New York Cruise Question

eblack55

I'm cruising out of New York in fall of 2018. I'm debating driving there (from Florida) or flying. Parking at the cruise terminal is $40 a day. My question is: are there any hotels that I can stay at the night before and leave my vehicle there (if I drive) and take a cab? I've googled it but am not having much luck so any help would be appreciated :)

Sent from my SM-N920V using Tapatalk

Check the East Coast departures forum for some good ideas.

Meanwhile.... very unusual that someone is coming from Florida to take cruise out of NYC. New England/Canada maybe?

Yes. There are only so many times I can go to the Bahamas/Mexico/Caribbean. I have 5 ports within 5 hours of where I live now but want to see the east coast. Thanks :)

not that I know of. We stay in that part of NY pretty often and almost all of the hotels dont even have their own parking (use valet with a local parking service). You would have to find some place WAY outside the city and then find a way in.
Ok. That's what I needed to know. I appreciate it.

The Hilton Garden Inn in Ridgefield Park, NJ, has a great park, stay, cruise package. We parked for 10 days for our Canadian cruise in October. It's about 30 minutes or so away from the port. They provide limo transportation to and from the port included in the price. We thought it was a great savings compared to staying some place else and paying for port parking. The hotel is nice and in a safe area.

The Hilton Garden Inn in Ridgefield Park, NJ, has a great park, stay, cruise package. We parked for 10 days for our Canadian cruise in October. It's about 30 minutes or so away from the port. They provide limo transportation to and from the port included in the price. We thought it was a great savings compared to staying some place else and paying for port parking. The hotel is nice and in a safe area.
Thanks. I will look into it :)

I second the recommendation for Hilton Garden Inn in Ridgefield Park, NJ. Nice hotel, decent (included) breakfast, short drive to port via car service - very convenient. We booked their stay, park and cruise package in 2016 and have it booked again for next year. For our 10 nighter next year the entire package is less money that it would cost just to park at the pier. It probably isn't the best choice if you are wanting to spend time in NYC, but if you are just looking for a place to crash the night before your cruise and a safe place to park your car, it fits the bill nicely.

Someone recommended the Marriott Courtyard, Jersey City, across the river from Manhattan. There is a NJ PATH train station that is literally right next door to the hotel that you can jump on and get to Central Station in NYC (the amount of luggage you are toting along is a concern if you plan to do this.) Parking at the hotel is $26 a day, but call them to see if you can leave your car there while you cruise.

Jersey City is typically less costly than NYC. You can hire a car service like Carmel for $60 to $80 with tip (we were planning to stay there but then a family member's condo opened up, so we took Carmel from Newark airport to the city for $80 with tip).

Thanks, Lenquixote66. We sold our last car in 2005 and have never regretted it, even though we were able to park it in our building for $135 a month. I enjoy the sounds of breaking glass and sheet metal denting much more now...

Edited by Langoustine

I second the recommendation for Hilton Garden Inn in Ridgefield Park, NJ. Nice hotel, decent (included) breakfast, short drive to port via car service - very convenient. We booked their stay, park and cruise package in 2016 and have it booked again for next year. For our 10 nighter next year the entire package is less money that it would cost just to park at the pier. It probably isn't the best choice if you are wanting to spend time in NYC, but if you are just looking for a place to crash the night before your cruise and a safe place to park your car, it fits the bill nicely.
We booked a room the night before our cruise with this package as well....http://hiltongardeninn3.hilton.com/en/hotels/new-jersey/hilton-garden-inn-ridgefield-park-LGARPGI/index.html

And PATH from NJ goes to a subway stop at 33rd St, a block from Penn Station. Although PATH is $2.75 per trip, You need a $20 cab ride from there to the Pier and there are stairs and turnstiles to negotiate with your cruise luggage. No place to leave a car in NJ near a PATH station - all garages, not as expensive as Manhattan but not very secure.

i too would fly, unless you are coming with a whole carload of people thus making driving mroe affordable.

parking at the pier is worth every penny. and its safe, locked up and patrolled except on days ships are coming or going.

There is no amount of people that would make driving round trip and parking for 7-10 nights in manhattan (at $50-65 a night) more affordable.