What questions would you ask when trying to find a good Travel Agent?

Nolanoel

I would ask the following:

How long they have been a TA?

Familiarity with NCL and for that matter what other cruise lines they do a lot of bookings with?

How do they differentiate themselves from other agents?

What amenities can they offer?

Are there any penalties with them fi you cancel the cruise?

Are they available five days a week or more?

If they are on vacation, etc do they have a backup?

Keith

How much $$$ are you giving me back as an OBC?

That is about the only criteria I use, the information is out there and I don't need my hand held when booking. I already know when and exactly what I want before I even contact them.

I would ask the following:

How long they have been a TA?

Familiarity with NCL and for that matter what other cruise lines they do a lot of bookings with?

How do they differentiate themselves from other agents?

What amenities can they offer?

Are there any penalties with them fi you cancel the cruise?

Are they available five days a week or more?

If they are on vacation, etc do they have a backup?

Keith

Thank you! Great questions!!

That is about the only criteria I use, the information is out there and I don't need my hand held when booking. I already know when and exactly what I want before I even contact them.

I don't either and this is my first experience using one - was doing it for the OBC Just becoming difficult to communicate with the TA

I use a TA most of the time but have done all my homework prior to contact. I want a specific cabin and location at a good price and usually there is substantial on board credit. On my recent booking I have seen 3 price drops in less than 2 months and have had it taken care of immediately. Can't name the agency but the TA was out of office so manager on duty looked after.

Sent from my SM-G930W8 using Forums mobile app

I don't either and this is my first experience using one - was doing it for the OBC Just becoming difficult to communicate with the TA

Using a TA solely for OBC leads to issues like this. The questions above are a great list.

Have you already booked with the TA? If so you’re going to have a difficult time getting your reservation moved to a different agency.

Using a TA solely for OBC leads to issues like this. The questions above are a great list.

Have you already booked with the TA? If so you’re going to have a difficult time getting your reservation moved to a different agency.

You can move from one agency to another at any time prior to making the final payment. It would be so lengthy to go into the "issues" but using a TA for OBC in no way plays into the issues that I am having. I have spent years doing my own bookings and even when using a TA tell them exactly what room I want, etc. I feel like the TA should be on your side and be your advocate - I simply feel that I am not getting that service. I agree - above questions are great.

You can ask questions all day and get some sort of answers. Will they be accurate?

As to your situation, just transfer. The next agent may be better, or not.

Still, get a new agent. Online reviews are probably your best bet. Google will provide better help than here I would guess.

For NCL and Princess, we use an agent who reduces our fare and thus the amount due at final payment. Depending on the particular cruise, there might be additional perks. I compare with big box perks and go with whoever saves me the most. I would personally never book with an agent who charges cancellation fees.

~Denise

Look in your local phone book for a travel agency in your hometown or near by.

Ask if they have anyone who is a CTC- Certified Travel Consultant.

I have one for many years. He has helped when flights got canceled late at night, books hotels, of course my cruises, looks for really good deals with travel insurance. He has more than once helped with filing of paperwork for insurance reimbursement. Would not go any where without his advice and help.

You can move from one agency to another at any time prior to making the final payment. It would be so lengthy to go into the "issues" but using a TA for OBC in no way plays into the issues that I am having. I have spent years doing my own bookings and even when using a TA tell them exactly what room I want, etc. I feel like the TA should be on your side and be your advocate - I simply feel that I am not getting that service. I agree - above questions are great.

Usually if you use a TA you will get good service OR great OBC. If a TA is cutting the amount of commission (money) they are making so that they can provide you with OBC (you do realize this OBC does not come from the cruise line) then how much service do you really expect to get from them?

Usually if you use a TA you will get good service OR great OBC. If a TA is cutting the amount of commission (money) they are making so that they can provide you with OBC (you do realize this OBC does not come from the cruise line) then how much service do you really expect to get from them?

LOL!! Of course I know that the OBC doesn't come from the cruise line! How much service do I expect? I picked the booking, the cabin, the free at sea, referred 4 other bookings and am asking for my TA to make a phone call to fix one issue - as I didn't book it directly. I don't see that as a lot.

I can say two things that are NOT important for me. That they give me OBC, I don't think that any Swedish TA will give me that. That they know more about NCL than me, I can't expect them to know more than me!

I like to use a TA when I shall book many things because it can be good to have everything on the same booking if something happens.

I can say two things that are NOT important for me. That they give me OBC, I don't think that any Swedish TA will give me that. That they know more about NCL than me, I can't expect them to know more than me!

I like to use a TA when I shall book many things because it can be good to have everything on the same booking if something happens.

You are what a TA would call a valued client. MOST TA's around the globe DO NOT provide an OBC to their clients. This is something specific to the U.S. (I think) and is what drives many local TA's out of business vs. big box, online agencies that deal more in volume than service.

The expectation you do not have about your TA knowing more about NCL than you is kind of skewed (IMO). A good TA should know more about the product he/she is selling than the client, unless the client has spent an inordinate amount of time sailing with NCL.

LOL!! Of course I know that the OBC doesn't come from the cruise line! How much service do I expect? I picked the booking, the cabin, the free at sea, referred 4 other bookings and am asking for my TA to make a phone call to fix one issue - as I didn't book it directly. I don't see that as a lot.

That doesn't sound like much of a request on your part. Perhaps you need a different big box store or OLA in the future. To be fair to the TA - if the issue can be fixed through the TA portal then they should be responding ASAP, however, if it requires a phone call to NCL they (the TA) could spend anywhere from 15 min to an hour on hold to fulfill your request. If they (the TA) has given up 75% of their commission to retain you as a client (not sure of the amount, but I've seen some HUGE OBC amounts being stated on CC) than spending huge amounts of time on hold isn't high on their list of priorities. After all, they need to generate HUGE amounts of bookings if they're going to be giving away HUGE amounts of OBC.

You are what a TA would call a valued client. MOST TA's around the globe DO NOT provide an OBC to their clients. This is something specific to the U.S. (I think) and is what drives many local TA's out of business vs. big box, online agencies that deal more in volume than service.

The OBC's are in response to minimum advertised pricing agreements you find in the US. The TA's can't offer a lower price than what is found on NCL's website so the only way they can offer a discount is providing an OBC.

The expectation you do not have about your TA knowing more about NCL than you is kind of skewed (IMO). A good TA should know more about the product he/she is selling than the client, unless the client has spent an inordinate amount of time sailing with NCL.

I think that most TAs in Sweden doesn't sell NCL cruises them self from NCL. They use a third party specialized in cruising. Because of that they don't have the same knowledge about NCL as I have. I have not spent an inordinate amount of time sailing with NCL, as you can see in my signature, but I still know more about them than most TAs in Sweden.

It's the same thing with some cities the TA may sell vacations too. I don't expect them to know more about for example London than me.

THIS. If they're not giving us anything extra, why wouldn't we just go through the NCL.com website? If a TA wants our business, they have to give us something extra, be it a bigger OBC, a lower price, a cabin upgrade, free prepaid gratuities, or something.

THIS. If they're not giving us anything extra, why wouldn't we just go through the NCL.com website? If a TA wants our business, they have to give us something extra, be it a bigger OBC, a lower price, a cabin upgrade, free prepaid gratuities, or something.

Many TA's have access to group pricing that was held a long time ago (unless you're they type that books far in advance) resulting in a lower price and amenities. Aside from that, it's a matter of how much your time is worth to you. Many people I deal with don't want to be bothered with dealing with the cruise lines, making phone calls, watching for price drops, etc. Then there are some who are OCD about their reservation. If pricing is the bottom line then a TA who provides big onboard credit is the way to go. If you want/need customer service then an agency that provides great customer service, but doesn't give away their commission to make the sale, would be the way to go. That's why there are options to suit everyone.

Does she have an arrest record?! My last travel agent got arrested for running a type of travel pyramid scheme right after we got back from the Hawaii trip she booked for us! We knew something was up the entire time, just couldn't figure it out until the police arrested her.... we were one of the lucky ones. We got what we paid for. Most didn't.

Does she have an arrest record?! My last travel agent got arrested for running a type of travel pyramid scheme right after we got back from the Hawaii trip she booked for us! We knew something was up the entire time, just couldn't figure it out until the police arrested her.... we were one of the lucky ones. We got what we paid for. Most didn't.

HOLY COW !!! :eek: Hmm..? Per chance was THIS TA based in Washington D.C. area and worked out of the Congressional office??? Sounds like a TA for a previous president's administration !! (Just kidding!!) I know we have the BEST politicians money can buy!! My wife has mentioned using a TA for future cruises, thinking maybe they can get a better deal, then we can online. Maybe something like fly/hotel/cruise ? BUT I never thought about THEM running some kind of PONZI scheme, or a bait and switch scheme ! But, I guess there a always crooks in every business. :mad: Really, really sad.

Mac