Princess new unlimited internet

antsp

I don't get why people take definitive action (like changing cruise plans/canceling) based upon a program that is in flux. I remember all the hoopla with pre-paying excursions, now this. Can't wait to see Medallion rumors go to the next level when the first voyage is made.:evilsmile:

Princess posted this on their Facebook page about an hour ago in response to a question about losing the free Platinum/Elite internet minutes.

We regret that there is misinformation about the new internet packages being trialed on Grand Princess. When the program rolls out fleetwide, guests with Platinum or Elite internet minutes will have three options upon first sign on:

1) Activate their existing minutes, just as before;

2) Upgrade to a package with a larger number of minutes, just as before; or

3) Upgrade to one of the new unlimited packages at a reduced rate, which is what you're describing.

Any Platinum or Elite guests who chooses option 1 or 2 will still be able to access any site they were able to before the new packages rolled out, they are not limited to just the "Social" tier.

As we've said, since this is a trial, there have been a few bugs to work out, and we've heard from our shipboard teams that there were some issues with access to certain websites for Platinum and Elite guests, which I believe is where this rumor is coming from. We hope that helps, and assure you we very much do value our loyal guests.

Just as another confirmation of the above, I had sent in an email this morning with my concerns. Someone called me this afternoon and confirmed this very post. In the end, this is probably a great thing. If they are moving to unlimited plans I can’t see them not upgrading the backend and giving better speed and bandwidth to handle the increased workload. Not doing so would be a major misstep and I doubt they would drop the ball that badly.

Here’s hoping!

Glad to hear that the Plat/Elite mins will continue. Most of my cruises are MR or Caribbean, so apart from the odd sea day where I'm reliant on the internet at sea service, I'm usually connected to the internet when in port using T-mobile roaming at no extra cost and can get my emails, banking, flight check ins, etc. However, that's a little tricky on the LAX-HI circle and nigh on impossible on my Oz-Fiji cruise next year. I would be fine when in Sydney pre and post cruise via T-mobile but Fiji is not on their inclusive roaming plan, so I would be on the hook for $4 a minute calls, 50c per text message and $15 a MB for data. I was looking forward to being "off the grid" more than normal during that cruise, but would still need to connect to the world for at least a few minutes a day. Looks like that will continue.

My previous post was either delayed or I had not refreshed the thread as I missed all the clarifications from Princess.

So I would have to agree if free minutes are preserved for P&E level Captains Circle, then that is good.

I might find it difficult to predict whether I should exchange for a package at a discount at the beginning of a cruise, versus waiting until my minutes run out and then having to buy minutes in lieu of the choice to buy a daily U/L package. I'd like to have the choice to act when my free minutes run out. I am not talking about 7- or 10-nighters... I am talking about extended voyages (like upcoming 60-nighter). The free internet minutes are capped - they don't keep increasing with length of a cruise after 21 days.

And I think that everyone's key beef about the lowest package being social only is also one worth arguing about. Whatever the basic package is, it ought to include email. IDK how they can throttle every possible email application or site anyway. So, the social thing sounds like something to buy the kids. And the real price is the $25 package. That is way over-priced. I don't think we should smugly walk away with our free minutes and not react to the package offerings and pricing.

PS - And please don't read my signature block and tell me I get more free minutes now that I booked segments. I know this, but I am thinking of the folks on the 60-day like I used to be, or the day when I might be on a long cruise again and not have the option to segment.

My previous post was either delayed or I had not refreshed the thread as I missed all the clarifications from Princess.

So I would have to agree if free minutes are preserved for P&E level Captains Circle, then that is good.

I might find it difficult to predict whether I should exchange for a package at a discount at the beginning of a cruise, versus waiting until my minutes run out and then having to buy minutes in lieu of the choice to buy a daily U/L package. I'd like to have the choice to act when my free minutes run out. I am not talking about 7- or 10-nighters... I am talking about extended voyages (like upcoming 60-nighter). The free internet minutes are capped - they don't keep increasing with length of a cruise after 21 days.

And I think that everyone's key beef about the lowest package being social only is also one worth arguing about. Whatever the basic package is, it ought to include email. IDK how they can throttle every possible email application or site anyway. So, the social thing sounds like something to buy the kids. And the real price is the $25 package. That is way over-priced. I don't think we should smugly walk away with our free minutes and not react to the package offerings and pricing.

Keep in mind this 'deal' is only 4 days old and may/will be tweaked as time goes by.. However, it looks like IF you want to do the upgrade - it will have to be on day 1... again,,, its all new.. so keep watching and the day you get on, check it out..

I am betting it will be like the All You can drink package... its Priced from Day one, so if you buy it on day 2, you still pay for day 1.

If your an internet junkie and its a LONG cruise... at today talk - you can change your free min for the upgraded Premium package (value $30) for $15 Per Day.... 20 day cruise = that's $300 = do I NEED unlimited internet at that price - Hell NO but you might... its a personal decision

as far as kids are concerned.... that's still a bunch on money and to just give it to the kids???? make them work for it some how...

Does anyone know how many devices are allowed to sign on per account? I'm assuming only one person can sign on at a time.
On the past it has been one person at a time. Someone stated that you don't sign on any more. If that is correct, will you be able to use multiple devices on one account. On a given cruise I may connect to the internet using my phone, my tablet or my PC. I wouldn't like to be tied to one device.

Sent from my iPhone using Forums

PS - And please don't read my signature block and tell me I get more free minutes now that I booked segments. I know this, but I am thinking of the folks on the 60-day like I used to be, or the day when I might be on a long cruise again and not have the option to segment.

In regard to your PS: When I booked a long cruise (British Isles plus Transatlantic) as one cruise, I knew that others had booked it as two segments. I was pleasantly surprised when I was given two blocks of internet minutes anyhow. I'm hoping this might be the same for me when I am on that same 60 day cruise with you!

We stay in Comfort Inns/Best Western hotels/motels and they do not charge for WiFi, at least as of our last stay in April 2017. Hotels have charged for WiFi for some time, in our limited experience.
Most hotels in the world have free wifi but quite a few have a faster second tier that is chargeable.Perhaps thats where the confusion lies.

Hi,we did Whittier to FL on the Coral last year and booked it as 1 cruise.We still got 3 segments of internet about 1200 mins.Cheers,Brian.

Big YAY!

My travel agent contacted Princess this morning... It sounds like it should all be cleared up with this sailing. Platinum and Elite can get their free minutes.

Would this be true if people are streaming? The connection won't typically feel like dial-up any more?

ok all looks good then , the choice to upgrade or stay the way it was, one benefit is if you stay on the old minute system it will still be a lot faster than it is now,

If FB and Social Media are so darn popular and Princess's bottom line is profit, why not charge the highest rate for the SM package? For many people, email is a basic NECESSITY, and FB has become an addiction. Shame on Princess for making Social Media the cheapest option! Discourage FB users and let them 'Come Back New'!

Keeping free minutes (with decent connectivity) as a perk = Happiness for me!

By no means is it a sky is falling mentality. I also have friends on board this sailing....they were given no option to to use their Elite minutes. They were told their only option was to buy the premium package at the reduced price and their perk was now the discount. Princess failed to properly roll out the test on board if indeed we are to have the option to retain our minutes. I'm totally fine should the minutes remain intact. I do not need unlimited. Both of us need to check our work emails and family emails and an occasional check of FB for messages.

Many of us are Platinum or Elite and have free minutes but many long cruises have passengers who cruise many different lines and have not reached those levels on Princess. These prices for internet are very high and would be costly for those people on long cruises. Knowing Carnival has prices soooo much lower (and they also have discounted prices if you purchase for the whole cruise) I really think Princess is price gouging.

Many of us are Platinum or Elite and have free minutes but many long cruises have passengers who cruise many different lines and have not reached those levels on Princess. These prices for internet are very high and would be costly for those people on long cruises. Knowing Carnival has prices soooo much lower (and they also have discounted prices if you purchase for the whole cruise) I really think Princess is price gouging.

Carnival's 3 tier pricing is $5/day, $16/day and $25/day for similar service to the Princess tiers.

By no means is it a sky is falling mentality. I also have friends on board this sailing....they were given no option to to use their Elite minutes. They were told their only option was to buy the premium package at the reduced price and their perk was now the discount. Princess failed to properly roll out the test on board if indeed we are to have the option to retain our minutes. I'm totally fine should the minutes remain intact. I do not need unlimited. Both of us need to check our work emails and family emails and an occasional check of FB for messages.
I am wondering if this was a screwup of the internet management who I understand is separate from Princess. Also, it seems that now that Princess has confirmed Platinum and Elites will get their minutes that there will be a refund. It would be nice to see if that is happening.

I am wondering if this was a screw up of the internet management who I understand is separate from Princess. Also, it seems that now that Princess has confirmed Platinum and Elites will get their minutes that there will be a refund. It would be nice to see if that is happening.

I think it was definitely a screw up in communication somewhere between the home office and the ships internet department. Although, how is started for them was when they attempted to log on the first time to claim their free minutes. When they didn't see the usual page just the option of the 3 plans they went down to the internet cafe. So, I also indeed hope that refunds are going to happen and all the confusion has been straightened out.

Carnival's 3 tier pricing is $5/day, $16/day and $25/day for similar service to the Princess tiers.

$16/day compared to Princess' $25/day. Also Carnival discounts it if you buy for the whole cruise so it costs much less than $16/day

We really liked it in 2016 when we did a ten day b2b with an 11 day. I can't imagine paying these prices to Princess if taking a month long cruise or longer.

Glad I get the free minutes but I fear their days might be numbered.

In regard to your PS: When I booked a long cruise (British Isles plus Transatlantic) as one cruise, I knew that others had booked it as two segments. I was pleasantly surprised when I was given two blocks of internet minutes anyhow. I'm hoping this might be the same for me when I am on that same 60 day cruise with you!

Hi,we did Whittier to FL on the Coral last year and booked it as 1 cruise.We still got 3 segments of internet about 1200 mins.Cheers,Brian.

I agree - I had forgotten about that policy/practice. I am going to like us having 2500 minutes for our trip, but it won't be enough I expect as only about 40 minutes a day and that disappears quickly when it is sloooowww (we are not on a ship with supposedly faster speed).