Cozumel - Mayan Ruins: safety

Carol RN

To clarify the question, are you talking about the San Gervasio ruins, or the Tulum ruins on the mainland? We did Royal's Tulum Ruins with Beach Break excursion a couple of years ago and didn't feel unsafe at any time. For us, we prefer ship-based tours from Cozumel because of the ferry to the mainland and the possibility of getting back to the ship late (which our group and several other tour groups did).

Take a ship sponsored excursion to the ruins, most of them(ruins) are very impressive. I would never leave the island with a private excursion operator.

We never felt like we had any concerns or were not safe in any way. Very much enjoyed the experience, and the people we met were very friendly.

The ruins on the island are not as impressive as on the mainland.

Sent from my iPad using Forums

Edited by Valiamo

Right, which ruins? There are smaller ruins on Cozumel island and I would feel comfortable visiting that without an excursion. However if you are going to the mainland I agree with booking an excursion. Safety wise, either way, yes; wouldn’t be concerned about safety. Personally I wouldn’t try to make the mainland ruins from Cozumel due to the ferry ride and long travel time.

Sent from my iPhone using Forums

One thing to consider if taking the ferry to the mainland is the rough ride. Many people get sick on that ride.

Your post beat mine ... that ferry trip to the mainland was the worst that my wife and I have ever taken, and we turn green just thinking about it.

That said, the Tulum Ruins are well worth the visit.

Michael

If you're thinking of going to the Chichen Itza ruins from Cozumel, don't. Take a look at a map and you'll see how far away those ruins are.

Those are located a 2 hour drive each way into the Yucatan Peninsula. Including the rough 1hr ferry ride, round trip travel time came to 6 hours, leaving us with 2 hours at the ruins and zero time in Cozumel since we were only in port for 8 hours. We were first off the ship and last on.

We did the Chichen Itza ruins through the ship. Was worth it. But would not do it again. Ferry ride was rough and a lot of people on the lower deck where sea sick. Very long ride too and from.

Sent from my iPad using Forums

We did Chichen Itza but we flew there and back on a small plane. Best way to go! The flight there and back was about 45 minutes. We got to see the site from the air and we got to the site ahead of the crowds. We had a long private tour in an almost empty site and we left soon after the buses started to arrive. The biggest bonus was there was no long bus and ferry ride home, we were back in Cozumel by around 3pm.

There was no issues with safety at all. The tour operator chartered the plane through a local airline. The two pilots were very good. We had our own private taxi to from the airport to the site and back arranged by the tour operator.

We did Chichen Itza but we flew there and back on a small plane. Best way to go! The flight there and back was about 45 minutes. We got to see the site from the air and we got to the site ahead of the crowds. We had a long private tour in an almost empty site and we left soon after the buses started to arrive. The biggest bonus was there was no long bus and ferry ride home, we were back in Cozumel by around 3pm.

There was no issues with safety at all. The tour operator chartered the plane through a local airline. The two pilots were very good. We had our own private taxi to from the airport to the site and back arranged by the tour operator.

May I ask how much an excursion of this caliber costs? Do you have a link to the tour operator?

I'd skip the ruins in Cozumel, they are lame and not worth the energy. And I definitely wouldn't go through the ferry ride to the mainland to look at more ruins! The ferry was worth it for Rio Secreto, and just barely. I think we would consider flying back to Cancun then visiting the ruins, Xcaret, etc on a land based trip. We don't plan on taking the ferry again on a cruise stop.

I'd skip the ruins in Cozumel, they are lame and not worth the energy. And I definitely wouldn't go through the ferry ride to the mainland to look at more ruins! The ferry was worth it for Rio Secreto, and just barely. I think we would consider flying back to Cancun then visiting the ruins, Xcaret, etc on a land based trip. We don't plan on taking the ferry again on a cruise stop.

We were thinking about the Secret River excursion in Cozumel. Is this the same as Rio Secreto?

We were thinking about the Secret River excursion in Cozumel. Is this the same as Rio Secreto?

Secret River is Rio Secreto, yes. 100%, absolutely, without hesitation, book it. It's amazing. It's not a little cenote. You will spend about 1.5+ hours going through the underground cave/river system with a great guide. Then an excellent lunch on site. Maybe the best excursion we have ever done. And it's a really well done excursion, small groups, excellent facilities and transportation, etc. Couldn't recommend it highly enough.

If you're thinking of going to the Chichen Itza ruins from Cozumel, don't. Take a look at a map and you'll see how far away those ruins are.

Those are located a 2 hour drive each way into the Yucatan Peninsula. Including the rough 1hr ferry ride, round trip travel time came to 6 hours, leaving us with 2 hours at the ruins and zero time in Cozumel since we were only in port for 8 hours. We were first off the ship and last on.

There are flights from Cozumel to Chichen Itza, or at least there were. We did it back in 97. Perfect way to visit.

JC

Does anyone have suggestions on the best part of the ferry to sit to minimize seasickness?

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

First, we use Bonine in advance to help with the motion sickness. Our preference is to sit topside out in the open air where we can see the horizon and breath fresh air. It can get stale or worse inside, especially if people around you are getting sick.