When “The Love Boat” wasn’t a Princess

dmwnc1959

Having not seen every episode, here I sit on a late Sunday afternoon watching MeTV enjoying “The Love Boat” and low and behold our favorite crew boards the Royal Viking Sky in Southampton.

What a treat to see this lovely old lady again from the past, her open decks and interiors, and watching her sail across my television screen.

I know she sails now as the Boudicca for Fred Olden Cruise Line, but I remember way back in the day seeing RVS and her lovely sister ships docked in places like San Francisco, NYC, and Naples, Italy.

:cool:

Edited by dmwnc1959

I have noticed some of the episodes where the ship wasn’t the Pacific Princess. We sailed on the Holland America Prinsendam a few years ago and that ship was originally the Royal Viking Sun when she came out in 1989. Loved the old world touches and open deck spaces. And Talk about a nice, wide promenade deck!!

Sent from my iPad using Forums

How interesting. I have not seen every episode either, but I was not aware the show used any exteriors other than Pacific Princess and occasionally Island Princess. I too loved the profiles of the Royal Viking ships; that was a great era of shipbuilding.

These two episodes ("Vicki and the Fugitive / Lady in the Window / Stolen Years / Dutch Treat – Part 1 and Part 2) are from Season 8 and originally aired on September 29, 1984. It’s interesing to see that the crew are also wearing Royal Viking Line name tags (of course, since they’re on the RVS). The itinerary is short, just Copenhagen and Amsterdam.

You can definitely tell the staged “set” shots from the actual deck and interior shots aboard Royal Viking Sky. Just wonderful.

As much as I loved watching the Pacific Princess, this was a fascinating break from the usual “Love Boat”.

:D

These two episodes ("Vicki and the Fugitive / Lady in the Window / Stolen Years / Dutch Treat – Part 1 and Part 2) are from Season 8 and originally aired on September 29, 1984. It’s interesing to see that the crew are also wearing Royal Viking Line name tags (of course, since they’re on the RVS). The itinerary is short, just Copenhagen and Amsterdam.

You can definitely tell the staged “set” shots from the actual deck and interior shots aboard Royal Viking Sky. Just wonderful.

As much as I loved watching the Pacific Princess, this was a fascinating break from the usual “Love Boat”.

Hi Dave, long time no hear from you. We were booked on NCL Sunward in the late eighties or early nineties and we thought we were going to a tiny ship. But lo and behold when we arrived at the pier it turned out NCL had purchased the Sky and renamed it Sunward. What a pleasant surprise and what a lovely ship. When is your next trip? Thanks for your help from before and have a great day.

I'm watching the episode right now on MeTV.

Couldn't agree more. Very interesting to see these two "different" type of episodes.

Hi Dave, long time no hear from you. We were booked on NCL Sunward in the late eighties or early nineties and we thought we were going to a tiny ship. But lo and behold when we arrived at the pier it turned out NCL had purchased the Sky and renamed it Sunward. What a pleasant surprise and what a lovely ship. When is your next trip? Thanks for your help from before and have a great day.

Booked again for 2019, and I’m looking forward to getting back out on the “high seas”again. ;) I’ve been filling my months since my last cruise with a new passion for the theater and performing arts, so it’s not been cobwebs and broomsticks for the past several years.

I remember last seeing the Pacific Princess in NYC when a group of us were doing a 2-nt getaway on the Carnival Pride and she parked over at the pier next to us.

Edited by dmwnc1959

I'm watching the episode right now on MeTV.

We were watching also, it actually as a very touching 2 part episode.

I did not expect the Cloris Leachman/ George Kennedy relationship to go the way ti did.

Indeed. She saved him in more ways than one, and he never realized it.

Altogether a wonderful double-episode, and Peter turned out to be a Prince for Vickie after all.

I have noticed some of the episodes where the ship wasn’t the Pacific Princess. We sailed on the Holland America Prinsendam a few years ago and that ship was originally the Royal Viking Sun when she came out in 1989. Loved the old world touches and open deck spaces. And Talk about a nice, wide promenade deck!!

I know when Love Boat went to China they used Pearl of Scandinavia.

Couldn't agree more. Very interesting to see these two "different" type of episodes.

Best part about being able to receive MeTV is looking forward to “exciting and new...” episodes of “The Love Boat”, where we can “...come aboard” every Sunday because “they’re expecting yooouuuu”.

I never new this. Good catch.

Keith

They make a big deal about it on the show - it is not difficult to notice. On one show, they said they were swapping crew on the ships.

I used to have it on my DVR and one time a year ago, several episodes that they aired in a row were on different ships. Not sure how they aired in real time. Me TV was showing a lot of the extended/double episodes and a lot of these happened outside of Mexico routes and these were on these other ships.

You will find me every Sunday on the couch watching these great old "Love Boat" episodes....sometimes wearing my "Love Boat" t-shirt. This is the show that originally got me hooked on cruising. Imagine my surprise when I boarded my first ship (the Cunard Countess) only to find that the cabin was about 1/3 of the size of the cabins on the Pacific Princess and the pool didn't have lily pads floating in it at night! Instead it was covered so that no one who was possibly over served would fall in!

Best part about being able to receive MeTV is looking forward to “exciting and new...” episodes of “The Love Boat”, where we can “...come aboard” every Sunday because “they’re expecting yooouuuu”.

Ahh yes, and that is exactly how the staff made you feel when I first started cruising on Sitmar. It's such a shame that corporate policies have replaced guest experience with the bottom line.

Soon we'll be eating another meal...

I was suprised that a light-hearted show had scenes with ****s and people being shot.

It seemed very out of place.

Cloris Leachman was happy she saved george kennedy, but that was probably

before Police Squad...

I wonder how many people were fooled after watching the show, booked and saw the actual cabins, I googled the Pacific Princess and they actually have a lot of neat pictures, deck plans etc. I guess it got really neglected near the end before they sold it for scrap.

We always laugh at the size of the cabins and the length of the officers shorts!

The cabins for sure! If only they WERE so large and roomy. Well, I guess they are when you pay for a suite.

I loved when the show 'traveled' to China and other far destinations. More interesting story lines.