Oasis/RCL newbie question...

sandkps

Hello! We just booked an Oasis sailing for January. I know it will be impossible to do & see everything during our sailing so I'd love some advise from some RCL/Oasis vets. We will be sailing with our 2 sons, ages 12 & 9. What would you say would be the DON'T MISS activities, restaurants, shows etc for our family & kids?

You will find that 7 days is more than enough to experience everything you want to on the ship. Best advice I can give you is to plan your evenings and pre-book the shows to avoid having to stand in line.

IMO it's worth checking out for yourself the MDR and WJ. Quite a wide choice in WJ which might appeal more to the children. There are plenty of other eating venues which you will come across by exploring.

Look out for the parade on Promenade deck. That is worth seeing.

We did Johnny rockets for breakfast and loved it (commentary for breakfast)

I'd also try to get your kids involved in some of the kids club activities early on. Mine didn't and regretted it.

We actually only ate ate the WJ on the last morning. My kids loved Sorrento pizza and the hot dog place!

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G890A using Tapatalk

agree with Johnny Rockets for breakfast...free and made to order

milkshakes there are great..charge for them but worth it

also agree with booking shows as soon as you can...you can always change plans once on board. If you do not have a reservation they do release seats just before the performance due to no shows.

great idea to read a review...do it with the kids and let them help plan

No one has mentioned the carousel. I think it's a must do once just to say you've ridden one at sea. :) I'd add the zipline to your must do list also! Never done the rock wall, but have watched a lot of kids do it and ring that bell.

One thing we always enjoy is spending time in Central Park in the evenings when there is live music. Very nice ambiance.

Many enjoy the Rising Tide bar. We've done it once. We kind of feel like it's a gimmick. Not so sure the allure of riding the equivalent of a slow speed elevator a couple of floors while grabbing a drink is all that. LOL

Not sure how many late night plans you'll be able to participate in, but Jazz on 4 provides great musical entertainment in the later evenings.

Last bit of advice I'd give is to book reservations for the shows you want to see prior to getting on board. It's just easier. Also get to your show 20 - 30 minutes prior to show time. About 10 - 15 minutes prior to show time, they begin letting in those without reservations into the shows.

Aquatheater show.

Bob, another question along the same lines. We are on Oasis in mid February. All shows and dinners reserved. Cannot reserve the comedy show (5 shows on 4 cruise days) because of our 11 year old son. Am I mistaken or did I read that there is usually a "family" comedy show that the kids can go to? Would it be listed separately or lumped in with the regular comedy show?

Thanks.

Bob, another question along the same lines. We are on Oasis in mid February. All shows and dinners reserved. Cannot reserve the comedy show (5 shows on 4 cruise days) because of our 11 year old son. Am I mistaken or did I read that there is usually a "family" comedy show that the kids can go to? Would it be listed separately or lumped in with the regular comedy show?

Thanks.

If they do offer a family comedy show, it will not be listed in the Cruise Planner for pre-cruise reservations. It will be listed on the Cruise Compass (onboard daily schedule) and will not require reservations.

Edited by Host Clarea

If they do offer a family comedy show, it will not be listed in the Cruise Planner for pre-cruise reservations. It will be listed on the Cruise Compass (onboard daily scehdule) and will not require reservations.

Thank you sir. I will keep any eye out for it while on board.

If they do offer a family comedy show, it will not be listed in the Cruise Planner for pre-cruise reservations. It will be listed on the Cruise Compass (onboard daily schedule) and will not require reservations.

To further Bob's comment, it is typically the last night in the large theater.

Grandkids loved the Oasis!

I think most people have covered the highlights. I would check out all the included (free) dining. Many people just do the Windjammer and then complain about it being crowded. There are numerous places to eat - we like Wipeout Cafe too. As far as pay for dining, Giovanni's was a great family dinner for us.

Shows not to miss - definitely Aqua show and ice show.

Activities - zip line, carousel, flow rider, ice skating (long pants and socks required).

Have a great cruise!

I recommend the flow rider. Your kids are young but if they are too little forsurfing they can do the knee board..Hubby and I dont have kids together but we enjoyed going and watching the young ones on the flow rider as they have some bleacher style seating.

When we were on Oasis, part of the first night "show" included the comedians doing the "family friendly" bits of their comedy club act. That was the only comedians we saw outside of the club.

Other ships usually have a comedian as one of the evening featured entertainer shows, but I don't think they do this on Oasis class because of the comedy club.

Other than that, everybody is going to suggest lots of stuff. Definitely be sure to book what you can in advance. The rest, just explore and try what you want. Times for all activities are in the daily Cruise Compass that comes to your room and on the TV.

do not know if they are still there but Oasis had these viewfinder type deals in Central Park...steel column with a glass top and you can look into them....I just googled it and apparently they are pedestals as part of art installation...somebody created a webpage showing where to find this and the other art http://www.botos.com/small_wonders/

do not know if they are still there but Oasis had these viewfinder type deals in Central Park...steel column with a glass top and you can look into them....I just googled it and apparently they are pedestals as part of art installation...somebody created a webpage showing where to find this and the other art http://www.botos.com/small_wonders/

Still there. I think they are called small wonders. We enjoyed them. There is one near the Diamond Lounge. Hubby found a bunch and would bring me back to check them out. One of the many nice touches on Lady O.