Service dog - port accessibility

desertvikiingkgb

We are cruising to Panama, Jamaica, artagena, Costa Rica, and Cayman Islands with my husband's small service dog. It is somewhat confusing to understand what is required, but I think I have that covered. My question is, if we are not going ashore, does he still need the health certificate, etc?

Thanks!

:ship:

We are cruising to Panama, Jamaica, artagena, Costa Rica, and Cayman Islands with my husband's small service dog. It is somewhat confusing to understand what is required, but I think I have that covered. My question is, if we are not going ashore, does he still need the health certificate, etc?

Thanks!

Yes. Even if you don't plan to take the dog ashore, things can happen and you might have to take the dog ashore. You need all the required documentation or they will not allow the dog to board the ship.

Have you visited the Disabled Cruise Travel forum here? Lots of experience over there:

https://boards.cruisecritic.com/forumdisplay.php?s=&daysprune=365&f=190

Yes - Princess requires the International Health Certificate regardless if you are getting off the ship. You most likely will have to produce it even before you board the ship on the first day.

I used to travel with my Mom and her Service dog. The itinerary you are on is a difficult one if you want to leave the ship with the dog (I know you indicate that you do not plan on it). This itinerary requires research in each port on their laws and possible advance permits (no ADA here). Also, my Mom's dog really wanted to leave the ship periodically and visit real grass, etc...

Also realize the implications if for some reason your husband or you get ill and must leave the ship early, if you are unable to get of the ship with the dog due to local agriculture laws, what will you end up doing? Due to this, I was very careful what ports we visited when my Mom had the Service dog. Things happen.

Edited by Coral

Would there be quarantine issues you would need to consider for the service dog in the countries you will be visiting? Many countries will not allow animals in, even with health certificates, without placing them in quarantine for a period of time. Also, am just curious that if your partner requires to have his service animal with him on the ship why he would not require the same off the ship? I don't know much about service animals and am just wondering as my perception of them may be different than reality.

Thanks!

I hope this is a "real" service dog & not an imposter! There are WAY too many frauds out there. Stiff fines are now(finally) being implemented to stem the fraudulent use of "pets" as service animals. To answer the question: Yes, you will need proof of health needs. Foreign countries do not follow US ADA rules.

Also, am just curious that if your partner requires to have his service animal with him on the ship why he would not require the same off the ship? I don't know much about service animals and am just wondering as my perception of them may be different than reality.

My guess is that the service dog and its owner would remain on board. However, some owners can function without the service animal, with a human being providing the necessary service. For example, haven't you seen a blind person being assisted by a human guide? That does not mean that his seeing eye dog is unnecessary!

My guess is that the service dog and its owner would remain on board. However, some owners can function without the service animal, with a human being providing the necessary service. For example, haven't you seen a blind person being assisted by a human guide? That does not mean that his seeing eye dog is unnecessary!

Princess doesn't want Service dogs left in the cabin alone. They have strict guidelines.

The OP said they are not getting off the ship. My only worry is if an illness would occur and the people have to get off the ship for medical reasons.

I hope this is a "real" service dog & not an imposter! There are WAY too many frauds out there. Stiff fines are now(finally) being implemented to stem the fraudulent use of "pets" as service animals. To answer the question: Yes, you will need proof of health needs. Foreign countries do not follow US ADA rules.

Tell us more about the “stiff fines”

If I required a service animal I would not consider taking that animal on a cruiseship. I can't imagine that a dog is comfortable in this environment and I'm sure the poor dog would be miserable. There are many land vacations that could accommodate service dogs and the dog would actually be happy. Sometimes we just have to make lifestyle changes for the benefit of everyone, including the dog.

IMHO, this is just another area where people are breaking the rules and getting away with it.

A service animal means any dog that is individually trained to do work or perform tasks for the benefit of an individual with a disability, including a physical, sensory, psychiatric, intellectual, or other mental disability. Tasks performed can include, among other things, pulling a wheelchair, retrieving dropped items, alerting a person to a sound, reminding a person to take medication, or pressing an elevator button.

Emotional support animals, comfort animals, and therapy dogs are not service animals under Title II and Title III of the ADA. Other species of animals, whether wild or domestic, trained or untrained, are not considered service animals either. The work or tasks performed by a service animal must be directly related to the individual’s disability. It does not matter if a person has a note from a doctor that states that the person has a disability and needs to have the animal for emotional support. A doctor’s letter does not turn an animal into a service animal.

If I required a service animal I would not consider taking that animal on a cruiseship. I can't imagine that a dog is comfortable in this environment and I'm sure the poor dog would be miserable. There are many land vacations that could accommodate service dogs and the dog would actually be happy. Sometimes we just have to make lifestyle changes for the benefit of everyone, including the dog.

I used to think the same thing. I talked to a blind man with a service dog on a cruise once and asked. He said that dogs don't get seasick, and that four on the floor is more stable than two.

Service dogs are trained to be around people. When they're "on duty," they have eyes for no one but their human and their well-being.

We just saw a golden retriever service dog on our Classic Canada NE cruise...dog looked quite content napping under the owners chair at dinner time. Other times we passed by it was laying with its head up just either looking around or up at the owner. On HAL once we ran into a nice couple where she had a dog that detected her food allergies and alerted her and also when a seizure was coming on. Cutest thing and she allowed folks to pet her, she said she filled out more paperwork for the dog to join the ship than she did to get her mortgage. We had seen the dog relief area they set up it was box of grass off to the corner side on the promenade deck. That sweet dog became like the mascot of the cruise...everyone knew her. She would give a command and then she would say it was ok to pet the dog. She did have a hard time in the ports as Mexico has the no leash law and she was not about to have her dog on no leash...so when she went off she took her wheel chair vs the walker we saw her with and kept the dog in her lap.

We have been on cruises with service dogs that you could easily tell were important to the owner. Except on our last cruise. There was a family with a little dog. The dog was always with someone different. And petted and played with by everyone in the family. It also barked for no apparent reason. If anyone else looked at the dog with a raised eyebrow, the family got very defensive and were quick to call it a service animal. In my humble opinion this was most definitely a fake service animal. Sad really that some take advantage of this wonderful life saving service.