Do you book directly with RCI or use a Travel Agent? Advantages/disadvantages???

bandjwayne

I always do my own research and book directly Royal. Then I transfer the booking to my TA for additional perks. Sometimes a TA will have "group" space reserved and can offer a lower price for the cruise in addition to the other perks they offer. It's worth investigating and doing some research.

Be careful not to miss the 60-day window to transfer reservation. Bob posted a link.

... No one else in the office would help up. ...

You did the right thing, dumping that travel agent. Someone in that office should have halped you. That's happened to us a couple of times when our agent was unavailable, and we were able to get help by calling the main office.

Have always booked direct with Royal, but just this month booked through one of the big cruise websites - had already researched and knew which ship, date, room I wanted - they were offering price that was $200 lower than RC, plus paid gratuities, plus $200 OBC - and they are available 24 hours a day to call. I have always liked to control my reservation - but gave that up this time as the benefits seemed too good to pass up - hope I don't regret it!
Can you PM this travel agent?

Sent from my Z981 using Forums mobile app

I would also check with your friends who use a TA and see who they like. I have used a local one as I like the personal contact. Friends of ours use a large company and have been happy. It is best to do your research and ask questions regarding their policy on cancellations or any changes you might make regarding your booking.

We get competitive bids from TAs . Generally ,we have booked primarily with 2 TAs who will match or beat the lowest bid & we also get extra on board credits . :D

We never book directly with the cruise line . Our TA can better take care of any unforeseen things .:)

Negotiate implies that you are able to get a better deal or additional perks. IME I have never known Royal to negotiate anything. They either have the room or they don't and they have set prices that they don't deviate from.

On the other hand you may certainly be able to negotiate OBC / extra perks with some travel agents.

I have only ever booked through RCI, in the cruise I am about to go on in Jan I was able to ring and get the lower price that was advertised in OBC which came to $179, if I hadn't phoned them I wouldn't have the extra credit to spend.

I book with an online travel agency after doing much research to find the best price/perks. Before booking I call the cruise line directly to see if they can match what I've found, but they have never been able to do so.

I have only ever booked through RCI, in the cruise I am about to go on in Jan I was able to ring and get the lower price that was advertised in OBC which came to $179, if I hadn't phoned them I wouldn't have the extra credit to spend.

That's great but that's not negotiating. You simply called in for a price reduction. You could have done the same thing if you'd used TA.

Sent from my STH100-1 using Forums mobile app

I just booked a cruise Friday directly through RCCL. I tried to use a TA, both online and local, but none offered a better price. Most offered the same price the RCCL offered me and a couple charged even more. I actually got more OBC from cruise line than the agents offered. I guess each case is different.

I just booked a cruise Friday directly through RCCL. I tried to use a TA, both online and local, but none offered a better price. Most offered the same price the RCCL offered me and a couple charged even more. I actually got more OBC from cruise line than the agents offered. I guess each case is different.

A good TA will give you 10% OBC after taxes & port charges are deducted from your fare. So, you could get your best deal from Celebrity and transfer it to a TA within 60 days to get the 10% OBC.

I have a travel agent - a GOOD travel agent - that I've worked with for a number of years.

Pros - travel agency deals on top of cruise line offers (OBC, specialty dining packages, alcohol packages, gifts for special occasions), third party travel insurance (not sold by any cruise line, thus eliminating the potential conflict of interest), excellent service, fantastic communication, occasional free or no-cost upgrades (when approved....my regular balcony on the Getaway became a spa balcony for an additional $4.52. Yay, travel agent), occasionally I will get cruises for TA rates

Cons - everything has to be done through the TA. Not a problem for me, mine is fantastic. However, it can vary from TA to TA.

Neutral - prices have always been roughly the same. It's the perks that are different.

If my travel agent didn't give me any perks, I would book directly with the cruiseline and cut out the middleman. I usually book my cruise directly with the cruiseline and then transfer to the TA within 60 days for 10%sb credit.

When we first started cruising, we had to use an agent, since online booking wasn't available and agents offered little to no incentive to book with them. They didn't have to, to get your business. Very few brick and mortar agencies exist anymore. My, how times have changed. :)

I have always booked direct, but the next two cruises, I have transferred to a TA.

The main reason is, I travel a lot internationally for work. From outside the US is it sometimes almost impossible to get to the US RCI site. So I cannot check prices changes.

So for me, one of the main perks of the TA is price monitoring. Some TAs do not offer this.

From

When we first cruised 15+ years ago we booked the first few cruises through a local travel agent. Since then we've booked directly with RCI or Carnival. We have researched exactly what ship & itinerary and even room we want so it's a pretty easy process. What I'm wondering is how many people use travel agents today and what are the advantages & disadvantages? Do you really get a price better than the website, even with just one room? Are you still able to book the shows, speciality dining, drink packages, etc?Thanks!
fr

From past experience we have found booking thru Royal is beneficial because if your cruise is delayed returning Royal will reschedule tour air flights otherwise you will be responsible for rescheduling yourself. That being said, I believe they give you free phone access. Also, always buy insurance we recently had to cancel a cruise at the last minute and lost very little money. Schedule your future cruise while onboard you get better choice of rooms & onboard credit. Enjoy your cruise!