another 'can't use my OBC issue'? E-Mail vs websites? How are they going to do that? Many Mail services are thru generic websites, so how will they tell what is mail and what is surf? if you fill out a prompt with your email address, maybe that does it? But many sites ask for your address, and they are not Mail services. I don't want to be connected to the world 24/7, will any VP at Princess believe me when I say that?

Sent from my iPad using Forums

Join the Facebook group and look at the images posted from tithe internet cafe

Everything on Facebook is certainly true.

Like many things on cc, it's never a good idea to believe a single poster.

I'm happy to wait for additional correspondents.

Regardless, Grand is too old for me.

I’m not sure I could stand the total euphoria. Streaming Netflix on a cruise ship? Maybe too much of a good thing is too much, but I’d love to see for myself.

I know it's not the same as streaming, but Netflix allows you to download things to your device and watch later, when not connected. I used it during our last cruise.

I don't see it affecting how we receive and use our Elite minutes since they are a quantified amount of free internet .. When our minutes are gone there gone.

Definitely not the same as being logged on to email account all day and receiving emails in real time. The paltry 250 minutes will now pale in comparison to those onboard who buy the unlimited.

Kinds takes the luster off one of our big perks doesn't it.....

Srpilo

This is the description of the packages in Carnival. I am not certain if the Princess packages will have the same options but it appears that they will be more expensive :confused:

Carnival’s Internet plans include:

Social ($5 USD per day)* – Offers access to sites such as Facebook, Twitter, Instagram, Pinterest, Linkedin, Facebook Messenger, WhatsApp, SnapChat and popular airline websites. Note: Plan does not include in-app calling, Facetime, iMessage or access to any other sites or apps.**

Value ($16 USD per day)* – Provides access to a wide variety of sites and apps, including social media, e-mail, news, sports, weather, banking and more. Note: Does not support Skype calling or music streaming services such as Spotify.

Premium ($25 USD per day)* – Promises the fastest possible connection and includes access to all websites and apps, including some streaming video services.

Discounts are provided when purchasing a plan for the full duration of the voyage.

* Prices are subject to change without prior notice and may vary from ship to ship.

** Daily social plans are currently not available on the Carnival Glory, Carnival Inspiration and Carnival Triumph.

Guests can upgrade from one plan to another and can use multiple devices per plan, including their smart phone, laptop or shipboard Internet cafe but only one device can be used at a time. Cellular-network-dependent Wi-Fi Calling and Facetime services are not supported.

We just returned from an RCI cruise (Princess didn't offer the itinerary we wanted including Venice for our travel dates) and I bought two days of their unlimited internet on our last two sea days. They have one package for 'surf' and another for 'surf and stream' that often wasn't recommended on the RCI board. The cost also depended on the number of devices you wanted to connect, however you could handoff between your own phone and and iPad... just not be connected to both at the same time.
We tried Royal Caribbean and that kind of moneygrabbingupsell was part of why we're sailing on Princess next time.

I sure hope some bean counter hasn't messed up the Princess offerings, especially for those of us who have some brand loyalty.

I know it's not the same as streaming, but Netflix allows you to download things to your device and watch later, when not connected. I used it during our last cruise.

Do you recall how long you were able to view the videos? I’ve read just 24 hours, but am hoping that’s not correct.

Bring back the unlimited "free" internet for suite perks, please.

Agree, but remember why we lost it. It was reportedly lost because some suite passengers were allowing friends in other staterooms to use their logon details. Seems to me that, unless they find a way of stopping people sharing their package, they will have similar problems with any unlimited use package.

FWIW, I have just looked at the pre-booking options available through, Cruise Personaliser, for our December Caribbean Princess cruise and the internet packages on offer are all 'minutes connected' deals and no unlimited deal is on offer.

Think I will believe it when I see it actually appears, though to be honest, we find that our 500 minutes (2 Elite/Platinum packages), plus our (almost) worldwide 4G roaming deal (when in port) is sufficient for us on a 15 day cruise, though it would be nice to get our (unlimited use) suite package back.

Also, one thing that folks are missing out on, in their understanding of unlimited internet access, is that, while cruise lines may increase the available bandwidth substantially, they cannot change the fact that everyone is having to share a limited bandwidth and whilst the ship may have multiple satellite connections, if more than a few people decide to use Netflix, then the response time will drop to the point that streaming is no longer possible. (We see the effect of multiple users streaming all the time in marinas in France where, despite the marina Wi-Fi service using broadband landlines, the system quickly becomes unusable during summer evenings, when crews of visiting yachts all try to use Skype to speak to their families, and we find ourselves having to use our 4G links, even for non-streaming use, just to get a decent service).

Edited by Corfe Mixture

This article is from 2014... I wonder if there is a website that would give status of the upgrade for the various ships...?

After spending much frustrated time perched in the doorway of the Internet cafe on the Crown last month, attempting to stay connected to answer work emails, my new motto is:

I can afford to cruise. But I can’t afford not to have internet.

I think princess is sadly missing out on the younger demographic that can travel but still have to work!

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

Updated article on Carnival Corp WiFi upgrade. Article says that Carnival will make further announcements later this year but does partially explain what they are doing.

https://www.cruiseindustrynews.com/cruise-news/17867-carnival-corp-to-rollout-best-wifi-with-medallionnet.html

Everything on Facebook is certainly true.

Like many things on cc, it's never a good idea to believe a single poster.

I'm happy to wait for additional correspondents.

Regardless, Grand is too old for me.

You must be correct, a long time member who just got on the Grand has made fake princess leaflets to post on Facebook. How smart are they

You must be correct, a long time member who just got on the Grand has made fake princess leaflets to post on Facebook. How smart are they

If I recall correctly, you were the poster who alerted us to embarcation lunch in the main dining room

being for only club class cruisers.

After additional posters reported, it turned out to not be true.

When I was on royal, the all you can eat photo package was $49.

Apparently as a trial, as that is not the price now across all ships.

I learned on Cruise Critic that Richard Joseph had move to Celebrity.

Turned out to not be the case.

As has happened here many times, someone will ask a simple yes/no question,

and get answers of both yes and no.

Better to wait for more posters to report from more ships, particularly

when you have told us you like to create controversy here.

This will put them in line with their brand-mate P&O. I like that P&O sells the unlimited Internet in 24-hour increments.
Thats ok if you can get connected.On the Aurora this year people were buying 24hr packages and weren't able to get connected.They were then refused refunds.My 250 mins platinum on Princess is much better,cheers,Brian.

Do you recall how long you were able to view the videos? I’ve read just 24 hours, but am hoping that’s not correct.

From the Netflix website;

My downloaded title says 'Expired.'

After you download a title to your device, you have a limited amount of time to watch it before it expires. The amount of time depends on individual licenses, and can vary by title. Titles that are expiring from your device in less than 7 days will display the amount of time you have left on the My Downloads page of the Netflix app.

Some titles will expire 48 hours after you first press play. Once you have started playing one of these titles, you will see how many hours you have left on the My Downloads page. You can watch a downloaded title as many times as you’d like before it expires.

If a title has expired, you will need to renew it. Some titles may only be renewed a certain number of times. Titles that are no longer available on Netflix will expire when they leave the service, regardless of when they were downloaded.

This is going to get interesting. I can think of lots of complications: Will the current Platinum benefit be discontinued? (There goes a huge incentive to stay with Princess). Will special pricing only be available via pre-pays, creating another 'can't use my OBC issue'? E-Mail vs websites? How are they going to do that? Many Mail services are thru generic websites, so how will they tell what is mail and what is surf? if you fill out a prompt with your email address, maybe that does it? But many sites ask for your address, and they are not Mail services. I don't want to be connected to the world 24/7, will any VP at Princess believe me when I say that?

Sent from my iPad using Forums

Agree! I need to reach home and my 150 minutes is just fine for most of our trips. Having to possibly purchase a package at a discount is not a perk for us.

From the Netflix website;

My downloaded title says 'Expired.'

After you download a title to your device, you have a limited amount of time to watch it before it expires. The amount of time depends on individual licenses, and can vary by title. Titles that are expiring from your device in less than 7 days will display the amount of time you have left on the My Downloads page of the Netflix app.

Some titles will expire 48 hours after you first press play. Once you have started playing one of these titles, you will see how many hours you have left on the My Downloads page. You can watch a downloaded title as many times as you’d like before it expires.

If a title has expired, you will need to renew it. Some titles may only be renewed a certain number of times. Titles that are no longer available on Netflix will expire when they leave the service, regardless of when they were downloaded.

Thank you for this information. I downloaded 73 titles overnight and just checked. None of them display the amount of time I have left so I have to assume that they are all at least a week or longer. BTW, 73 was the limit I could download despite the fact that I had plenty of storage left on my device.

It may be Amazon Prime that is more limited. I know their download quantity is far less (I seem to remember 25j but their viewing period is also much shorter.

Hi, J. When to you and G take off this year?

Next week!:D:eek::D

As someone who runs his own small business as a sideline, I need daily email and web access. But I don't need constant access and I don't need streaming. During my most recent cruise, between T-mobile and its included international data roaming for port days and the Plat/Elite included minutes on the ship for use on sea days, it was more than adequate for my needs (didn't use all my minutes and never touched my wife's). I'd be very disappointed if the included Plat/Elite time went away.