More Gala Nights Cutbacks

1ANGELCAT

Have we reached the point where we can concede that it is difficult to argue that passengers should dress up for Gala Nights because Gala Nights are "special"? There might be other reasons for dressing up but "special" isn't one of them.

I consider my spouse to be "special" enough to dress properly for. As for "dressing up", we keep that for Halloween. On other nights, we just dress appropriately, as respectful grownups should.

I consider my spouse to be "special" enough to dress properly for. As for "dressing up", we keep that for Halloween. On other nights, we just dress appropriately, as respectful grownups should.

I'm sure everyone would agree that their wives are "special" enough to dress properly for. My wife, as with many others, considers casual wear to be the most appropriate attire. She is the only one whose wishes I respect.

Am I the only one who thinks that the food is actually inferior on gala nights? I have been disappointed in the choices every.single.time. maybe i can convince my mother to go to pinnacle grill on a gala night next cruise.

We agree that gala night food is no longer as special as in the past. We typically do long cruises (one to four months at a time), so there are many gala nights. On some evenings, much of the food is quite good; on others, the food is a disappointment & the menu is either odd or boring. HAL has done away with some of the special touches regarding gala nights. Keep in mind, however, if you are unhappy with the choices, you can usually order standard items from the regular menu (caesar salad, onion soup, steak etc,) even on gala nights.

In my opinion, the phrase "dress to impress" is silly & outdated. We are adults who spend a small fortune on travel. We dress appropriately, but don't feel the need to impress anyone. Whenever I see the phrase in HAL literature, I think, perhaps, someone just forgot to remove it from the "old" days.

In my opinion, the phrase "dress to impress" is silly & outdated. We are adults who spend a small fortune on travel. We dress appropriately, but don't feel the need to impress anyone. Whenever I see the phrase in HAL literature, I think, perhaps, someone just forgot to remove it from the "old" days.

I think that phrase reflects as acquiescence to people who reject the idea that what they wear should be influenced by expectations of fellow passengers. Fearing that the suggestion of a standard will offend their sense of personal liberty, it instead suggests the motive of gaining the admiration of others. It belies a weakness, but on the other hand maybe it's realistic (and they do want your small fortune).

I'm not sure what they'd write in the old days, but I would think it would be plain and simple, informing us of the dress code in straightforward terms.

Edited by SetAnOpenCourse
Add sentence

I think that phrase reflects as acquiescence to people who reject the idea that what they wear should be influenced by expectations of fellow passengers. Fearing that the suggestion of a standard will offend their sense of personal liberty, it instead suggests the motive of gaining the admiration of others. It belies a weakness, but on the other hand maybe it's realistic (and they do want your small fortune).

I'm not sure what they'd write in the old days, but I would think it would be plain and simple, informing us of the dress code in straightforward terms.

While the minimum requirement is smart casual, this phrase is a signal that this is the night for those that they would like to dress up but don't want to be out of place.

While the minimum requirement is smart casual, this phrase is a signal that this is the night for those that they would like to dress up but don't want to be out of place.

I didn't know things had reached the point where dressing formally on HAL was making people feel self conscious (if that's what you mean).

When we travel we usually travel for about 10 weeks. This includes air (at least 24 hrs), rail, coach, hire car, walking and cruising. We only have a certain luggage allowance so toting formal wear for 2 or 3 nights on a cruise is not on.

That said we always change from casual clothing to 'nice' clothing of an evening when we are eating with others in a dining room. Hopefully this doesn't lessen anyone's enjoyment of their Gala Dinner.

I didn't know things had reached the point where dressing formally on HAL was making people feel self conscious (if that's what you mean).

No, that isn't what I meant. HAL is trying to accommodate two diverse groups. The Gala Nights dress code can be interpreted as "Smart Casual Required, Formal Optional". That code informs those who would like to dress up that they won't be the only ones. Gala Nights also lets others know that they won't be under dressed either. It is an attempt at compromise.

No, that isn't what I meant. HAL is trying to accommodate two diverse groups. The Gala Nights dress code can be interpreted as "Smart Casual Required, Formal Optional". That code informs those who would like to dress up that they won't be the only ones. Gala Nights also lets others know that they won't be under dressed either. It is an attempt at compromise.

Well said. That is one of the fairest interpretations of HAL's recommendations I've seen on CC in a while.

Well said. That is one of the fairest interpretations of HAL's recommendations I've seen on CC in a while.

Agree, re. the interpretation, and with HAL's recommendation to boot.

I must say, however, that at least for men's attire, the advantage of formal over smart casual is that in comparison it is almost impossible to erode into pure casual and then, potentially, anything-goes. Other than that concern, smart casual (with formal option for those so inclined) is fine in my book.

:beer-toast:

In the MDR there were people in shorts, t-shirts, and flip flops on the Koningsdam gala nights in October. There were also people spitting into plants and speakers and onto the deck itself. It has really made me question whether I will continue with this line. I am hopeful this was an anomaly.

In the MDR there were people in shorts, t-shirts, and flip flops on the Koningsdam gala nights in October. There were also people spitting into plants and speakers and onto the deck itself. It has really made me question whether I will continue with this line. I am hopeful this was an anomaly.

While I didn't see anyone in shorts on gala nights on my recent cruise distressed jeans, yoga pants and tshirts were all welcomed in the MDR.

Ugh!

If you take longer HAL cruises you have a much better chance of not seeing anything like this. Panama, Hawaii, SA, Asia, South Pacific. The worst we saw was a seriously talkative beer drinker who walked around ALL day with a beer in hand and button-holed everyone in sight.

Please reconsider HAL!

This is disgusting. Was this in the dining room? Speakers and plants? Where?

The plant was in The Retreat. The speaker and deck were on the deck overlooking The Retreat. I dread to think what else was happening around the ship. The first two were men. The deck was a woman. What has been seen cannot be unseen. :loudcry:

Ugh!

If you take longer HAL cruises you have a much better chance of not seeing anything like this. Panama, Hawaii, SA, Asia, South Pacific. The worst we saw was a seriously talkative beer drinker who walked around ALL day with a beer in hand and button-holed everyone in sight.

Please reconsider HAL!

This was a 15 day TA. And I had to google button-holed. lol

We don't order the lobster tails in the dining room as they are cooked in massive pots and tend to be too salty and rubbery.

We were on the Eurodam last month for the Hawaii cruise and the lobster in the dining room was perfectly cooked and seasoned. It was much better than the lobster we had days earlier in Tamarind, which was extremely overcooked. The Tamarind experience made me very leery of ordering lobster again but I'm so glad I did. The dining room nailed it.

Edited by Shelo