Passport/Birth Certificate ?

BC is good unless you have to fly home from a foreign port and even then I am not sure that's a huge issue. Our adult DIL and 5 year old GD just had their passports stolen at the Atlantis in Nassau. We had their passport numbers when we returned (closed loop) to Pt Canaveral.

I figured it was going to take forever to clear CBP as all we had were a driver's license and nothing for the five year old. CBP didn't even bat an eye. Here's how it went, "we had our passports stolen", CPB "do you have a birth certificate?", "no only my driver's license". CBP, "OK just make sure you report the theft".

Now, would RCCL let us on the ship with neither? I doubt it. But coming back wasn't a huge issue.

American citizens can travel on birth certificate and government issued photo ID if it is a closed loop cruise out of a US port. The certificate will need to be a certified copy and if anyone has had a name change (i.e. marriage) so that their ID does not match the birth certificate will also need to bring the official document that made the name change (i.e. marriage certificate).

Many people on here will go long and wide about why it's better to have a passport (and it really is) but since it's your adult children, it's not you everyone needs to convince.

BC is good unless you have to fly home from a foreign port and even then I am not sure that's a huge issue. Our adult DIL and 5 year old GD just had their passports stolen at the Atlantis in Nassau. We had their passport numbers when we returned (closed loop) to Pt Canaveral.

I figured it was going to take forever to clear CBP as all we had were a driver's license and nothing for the five year old. CBP didn't even bat an eye. Here's how it went, "we had our passports stolen", CPB "do you have a birth certificate?", "no only my driver's license". CBP, "OK just make sure you report the theft".

Now, would RCCL let us on the ship with neither? I doubt it. But coming back wasn't a huge issue.

It wasn't an issued for your DIL because she didn't fly home. It would be a bigger issue if she actually had to try to board a plane in a foreign country without a passport.

It wasn't an issued for your DIL because she didn't fly home. It would be a bigger issue if she actually had to try to board a plane in a foreign country without a passport.

This is correct.

It's also important to note that CBP can not deny the entry of a US Citizen. They can detain you and question you for a few hours, but they can't deny you entry. But first you have to make it onto US soil...

I've never, ever brought my "marriage certificate"..NO married woman's BC will match her married name! They look at the birth date...that's all.

A BC and DL is all that's needed on a closed loop Caribbean cruise for Americans.

I've never, ever brought my "marriage certificate"..NO married woman's BC will match her married name!

Correct, but the marriage license will connect the BC to her "new name". We were asked for both for the DIL many years ago when we took them on a cruise shortly after DS and her were married.

I believe RCCL's www site talks about bringing a "bridging" document if the names don't match.

If you had needed to fly home it would have been a problem. You would have had to get new passports before taking the flight.

I've never, ever brought my "marriage certificate"..NO married woman's BC will match her married name! They look at the birth date...that's all.

A BC and DL is all that's needed on a closed loop Caribbean cruise for Americans.

Uhhhhh, there are PLENTY of married women whose name is the same after marriage. It's not a cultural norm for ALL countries, first off, and it's not unheard of for women to not change their name. My BC matches my marriage certificate just fine.

And here's the thing...they SHOULD require the proof of name change. If they would require it for a single woman or any man, whose BC didn't match their passport or ID, then they should require it for everyone.

And if you're asked for it and you don't have it, they might let you go OR they might make things very very difficult if not impossible. (and I would hope they would make it impossible.)

Correct, but the marriage license will connect the BC to her "new name". We were asked for both for the DIL many years ago when we took them on a cruise shortly after DS and her were married.

I believe RCCL's www site talks about bringing a "bridging" document if the names don't match.

I was asked for a bridging document, such as my marriage license, the first two cruises before I bought my passport.

If you're looking for ease--and less money--consider applying for a passport card. It's good for entry to the U.S. from Canada or Mexico and for cruising the Caribbean. You can't fly on it (except in the U.S.), but if you were stranded in a foreign port and had to fly home from there, I suspect with the card, they'd make an exception. It's only $55.00, and it's more convenient to carry than a passport book. https://travel.state.gov/content/passports/en/passports/information/card.html

If you're looking for ease--and less money--consider applying for a passport card. It's good for entry to the U.S. from Canada or Mexico and for cruising the Caribbean. You can't fly on it (except in the U.S.), but if you were stranded in a foreign port and had to fly home from there, I suspect with the card, they'd make an exception. It's only $55.00, and it's more convenient to carry than a passport book. https://travel.state.gov/content/passports/en/passports/information/card.html

The passport card is really no better than traveling with a BC.

I agree. Not ever once have I ever heard of anyone being denied boarding because of married name not matching BC.

One reason that someone really would need a marriage certificate is if the new bride booked the cruise in her newly married name but has not photo ID in that name. Her cruise docs don't match her name on anything she has

Can you cruise the Caribbean with just a birth certificate or do you have to have a passport? We always use a passport, but we are taking our adult kids on a cruise nx year & not sure if they need to get passports??

Thanks for any info. :)

Without a passport, adult US citizens born in the US, (and territories, etc.), also need photo id. Adult US Citizens born outside the US need a bridging document (report of birth abroad or certificate of citizenship) as well as photo id. If the name on the BC does not agree with the one on the photo id, a bridging document is needed (marriage certificate, legal name change documentation).

Not so. Travellers using a BC to establish citizenship requires a valid, government issued photo id as well.

With a passport card, you can do a closed loop cruise based out of the US with no other document. With a BC, you also need a government issued photo ID.

It is considerably better than a birth certificate; it is, in fact, proof of citizenship and identity. It is useful in many situations in the U.S. because it is accepted just as a passport book would be--and after you have it, it's only $30.00 to renew it. Bear in mind, too, that airlines will be restricting flight unless you have "an enhanced driver's license" or "a passport," or "a passport card. Starting Jan. 22, 2018, everyone will need an enhanced driver's license or passport or passport card to board a flight--even domestic--under the federal Real I.D. act. https://www.dhs.gov/real-id If your state is not compliant, the passport card solves that problem, too. Even if your state is compliant, why not have the more permanent (10 years) secure I.D.--that's a little over $5.00 a year, and renewals are even cheaper.

Passport Card

Should I get a passport book or card?

The passport book and passport card are both U.S. passports. If issued for the full validity, they are both proof of your U.S. citizenship and identity.

See the chart below to decide which is best for you. (Can't decide? Get both!)

It is considerably better than a birth certificate; it is, in fact, proof of citizenship and identity. It is useful in many situations in the U.S. because it is accepted just as a passport book would be--and after you have it, it's only $30.00 to renew it. Bear in mind, too, that airlines will be restricting flight unless you have "an enhanced driver's license" or "a passport," or "a passport card. Starting Jan. 22, 2018, everyone will need an enhanced driver's license or passport or passport card to board a flight--even domestic--under the federal Real I.D. act. https://www.dhs.gov/real-id If your state is not compliant, the passport card solves that problem, too. Even if your state is compliant, why not have the more permanent (10 years) secure I.D.--that's a little over $5.00 a year, and renewals are even cheaper.

Passport Card

Should I get a passport book or card?

The passport book and passport card are both U.S. passports. If issued for the full validity, they are both proof of your U.S. citizenship and identity.

See the chart below to decide which is best for you. (Can't decide? Get both!)

Except a lot of states are getting waivers/extensions and Real IDs aren't going to be required for another year or two.

Except a lot of states are getting waivers/extensions and Real IDs aren't going to be required for another year or two.

It seems that they have had 10 years to comply. In my opinion they should not have been given another year.

Sent from my iPhone using Forums

enhanced drivers license
Real I.D.
Be cautious when using these terms, they are not the same thing.

An "enhanced drivers license" is a Real ID document

however

A Real ID drivers license, in the majority of states, is not an "enhanced drivers license".

Not true, the PC has a RFID chip linked to the CBP computer so they can pull up your bio-metric data; including a photograph. The PC is "Real ID"

However, passport cards are not valid for international air travel; they're only acceptable for land and sea border crossings between the U.S., Canada, Mexico, Bermuda and the Caribbean.

A PC will get you expedited land crossing at certain Mexican and Canadian border crossings.