Chic night and long dresses....

monakayk

I was wondering since X doesn't have formal nights but now 'Chic Nights'...do some ladies still wear long dresses...not really formals but long nice cocktail type dresses? Or are mostly worn those nights short cocktail dresses?

ALso how many men still wear dark suits? Will my DH be out of place wearing his entire suit or should he just wear the pants with a long sleeve button down shirt with a tie?

Thanks in advance.

Just off the Reflection last week and there were a number of ladies in long dresses and men in suits and a few Tux's.

I would say the majority of men were not wearing a suit - sport jacket, or just long sleeved shirt with or without tie. Ladies in short dresses, or pants and a dressy top.

I was wondering since X doesn't have formal nights but now 'Chic Nights'...do some ladies still wear long dresses...not really formals but long nice cocktail type dresses? Or are mostly worn those nights short cocktail dresses?

ALso how many men still wear dark suits? Will my DH be out of place wearing his entire suit or should he just wear the pants with a long sleeve button down shirt with a tie?

Thanks in advance.

Your husband will not be out of place wearing his entire suit. I used to bring a suit all the time and then wear a sports jacket on the flight in order to save room in the luggage. What I do now is pack a plain navy blue jacketin my checked bag together with a navy blue pair of Haggar dress pants in my carry on. The combo looks like a full navy suit but is more versatile in that the pants can also be worn with golf shirts or button down shirts at other times during the cruise. If he wants to pack a couple of ties as well, he’s got most of the bases covered.

I still wear a sports jacket on the flight to and from the cruise. Not only does it save room in the luggage but we’re convinced it helps if you are asking for an upgrade at the airport.

Randy

Sent from my iPhone using Forums

Thanks in advance.

I wear a long dress, lots of bling, and my husband usually wears a suit, but no tie. I like to dress up, so I'll take any chance I get. And we tend to get pics those nights.

Thanks in advance.[/

You will see some fellow cruisers in tuxedos and more formal wear so wear what you feel is right for you.

Randy

Edited by Schmoe38

I usually wear a long skirt and some kind of sparkly top - same thing I wore for formal but it isn't really formal.

I have also worn a maxi skirt and very wide legged palazzo pants that *look* like a long skirt.

The long black skirt is from Chico's - a Traveler's knit long skirt. (I also wear it as part of my "concert black" when I sing on stage with symphony chorus and other choirs). Another black skirt I have is three layers and I got it on sale a few years ago at Stein Mart. I seem to have quite a collection of black pieces for singing, and they work great I've found for cruising too.

On warm weather cruises I see maxi "sun" dresses. A long dress can be casual to formal. And you'll see a variety.

Wear what you want. I choose what I feel good in and that DH likes.

He is down to a Navy blazer with khaki colored pants in warm climates. Men wear everything from shirt with dress jeans to full suit and tie.

Very few men wear tuxes.

You didn't mention when and where you're sailing. Caribbean itineraries tend to be more casual than other types, unless it's a holiday sailing. That being said, wear what you like. You'll see a wide variety and whatever you choose that fits the relatively wide guidelines will be acceptable, and you will see others dressed similarly.

On Caribbean cruises my husband brings his tux and I wear either a short or long formal dress, whatever I feel like when I'm packing. We love to dress up and my husband always gets compliments on his tux. Don't be afraid to dress however you like.

Sent from my SM-G900V using Tapatalk

I usually wear a long skirt and some kind of sparkly top - same thing I wore for formal but it isn't really formal.

I have also worn a maxi skirt and very wide legged palazzo pants that *look* like a long skirt.

The long black skirt is from Chico's - a Traveler's knit long skirt. (I also wear it as part of my "concert black" when I sing on stage with symphony chorus and other choirs). Another black skirt I have is three layers and I got it on sale a few years ago at Stein Mart. I seem to have quite a collection of black pieces for singing, and they work great I've found for cruising too.

Had to smile when I read your post..Just washed my "Liz" long black knit skirt & took out my Pillazo pants to take to the cleaners today.. Taking them both on our Christmas cruise next month with blouses & tops with bling.. We only have 2 Chic nights on our 11 day but figure I can wear my long skirt with a couple of plain tops with less bling on smart casual nights..The long skirt & pants have been the mainstay of my semi formal cruises the past couple of years..Only time I get to wear them is on a cruise.. Will also take my long red Christmas dress this cruise which I normally only wear on Christmas Eve.. I'm so excited to be able to dress up for a couple of weeks.. :D Don't get to dress up much here in South Florida..:( BTW DH's suit just back from the cleaners..He never wears it here in Fla.DH used to be in a Barbershop chorus & always wore his Tux, but never gets to wear it any more either, not even on a cruise..

That's the only thing I miss, as we always dressed up in NY..

P.S. Also miss going out to build a snowman in fresh snow, but not enough to go back.. LOL

Edited by serendipity1499

You didn't mention when and where you're sailing. Caribbean itineraries tend to be more casual than other types, unless it's a holiday sailing. That being said, wear what you like. You'll see a wide variety and whatever you choose that fits the relatively wide guidelines will be acceptable, and you will see others dressed similarly.

Absolutely right. Or to put it another way, my experience of Med cruises is that people dress more formally than the impression I get from other posters is the norm on Caribbean cruises. One man in a code-compliant smart collared short-sleeved shirt said he felt out of place alongside suits, jackets, some ties and some DJs. Others, similarly attired, didn't mind, and there's no real reason why they should!

Stuart

I still wear my long, formal dresses on Chic evenings but, then, I will wear them on special occasions that are not Chic evenings as well. I wear cocktails dresses on other evenings and long, informal dresses during the day. My husband wears his DJ/Tux on Chic nights and may wear a suit on other evenings depending on how he feels.

We are never made to feel out of place and are usually complimented on what we wear. This includes on Caribbean cruises.

I still wear my long, formal dresses on Chic evenings but, then, I will wear them on special occasions that are not Chic evenings as well. I wear cocktails dresses on other evenings and long, informal dresses during the day. My husband wears his DJ/Tux on Chic nights and may wear a suit on other evenings depending on how he feels.

We are never made to feel out of place and are usually complimented on what we wear. This includes on Caribbean cruises.

Thanks, DH decided not to take his TUX & our Friends who we are cruising with us this time, will not be dressed up as much..My Friends DH will probably only wear a sport coat as he also uses a cane & needs a wheelchair to board..

When my DH wore a Tux I used to wear heels, (he's 6'1" & I'm only 5 ft tall)..We used to love to go dancing before or after dinner, but I can no longer wear my heels since having had a hip replaced.. Therefore DH will wear his Suit & I can still wear some of my long dresses/skirts with less bling & with flats.. :cool:

It was tough getting too old to wear heels..:loudcry:LOL

I wouldn't think so. We saw many long dresses/gowns last winter on Reflection. Many men in suits also. The cruise was also over Valentine's Day so people did seem to dress up a bit more that evening. I did full suits last year and plan to do the same this upcoming winter.

I agree that you will never feel out of place for getting dressed up.

I usually wear a long cocktail-type dress and he wears a sport jacket with nice shirt and slacks. (He doesn't do suits... LOL)

We always dress up a bit more for dinner anyway just because we are usually very casual during the day, and we enjoy it :)

Thanks in advance.

It seems that women dress up more than the men on Chic night. Sparkles, long evening gowns, short cocktail dresses. My husband used to wear a tux -- now wears suit and tie. On other nights, we still dress up as in sport coat for him and nice dress for me. Sadly, we're a rarity on the non-chic nights but we enjoy! :)

I have noticed a variety of attire on the chic nights on the three cruise lines I have sailed--Holland America, Royal Caribbean and Celebrity. One thing I noticed on our Baltic cruise was nearly all the men wore a jacket. It was on Royal Caribbean but I am thinking it would be the same on Celebrity. Must be because it was a northern European cruise. We didn't pack my husband's jacket on the Baltic cruise since on our caribbean cruise there were some men who didn't wear a jacket (but did wear a dress shirt and tie). We thought we would make it easier on ourselves by leaving his jacket at home. Now we know that certain itineraries lean towards more formal wear. One thing is for sure on all the cruises we've been on some people dress up to the max.

Sorry I didn't mention it but we are going on a 15 days Panama cruise ... as my countdown ticker shows.

Thanks to all for all the great suggestions.

It seems that women dress up more than the men on Chic night. Sparkles, long evening gowns, short cocktail dresses. My husband used to wear a tux -- now wears suit and tie. On other nights, we still dress up as in sport coat for him and nice dress for me. Sadly, we're a rarity on the non-chic nights but we enjoy! :)

This is exactky what my wife and I do. We leave Sunday for 14 days on the Eclipse and this is how we will roll. :cocktail: