Birth Certificate Issue

Jthomasou

How does an adult make a $1000+ vacation mistake?

I agree. But this wasn’t a mistake.. the OP said their relative passport already expired and they leave tomorrow. So they intentionally waited to the last minute, to prepare themselves lol

Sent from my iPhone using Forums

I agree. But this wasn’t a mistake.. the OP said their relative passport already expired and they leave tomorrow. So they intentionally waited to the last minute, to prepare themselves lol

I'm glad you are so empathetic.

Sure you can, the 6 month rule is only for certain countries and none of those countries are on itineraries where one can use a BC/gov't issued photo ID. According to the State Dept:

How long is a passport valid and is it true that it needs to have at least 6 months of validity remaining?

If you were age 16 or older when your passport was issued, your passport is valid for 10 years.

If you were under 16 when your passport was issued, your passport is valid for 5 years.

The Issue Date of your passport can be found on the data page of your Passport Book or on the front of your Passport Card.

Some countries require that your passport be valid at least six months beyond the dates of your trip. Some airlines will not allow you to board if this requirement is not met. Consider the following scenario: A country requires that you have at least six months of validity on your passport. You currently have seven months of validity on your passport. However, your trip is two months from now. At that point, you will only have five months of validity remaining on your passport which is not enough to satisfy that country's entry requirements. In this situation, you would need to renew your passport before you can make your trip.

Many times it’s a cruise line requirement to have a passport valid for more than 6 months after travel no matter the itin.

After reading through all the posts I am just happy that this poor woman got to go on her cruise. Who are we to judge how or why this happened. I left my purse in a restaurant one night before our cruise that had my DL in it. The restaurant didn't open until noon the next day and I was freaking out!. Fortunately for me it was turned in intact and all was well. Mistake, yes it was. We all make them;)

Many times it’s a cruise line requirement to have a passport valid for more than 6 months after travel no matter the itin.

But it’s not with Carnival.
Re

We fell into this situation with Carnival regarding a passport having to be 6 months left because of our itinerary in 2013

Regardless, the OP was able to rectify the situation by obtaining a BC today, the morning of the cruise.

A valuable lesson has been learned.

Re

We fell into this situation with Carnival regarding a passport having to be 6 months left because of our itinerary in 2013

Regardless, the OP was able to rectify the situation by obtaining a BC today, the morning of the cruise.

Depending on the itinerary it could be. But in this case, theirs didn’t require a Passport, and my reply was in response to the statement that some cruise lines require it for all cruises. Carnival as a whole does not. It says so on their webpage and I cruised in August and my Passport expired in October. Not a word was said at check in or upon my return when I handed it to the CBP agent.

It doesn't really matter since done is done. I completed my online check in for our upcoming cruise over a year ago and if I noticed then that the passport was expiring I would have made a mental note to renew it, but with my memory it could have been forgotten. Bottom line is that people make these types of mistakes all of the time.

Then you should NOT have completed the check in if you were renewing your passport, your information would be wrong when you check in at the ship.

I never do a check un until shortly prior to the cruise anyway, since I frequently late book.

Then you should NOT have completed the check in if you were renewing your passport, your information would be wrong when you check in at the ship.

I never do a check un until shortly prior to the cruise anyway, since I frequently late book.

Online check-in is available for entering information and editing from the day you receive your booking number up until a couple of days before sailing. Passport information as well as other info entered can be added to or changed as needed.

Re

If you were able to go with just a BC, you certainly didn't need a passport with more than 6 months left on it. Could have expired the day after you came home

Online check-in is available for entering information and editing from the day you receive your booking number up until a couple of days before sailing. Passport information as well as other info entered can be added to or changed as needed.

Since you would know if you are going to be renewing your passport, then why even bother "rushing" into "filling it out"?

If you were able to go with just a BC, you certainly didn't need a passport with more than 6 months left on it. Could have expired the day after you came home

NO, you misunderstood my post. All of us needed a passport with 6 months left upon the return date. We left LA (where our passports were taken and held) on Carnival's Splendor, traveled around the Horn of South America ending the cruise 48 days later in NYC. We left 300 passengers behind as their passports were NOT good beyond 6 months. This information was made available to us at booking, some choose to ignore it. That was a very expensive lesson to some.

Not sure what state you are in but in Pennsylvania we have some offices where you can get a copy of your birth certificate same day. I'd imagine other states do as well. Unfortunately about three weeks before our last cruise my son couldn't find his birth certificate and took advantage of the same day option.

Where I live, they will print the short form out while you wait.

I keep original birth certificates with my passports.

Her passport is already expired. Poor planning.

I was responding to a post that said you cannot book if passport expires within six months. That was incorrect.

But, even if the passport was expired, she save it with a birth certificate, so all ends well here, no?

Sent from my iPad using Forums

I am already checked in for a Jan 2019 cruise and have been for months. If the credit card changes, if anything changes, it is simple to edit.

RCCL will not allow you to check in until the 90 day mark.

I love Princess and HAL. If you have sailed with them using a passport, when you book your next cruise they fill in the info automatically. No need to put in DOB, home address, passport number, date of expiration etc. every time you book another cruise. If, according to them the passport is expired or will expire before the end of the cruise, they flag it and remind you to renew.

There are some cruise lines that require a passport, even for a closed loop Caribbean cruise out of Miami. Azamara requires it.

Princess has a special requirement under certain circumstances, such as a single parent traveling with kids.

PASSPORT REQUIREMENT WHEN MINORS TRAVEL WITH ONE ADULT ON VOYAGES GOVERNED BY THE U.S. WESTERN HEMISPHERE TRAVEL INITIATIVE (includes travel within BERMUDA, CANADA, CARIBBEAN, HAWAII, MEXICO, PANAMA CANAL, UNITED STATES) When minors are traveling with only one adult 21 years of age or older, Princess requires that all guests must be in possession of a valid passport. We have implemented this requirement because we want to ensure that your party remains together should an emergency arise that requires one or more in your party to be disembarked in a non-U.S. port. We cannot guarantee that all members of your party will be allowed to disembark with just a WHTI-compliant document or birth certificate. Failure to present a valid passport for all guests traveling together will result in denial of boarding without refund of the of the cruise or cruisetour fare.

Edited by DebJ14

Yes, when using it as a stand alone document to prove both ID and citizenship. BUT an expired passport is still proof of citizenship and possibly it may be used when coupled with another form of ID. It's a long shot but I'd rather show up with that than with nothing.

From State Dept website:

Doesn't matter what the State Department thinks. If the cruise line wants an unexpired passport, an expired passport will not be accepted.

After some pleading our local health department broke protocol to issue her a birth certificate

So glad it worked out. Thanks for the update. Have a great cruise.

Unless something has recently changed here in South Carolina we would have to drive to our capital to get a copy, at least of the long form, and then only during business hours, with roughly a 2 hour wait. (at least that is what happened when we found out we needed the long form for my son years ago for another matter)

Regardless WHY is a photocopy of a birth certificate, which could be easily forged, allowed but an expired passport is not? Makes no sense.

I am diligent about my passport and now we in South Carolina will not even be able to fly or enter federal buildings without one because our Drivers Licenses are not RealID certified. I don’t even have a copy of my birth certificate anymore. My parents lost it when I was young but since I already had a passport they never bothered to replace it. And it’s from Massachusetts so I have no idea how easy or expensive it would be to get...

NO, you misunderstood my post. All of us needed a passport with 6 months left upon the return date. We left LA (where our passports were taken and held) on Carnival's Splendor, traveled around the Horn of South America ending the cruise 48 days later in NYC. We left 300 passengers behind as their passports were NOT good beyond 6 months. This information was made available to us at booking, some choose to ignore it. That was a very expensive lesson to some.

There are two reasons why on this PARTICULAR cruise that caveat was placed into effect for a Carnival cruise.

1) Not all of the ports on that cruise itinerary participate in WHTI or where even eligible for WHTI compliant marine entry, in fact most of the port stops were in South America.

Brazil requires anyone that enters their territorial waters to have a passport valid for 6 months past their planned date of departure. If the ship could not prove everyone on board met that requirement they would need to avoid not only porting anywhere in Brazil but from traveling within it's declared marine territory. Also required by the Brazilian government is a VISA (not the credit card) if you wished to explore the port. Most people that opted for the cruise line sponsored excursions may of had an exemption or Carnival applied for one on their behalf.

If the ship also had any stops in Venezuela again a passport for any nationality is required, though I'm not sure if it still needed the 6 month expiry time. Additional they required VISAs for anyone not from a bordering country wishing to explore.

2) This was NOT a CLOSED LOOP cruise, a cruise that starts and ends at the same homeport. You started in Los Angeles, CA and disembarked 48 days later in Manhattan, NY. This was actually a 3 legged repositioning cruise, passengers had the option of the full transit, and 2 other debarkation points, in essence making this a B2B2B. I think but am not totally sure the other debark options were somewhere around day 18 (whatever port was just prior to Brazil) and day 35 (Barbados maybe) to return home from those foreign ports by other means. For most that other means would of been by air. So to fly a passport would of been required and even if returning to the USA most airlines require the 6 months cushion in case of delayed by a medical emergency or natural disaster.