High alcohol prices

runner15km

We live in Myrtle Beach, and they have Happy Hour 7 days a week -- most places 4-7pm. If I pay more than $2 - $2.50 for a Bud Light or $3 - $4 for a craft beer, I'm going to the wrong place. It's not our fault you live in high priced Boston with no Happy Hour at all. :rolleyes:

Most beers on Freedom last month were beginning at $6.95 + 18%.

Hey there Wine-O, I'm not the only one who said that cruise ship drink prices are in line with drink prices in their area. I am happy you enjoy your Happy Hours and I never said it was your fault that I live in Boston. You need to lighten up a little or maybe go have a couple more of your cheap-o beers and chill. :D

Hey there Wine-O, I'm not the only one who said that cruise ship drink prices are in line with drink prices in their area. I am happy you enjoy your Happy Hours and I never said it was your fault that I live in Boston. You need to lighten up a little or maybe go have a couple more of your cheap-o beers and chill. :D

Actually, I'm going to do just that. The Mug Club meets tonight -- free pints and apps. :D;p

The prices on the ship are comparable to restaurant pricing in any major city.

I think the prices are high, but in any event, there is price and there is value. The quality (and so value) of a comparable drink on land is superior to that at sea.

Maybe the posters have not been to a NICE restaurant or bar in their home town. I live in Ocala Florida, and the prices on GOOD drinks are as much or more than a cruise ship. YES, you can find beer for $2-5 and wine on happy hour from some restaurants, but it is not truly drinkable. A glass of house wine is nearly $9, we find that ordering a bottle of GOOD wine in the $25 to $40 range is a better option for us. Maybe we are wine snobs but life is too short to drink bad wine.

Enjoying a Josh Cabernet that I paid $12.99 bottle for at my local grocery store. This is why they call it a "Sin Tax." Just saw on the Decades Channel last night that Prohibition ended in the U.S. on 12/5/1933. We love our alcohol.

Enjoying a Josh Cabernet that I paid $12.99 bottle for at my local grocery store. This is why they call it a "Sin Tax." Just saw on the Decades Channel last night that Prohibition ended in the U.S. on 12/5/1933. We love our alcohol.

Would that be one of those 4 liter bottles?

Yes, but I'm currently not on a cruise. :( I'm paying for my Happy Hours until February. :rolleyes:

Well, maybe to January.........we will get in touch when we arrive and treat you to a Happy Hour ;p

Apparantly you've never been to a Myrtle Beach Happy Hour as your foot is in your mouth!:D

I may be bonkers but do you think the reason for high alcohol prices on RC is because newbies and Gold passengers pay the $10-$12 a drink so that Diamonds can drink 3.5 hours for free. :o

I just want to say Thank You. I’m enjoying my 3.5 hrs on the Adventure of the Seas. Thanks again

Sent from my iPad using Forums

I think the prices are high, but in any event, there is price and there is value. The quality (and so value) of a comparable drink on land is superior to that at sea.

Why is the "quality" better on land??????

All the drinks I have been on board have been the same "quality" as drinks in my local bars. Maybe even better

Why is the "quality" better on land??????

All the drinks I have been on board have been the same "quality" as drinks in my local bars. Maybe even better

If you compare a Gin & Tonic on land or on ship, quality should be the same. But if you go into the more intricate drinks, many bars on ship are using concentrated mixes and juices instead of the real thing. It reduces cost and prep time. If a bar on land were to charge me those prices and used the pre-mixed stuff, they would never see me again.

dp

Well, maybe to January.........we will get in touch when we arrive and treat you to a Happy Hour ;p

Apparantly you've never been to a Myrtle Beach Happy Hour as your foot is in your mouth!:D

What???:confused:

Drink prices are WAY over our local bar prices! They are more along the lines of drinks at sporting venues, rather than bars or most restaurants. Outrageous pricing. It's one thing when you're at a football game for 3 hours but an entirely different thing when you're a "captive audience" on a ship for a week!

Most of our prices run in the $3-4 for beer, and about $4-7 for mixed drinks.

Agreed. Our prices around here are similar to what you stated, unless you are at a restaurant and order a really special specialty cocktail. In some of the larger metro areas, you may see drink prices more in line with Royals prices (or more), but everything in those places is more expensive (and pay is usually higher too).

For what it is worth OP, my opinion is that they keep the prices of drinks high to make the drink packages seem more appealing. If your mixed drinks are $10 each, the $50 pp/day drink package sounds more reasonable- even for people that don't drink much.

Agreed. Our prices around here are similar to what you stated, unless you are at a restaurant and order a really special specialty cocktail. In some of the larger metro areas, you may see drink prices more in line with Royals prices (or more), but everything in those places is more expensive (and pay is usually higher too).

For what it is worth OP, my opinion is that they keep the prices of drinks high to make the drink packages seem more appealing. If your mixed drinks are $10 each, the $50 pp/day drink package sounds more reasonable- even for people that don't drink much.

I'm sure that is at least part of the reasoning. If they can get people to buy a package that is guaranteed money to RCI. Even if some of those people drink a lot, considering the markup from RCI's cost, the company still makes a profit even if the customer more than breaks even. And for those who don't buy a package RCI makes out well on the price of the individual drink. However, in that case the company can't be sure just how much the passenger will contribute to income until the cruise is over.

I may be bonkers but do you think the reason for high alcohol prices on RC is because newbies and Gold passengers pay the $10-$12 a drink so that Diamonds can drink 3.5 hours for free. :o

Don't thank me, I will not purchase a drink on the ship but will enjoy my two bottles of wine. :cool:

It is nice that RC allows you to bring two bottles of wine aboard. Do you think that also maybe why the cost of the onboard drink prices are high. :evilsmile:

Edited by davekathy

Other factors?:confused:

Sure. Maybe they pump cool moist air in the rooms of those guest that have purchased the package to make them less thirsty and pump warm dry air the the rooms of those with no package to make them more thirsty. That is way they want everyone in the same room to buy the package ;p

dp

Sure. Maybe they pump cool moist air in the rooms of those guest that have purchased the package to make them less thirsty and pump warm dry air the the rooms of those with no package to make them more thirsty. That is way they want everyone in the same room to buy the package ;p

dp

Would that be the same as a contact high? :cool: