Platinum Benefits Mayhem...

NoDayButToday00

The idea of spending time in the specialty restaurant trying to figure out what we can and can't have is not appealing to us at all.

We are new Platinum and I think it would be embarrassing to us, to a waiter and would spoil the evening for sure. We might just order what we want and pay the difference.

I'm with you. I'm not going to argue or cause a scene because of a couple of dollars. If they charge me for my side in Cagney's, so be it.

We’ve never had a problem while using our certificates. I’m pretty easy to please and try to work with wait staff. We simply ask what’s included with the voucher and that’s what we order. No problems no worries. If someone would still feel hungry, then we walk to the buffet, burn a few cals, and finish grazing.

An awarded meal should be non stressful, just enjoy the one your are with

Sent from my iPad using Forums

we ate there twice and was warned about the charge if we ordered the wrong main but even funnier they dont give money back when you order very little my wife does not like most of the entrees so she ordered just a salad and a baked potatoes and he laughed but no money back my beef is they give us a bottle of champagne and since we dont drink we ask for a switch to a couple cans of soda but very rudely said no way

we ate there twice and was warned about the charge if we ordered the wrong main but even funnier they dont give money back when you order very little my wife does not like most of the entrees so she ordered just a salad and a baked potatoes and he laughed but no money back my beef is they give us a bottle of champagne and since we dont drink we ask for a switch to a couple cans of soda but very rudely said no way

Well, it's a voucher for a free meal so within the parameters they've designed, there would be no refund of any kind. Sorry you felt they should give you a refund but it has never been designed to offer that.

They've never offered Champagne to my knowledge, wine, yes, champagne, no. Not sure about switching to non-alcoholic drinks but have heard that others have been sucessful in other circumstances... just not Platinum Dinner Vouchers. Hope you enjoyed the rest of your cruise.

It could have been the sparkling wine as Latitudes members. I have heard stories of people switching it out for wine or water or soda. I think this stopped when every latitude member started getting sparkling crap, oops mean wine.

Sent from my XT1585 using Forums mobile app

LOL, yup, however, now everyone with a Latitudes member number gets the sparkling wine as an embarkation gift... best embibed with orange juice... even if chilled.

Cheers

LOL, yup, however, now everyone with a Latitudes member number gets the sparkling wine as an embarkation gift... best embibed with orange juice... even if chilled.

Cheers

We had two bottles. Left them in the room. (and we drink a lot)

I'm with you. I'm not going to argue or cause a scene because of a couple of dollars. If they charge me for my side in Cagney's, so be it.

of course you are right as is the poster above you. The clue, read the policy and what is allowed, have a question ask when you get to the dining room and if you get charge a few bucks, think of what you have paid for the cruise and suck it up. I am not going to be upset over a few bucks.

You had a free meal. How are they going to give you something back when you didn't pay anything for it? 50% back on nothing is still nothing. As for the soda, ok, I guess that might be a legit concern. Otherwise, it isn't the restaurant's fault your wife could find nothing she liked. :confused:

The idea of spending time in the specialty restaurant trying to figure out what we can and can't have is not appealing to us at all.

We are new Platinum and I think it would be embarrassing to us, to a waiter and would spoil the evening for sure. We might just order what we want and pay the difference.

That is exactly what we do. In the scheme of things a charge of a few dollars makes very little difference. I’m sure that attitude, whether wise or not financially, makes a massive difference to our enjoyment of the cruise.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

even funnier they dont give money back when you order very little

I will never understand this line of thought.

The platinum benefits are a package, some of which appeal to people and some don’t. I never use everything, and certainly don’t expect to get anything back for it.

Just curious the one enter was 25 which accounts for $5 then they had two add’l apps at lets say $5 each and they said they had a third side $5? Is that where the add’l charge came from? I just got off the escape and we both had $20 entrees and got two sides each

Just curious the one enter was 25 which accounts for $5 then they had two add’l apps at lets say $5 each and they said they had a third side $5? Is that where the add’l charge came from? I just got off the escape and we both had $20 entrees and got two sides each

I think there is a misunderstanding. The meal calls for one appetizer, one entree, and one dessert. Appetizers, soups, and salads are NOT what is meant by "sides". All the sides offered in Cagney's are priced at $2 each. There is no way to have a $5 third side.

These are the items that would be considered to be "sides":

Cagney Fries

Grilled Beetroot and Red Shallots

Green Beans

Creamed Corn

Gratin Potatoes

Steamed Broccoli

Garlic Mash

Onion Rings

Bean Chili Casserole with Bacon

Orzo Pilaf

Roasted Mushrooms

Coleslaw

Mac’n Cheese

Sautéed Spinach

To clarify:

We had a $5 upcharge on an entree, a $10 charge for 5 sides (since none were included per the waitress because of the cost of our entrees) and a charge for either the soup or salad for each of us. Plus 18% led to the approximate $25 charge.

Again I just thought it was silly to not include any sides based on the cost of the entree. That would mean most entrees would be served sideless as very few things were under $20.

To clarify:

We had a $5 upcharge on an entree, a $10 charge for 5 sides (since none were included per the waitress because of the cost of our entrees) and a charge for either the soup or salad for each of us. Plus 18% led to the approximate $25 charge.

Again I just thought it was silly to not include any sides based on the cost of the entree. That would mean most entrees would be served sideless as very few things were under $20.

Respectfully, I would have to disagree with this statement. The current Cagney's menu offers 13 different entrees: 4 Featured Specialties, 5 Steak Entrees, and 4 Seafood Entrees. Two of the Seafood and one of the Featured Specialties are priced above $20. 10 out of 13 entrees (77%) are priced so that they would be included with the dinner at no extra charge.

Hope this will help. Found it on the NCL website.

What do the specialty dinner benefits cover?

This benefit offers two dinners for two at a specialty restaurant for Platinum, Platinum Plus and Ambassador guests. Each stateroom will receive a voucher in their Welcome Back card on embarkation day for:

• - One dinner for two at Cagney’s or Le Bistro with a bottle of wine
  • - One dinner for two at Moderno or La Cucina

This benefit is no longer delivered per guest but now delivered per stateroom. Service charges are included in this benefit.

Benefit entitles each guest to one appetizer, one entrée and one dessert of your choice. Entrée items up to $20 are covered. For items over this amount, an upcharge will be added to your onboard account. Any entrée item under $20 includes one side. For any entrée item over $20, sides are at an additional cost. Entrée items Cote De Boeuf Pour Deux in Le Bistro, is a shared dish and will be treated as two entrées.

Has anyone tried to your their Platinum certificate just for the bottle of wine (even though I know that they aren't "good")?

We will be Platinum on our February cruise. We are in the Haven and will already have three specialty meals. We may or may not want to go back for two more. Has anyone had any luck handing them the certificate and asking for the wine, but just had the meals charged to the SDP?

None of this is a big deal to us -- I'm just curious.

Thanks!

Hope this will help. Found it on the NCL website.

That’s interesting. When I look in the usual place on the website I don’t see any reference to sides.

It’s an odd rule, but perhaps that does provide some clarity. It meals that the actual price difference between a $19 entree and a $21 one is $4.

Has anyone tried to your their Platinum certificate just for the bottle of wine (even though I know that they aren't "good")?

We will be Platinum on our February cruise. We are in the Haven and will already have three specialty meals. We may or may not want to go back for two more. Has anyone had any luck handing them the certificate and asking for the wine, but just had the meals charged to the SDP?

None of this is a big deal to us -- I'm just curious.

Thanks!

We have done it. Hostess said sure no problem. Did it when we had the extra SDP last night of cruise and Platinum meal left. We were able to get bottle of wine and order what we wanted.

We have done it. Hostess said sure no problem. Did it when we had the extra SDP last night of cruise and Platinum meal left. We were able to get bottle of wine and order what we wanted.

Thanks. We may try this when we sail in February. I just can't see us doing five specialty dinners, but we may change our mind.

We had a similar issue of escape. We're platinum plus and were using our dinner for 2 voucher with a bottle of wine. We were told we could only spend $20 on an entree and there was only 1 thing under $20. We were then told that it did not include any sides but we could have 1 appetiser and 1 desert each. We don't eat desert s we asked if we could have 2 sides instead and were told no. So we called over the maitre D and said that this free dinner for 2 is not a free dinner. She agreed to let us have the sides instead of the desert but would charge us for the extra above $20 for the for the entree. Our wine didn't arrive, our entree came and we asked again for the wine. My medium rare steak was well done and my husbands lamb chops were raw, we asked the waiter to resolve it and he just argued. In the end the maitre d waved the up charge but the food was terrible. By the time the wine arrived we had finished the replacement entree so we asked for it to be sent to la cucina where we would be eating the next day, they lost the bottle. We grabbed the f&b and the HD who were just heading Into the restaurant and shared our experience, cagneys is my favourite restaurant on ncl. They offered for us to come back the next day but we said we were booked in la cucina and it was the last of our paid for by us sdp and to be honest we really didn't want a repeat.

Sent from my iPad using Forums

We had a similar issue of escape. We're platinum plus and were using our dinner for 2 voucher with a bottle of wine. We were told we could only spend $20 on an entree and there was only 1 thing under $20.
Did Cagney's raise their prices recently? Last time I ate there, there were like 10 entrees $20 or under? If only one is now $20 or less, I'll use my SDP instead of the dining perk.

Respectfully, I would have to disagree with this statement. The current Cagney's menu offers 13 different entrees: 4 Featured Specialties, 5 Steak Entrees, and 4 Seafood Entrees. Two of the Seafood and one of the Featured Specialties are priced above $20. 10 out of 13 entrees (77%) are priced so that they would be included with the dinner at no extra charge.

I am going to respectfully disagree with your disagreement.

There are 17 entrees and 7 are under $20 (35%).

Entrees that would include sides are:

- Lamb Chops

- Pork Chops

- Ribeye

- 5 oz Filet

- New York Strip

- Tuna Steak

- Sea Bass

A couple of weeks ago on the Jade we both ordered the $20.00 8 oz. filet and the waiter said we both would get one side. We did not expect a side as our voucher said 1 app/salad/soup, 1 entrée $20 or less, and 1 dessert each. Anything more than that would mean an additional charge. This seems to vary from ship to ship, but perhaps on the Jade the inclusion of a side is interpreted as $20.00 and less. Nevertheless, there is an online FAQ that says we get a side and the voucher and the information on the Latitudes levels page do not seem to include them. No wonder there is confusion and MAYHEM! It is sad to have a naked steak on a plate with no sides though. I hope they clarify this with everyone soon! We did consider dropping by the buffet to pick up some sides to have with our steak. :) But also we were seated by the path from the grill to the waiters' door to Moderno's. I also considered asking a waiter for a slice of pineapple. :) Fortunately we did not starve aboard the Jade. :D